Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Source playmat??

The Source playmat??

I saw a guy at a tournament with a mtgthesource.com playmat. It looked sweet! Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain one of these?

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Re: The Source playmat??

The only way to get one is to bribe/kill someone who has one.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ource-playmats

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    I saw a guy at a tournament with a mtgthesource.com playmat. It looked sweet! Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain one of these?
    Samurai Socks is selling his for $100: http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/...ML/101143.html

Thanks for the info. How were these things created?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    Thanks for the info. How were these things created?
    You only got one if you paid the $10 and went to GP: Providence in 2011 to pick it up. Many Europeans tried to order but they ran out. I picked up 10 total I think for member who couldn't go to guarantee they got one.

-Matt

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

Get in line. Everyone knows I've been after one since day one. If I don't get the one on MOTL, I might die.
    What it takes to be a pimp:
    1. Knowing the right people.
    2. Have the money
    Not one or the other, but both.

The fastest way to become a millionare is to start with a billion dollars, then start collecting magic cards, eh? - dry cereal

Quote Originally Posted by r3dd09 View Post
    Get in line. Everyone knows I've been after one since day one. If I don't get the one on MOTL, I might die.
    What is stopping you from making your own? I'd assume that Wizards copyright regarding the art would only really matter if there was a significant amount produced, but if each person just got it done for themselves I cant imagine them doing anything about it.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by r3dd09 View Post
    You just spoiled my morning! I was planning on getting this playmat - but I guess you can outbid me any day of the week - so have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    What is stopping you from making your own? I'd assume that Wizards copyright regarding the art would only really matter if there was a significant amount produced, but if each person just got it done for themselves I cant imagine them doing anything about it.
    You would need the original graphics used or someone to recreate it. The guy who made them before chummed in a while ago and was not sending it.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

I'll sell mine for $1,000 US. Muahahahaha
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

I bet there is a bunch of great artist on here why don't we all have a create-a-playmate contest The Source 2.0

I bet I got a decent playable I can pitch in for a prize.

yes I know I typed playmate, it was an auto correct and then I read it and found it funny so I left it.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Here's a picture from a google search of what the playmat looks like for reference.

Theres a lot of companies, like this one, that will print an image on playmat for like 30$ (or cheaper in bulk). Tbh it wouldnt be that hard to recreate the image in photoshop and then just buy one yourself. It wouldn't be from the original run obviously, but no would be able to tell the difference. As discussed in the other thread, it is a copywrite issue. However, as myself and tons of other people Ive seen have done, if you're just ordering 1 playmat for personal use with WoTC images on them no one really seems to care. So ordering them in bulk, or reselling them for profit, wouldn't be a good idea, but anyone that wants one could pay the 30$ for it.

We could even take mental misstep off, and put on abrupt decay, DRS, griselbanned, jace or something else. The only tricky part would be matching the font used in "The Source" logo. The banner at the top of the page is rather low quality to just copy/paste and isolate the text. If anyone recognized that font, of if someone with one of those playmats wouldn't mind scanning their playmat and uploading the pic (even scanning it in multiple parts is fine), I could make up a recreation in like 30mins if people are interested.

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

I'd love the idea of either a recreation of the first one that the image file can be sent to people for their own use (likely a playmat), or a new one created through the contest Magic Fanatic mentioned we could do.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

The font looks like Matrix (not the one from the movie title). Unfortunately I only have a bold version of it. Quick draft:

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Your right its definitely Matrix. That looks pretty sick! I happen to have both bold and non-bold matrix. Ill recreate a playmat image later today.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    Your right its definitely Matrix. That looks pretty sick! I happen to have both bold and non-bold matrix. Ill recreate a playmat image later today.
    Make sure it is big 10 MP or larger in resolution so when it is printed it comes out super sharp
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Jun 2011
    Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    The font looks like Matrix (not the one from the movie title). Unfortunately I only have a bold version of it. Quick draft: playmat
    This looks awesome, good job!

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Well, thanks. If I acquire the actual font I could make the .psd file available and everyone could order a playmat with their own favourite artwork.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

I'm fairly certain the font matrix is owned by wizards and I know on MTGS at least, when discussing it no one was allowed to directly link a place to download it. I remember it being hard to come by. However, if search around a little bit you can find it online.

EDIT: Also for the playmat to look good the image needs to fit a template inkedplaymats has on their site. It's like 3600x2100 pixels roughly so any image smaller than that, or blown up to be that big is going to look fairly distorted when printed out.

I put something together real quick to be as close as the original from what I could see, swapped out misstep and added jtms, havent done anything with the pictures yet cause I wasnt sure if you guys wanted those pictures, and I probably would have to scan pictures of my cards unless I could get decent high res pictures for some like stp. The file is 5kx3k pixels, which is basically the format of that inked playmats site. Also going to add the '.' in the url later since it is formatted differently, lmk suggestions.

Thread Information