Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lack of combo placing?

lack of combo placing?

I am not sure where combo is going in your stores, however i feel like its taking over my meta, and wanted to discuss where we feel it is going on a more global scale.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

Re: lack of combo placing?

In my shop theres around 50% combo. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But only S&T variants, Aluren, Dredge & Reanimator. Have never seen storm which is kinda weird for germany.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Too much hate vs Storm and abyssal MU vs S&T variations

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

For its own thread, your opening posts is really pretty shallow. No offense, but this is no chatroom.

I believe Storm Combo is one of the most potent archetypes in Legacy, yet too many people (myself included if I were to play it) only know how to play it "properly" but not extraordinary well. That + the decrease in general graveyard hate in sideboards, allowing for more dedicated anticombo cards, is keeping it down to just average showings at best.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Jun 2012
    Argentina

maybe it's because show and tell is a dumber (a really dumb) combo, that doesn't need dedication to play properly

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by SaberTooth View Post
    maybe it's because show and tell is a dumber (a really dumb) combo, that doesn't need dedication to play properly
    And still way too many people are horrible with the deck. Last event I went to I saw a guy siding out all Show and Tells against Reanimator when in fact Reanimator must side out THEIR Show and Tells because Sneak Shows S&Ts are much better. So he got what he deserved, Pithing Needle on Sneak Attack
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I agree that the fact that at larger events there just arent enough good storm players to actually place. Locally it may be different because due to a larger amount of budget decks, it allows combo to run rampant through a meta. But easy games at your LGS do not teach a storm player how to become better... (Hence why I suck)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

My opening post was short because i had nothing left to say, it leaves more room for discussion if i make it less specific.

Anyhow! My meta is also around 50 percent combo, and whats interesting is that people have made attempts to play decks that are strong against it, but they never do that well. A player recently made rug delver (supposedly is strong against combo) and went 1/3, getting crushed by sneak/show, belcher, and storm, and beating goblins. the most interesting thing to me is that it seems like combo can play through any amount of hate in numbers, while sometimes the control decks cannot fight through what combo brings in (defense grid, carpet flowers, xantid swarm etc etc) I don't visit larger tournaments very often, how do most players fight combo, or is their just not as much of it? i have watched some European matches, and they are very combo heavy, and blue is not as big a thing. I wander if the NA meta and their meta clashed, who would come out on top?

PS, sneak and show sometimes DOES have to side out show and tell against reanimator, they have deathless angel and blazing archon, both of which hose SnS creatures. unless you are maining 3 plus removal, that's -2/4 show and tell, and + 2 through the breaches i believe.
    Last edited by noahgs; 07-03-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: answering a question

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I mean does that dude know how to play RUG delver properly? I know that a good Storm Player can beat RUG. Storm is just a very powerful deck.

Seems like your meta needs more chalice of the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Are we calling a Top 8 and two Top 16 finishes from SCG Philly a lack of placing? (ANT in 6th, ANT in 11th, OmniHalls in 16th)

Locally it fluctuates between 20-40% depending on the tournament/week. If combo picks up at the weekly events it's usually countered/hated out the next week to maintain at least a healthy play environment. It tends to do better and piloted by fewer at the larger (>40) events however.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Are we calling a Top 8 and two Top 16 finishes from SCG Philly a lack of placing? (ANT in 6th, ANT in 11th, OmniHalls in 16th)

Locally it fluctuates between 20-40% depending on the tournament/week. If combo picks up at the weekly events it's usually countered/hated out the next week to maintain at least a healthy play environment. It tends to do better and piloted by fewer at the larger (>40) events however.
    Small remark: There was not a Single ANT in Philly T16; SCG is just too lazy/dumb to deal with subtypes of Storm.

The reason for the lack of Combo isn't the powerlevel of the deck but both, the lack of Good Players being able to Pilot Storm properly and the increasing danger of lethal misplays due to the mental Drain happening while playing 7+ rounds through hate.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

The 5th place Philly deck was as standard a TES build as can be, the SCG team just fucked up Storm Deck Identification 101 as usual.

EDIT: Snapcastered D:

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Small remark: There was not a Single ANT in Philly T16; SCG is just too lazy/dumb to deal with subtypes of Storm.

The reason for the lack of Combo isn't the powerlevel of the deck but both, the lack of Good Players being able to Pilot Storm properly and the increasing danger of lethal misplays due to the mental Drain happening while playing 7+ rounds through hate.
    The mental fatigue argument works for engine decks like Storm and Elves, but I can't see it for SnT. Though I guess Island, Ponder, Ancient Tomb, yes I have Force/Pyro, SnT, you die is too hard for some : /
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Oops my bad, I don't look at decklists anymore, I'm too lazy to read what carbon copy from last week made it through the Grand Melee rounds. Point still stands - 3 combos in the last T16.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

3 is a lot for a single deck to top, that is true. on another note just a few months ago more combo decks where placing, belcher to name one. Also, i play storm a bit myself. I am by no means the best storm player around, but a lot of the time i feel like i just draw non winnable hands, and mull into an even worse situation. it is beyond me how some storm players get consistent turn 2/3 kills through hate. show and tell decks, while easy on the surface, are also easy everywhere else.. i play one myself because it works in my meta (lots of combo that folds to fow). The rug delver player was playing right, but when you don't open fow game 1, but have a good hand, and the opponent goes land grant, and reveals a winner, its going to be a rough game. on another note, what happened to dredge? i am not seeing a ton of graveyard hate (2 cards max in side decks on average). about the chalice, how do you think a chalice aggro deck would do against combo? are their any decks specifically smothering a lot of the combo decks? is turn one thoughtseize just to strong a play?, or turn 1 island for that? i might have to consider making a chalice deck for my meta lol

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by noahgs View Post
    3 is a lot for a single deck to top, that is true. on another note just a few months ago more combo decks where placing, belcher to name one. Also, i play storm a bit myself. I am by no means the best storm player around, but a lot of the time i feel like i just draw non winnable hands, and mull into an even worse situation. it is beyond me how some storm players get consistent turn 2/3 kills through hate. show and tell decks, while easy on the surface, are also easy everywhere else.. i play one myself because it works in my meta (lots of combo that folds to fow). The rug delver player was playing right, but when you don't open fow game 1, but have a good hand, and the opponent goes land grant, and reveals a winner, its going to be a rough game. on another note, what happened to dredge? i am not seeing a ton of graveyard hate (2 cards max in side decks on average). about the chalice, how do you think a chalice aggro deck would do against combo? are their any decks specifically smothering a lot of the combo decks? is turn one thoughtseize just to strong a play?, or turn 1 island for that? i might have to consider making a chalice deck for my meta lol
    I think LED Dredge is definitely the best deck right now. People are just idiots and lose to their own choices with it, don't realize it, and give up on the deck. Chalice is great, but chalice "stompy" decks suck ass because of major consistency issues. If you want to pack Chalice, play Lands.dec, Aggroloam, or UB Tezz. These decks have a slight shot against combo g1, and they load up their sideboard with combo hate.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

My local meta is pretty combo lite. There's one guy who owns Elves, Painter's servant, and Burn, but I've seen him play burn more than the other two decks. I sometimes play reanimator, but usually go for some BUG variant or something with Chalice or Trinisphere. So most weeks, there's no combo, and at max there's 2 combo players, neither on S&T or Storm. The other 10-some odd players don't play any form of combo (someone's building stoneblade with RiP/Helm, but I'm not counting that).

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    I think LED Dredge is definitely the best deck right now. People are just idiots and lose to their own choices with it, don't realize it, and give up on the deck.
    I feel the same way, although it is surprising to me even the veteran players of the archetype aren't getting there.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the global average Legacy metagame based just on the data from your store.

I saw a green apple once, but I didn't then conclude that all apples are green.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

I am not basing it on my store, I am however basing it on the Euro vs Na meta's.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by noahgs View Post
    I am not basing it on my store, I am however basing it on the Euro vs Na meta's.
    NA Meta:

5 in top 16 of SCG Philly: 2 Storm, 2 Reanimator, 1 Mono U OmniTell.

3 in top 16 of SCG Columbus: 2 Mono U OmniTell, Elves

6 in top 16 of SCG St Louis: 2 Storm, 2 Sneak and Show, 1 Elves, 1 Reanimator

3 in top 8 of the BoM Legacy main event: 1 Elves, 1 Mono U OmniTell, 1 Storm

6 in top 8 of LCL 2013-Mayo: 3 Storm (AnT and TES), 2 Sneak and Show, 1 Reanimator

These are from relatively larger events since March using my god awful knowledge of how to find top 8 decklists. I think combo is pretty well represented right now.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Thread Information