Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SCD]Encroaching Wastes (M14)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Land-based Disruption (Tectonic Edge vs. Ghost Quarter)

Recently spoiled at mtgsalvation, link is here:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...3&d=1372996891

If you haven't seen it yet, it enters untapped, taps for one colorless mana, and can be activated for 4 mana to destroy target non-basic land.

So the question is: better or worse than Tectonic Edge? Is this Wasteland variant playable in Modern? My gut says Tectonic Edge is better as a general tool for keeping players off higher land counts, but I can also see this new Encroaching Wastes as a way to punish greedy mana-bases in the late game with a Crucible/Loam engine.

Looking for some discussion specifically here in the Modern forums. I don't see it even showing up to the Legacy party and Standard is irrelivant (although I suspect it will see play there.)

Discuss.

EDITS: The direction of the thread has changed to a general discussion about land-based disruption such as Tectonic Edge and Ghost Quarter.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 08-17-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Re: [SCD]Encroaching Wastes (M14)

I think it's a required 1-of in a Crucible/Loam strategy in order to eat a greedy manabase to the ground. The mana investment outside of that is simply too crushing. I'd want to Expedition Map for this or find it with a Primeval Titan long before I want to draw it natively. In such a resource denial strategy lean heavily on Tectonic Edge to bring the land count down and this card to seal out the game after you cripple them.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

What about in Tron?

I sometimes play Modern with mono-blue Tron. I run a single Tectonic Edge in case of mirror or other nuisance lands.

I don't think it will work in other "combo" Tron builds because those decks are both color intensive and rely too much on Tron lands. Mono-Blue doesn't. Does it make sense there?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    What about in Tron?

I sometimes play Modern with mono-blue Tron. I run a single Tectonic Edge in case of mirror or other nuisance lands.

I don't think it will work in other "combo" Tron builds because those decks are both color intensive and rely too much on Tron lands. Mono-Blue doesn't. Does it make sense there?
    I confess myself unfamiliar with modern and the tron version in particular. However I suspect that you could make the switch if your tectonic edge loops normally yield enough spare mana. I'd probably play 1 of each and heavier towards the edge so you could better manage mana turn to turn.

I would have loved it if they printed the effect at 3 or just reprinted dust bowl though. I think that forcing basic's matter and pushing the format more towards fetch/shock mana base with basics is healthier than some of the decks that just pack the quick lands. Getting some nice policemen effects in the format is the best way to force that change, but I don't think this particular card is strong enough. If there were a really solid Blood Moon/Magus Moon deck that became the DTB I can see that happening.

Isn't Ghost Quarter equivalent to Strip Mine against a lot of Modern decks similar to how Path to Exile is equivalent to Swords to Plowshares if not better?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    I confess myself unfamiliar with modern and the tron version in particular. However I suspect that you could make the switch if your tectonic edge loops normally yield enough spare mana. I'd probably play 1 of each and heavier towards the edge so you could better manage mana turn to turn.

I would have loved it if they printed the effect at 3 or just reprinted dust bowl though. I think that forcing basic's matter and pushing the format more towards fetch/shock mana base with basics is healthier than some of the decks that just pack the quick lands. Getting some nice policemen effects in the format is the best way to force that change, but I don't think this particular card is strong enough. If there were a really solid Blood Moon/Magus Moon deck that became the DTB I can see that happening.

Isn't Ghost Quarter equivalent to Strip Mine against a lot of Modern decks similar to how Path to Exile is equivalent to Swords to Plowshares if not better?
    Ghost Quarter is seeing a lot less play recently than Tectonic Edge, because they STILL get a basic land. Most decks play at least a handful of basic lands, if only for Path to Exile. Tectonic Edge allows you to keep folks off of 5-mana bombs, and if they aren't doing anything relevant with 4 lands it can keep opponent's to 3 for a turn. It's a tempo speedbump that hits in the right timezone for modern (turns 4-6) whereas in Legacy Wasteland hits in the timezone of turns 1-3 (typically.) I think the difference is the mana investment. Tectonic Edge only requires 1 to activate, Encroaching wastes takes a whopping 4. Nobody is using Mystifying Maze as a Maze of Ith variant (close similarity) so I don't expect Encroaching Wastes to be relevant...unless some fantastic man-lands are printed soon.

My hope is that enemy-colored dual man-lands (a la Creeping Tar Pit) are printed soon. This new variant seems to be a 1-2 of, and definately not a 4-of in any deck for any format it is relevant in (which is modern and standard.) The other possibility is that a 'karoo' type of land will show up soon that allows for faster mana development.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Ghost Quarter is still the best land against Tron, as it disrupts the Tron and only costs a landdrop. It doesn't matter that much that they get a basic.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    Ghost Quarter is still the best land against Tron, as it disrupts the Tron and only costs a landdrop. It doesn't matter that much that they get a basic.
    I would argue that even Ghost Quarter isn't enough to stop Tron. It's a speedbump, and one that easily mitigated by Tron decks. They have inevitability; you need something more than a Ghost Quarter to even mildly slow them down. While I agree that GQ is better against Tron, Tec Edge is better against fair decks, especially greedy 3+ color variants. Tec Edge still hits most man-lands in time as well, so GQ really isn't the right option to be playing right now.

Just my opinion, mind you.
    Brainstorm Realist

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Well, that's why I was talking about tron in particular. Otherwise I agree with you.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Sure thing; but realize I'm taking it one step further: I think Tectonic Edge should be played over Ghost Quarter in all decks ATM. It still does work against Tron and has relevance against other decks.
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Seems like it's a niche card, it's certainly not better than Tec Edge in normal decks. In general, hoping to hit your 5th land drop before your opponent hits their 4th is greedy. Even then, you're not really taking advantage of the turn that they got land screwed by playing some awesome 5 drop, you're blowing up a land with all your mana.

In decks with Gifts Ungiven, Life from the Loam, or Crucible of Worlds, I could see it being a potentially powerful lock piece.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    What about in Tron?

I play UW Tron and I don't think I would ever want this over Tec Edge or Ghost Quarter (I currently run a Ghost Quarter in the main). It's too slow vs. RG Tron - by the time you have 4 mana + this they already have Karn in play. The only other place you're really using this is vs. the 4 color pod variants or the occasional utility land and in both situations Ghost Quarter is often a Strip Mine with more words on it.

It's also worth noting that Ghost Quarter is a much better potential "out" to Sowing Salt.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I am wondering about this card in a scenario I have pondered a lot about Modern.

Are there a lot of decks that pack very few basics like in Legacy? If so, has anyone ever seriously tried a strategy of using Path to Exile primarily as a mana accelerator that can also double as removal against certain decks?

A green/white deck with Aether Vial, Deathrite Shaman, and Dryad Arbor can get to five mana fast, especially with Scryb Ranger and Green Sun's Zenith to assure it happens every game.

Turn 1 land, Vial->Arbor.
    Turn 2 you have 3 mana plus a Vial at 1. There are about a zillion ways to be at 5 mana by turn three without giving up much of anything if you start with the cards I discussed. And you still have a Vial at 2.

The key to making Path function as a bonafide accelerator is, of course, to either intercept removal aimed at your creatures or to have creatures that you want to take out. I have not quite gotten that far yet as I don't play Modern at all.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

GSZ is banned, which kills that idea more than you'd think. Yeah, you could play a lot of accelerants and get to high amounts of mana, but you'd need to have the exact ratio to not just lose with a bunch of mana dorks on the field. Remember Birthing Pod, Splinter Twin, and Scapeshift are all combos that are a huge portion of the metagame, so you need to be able to race/beat combo.

Without GSZ you lose your tutor for a big creature that you'd want. That means you have to fill a deck with more fatties if you want to hit them. It just doesn't work well.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Well OK. In that case it sure does look like a non-starter. I appreciate the information.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

One thing that this card definately does for me: it reminds me that Tectonic Edge is in the format, and it's a good card. So many fair decks are using man-lands that it warrents 1-2 slots without a whole lot of argument. Beyond that, Tectonic Edge can be used with Crucible/Loam to keep people at 4 lands or less for the entire game if they are playing a lot of non-basics (and that's pretty much all of the decks in the format, at least the serious ones.)
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Sure thing; but realize I'm taking it one step further: I think Tectonic Edge should be played over Ghost Quarter in all decks ATM.
    Ghost Quarter is significantly better in G/R Tron than Tectonic Edge.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Because it can fix your own colors or because it costs only a land drop instead of an extra mana?
    Brainstorm Realist

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Because in the mirror it's about who gets to Emrakul first pretty much. Disrupting Tron in the mirror is pretty significant. Especially for UW against GR.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Makes sense, I wasn't thinking of it in the mirror.
    Brainstorm Realist

The types of decks that run land destruction wouldn't want to pay 4 for the destruction I would imagine. I personally would never run this instead of Tectonic Edge, at least not in any of my current decks.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information