Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36768283848586
Results 1,701 to 1,711 of 1711

Thread: [Deck] Angel Stompy

Re: [Deck] Angel Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by midnightAce View Post
    Instead of Web, how about Winter Orb? Thalia and Orb seems savage, with sol lands and Chrome Mox the Orb's symmetrical effect is minimum towards yourself. Orb with Muse is also very taxing, and can completely shut down aggro decks.
    I like how you think. You can jam 9 WOrbs in a deck - Recruiter of the Guard -> Hokori, Dust Drinker. Maybe Armageddon sits out this one, idk.

EDIT: I should've mentioned, Winter Orb by itself doesn't do much vs heavy tempo decks, a la RUG, Delver, or combo, Storm, Sneak and Show, Elves etc. So it might be a tricky balance there, finding what affects tempo and mid-range / control.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

I went 3-1 in our LGS, the 1 is from building the deck wrong, and not having enough white in there to cast my stuff. Here's the list with one more plains and one less toolbox guy:

4 Flagstones of Trokair
    5 Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Darksteel Citadel

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    5 Armageddon

4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Windborn Muse
    3 Restoration Angel
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Leonin Relic Warder

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Toolbox SB, I can't give away all my tech. But definitely 4x Suppression Field.

The deck lost to itself vs Food Chain, but beat Manaless Dredge (Trini + Windborn Muse are awesome), squeaked through my friend's cool Dreadnaught and Taxes, and I can't remember my Rd 2 opponent. But yeah, this build is powerful, consistent, and has a super nuts toolbox, which made my SB almost all 1-ofs. It was a little awkward SB'ing against Manaless Dredge, since the 5 Geddons are worthless, and 4 Chalice is just about dead, too - I just sided in anything White to imprint to Chrome Mox, which included some O-Rings (which I'll probably cut, too). Try it out! I still want to fit another Geddon and Resto Angel, but I don't think it's really possible in this list. Oh well!
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."

So has anyone thought of a list with 4 Thalia's Lancers in it?

With the new Legend Planeswalker rule they can fetch a ton of good stuff. Karakas, Umezawa's Jitte, and the usual stuff but now they can also get singleton Ugin, the Spirit Dragon and Elspeth, Sun's Champion.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

This awesome list top 8’d a big event in Japan.

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas
    10 Plains
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Suppression Field
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Blade Splicer
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Council’s Judgment
    2 Mirran Crusader
    3 Restoration Angel
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Angel of Sanctions
    4 Chalice of the Void

3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Blessed Alliance
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Disenchant
    3 Rest In Peace
    2 Holy Light
    1 Timely Reinforcements
    2 Thorn of Amethyst

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

This crazy thing 5-0’d a League:

3 Baneslayer Angel
    4 Palace Jailer
    1 Pristine Angel
    1 Restoration Angel
    1 Cataclysm
    2 Coucil’s Judgment
    1 Wrath of God
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Mind Stone
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Ghostly Prison
    1 Moat
    2 Oblivion Ring
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Ghost Quarter
    3 Karakas
    2 Mishra’s Factory
    6 Plains
    4 Wasteland

1 Cataclysm
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Armageddon
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Disenchant
    1 Helm of Obedience
    3 Rest In Peace
    1 Teferi’s Protection
    3 Thorn of Amethyst

Couple new angels coming in Dominaria.....might make angel stomp an actual thing

So exciting (and weird) to see Angel Stompy actually putting up some decent results in smaller events over the last half year or so. I've been slowly putting the deck together over the last few years, despite the periodical price explosions (oh the days when City of Traitors was just $45). Think I'll try to speed things up.

Some of the questions I'm wrestling with are:

Also, with the recent unbannings, anyone have some educated guesses about how the deck might be positioned now?

Quote Originally Posted by arlenite View Post
    So exciting (and weird) to see Angel Stompy actually putting up some decent results in smaller events over the last half year or so. I've been slowly putting the deck together over the last few years, despite the periodical price explosions (oh the days when City of Traitors was just $45). Think I'll try to speed things up.

Some of the questions I'm wrestling with are:

Also, with the recent unbannings, anyone have some educated guesses about how the deck might be positioned now?
    Good questions! I finally put together a list that I think I like, though I haven't tested it too much. I think that as with any legacy deck, you want to curve out as much as you can, though with stompy your curve usually starts at CMC3. White I think is the only color that gives you a legacy staple at 2 mana - Stoneforge Mystic - and has a plethora of 3-4 drop haymakers. You also have access to Suppression Field at CMC2. So I think White can be better constructed than most other colors - mono-R I've found plays a ton of 3-drops at a minimum, and mono-U has more 4-drops than you want.

I'll give you a little insight on how I build my Angel Stompy. I like running the Armageddon version, and try to make CMC4 the top of the curve. I jam it full of SFM, Blade Splicer, and other spicy 3 drops so that by the time I hit Armageddon, I should have 1-2 lock pieces and/or threats on the board. I think in my build I want to stay away from CMC4 threats, but Resto Angel is too good (other considerations are Palace Jailer, Thought-Knot, and I've even had success with Windborne Muse / Magus of the Tabernacle). I also don't run CMC5 because that's an extra land I lose to Geddon, and there are so many great options at CMC4.

I haven't seen any real consensus on how to build Angel Stompy on here, but I'm of the opinion that if a card is good, and you don't run cantrips or tutors, you run the full set. Or as many as your curve can hold. If you don't want a full set, then you probably shouldn't run it. 1-2 is not going to make your deck consistent, which is how you win tournaments.

I accidentally posted this in the Armageddon Stax thread. But it makes more sense here. White is about to get an awesome planeswalker.

Serra the Benevolent
    WW2, 4 Loyalty Planeswalker
    +2: Creature you control with flying get +1/+1 until end of turn.
    -3: Creature a 4/4 Angel Creature token w/ Flying and Vigilance
    -6: You get an emblem with "If you control a creature, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead."

Ideally, to maximize indestructible Worship, you would be pairing this with Aven Mindcensor, Stoneforge Mystic, Both Thalias and other utility creature lock pieces, similar to Death and Taxes.

But against nonaggro matchups where the Worship effect isnt needed, just popping out 4/4 flyers every other turn is amazing value.
    Last edited by Captain Hammer; 03-04-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    I accidentally posted this in the Armageddon Stax thread. But it makes more sense here. White is about to get an awesome planeswalker.

Serra the Benevolent
    WW2, 4 Loyalty Planeswalker
    +2: Creature you control with flying get +1/+1 until end of turn.
    -3: Creature a 4/4 Angel Creature token w/ Flying and Vigilance
    -6: You get an emblem with "If you control a creature, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead."

[...]

Ideally, to maximize indestructible Worship, you would be pairing this with Aven Mindcensor, Stoneforge Mystic, Both Thalias and other utility creature lock pieces, similar to Death and Taxes.

But against nonaggro matchups where the Worship effect isnt needed, just popping out 4/4 flyers every other turn is amazing value.

What you're describing looks more like Thalia Stompy.
    I do agree that Serra looks promising in a stompy/prison-deck. Moat-Stompy is probably a greatest shell for her. Also I would bet that she would be played with Karn a lot of the time.

However, Why would Stoneforge be that important to play with her?

Thread Information