Page 11 of 86 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Angel Stompy

In my experience, Landstill and Combo tend to be the bad matchups. I am lucky in that I don't run into too much combo here in the Charlotte, NC area but both can be problems. The combo I have played against and struggled with at some point is Belcher and Solidarity. Belcher is one of those deals where you either have the answer or you don't. Null Rod and Disenchant work extremely well as would be imagined. As for Solidarity, unless I am missing something this is the decks worste matchup. True Beleiver and Orim's Chant do nothing. You can protect true beleiver with MoR all you want but evacuation just kills you out of the sideboard. Orim's Chant simply delays the inevitable by one turn.

As for Landstill, I have played it a few times and have gone about 50/50 against the deck. I qualify this by saying I have played very few matches against the deck to even suggest that the matchup is 50/50 as I suspect it is far worse.

As for good matchups ... the deck has many. Anything Red based tends to be fairly easy. I also have a pretty easy time against teh R/G based Survival decks. ATS is a bit more problematic but nothing a good player shouldn't be able to handle. I have also had good experiences against Rock variants of numerous fashion. Control, excepting for Landstill, is also something I have come to see as a good matchup. Scepter-Chant can be a bit problematic if you run into it often, God knows I have over the past couple months, but non-scepter control tends to simply be a game of play a threat early and beat down ... a la Jamie Wakefield.

So the bad matchups are,and the cards possible to side in against these decks are:
    -Solidarity->Gaea's blessing;true believer
    -Belcher->Null rods,any artifact removal
    -Landstill->Decree of justice;armageddon

Maybe run some graveyard hate-cards,and I think that should do the trick as a decent sideboard,no?

@Scrummdogg:I tested the SotP,and they really help against decks like rgsa and ats,I especially liked no more recurring spore frogs and baloths,and the bushido also helps a lot in early combat :).

I think I'm going to check this Sideboard out:

1 disenchant
    3 Aura of Silence
    4 True believer
    4 decree of justice
    3 tormod's crypt

Quote Originally Posted by Elvenwish
    ATS is a bit more problematic but nothing a good player shouldn't be able to handle.
    Well, you ever played against a good ATS player ? I guess not.

Survival of the Fittest
    1G Enchantment
    Pay G, Discard a creaturecard from your hand: You win the game.

Against a good player, the SotF text is that. Angel Stompy cant win consitently against a good ATS player.
    I played against a Angel Stompy player who played this.

1 Turn: Mother of Runes
    2 Turn: Morph
    3 Turn: Disenchant on SotF, Tithe
    4 Turn: Disenchant on SotF, Solitary Priest
    5 Turn: Exalted tapped, attacking

I won the game with 6 life, which is still quiet much life. He stands no chance, because i had a single SotF activation pre first Disenchant.

Another senario is.

1 Turn: Tithe
    2 Turn: Samurai of the Pale Curtain
    3 Turn: Disenchant on Survival
    4 Turn: double Solitary Priest
    5 Turn: nothing only attacking
    6 Turn: he angry scooped his cards together

I am not the best ATS player, but luckily i made the best moves possible (like an experienced player would play) and even after double Disenchant or SotPC + Disenchant the SotF player can easyly procede to win.
    That is why i would recommend to pack heavy Surival hate cards into your sideboard, especialy graveyard hate cards + removel is quiet a good combination to fight ATS.

Greetz Timme :D

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

I like Aura of Silence in the sideboard even though it is slower than Seal of Cleansing (but AoS has a much more powerful effect on the game when it hits). If you need more speed, go with Seal (or even Abolish), if you can spare the turn, run the Aura and watch what it does to players with artifacts and enchantments. Tormod's Crypts definitely belong in the board as they are the best compromise of tempo, cc, color consideration, and overall effect we are likely to get. In a side note, cards for a sideboard MUST be have multi-purpose roles, be flexible enough to deal with multiple decks unless (and ONLY unless) A) you can reliably expect mass repetitions of one or two decks & can focus your efforts to hose or B) there is a common matchup you CANNOT win without certain narrow sideboard options. <rant off> However, if there is a common deck you cannot beat Game 1 & it requires massive sideboard help...perhaps the deck needs to be further optimized.

Sideboard options:
    Null Rod vs Abeyance - if you face serious activated artifact abuse in your area, Rod is probably better. Abeyance obviously has better overall use & cantrips, but is a one shot.

On a sub-note: Orim's Chant (or the budget conscious Gilded Light) are fine options as well. Both have applicability against combo & are fine against aggro that targets as well (Sligh, SD Zoo, G/R Beats). Useful as an option depending upon what you expect to see. True Believer falls into this category as well, with the added benefit of being protectable by Mom or SoFI & being able swing. It can be mass bounced, but that takes time & mana (and the correct cards) options your opponent should either not have or be under serious pressure to find before you rip his face off...we ARE aggro-control, remember.

Tormods Crypt - everything else is either sub-par or out of color. Given the prevalence of SotF & Landstill, it should be an automatic 3 of. Has the added benefit of cleaning up everything Samurai missed.

Armageddon - this strategy has been valid for years & the added utility of facing land based decks & decks which lust for mana makes it invaluable. In conjunction with Crypt & Samurai, the effect becomes even more brutal. Should be at least a 3 of.

Disenchant/Seal of Cleansing/Aura of Silence/Abolish - heck, even Soltari Visionary in a meta full of SotF (a move that was very successful when SotF was everywhere as the tempo swing is brutal, even IF the can continually recur the SotF). These items helps against SotF, Landstill (the 2 major concerns in terms of what you should expect to see) and much combo (the other concern in terms of problematic matchup). Should be a 3-4 of at the moment.

Gaea's Blessing - if you expect Stormbased blue, side 1. Otherwise don't bother.

Decree of Justice is a good overall card and good against board sweeping control. Definitely worth trying...although we come to number-crunching again....

@Timme:
    Welcome to The Source and to the thread. Congrats on the two victories and on your opponent NEVER seeing an STP, Wave, SoFI or any other tempo Game 2. I am not advocating ATS as an easy match, but I look forward to good players running both decks against each other (including after sideboarding...) as the games should be even, interactive, and fun.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Ok,I think this is decent as a Sideboard:
    3 tormod's crypt
    3 Armageddon
    3 Decree of Justice
    3 True Believer
    3 Aura of Silence

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Elvenwish
    Happy: I agree totally with your comments concerning Aether Vial. My point exactly. I do have one question though, why Shining Shoal? I understand that it is free damage redirection no matter the source dealing the damage. But how much damage do you really expect to be redirecting? Late game, yes, you can redirect quite a bit but early, when playing the spell for free you will redirect no more than two damage unless you dicard Exalted, something I am not sure I would be comfortable doing. What is your reasoning behind this? What do you not like about Parallax Wave? Is it your meta or am I missing something?

Shinning Shoal was just a suggestion. Because I am at college in AZ most of my magic playing takes place on MTGO, where I sometimes run into a ww deck running Shinning shoal. Shinning Shoal screwes with an opponent's math so much that at times it can simply win games. one of the reasons I was suggesting Shoal over Wave was that it decreases the number of targets for various removal spells. But like I said, I have no legacy testing to make an assertion either way. Just an idea.

Edit:
    Aura of Silence is way too slow to help in the Survival matchup, I would Probably want to run Erase in its place because of the speed, and the "RFG". Abolish is also really good, but having 7-8 none plains mana sources can pose a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Disciple of scrumdogg
    Sep 2004
    Massena NY...way up north

Aura is a good answer in the survival match. Especially in the Macguyver match(I know this deck isn't that widely played yet but I have a feeling it will be big) but I digress. Aura equals more disenchant effects which equal more dead survivals which equals awesome. Plus if the Aura is dropped say second turn off of a mox and the survival player has falied to get that nasty little enchantment down he'll have to wait a couple more turns while you hopefully bash face.

As for Erase taking it's place in the board crypt already takes care of removing the SotF from the game as well as other meddlesome things (gensis, frogs, insert random witness target here).
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    You have two kidneys....suck it up, Ebay HongKong has the listing for you, 'Prime American Organ' right between 'Classroom of Small Asian Children' and 'Mail Order Bride'. Then you can afford to buy needed rares at Altered States

This is what happens when you don't prepare for or respect a weak opponent like a stingray...or bad Reanimator...it sneaks up & kills you.

Team Intuition - Living on the Canadian border....savage tech

I happen to have a soft spot for this sideboard:

4 Abeyance
    3 Armageddon
    2 Decree of Justice
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 True Believer

The Belcher and Solidarity matchups for this deck can, unfortunately, get ugly, which is why I have 7 cards boarded for it. The maindeck Disenchants have been enough for me to blast Survival, and Tormod's Crypt helps, too.
    Banned...?!

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Rule of Law>True Believer. True Believer just makes them find a Cunning Wish while going off, which isn't hard. Rule of Law means they have to find it before going off, which can be quite difficult.

Roop

EDIT:Angel Stompy sucks.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Roopey
    Rule of Law>True Believer. True Believer just makes them find a Cunning Wish while going off, which isn't hard. Rule of Law means they have to find it before going off, which can be quite difficult.

Roop

EDIT:Angel Stompy sucks.
    Which is why True Believer should be maindeck (it swings and has application against more decks in the field) and Rule of Law (and Abeyance) should be sideboard. And yes, the decks sooooooo badly that it won Bob's Dual Land Draft with a suboptimal version.....terrible, visibly awful.... Quite frankly, had we been paying attention and made sure the sideboard was correct, the Angel Stompy deck from up north that went 4-3 would have been 6-1. It played (and lost to) 2 Solidarity decks without Rule of Law or Abeyance in the sideboard. That would have been 2 Angel Stompy decks in the Top 8. Wretched deck, unable to compete in a diverse field.....yeah right
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Winning a tournament says nothing about anything. I've seen MoSH win a tournament! Does that make the deck good? When was the last time AStompy put any numbers at all? When the deck consisntantly does well like it used to I will take back my comment.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Let's not go down this road again. It's really just opinion right now. If Angel Stompy keeps winning on the East coast as well as the West, it will prove that it's a very strong deck. If it doesn't, then it might have been a bit of a fluke. Either way, time will tell.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Apr 2005
    LaLa Land

[color=#000000:post_uid2]has anyone tested umezawa's jitte? it offers alot of options plus its alot faster to cast... just a suggestion.. dont know what card to replace though.. i tried replacing one sword of fire and ice for it.. but i dont really get to test it that much.. i just like the options it provides..:p

ohh just to back the jitte i suggested... if the creature equiped with the jitte manages to stay in the game for sum time....or the jitte itself gets to stay in play... it really really does give a head ache to your opponent.. u can even use the counters b4 it gets destroyed.. thats if it manages to store counters..but ofcorz creature based decks hate this more than control or combo decks... but i wouldnt know.. i only got to test it against aggro decks.. :)

[color=red:post_uid2][i:post_uid2]Welcome to the board but please be aware of the following things: Do not double post and please review the
    rules about posting in the Legacy Metagame Forum. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Peter_Rotten[/i:post_uid2][/color:post_uid2][/color:post_uid2]

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Welcome to The Source. Just a couple of quick points, you should probably be careful about double posting (Peter Rotten gets angry), poor grammar & capitalization (Peter Rotten is now frothing at the mouth) and check spelling even if English isn't your first language (full blown conniptions by the English teacher-mod by now....). This especially applies in the LMF since they want high level discussion on these decks. On to your idea, which is a cool one. I really hadn't seriously considered the Jitte, even after I had to re-evaluate how good it can be based on getting my faced smashed repeatedly in Type 2. There are two different comparisons that have to be made since the card can only realistically replace 3 cards: Mask of Memory (which it probably shouldn't do since it cannot draw cards, the necessary element that MoM provides), Sword of Fire & Ice (see below), and Parallax Wave (see below).

Advantages of Jitte vs SoFI: does not have to deal combat damage to a player to become active, provides -X/-X to critters instead of 2 set damage (and the amount can be more than 2), can gain life, can pump the equipped critter higher than +2/+2 although the bonus is not permanent.

Advantages of SoFI vs Jitte: provides a permanent bonus of +2/+2, grants protection from blue and red (although counters on Jitte provide de facto pro-red by negating burn) - both of those abilities requiring no further investment beyond equipping said critter, draws a card when it deals damage, the 2 points of damage it generates on damaging a player in combat can also hit that player.

Hmmmm....this merits testing because both cards have good effects, and the Jitte comes out 1 mana cheaper. Depending upon what you expect to face, that might also make a difference.

Advantages of Jitte vs Parallax Wave: a more permanent source of removal (via -X/-X & counters), a more permanent permanent (does not fade out), same cost to cast & equip but that can be spread out over multiple turns, gains life or pumps critter, makes your position more threatening (can be an aggro element against any deck, incluing creatureless builds like Solidarity).

Advantages of Parallax Wave vs Jitte: saving your guys from removal - whether individual or mass removal - almost guaranteed, providing a save after combat (damage on the stack tricks), ability to morph an Angel painlessly (although, to be fair, if you can cast wave, you can morph the Angel anyway...), does not die to dedicated artifact removal, can clear out opposing critters for an alpha strike.

Hmmmm....again some interesting contrasts, also worht testing. I am more excited about trying a build with MoM, SoFI, AND Jitte but without the P. Waves. I am hoping that several people will be testing these possibilities and that we all report back.

Disciple of scrumdogg
    Sep 2004
    Massena NY...way up north

My one problem with adding jitte is the fact that it is legendary. This limits you to only playing one at a time while the sword can be slapped down and then another one can follow it for more fun. In my playing two swords on a shadowy guy is awesome. This discussion almost makes me want to ponder e.tutor again but still don't knwo if it's possible.
    You have two kidneys....suck it up, Ebay HongKong has the listing for you, 'Prime American Organ' right between 'Classroom of Small Asian Children' and 'Mail Order Bride'. Then you can afford to buy needed rares at Altered States

This is what happens when you don't prepare for or respect a weak opponent like a stingray...or bad Reanimator...it sneaks up & kills you.

Team Intuition - Living on the Canadian border....savage tech

I have been testing it recently and I am running it in the mask of memory slot. Although I really like the mask's card draw powers, it does not have the versatility of the jitte. So far I am starting to prfer the jitte. The creature removal possibility has proven more useful for me in the format.

My problem about adding it into the P.Wave slot is that with 3 types of ecquiptment it not only gets harder to fight through artifact hate in addition to not being able to find food for your chrome moxes.

I really am torn on if the jitte warrants inclusion or not, while it can come down turn 2 attatched on a lion, the mask lets you find your SB cards much quicker in games 2+3, ,plus the jitte might be overkill on the amount of creature removal the deck would then pack.
    Team Meandeck

I wouldn't say the Jitte merits inclusion. Tradewind shuts it down, and Survival and Landstill have easy answers to it.

Now, you could make the same argument against Mask, but if you're playing Survival or Landstill, are you really going to blow up that Mask? Or would you rather blow up an SoFnI or Mox?
    Banned...?!

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA
    //NAME: Legacy Angel Stompy
    // Mana
    11 Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Tithe
    // Beats
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
    4 Savannah Lions
    4 Silver Knight
    4 Soltari Priest
    4 Exalted Angel
    // Control & Draw
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Disenchant
    3 Mask of Memory
    3 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Parallax Wave
    Leaving the heavily discussed sideboard out for a moment, I want to shift the focus on the maindeck. I'm assuming that the decklist posted on the first page of this thread is still accurate, so I'm working from there.

The main weakness of Angel Stompy seem to be the high mulligan rates and the occasional self implosion due to mana screw. Although the deck has 22 mana sources, I would be much happier if I could somehow bump this up to 24. This might seem like too much, but spare lands can be discarded to Mask of Memory, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Now the big question is, what two cards can be cutted for two additional mana sources?

My build has been running very smoothly on 23 mana sources,here's what I cut :
    1 Savannah lions for an extra chrome mox.
    1 ancient tomb for 1 plains extra,because I found it hard to get 2 white mana for a knight.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Zirilian
    My build has been running very smoothly on 23 mana sources,here's what I cut :
    1 Savannah lions for an extra chrome mox.
    1 ancient tomb for 1 plains extra,because I found it hard to get 2 white mana for a knight.
    Even though you are increasing the mana count by one, you are changing the white mana sources by two. Good call btw, I agree with -1 lions especially considering that it is a "suboptimal 1 drops."

Edit: Some quick testing on MWS reveals a decrease in the # of mulligans by 7% in a trial of fifty hands. Small fix, good results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Thread Information