Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] DeathBlade

Re: [DTB] DeathBlade

I would be very interested in brewing a list with GoST over Bob. He is fantastic.

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Quote Originally Posted by kingsey View Post
    I would be very interested in brewing a list with GoST over Bob. He is fantastic.
    That is the version that I am playing/testing at the moment. I think is is a little more proactive and a bit more aggressive as opposed to the more controlling Confidant role. I think both are competitive but it probably comes down to personal play style and composition of the meta. I would be really interested to hear what your testing results turn out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    That is the version that I am playing/testing at the moment. I think is is a little more proactive and a bit more aggressive as opposed to the more controlling Confidant role. I think both are competitive but it probably comes down to personal play style and composition of the meta. I would be really interested to hear what your testing results turn out to be.
    My play style is normally the aggressor. Mind posting or pm me your list as a ground floor to work with ? I'm playing team America at the moment, but I still love smashing in sfm to get equipments.

I've worked with a bant shell until now to give GoST exalted triggers as a means to boost him.

I know there are quite a few variants for deathblade but which version would you guys recommend if my meta has a lot of rug delver, mud and maverick. In short, mana denial decks especially rug delver with their stifles.

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

@mike

I think you have anyway a good match up with shaman and a lot lands+ swords and verdict.
    When you play correct then you can ignore the stifle(like fetch go).
    Geist is good against tempo decks to.

Hey I'm playing this deck on Magic Online and it's like Shardless BUG or Jund with Counters. I enjoy it a lot. Anyone tried to play deep 4color and replace SFM with Tarmogoyf? Yes SFM provides equipment and versatility, but without you would have more cardslots that are good against Combo/ Control.
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

I can play legacy whenever I want. Cardboard has no value. Data has no value. My time and enjoyment has high value to me. More legacy = more fun. Buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    When Obilivion Ring is said to be an equivalent counterpiece to Red Elemental Blast in regards to Show and Tell and Jace, you know all is lost.

May 2011
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Adryan View Post
    Hey I'm playing this deck on Magic Online and it's like Shardless BUG or Jund with Counters. I enjoy it a lot. Anyone tried to play deep 4color and replace SFM with Tarmogoyf? Yes SFM provides equipment and versatility, but without you would have more cardslots that are good against Combo/ Control.
    Then we would just be playing BUG... The reason white is in this deck is for SFM.
    I don't like MTG, i just like legacy control decks.
    Esper stoneblade

May 2010
    Germany

Short report on todays tourney

35 Players, 6 rounds
    I took first place with 18 points

Matchups:
    1-0-1 vs. Deathblade
    2-1 vs. Elves!
    2-0 vs. Dredge
    2-0 vs. RUG
    2-0 vs. TES
    2-1 vs. Burn

3 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Wasteland
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Flooded Strand

4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Baleful Strix
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Vendillion Clique

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawas Jitte

4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Dimir Charm

1 Ponder
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Vindicate
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Meddling Mage
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Vendillion Clique
    2 Extirpate
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Zealous Prosecution
    2 Oblivion Ring

Aftermath:
    2 Jace felt enough
    Did not miss FOW
    Dimir Charm is awesome
    The deck runs very smooth due to the Basics and Strix – I tried many different configurations to get an edge against RUG –it worked very good ;-)

Anyone testing a 'tempo' build. With say giest over bob. With stifle and daze ? I'm unsure where sfm fits into this but a turn 2 giest, with daze backup sounds nice, or even t2 giest and t3 jtms.

.....or I crazy for thinking its possible?

May 2011
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by kingsey View Post
    Anyone testing a 'tempo' build. With say giest over bob. With stifle and daze ? I'm unsure where sfm fits into this but a turn 2 giest, with daze backup sounds nice, or even t2 giest and t3 jtms.

.....or I crazy for thinking its possible?
    Seems counterproductive. You put yourself back 1 turn and your curve is too high for these cards. You also can't expect to cat geist and SFM fast and keep mana open for stifle. Besides, all your cards are slow. It would be inferior to UWR delver.
    Esper stoneblade

Quote Originally Posted by AEnesidem View Post
    Seems counterproductive. You put yourself back 1 turn and your curve is too high for these cards. You also can't expect to cat geist and SFM fast and keep mana open for stifle. Besides, all your cards are slow. It would be inferior to UWR delver.
    I made a pile and tested against a buddy over some beers. Played vs jund, UWR stoneblade, and RUg delver.

Games were split, when my pile worked it was awesome, when it lost it was terrible. I admit defeat I think im going to try and work GoST back into my original shell of exalted triggers in Bant.

But I do have to say my FBB underground seas looked amazing next the the FBB tundras

Apr 2012
    Manila, Philippines

What is the current optimum list? There are so many variations of this deck floating around lol

May 2011
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by blindspotxxx View Post
    What is the current optimum list? There are so many variations of this deck floating around lol
    As with every deck, it depends on your meta.
    Esper stoneblade

Right now I think that the optimum list hasn't been found yet, but I think that it depends on your meta also.
    This weekend I played the following list at a 92 players tournament finishing 4-3 due to many missplays and some bad matchups:

R1. Death And Taxes (Loss)
    R2. 4cc Punishing Loam (Loss)
    R3. Miracles (Win)
    R4. Jund (Win)
    R5. All Spells (Win)
    R6. Goblins (Loss)
    R7. Lands (Win)

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Snapcaster Mage

4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to plowshares
    3 Force of will
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Counterspell
    2 Lingering Souls
    1 Vindicate

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Karakas
    1 Creeping tar pit
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Tundra
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    1 Scrubland
    2 Wasteland
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Marsh Flats

2 Supreme veredict
    2 Surgical extraction
    2 Geist of Saint traft
    1 Sword of feast and famine
    1 Duress
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Disenchant
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Force of will
    1 Flusterstom
    1 Disfigure

Main changes I want to do are:
    -1 Tundra +1 Underground
    +1 Land, up to 23 (but don't know what to cut)

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Very interested in what happened in bob's games vs. Elves and TES. Bad pilots, mulligans to oblivion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Very interested in what happened in bob's games vs. Elves and TES. Bad pilots, mulligans to oblivion?
    I can tell you what happened in the TES MU because I was the TES Player. Whether or not I'm a bad pilot, others have to judge. I'm certainly no Bryant Cook type of TES player. Still, I managed to take 2nd in said tournament going 5-1. Usually, I play DDFT, though. So, my TES experience is very limited.

Anyways, in G1 I held a good hand but lost the roll and didn't do anything the whole game because bob resolved 3x IoK during the first 4 turns (1x via Snapcaster Mage). It was a close game, nevertheless. One timely IoK less and I would've been able to resolve Ad Nauseam on a pretty high life total.

G2 was pretty close, too. All I could do was make 14 goblins on turn 2 or 3, calculating a lot and speculating that he doesn't find an on-color land for the Meddling Mage in his hand. Well, he did :). I managed to beat him to 2 life points but he stabilized with 2x Meddling Mage (on CoV and AD) and SFM + Batterskull. Still, I found an Infernal Tutor via Brainstorm and just needed one more draw to go for Ad Nauseam. I blocked his Batterskull with 4 tokens and hoped, he'd just bounce it and vial it in again via SFM. Unfortunately, he did everything right and Clique'd my Infernal at the end of my next draw phase.

I hope this helps and was detailed enough.

Jul 2010

Fair enough if that's what happened. Was just surprised because his list looks very soft to Storm G1 (good vs. storm postboard tho, IMHO. Looks a lot like what I have with Elves and I'm very comfortable playing that), and because he has so few sweepers vs. Elves.
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

May 2010
    Germany

Against Elves the following happened:

Round 1
    I scouted his deck beforehand, so I knew what I was up against.
    So I kept a strong hand (on the play) of DRS, SFM, D.Charm, Brainstorm and some lands.
    T1: Fetch, DRS, T2: SFM to get Jitte, land, go, T3: land, kill a symbiote, go... eot-> cheat Jitte into play to get the party started...

Round 2
    I mulled once and kept Bob, Verdict, X and some lands. Unfortunately I found nothing to interact with him in my next draws. He went off on his T4, I could not stop him from doing his thing. At that point I had a S.Verdict and a land in my hand and my board was Bob and three lands...) This situation refreshed my doubts about the Supreme Verdict – I will switch to a cheaper sweeper for the next time!

Round 3
    I mull again and keep: Swamp, Iok, Wasteland, Bob, Zealous P. and something -> I would need to find a white mana to have a chance
    My Iok takes GSZ (he had a Summoners Pact, a Dryad Arbor, Forest, Quirion Ranger cannot remember the rest. He played the Ranger and passed. I drew no land so I played Wasteland and Bob to increase my chances of hitting a land next turn. He played a Glimpse, some elves, drew some cards, played his Pact (!!!), drew some more cards aaaand fizzeld...Bob showed me the needed white mana source and the Prosecution cleared his board (in response he bounced some dudes which was irrelevant because he died because on his own Pact the next turn)

You asked if the elvesplayer was a bad pilot. I really cannot make a judgement about that. It seemed more or less like he knew what he was doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Fair enough if that's what happened. Was just surprised because his list looks very soft to Storm G1 (good vs. storm postboard tho, IMHO. Looks a lot like what I have with Elves and I'm very comfortable playing that), and because he has so few sweepers vs. Elves.
    Yeah, I agree. The pre-board list doesn't look very frightening now that I see it. Still, that's MTG. Sometimes your opponent gets what he needs. That is definitely not to say that he just lucked out. bob played very well. He always picked the correct cards with his discard spells and obviously made the right decisions.

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by bob2008 View Post
    Against Elves the following happened:

Round 1
    I scouted his deck beforehand, so I knew what I was up against.
    So I kept a strong hand (on the play) of DRS, SFM, D.Charm, Brainstorm and some lands.
    T1: Fetch, DRS, T2: SFM to get Jitte, land, go, T3: land, kill a symbiote, go... eot-> cheat Jitte into play to get the party started...

Round 2
    I mulled once and kept Bob, Verdict, X and some lands. Unfortunately I found nothing to interact with him in my next draws. He went off on his T4, I could not stop him from doing his thing. At that point I had a S.Verdict and a land in my hand and my board was Bob and three lands...) This situation refreshed my doubts about the Supreme Verdict – I will switch to a cheaper sweeper for the next time!

Round 3
    I mull again and keep: Swamp, Iok, Wasteland, Bob, Zealous P. and something -> I would need to find a white mana to have a chance
    My Iok takes GSZ (he had a Summoners Pact, a Dryad Arbor, Forest, Quirion Ranger cannot remember the rest. He played the Ranger and passed. I drew no land so I played Wasteland and Bob to increase my chances of hitting a land next turn. He played a Glimpse, some elves, drew some cards, played his Pact (!!!), drew some more cards aaaand fizzeld...Bob showed me the needed white mana source and the Prosecution cleared his board (in response he bounced some dudes which was irrelevant because he died because on his own Pact the next turn)

You asked if the elvesplayer was a bad pilot. I really cannot make a judgement about that. It seemed more or less like he knew what he was doing...
    Playing Summoner's Pact at all is definitely suspect if you ask me, especially vs. Esper postboard (and actually casting it when you're about to fizzle, oh dear. Would spare it for the Pact=>Shaman@Jitte or similar).
    I probably would've also mulliganed that G3 hand if I was the Elves player. The G2/3 is often very grindy, and Pact is just really, really poor in those kinds of games.
    vs. Esper Elves can do everything better IMHO, but you have to pick a plan and stick to it. You can go over with quick combo, or you can outgrind. Indecision and middle-of-the-road attitude will just mean you're playing pseudo-Esper vs. actual Esper, which is a pretty certain loss.

Your G2 keep was a bit suspect IMHO, would've mulled. Too little action, too late. Undisrupted many Elves builds are relatively solid T3-T4 decks so Verdict just doesn't cut it on the draw.

If you want a faster sweeper, another Persecution or a Perish arre probably your best options. Switching out Bobs for Meddling Mages is probably a good idea when boarding. Naming NO, Visionary ought to bring decent results.
    (On Innistrad)

Thread Information