Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] DeathBlade

Re: [Deck] DeathBlade

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I didn't like the snapcasters either so I'm going to cut those. I was considering Bob but I was afraid of getting blown out by my own forces/batterskull. Is that a big thing that happens? I suppose with batterskull it'll probably get fetched by sfm first but 5 damage from a force seems huge.

Going down a swords seems right, going to try that.

As for clique and Karakas, I think I'm actually going to cut both from my 75 due to budget reasons (struggling as it is). Dazes seemed weird in this deck too. I'll test with spell pierce/snare but since I'm cutting snapcaster I might not end up with those. Going to test a bit with Lili and JTMS, I'm not a fan of planeswalkers personally (their playstyle atleast, their powerlevels are great).

Never even considered Hierarch or Lingering souls, def will be trying out some combination of them. Souls in particular seems great great value for an equipment based deck.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Lingering souls is very good. especially in a fair meta and miracles. I am playing 2 copies right now and no spell pierces. Against delver spell pierce is okay but lingering souls is better.
    If you don't play any snapcaster you could play gurmag angler/tasigur which are both a no go with bob.
    For card draw or more card quality we have all the blue tools like Brainstorm, ponder and jace, sometimes senseis divining top, and sylvan library. Brainstorm is an auto include. I like sylvan library and with batterskull taking extra cards doesn't hurt. I never had the feeling that I need bob. We are fetching, thoughtseize and playing force of will. Many times I am at 15 life turn 2 with bob it would be probably 11 or 10. We are playing quite expensive spells, many 3 drops. Also I want other things turn 2 like stoneforge, strix or some of my 3 drops with deathrite like nemesis, clique, liliana.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

what do you think about spell queller and the new tamyio from eldrich moon ?
    Both of them seem very strong itself but do they fit in our deck ?

Tamiyo seems sweet if it resolves with a creature on the board, feel like it might a little win more but I could be wrong.

Spell queller gets me going back and forth. I have no idea how to evaluate it tbh, i'll be testing it in place of a few things (going to start off with shaving off a copy of lingering souls and strix for 2 spell quellers). It seems like it can swing a game. But it can also mess you up pretty hard.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Last sunday was an event with 21 people and I went to the 4th place and got 2 monastery mentor for it.
    Here is my list:

lands:
    4 polluted delta
    3 flooded strand
    1 marsh flats
    1 misty rainforest
    2 tundra
    2 underground sea
    1 scrubland
    1bayou
    1 tropical island
    1 karakas
    1 swamp
    1 island
    2 wasteland

creatures
    4 deathrite shaman
    3 stoneforge mystic
    3 true name nemesis
    2 baleful strix
    1 snapcaster mage
    1 gurmag angler
    1 vendilion clique

instant+sorcery
    4 Brainstorm
    3 thoughtseize
    3 swords to plowshares
    2 lingering souls
    1 abrupt decay
    1 councils judgment
    1 spell pierce
    3 force of will

other
    2 liliana of the veil
    1 jace, the mind sculptor
    1 sylvan library
    1 batterskull
    1 umezawas jitte
    1 engineered explosives

Sideboard
    1 zealous persecution
    1 pithing needle
    1 abrupt decay
    1 swords to plowshares
    1 containment priest
    1 baleful strix
    1 toxic deluge
    1 force of will
    1 invasive surgery
    1 jace, the mind sculptor
    1 ethersworn canonist
    2 rest in peace
    1 misdirection
    1 Life from the Loam

my match ups were the following

1. Round: Bant Aggro 2-0
    I started with a thoughtseize and saw a hand pretty close to mine and thought it is the mirror match, but he opened with a noble hierarch and I was pretty sure he plays bant.
    I was never in danger while the match because he played a very bad list. His only threat was nemesis. His creature base was like: 4 stoneforge, 3 Nemesis, 2 Noble hierarch, 1 vendilion clique and 2 deathrite shaman.

2. Round: rub Tezzerator 1-2
    1st game I can dominate him and kill him with deathrite and souls. the other 2 games he can lock me pretty fast with blood moon, ensnaring bridge and chalice of the void.

3. round: Aggro loam 2-1
    played against a friend. first game I lost against a very big knight. the 2nd game I killed him with turn 2 and 3 nemesis and a jitte. 3rd gane I have to fight a titania and liliana with deatrhite Shaman, gurmag angler and a nemesis.

4. Round: white staxx 2-0
    1st game was a land search. we both stuck on 1 land after wasting each other. I found a bayou and a gurmag angler after 5 or 6 turns and killed him. 2nd game he lost against jace and double decay on his crucible of worlds.

5. Round Death and taxes 1-1
    we managed a draw so he become 1st place and i keep my 4th place. we played it out and I list terrible both games.
    Last edited by Neo900; 07-29-2016 at 03:28 AM.

Got 7th in the SCG Baltimore Classic.

So this is my first non-challenge legacy event after being on the deck for 2 months. The mana base was kind of awkward missing two wastelands and having a Breeding Pool instead of a Tropical Island (ALMOST lost to this one game). Luckily, it all worked out in the end.

[Decklist: ](http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=105814)

==

**Creatures**

* 3x Baleful Strix

* 4x Deathrite Shaman

* 4x Stoneforge Mystic

* 3x True-Name Nemesis

**Spells**

* 1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

* 1x Batterskull

* 1x Umezawa's Jitte

* 1x Council's Judgment

* 2x Abrupt Decay

* 3x Swords to Plowshares

* 3x Lingering Souls

* 4x Thoughtseize

* 4x Brainstorm

* 4x Force of Will

**Lands**

* 2x Island

* 1x Plains

* 1x Swamp

* 1x Bayou

* 1x Scrubland

* 1x Underground Sea

* 2x Tundra

* 1x Marsh Flats

* 1x Misty Rainforest

* 4x Flooded Strand

* 4x Polluted Delta

* 2x Wasteland

* 1x *Sadness* Breeding Pool

**Sideboard**

* 1x Engineered Explosives

* 1x Grafdigger's Cage

* 2x Pithing Needle

* 1x Sword of Fire and Ice

* 2x Containment Priest

* 1x Abrupt Decay

* 2x Flusterstorm

* 1x Swords to Plowshares

* 1x Nahiri, the Lithomancer

* 1x Council's Judgment

* 1x Supreme Verdict

==

Some extra thoughts about certain cards:

* Lingering Souls is amazing. If it was blue I would cut a strix for the 4th copy. It gave me so much game against so many random decks. From chumping Merit Lage tokens to being a nice clock that you can either go hard on or only go half in on to wait on removal.

* Council's Judgment was decidely meh. It was a removal spell when I needed it but a lot of the times an abrupt decay or swords would have gotten the job done and would have been much easier to cast.

* I really need to get Wasteland 3-4

* I'm tempted to cut Stoneforge Mystic to 3. There were a lot of games where it was just a 2 mana 1/2. Of course, this increased the chances that I could t2 SFM into t3 Batterskull, which, against a lot of fair decks, just wins. Not sure what I'd put in this slot either so I'm going to start testing things. Maybe new Tamiyo?

* Having basics was super useful. Lots of wastelands and such. It did make it harder to cast things but against decks without wastelands, the first dual was usually all that mattered for fixing anyways.

* As for sideboard, I think the 4th Swords wasn't necessary. I would have much rather have had a piece of graveyard hate like surgical extraction or even rest in peace (despite how much of a nonbo that is with Deathrite shaman). Nahiri, the Lithomancer was resolved once and died pretty quickly so it felt bad. Maybe it's good, I need to test it a bit more. Engineered Explosives on the other hand was amazing. It's so versatile. I think I'll end up replacing the mainboard Council's Judgment with an Engineered Explosives.

==

Copy and paste of my facebook report: (Sorry that it's so thin, I wrote terrible notes and I'm tired, there's probably some mistakes in my memory here too)

Match 1: counter top with Punishing Fire package.

My entire deck is soft to Punishing Fire and he had Innocent Bloods mainboard so true names didnt get there. Might try and put a x/3 threat into the 75. Game 1 I conceded even though I was at 10 life and had a few random cards in hand but he had the punishing fire lock and a nearly full grip and we were at the 30 minute mark already so I figured I would have a better chance just winning games 2 and 3 fast. I did not. 0-1 (0-2)

Match 2: Grixis delver, game 1 i win on the draw, just drop a sfm-> true name -> Batterskull and even though he was ahead, 7/5 lifelinker vigilance gets me there. Game 2 he drops a delver early that I dont want to deal with since I have Batterskull in hand and only 1 removal spell which i wanna use on an angler. Cant get to 5th land or another removal spell fast enough so im forced to swords and then hes just too ahead. Game 2 drop a early drs into Lingering Souls. Start swinging for 4 but end up going to turns and then asking for the concede since im 1 turn away from the win on turn 5 with follow up and healthy life total. Luckily he concedes. 1-1 (2-1)

Match 3: turbo depths. Game 1 he manages
    to get a merit lage after i have a true name and Batterskull, lucky top deck gets me Lingering Souls which buys me enough turns to finish him off. Game 2 he durdles for a bit while i do the same thing with Batterskulls and true names. He gets a merit lage and i path him. Chip him away for win. 2-1 (2-0)

Match 4: Delver

Game 1 he Gets really aggro with delvers and i remove stuff. I manage to durdle til i drop a Batterskull, stabilize and win. Game 2 is more or less the same with true name. 3-1 (2-0)

Match 5: dredge. I drop a turn 3 batter and turn 4 true name into turn 5 equip and i can race him easily. Suicide my stoneforge to remove 2-3 bridges and then equip Batterskull to true name saccing germ token to get rid of the last. Drs eat stuff and i win. Game 2 he keeps a sketchy hand and then misses with his dredge and plays cards so he cant even discard to hand size. I just play threats and clcok him 4-1 (2-0)

Match 6: eldrazi and taxes

Game 1 he plays some revokers naming random things and has a displacer but i just have too many diverse threats. Eventually manage to equip a Batterskull to a true name and destroy. Game 2 he has a strong opening with triple thought knot seer. Things look bad but i use a true name + souls token into a thought knot to kill it, drop a councils judgment into a swords and stabilize at 2 and win. Breeding Pool almost killed me here.

Match 7: lands - scrub didnt wanna handshake (he was 4-1-1 so he couldnt)

Game 1 he mulls to 5 and i do some things, but he crop rotates into the combo and i lose to merit lage. He started with double port so i put him on d&ts on a bad draw so i pitched a baleful to a force instead of a true name (already had one on field). Also tabernacle is a house. Game 2 i start with an opener of Pithing Needle, councils judgment and wasteland so i snap keep. He does stuff but it isnt enough and i win via value. Game 3 he mulls to 5 again and i get to 3 drs early and hes on the loam plan so i just grind him out

Bonus round: storm

Game 1:
    T1 he goes underground go
    I go land thougntseize see:

Rain in filth, ritual, brainstorm, ponder, Underground Sea. I tank for a little too long, judge says i need to make a choice so i panic pick ponder.
    I proceed to get turn 2'd.

Game 2: he mulls, i get early hate cards and i force his Demonic Tutor after holding priority and cracking led.

Game 3: im grinding him with a Batterskull sfm and drs. He has a near empty hand and i start swinging. Turn before lethal he has like 4ish cards and goes for it cus otherwise hes dead. I hold up a Flusterstorm for his Past in Flames. It counters it but he has enough mana to just flash it back but he is limited to a ponder, probe, and brainstorm (cards in yards) and 2 blue mana to find a win con. He does. I die. I hate storm.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Congrats for you 7th place.

What I think about wasteland: we don't get any advantage through wasting. the best thing we can do is turn 2 wasteland and use a deathrite for a 2 drop. we need the mana.
    councils judgment is a great card and a must have. the problem cards like jace can destroy us and the best way to handle him is to counter or to exile. if you are missing removal play snapcaster mage. he makes your deck more redundant and has also the surprise effect. also you need more card quality and advantage. snapcaster also let you use Brainstorm again. beside jace I play 2 liliana (see my list above). she is great with jace and lingering souls, discard souls, flashback. also I play instead a 2nd jace a sylvan library. such a great card.
    I play only 3 stoneforge with 2 equipments because batterskull is the only card who truly needs the cheating. many times you draw a stoneforge and it is a dead 1/2.

hope you have fun with this deck and nice to see you here (I got the feeling I am the only one who is looking and writing here time by time).

Yeah it's a shame that this thread isn't more active since this deck is so sweet.

I'm probably going to put in a sylvan library somewhere in the 75, getting to an empty grip against a control deck feels terrible.

Also if you were on the play with a black source and atleast another land in hand, would you rather play Thoughtseize or Deathrite shaman turn 1 with no information on what your opponent is on? You don't have a (pre-emptive) 3 mana play (so maybe a council's judgment but no true name nemesis

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSol View Post

So this is my first non-challenge legacy event after being on the deck for 2 months. The mana base was kind of awkward missing two wastelands and having a Breeding Pool instead of a Tropical Island (ALMOST lost to this one game). Luckily, it all worked out in the end.

[Decklist: ](http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=105814)

==

**Creatures**

* 3x Baleful Strix

* 4x Deathrite Shaman

* 4x Stoneforge Mystic

* 3x True-Name Nemesis

**Spells**

* 1x Batterskull

* 1x Umezawa's Jitte

* 1x Council's Judgment

* 2x Abrupt Decay

* 3x Swords to Plowshares

* 3x Lingering Souls

* 4x Thoughtseize

* 4x Brainstorm

* 4x Force of Will

**Lands**

* 2x Island

* 1x Plains

* 1x Swamp

* 1x Bayou

* 1x Scrubland

* 1x Underground Sea

* 2x Tundra

* 1x Marsh Flats

* 1x Misty Rainforest

* 4x Flooded Strand

* 4x Polluted Delta

* 2x Wasteland

* 1x *Sadness* Breeding Pool

**Sideboard**

* 1x Engineered Explosives

* 1x Grafdigger's Cage

* 2x Pithing Needle

* 1x Sword of Fire and Ice

* 2x Containment Priest

* 1x Abrupt Decay

* 2x Flusterstorm

* 1x Swords to Plowshares

* 1x Nahiri, the Lithomancer

* 1x Council's Judgment

* 1x Supreme Verdict

==

Some extra thoughts about certain cards:

* Lingering Souls is amazing. If it was blue I would cut a strix for the 4th copy. It gave me so much game against so many random decks. From chumping Merit Lage tokens to being a nice clock that you can either go hard on or only go half in on to wait on removal.

* Council's Judgment was decidely meh. It was a removal spell when I needed it but a lot of the times an abrupt decay or swords would have gotten the job done and would have been much easier to cast.

* I really need to get Wasteland 3-4

* I'm tempted to cut Stoneforge Mystic to 3. There were a lot of games where it was just a 2 mana 1/2. Of course, this increased the chances that I could t2 SFM into t3 Batterskull, which, against a lot of fair decks, just wins. Not sure what I'd put in this slot either so I'm going to start testing things. Maybe new Tamiyo?

* Having basics was super useful. Lots of wastelands and such. It did make it harder to cast things but against decks without wastelands, the first dual was usually all that mattered for fixing anyways.

* As for sideboard, I think the 4th Swords wasn't necessary. I would have much rather have had a piece of graveyard hate like surgical extraction or even rest in peace (despite how much of a nonbo that is with Deathrite shaman). Nahiri, the Lithomancer was resolved once and died pretty quickly so it felt bad. Maybe it's good, I need to test it a bit more. Engineered Explosives on the other hand was amazing. It's so versatile. I think I'll end up replacing the mainboard Council's Judgment with an Engineered Explosives.

==

Copy and paste of my facebook report: (Sorry that it's so thin, I wrote terrible notes and I'm tired, there's probably some mistakes in my memory here too)

Match 1: counter top with Punishing Fire package.

My entire deck is soft to Punishing Fire and he had Innocent Bloods mainboard so true names didnt get there. Might try and put a x/3 threat into the 75. Game 1 I conceded even though I was at 10 life and had a few random cards in hand but he had the punishing fire lock and a nearly full grip and we were at the 30 minute mark already so I figured I would have a better chance just winning games 2 and 3 fast. I did not. 0-1 (0-2)

Match 2: Grixis delver, game 1 i win on the draw, just drop a sfm-> true name -> Batterskull and even though he was ahead, 7/5 lifelinker vigilance gets me there. Game 2 he drops a delver early that I dont want to deal with since I have Batterskull in hand and only 1 removal spell which i wanna use on an angler. Cant get to 5th land or another removal spell fast enough so im forced to swords and then hes just too ahead. Game 2 drop a early drs into Lingering Souls. Start swinging for 4 but end up going to turns and then asking for the concede since im 1 turn away from the win on turn 5 with follow up and healthy life total. Luckily he concedes. 1-1 (2-1)

Match 3: turbo depths. Game 1 he manages
    to get a merit lage after i have a true name and Batterskull, lucky top deck gets me Lingering Souls which buys me enough turns to finish him off. Game 2 he durdles for a bit while i do the same thing with Batterskulls and true names. He gets a merit lage and i path him. Chip him away for win. 2-1 (2-0)

Match 4: Delver

Game 1 he Gets really aggro with delvers and i remove stuff. I manage to durdle til i drop a Batterskull, stabilize and win. Game 2 is more or less the same with true name. 3-1 (2-0)

Match 5: dredge. I drop a turn 3 batter and turn 4 true name into turn 5 equip and i can race him easily. Suicide my stoneforge to remove 2-3 bridges and then equip Batterskull to true name saccing germ token to get rid of the last. Drs eat stuff and i win. Game 2 he keeps a sketchy hand and then misses with his dredge and plays cards so he cant even discard to hand size. I just play threats and clcok him 4-1 (2-0)

Match 6: eldrazi and taxes

Game 1 he plays some revokers naming random things and has a displacer but i just have too many diverse threats. Eventually manage to equip a Batterskull to a true name and destroy. Game 2 he has a strong opening with triple thought knot seer. Things look bad but i use a true name + souls token into a thought knot to kill it, drop a councils judgment into a swords and stabilize at 2 and win. Breeding Pool almost killed me here.

Match 7: lands - scrub didnt wanna handshake (he was 4-1-1 so he couldnt)

Game 1 he mulls to 5 and i do some things, but he crop rotates into the combo and i lose to merit lage. He started with double port so i put him on d&ts on a bad draw so i pitched a baleful to a force instead of a true name (already had one on field). Also tabernacle is a house. Game 2 i start with an opener of Pithing Needle, councils judgment and wasteland so i snap keep. He does stuff but it isnt enough and i win via value. Game 3 he mulls to 5 again and i get to 3 drs early and hes on the loam plan so i just grind him out

Bonus round: storm

Game 1:
    T1 he goes underground go
    I go land thougntseize see:

Rain in filth, ritual, brainstorm, ponder, Underground Sea. I tank for a little too long, judge says i need to make a choice so i panic pick ponder.
    I proceed to get turn 2'd.

Game 2: he mulls, i get early hate cards and i force his Demonic Tutor after holding priority and cracking led.

Game 3: im grinding him with a Batterskull sfm and drs. He has a near empty hand and i start swinging. Turn before lethal he has like 4ish cards and goes for it cus otherwise hes dead. I hold up a Flusterstorm for his Past in Flames. It counters it but he has enough mana to just flash it back but he is limited to a ponder, probe, and brainstorm (cards in yards) and 2 blue mana to find a win con. He does. I die. I hate storm.

Great job! Canali's Opposition deck makes me wonder if jamming 2-3 in here would help in some of the bad matches. Souls+small creatures can really lock up a game.

Completely skimmed over what you said about wasteland. I think it's great since it can really punish greedy manabases/keeps. I haven't actually tested with more than 2 so maybe 2 is the most value I can get out of them but I'll test a bit.

Do you have a link to the Opposition decklist? I didn't see it. Opposition seems meh but I haven't ever played with it so I could be wrong. I suppose at worse it could just be a make-your-own-port

Apr 2016
    Germnay

most of the times turn 1 thoughtseize is the better play. with a spell pierce in hand you can cast it safe. or maybe not, depends on what you see. Information is gold, discard is premium. but also the play turn 1 deathrite turn 2 thoughtseize then 2-drop is okay and maybe stronger. the other is the safe one.
    in both situations you want to check for removal or counter to protect your mystic (or deathrite)

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Completely skimmed over what you said about wasteland. I think it's great since it can really punish greedy manabases/keeps. I haven't actually tested with more than 2 so maybe 2 is the most value I can get out of them but I'll test a bit.

Do you have a link to the Opposition decklist? I didn't see it. Opposition seems meh but I haven't ever played with it so I could be wrong. I suppose at worse it could just be a make-your-own-port
    It helps beat non-interactive decks g1 better than PWs typically. It's pretty similar to your placing list except -1 Jace, -1 TS, -1 CJ for 3 Opposition.

Nicely done. Did you use some of your winnings to get a trop?

Picked up a trop, 3 true names and a thoughtseize

I'm actually borrowing most of the deck from my friends, but no one among us had a trop :(

Wow, that makes it all the more impressive that you top 8'ed a tournament that big. Well done.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    It helps beat non-interactive decks g1 better than PWs typically. It's pretty similar to your placing list except -1 Jace, -1 TS, -1 CJ for 3 Opposition.
    In my opinion Opposition is not a good card. Cutting Jace for this seems wrong.
    Jace wins easily games. Thoughtseize is also better. Cj is always a discussion but also I rather want a Judgment than Opposition.

Hey so a couple of friends are going up to Syracuse and it looks like I'll be joining them. Was hoping for some tips against Storm? Also Punishing Fire destroyed me, do you think there's merit in running Rest in Peace over Grafdigger's Cage?

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    In my opinion Opposition is not a good card. Cutting Jace for this seems wrong.
    Jace wins easily games. Thoughtseize is also better. Cj is always a discussion but also I rather want a Judgment than Opposition.
    I stopped playing Blade decks because of the awful match ups against Shardless and Lands, two match ups where Opp shines in comparison to the slots I'd be switching out. Not sure if it's good enough yet, but those two decks and Miracles are where I aim first.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I stopped playing Blade decks because of the awful match ups against Shardless and Lands, two match ups where Opp shines in comparison to the slots I'd be switching out. Not sure if it's good enough yet, but those two decks and Miracles are where I aim first.
    What was your list on your last Blade list? I haven't played against a shardless deck yet so I don't know what to expect against that but for Miracles and Lands, I find that Lingering souls is an absolute house. Miracles has a hard time dealing with Lingering souls chipping at them and against Lands, the tokens + any clock at all usually wins since getting 4 turns after they have the combo to either win or find an answer is actually fairly easy.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Picked up a trop, 3 true names and a thoughtseize

I'm actually borrowing most of the deck from my friends, but no one among us had a trop :(
    Congrats on the result. I guess its too late now, but you should prioritize getting more Underground Seas. Its the most important dual land in a Deathblade deck.

Also regarding your maindeck, 15 Blue cards isn't quite enough to support 4 Forces. Moving forward I would strongly suggest either moving one copy of Force to the side, or get up to at least 17 Blue cards main.

Hey so a couple of friends are going up to Syracuse and it looks like I'll be joining them. Was hoping for some tips against Storm? Also Punishing Fire destroyed me, do you think there's merit in running Rest in Peace over Grafdigger's Cage?
    For permanent-based grave hate, Rest in Peace VS Cage depends on the meta you expect. These days I see a lot more Lands than Elves, so I almost always go with RIP. If you're worried about Punishing Fire in particular Surgical is another option. I typically play 1 RIP and 2 Surgical.

Thread Information