Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] DeathBlade

Re: [Deck] DeathBlade

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    Why do you need 9 pieces of gy hate
    i dont , the sideboard is where i struggle most, and sideboarding which is where im really looking for the most input

i copied a friends list and changed a few cards bc i didnt want to play liliana and he had containment priests which are way too expensive on mtgo which is where i mostly play.

i was thinking of taking the rest in pieces out for meddling mages and putting some baleful strix maindeck and move an abrupt decay to the board

Quote Originally Posted by diablo4488 View Post
    I think the deck is not so easy to play. You can choose so many different ways (and this makes it also interesting).
    Certainly practice is the best advice here. What are the matchups you're scared the most?
    I think you should probably also add some Baleful Strix to your MB, this creature is just hilarious (maybe cut Clique to SB and remove 1 Decay as you already play 4 discard spells).
    really looking for a solid sideboard mines a little messed up right now only restriction is i dont want to buy lilli or containment priest

my sample sizes are pretty small bc i play on mtgo so by the time i see a deck two times theres a lot of matches in between ive played a few matches against show and tell where i feel like either they are top decking like crazy or i dont have enough disruption ill thoughtsieze away a threat or an enabler fow a show and tell or two and then lose to cunning wish or something stupid off the top

The thing with sideboards is they're supposed to be answers to whatever our weak match ups are. It's hard to tell what a particular (deathblade) list is going to struggle with most by just looking at just the mainboard (atleast for me).

RIP seems unnecsesary with 3 surgicals side + 4 deathrites main. I'm not a fan of council's judgment side, it's a good mainboard "catch-all" spell but it'll likely just sit in the sideboard games 2 and 3.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

If you struggle with you build or sideboard, look some deck lists up. tcdecks, mtgtop8 or mtgpulse are showing decks sorted by archetyp.
    compare the Top8 decks with your local meta and figure out what you could need and what not.
    And, like you did, ask the Community about your build.
    we play up to 4 colors so we have lots of cards to play main or sideboard.
    but always remember: there is no perfect build. all is metachoice, personal preference and experience.

ok so i switched the list around a little bit like it so far, meddling mage is a house against storm, even did really well vs miracles but i wasnt sure it was correct.

also am curious against miracles they assemble the lock and i have abrupt decay do you hit counterballance or top?

3 swords to plowshares
    4 stoneforge mystic
    1 council's judgement
    4 brainstorm
    2 ponder
    2 snapcaster mage
    2 true-name nemesis
    2 jace, the mind sculptor
    3 force of will
    4 thoughtsieze
    3 baleful strix
    4 deathrite shaman
    2 abrupt decay
    1 batterskull
    1 jitte
    1 academy ruins
    1 flooded strand
    4 mistys
    4 deltas
    1 savannah
    1 scrubland
    2 trop
    3 tundra
    3 usea
    2 wasteland

sideboard

2 flusterstorm
    1 vendillion clique
    1 force of will
    2 surgical extraction
    1 zealous persecution
    1 live from the loam
    1 sylvan library
    1 abrupt decay
    1 toxic deluge
    3 meddling mage
    1 engineered explosives

thoughts on this for the online metagame? (mtgo)

Jun 2016
    Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by yotrixxx View Post
    ok so i switched the list around a little bit like it so far, meddling mage is a house against storm, even did really well vs miracles but i wasnt sure it was correct.

also am curious against miracles they assemble the lock and i have abrupt decay do you hit counterballance or top?

thoughts on this for the online metagame? (mtgo)
    I would never cut the 4th Swords. It's just to powerfull, 1 mana allstar removal, crazy.
    Maybe cut 1 Stoneforge or only 2 Strix. I don't play online, so i'm not really familiar with the meta there.
    There is no sense to hit Top, they will just respond by activating it. Maybe in some marginal situation to close out the game...
    Yes Meddling Mage is really nice vs. Combo/Miracles. You can just board out so many stuff you don't need and put in all the goodies.
    In general for sideboarding i go like: graveyard, counters, sweepers, permanents, removal, grinding.
    In every slot i will put some cards, depending on my meta and my maindeck.
    Your sideboard looks good but i would put for sure 1 Containment Priest if i play white.
    It is just a house vs. many decks (Reanimator, Sneak&Show, Vial, Green Sun's Zenith, ...)!
    | Grixis Control
    | Canadian Threshold

Apr 2016
    Germnay

swords to plowshares is too strong. It's possible to play 3 main and one in the board. This depends on the meta.
    I don't now anything about mtgo but are 3 Meddling Mage necessary?
    against combo its great but also Ethersworn canonist is great also against elves. Also you are playing flusterstorm that's a lot of hate.
    Surgical extraction is a good card but sometimes you need rest in peace. It kills reanimator for ever and cuts storm from past in flames. dredge is no deck to beat but it's out there.
    just as diablo mentions, containment priest is great against show, reanimator, vial. also pithing needle shuts down some decks. against miracles, show, elves, everything with vial.

Has anyone here tried Glissa the traitor? I'm considering a 1-of main with her, maybe another 1 side and some more EEs in the 75? I don't see too many bolts except against delver, and recurring EEs and batterskull seems fun

Apr 2016
    Germnay

theres some synergy also as indestructible blocker. she can blocks all eldrazis and kill them seems great.
    I won't try her because the double green is to hard to get for me.
    also for equipments I play nahiri the lithomancer. so far she was no Problem. had no chance so far to cast her. Against delver I play Sword of fire and ice. glissa with sword seems quiet good.

Jun 2016
    Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    swords to plowshares is too strong. It's possible to play 3 main and one in the board. This depends on the meta.
    I don't now anything about mtgo but are 3 Meddling Mage necessary?
    against combo its great but also Ethersworn canonist is great also against elves. Also you are playing flusterstorm that's a lot of hate.
    Surgical extraction is a good card but sometimes you need rest in peace. It kills reanimator for ever and cuts storm from past in flames. dredge is no deck to beat but it's out there.
    just as diablo mentions, containment priest is great against show, reanimator, vial. also pithing needle shuts down some decks. against miracles, show, elves, everything with vial.
    I think our deck is really strong vs. creature deck preboard (SFM, TNN, Equipments, Swords, Strix, Snapcaster) and a little weak vs. Combo.
    And postboard we can switch to really strong hate cards for example how i board to Storm (decklist in my signature):

+3 Meddling Mage
    +2 Zealous Persecution
    +1 Engineered Explosives
    +1 Flusterstorm
    +1 Invasive Surgery
    +1 Nihil Spellbomb
    +1 Extraction
    +1 Clique

-3 Strix
    -3 SFM
    -2 Swords
    -1 Jace
    -1 Batterskull
    -1 Jitte

And there is really no disadvantage to take out all the stuff. You have a clock with +3 MM +1 Clique and lot of hate now.
    Btw, i also like the idea to put an Ethersworn Canonist instead of the third MM.
    I'm not such a big fan of RIP in this deck. There are some issues wit DRS, Snapcaster.
    I really like more the plan of Extraction and Spellbomb (you can choose to pull the trigger, give this card a try).
    | Grixis Control
    | Canadian Threshold

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I will try it.

Last sunday I played deathblade with 22 other players. My list was this:

//Maindeck
    1 Bayou
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Island
    1 Karakas
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Wasteland
    2 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Gurmag Angler
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Batterskull
    2 Bitterblossom
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

//Sideboard
    1 Baleful Strix
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Force of Will
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Nahiri, the Lithomancer
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Zealous Persecution
    ___

1st Round vs Goblins 2-1
    2nd Round vs The Rack Discard 0-2
    3rd Round vs Miracles 2-0
    4th Round vs Eldrazi 2-1
    5th Round vs ANT 0-2

there were about 5 eldrazi decks and 3 Goblins so I had to hit one of them. The matches were pretty good.
    Miracles was easy to defeat. Bitterblossom forces always to find an answer.
    surprinsingly there was ANT. My hate wasn't that big against them so I had to lose.

Do you think Bitterblossom is better than lingering souls?

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I played Souls before. It was great. Bitterblossom forced opponents to find answers so far. It's a bit slower but that was never an issue. I like the bitterblossom. It comes a turn earlier and I don't have to pay 5 mana. Sometimes I need the mana to find answers for the board state and I can't flashback or cast.
    I feel more free with a bitterblossom on the field. I can find answers and do my thing while bitterblossom brings pressure. Also I can throw them into blocks and getting new tokens anyway. Right now in my grindy meta it's great and got some support from other player who also played deathblade a time ago.

Yesterday I played an event with 17 people and went 3-1.
    Bitterblossom was every time countered and gave me free space to cast stoneforge.
    But so far I liked it very much.

can people who play bitterblossom and/or gurmag angler explain to me why wed want either of those cards what its good against and what it is typically taking the place of.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

gurmag angler is a 5/5 for 1 most of the times. when it hits the board he has impact. I cut the 2nd snapcaster mage for an angler. also the fish is a suprise for most of the opponents. it is a creature which can kill a tarmogoyf. Also I don't like snapcaster mage much, I like to play this big finisher creature. On an empty board the opponent has about 3 turns to find an answer (fetches and other spells will drain the other 5 so often).

Bitterblossom is good against slower grindy decks or control decks. it creates every turn blocker or attacker while you can control the board with others spells. you don't have to worry about. drop bitterblossom and control the rest of the board.

keep in mind was deathblade is made for: let the opponent run out of resources and kill him.
    Gurmag Angler ? Find an answer or die !
    Bitterblossom ? handle it, handle 5 tokens, or die!
    I played Lingering souls instead bitterblossom before. It was also great but I had to tap out 2 turns to use it. There was always the struggle to stoneforge or play lingering souls. Now I drop bitterblossom and have from then all mana open to control the board. play a liliana, a stoneforge, whatever.

Jan 2016
    Aarhus, denmark

Why is Dark condidant not longer at least an option in any of the deathblade decks?

I am playing 3 atm. in a little bit creature heavy build.

my list look like this, please give some feedback to it.

1 Bayou
    2 Flooded Strand
    1 Karakas
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 creeping tar pit
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Wasteland
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    4 deathrite shaman
    1 jace, vryn
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique
    3 dark confidant
    1 Batterskull
    2 Ponder
    1 lingering souls
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Force of Will
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 spell pierce

SB:
    1 Baleful Strix
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Force of Will
    2 meddling mage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 engineered explosives
    1 surgical extraction
    1 grafdiggers Cage
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 flusterstorm

Apr 2016
    Germnay

the problem most of the players with dark confidant have is the damage. you getting pretty much with force, jace and batterskull. there are some abzan build which are without blue and they are playing the playset confidant. they getting control with more discard in form of hymn and more decay.
    my favorite option is sylvan library. It filters the cards and draw if necessary. also we are playing blue. there are other options to generate card advantage. Brainstorm, ponder, jace. dark confidant is a strong creature but needs his shell.

Jan 2016
    Aarhus, denmark

the problem most of the players with dark confidant have is the damage. you getting pretty much with force, jace and batterskull. there are some abzan build which are without blue and they are playing the playset confidant. they getting control with more discard in form of hymn and more decay.
    my favorite option is sylvan library. It filters the cards and draw if necessary. also we are playing blue. there are other options to generate card advantage. Brainstorm, ponder, jace. dark confidant is a strong creature but needs his shell.

I completely agree that is come with a cost, but the upside is soo good. Further is it reason for only 1 jace, 3 fow etc.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Confidant is a option. If you want to play him, do it. Some players like it others not.
    For my personal playstyle he is no option. For constant life loss is phyrexian arena. With Deathrite also a turn2 drop. Also there is less entchantment hate.

At the moment I think about tombstalker instead of gurmag angler. The demon can fly that's my point. Sometimes I play a game and say to myself "I wish you were a flying fish"

gurmag angler is a 5/5 for 1 most of the times. when it hits the board he has impact. I cut the 2nd snapcaster mage for an angler. also the fish is a suprise for most of the opponents. it is a creature which can kill a tarmogoyf. Also I don't like snapcaster mage much, I like to play this big finisher creature. On an empty board the opponent has about 3 turns to find an answer (fetches and other spells will drain the other 5 so often).

Bitterblossom is good against slower grindy decks or control decks. it creates every turn blocker or attacker while you can control the board with others spells. you don't have to worry about. drop bitterblossom and control the rest of the board.

keep in mind was deathblade is made for: let the opponent run out of resources and kill him.
    Gurmag Angler ? Find an answer or die !
    Bitterblossom ? handle it, handle 5 tokens, or die!
    I played Lingering souls instead bitterblossom before. It was also great but I had to tap out 2 turns to use it. There was always the struggle to stoneforge or play lingering souls. Now I drop bitterblossom and have from then all mana open to control the board. play a liliana, a stoneforge, whatever.

would you suggest running both or is it a one or the other sort of thing, and in my list posted above the updated one with the strixes and academy ruins MB, what would you cut for the fish or bitterblossom or both

Thread Information