Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Everyday Eternal] Podcast 4: Community Building

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: [Everyday Eternal] Podcast 4: Community Building

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    How do you guys do the actual podcast? On Skype?
    A lot of people have asked this. I'm going to do my best to get a blog post up in the next week or so about how we do everything from initial recording to editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Podcasters: As for Cabal Therapy scenarios you could talk about in your podcast, can you guys go over how to use Cabal Therapy against specific combo matchups? Say these:

Elves
    Sneak-Show
    Storm
    Argh! We missed you!

For future reference, we start recording at 9:30 Eastern so around 9:00 is the cutoff for new stuff to be submitted.

At some time in the future, we may do a live cast, but we'll hold that off until we collectively have better casting setups - right now Koby is without his own computer and I'm on my cell phone's internet connection.

More shameless self promotion: We now have a FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/EverydayEternalPodcast . Make sure you social media the heck out of us!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

@nedleeds:

I love Land Tax+Scroll Rack. I admit, I get a boner whenever I see a Parfait list.

When you posted the Parfait list, was that geared for the current meta or the projected meta post M14?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

There is no meta. Just the randomness of your match ups. People love wasting bytes and air predicting but every store and event is different ... and even after all that you can still end up against Painter in round 1. You can tune a deck against another deck/arch-type, or be concessionary to a deck/arch-type and hope to not face it (and likely build a sideboard against it).

That posted list is fairly old ... the week after RtR released I believe. It's W/r control, leveraging the miracle mechanic. Hammers any mid-rangey creature deck but it probably worse vs. blue control and of course soft to storm -- barring sacking into a white leyline or something.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    There is no meta. Just the randomness of your match ups. People love wasting bytes and air predicting but every store and event is different ... and even after all that you can still end up against Painter in round 1. You can tune a deck against another deck/arch-type, or be concessionary to a deck/arch-type and hope to not face it (and likely build a sideboard against it).

That posted list is fairly old ... the week after RtR released I believe. It's W/r control, leveraging the miracle mechanic. Hammers any mid-rangey creature deck but it probably worse vs. blue control and of course soft to storm -- barring sacking into a white leyline or something.
    It is also weak to pernicious deed... ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    It is also weak to pernicious deed... ;)
    DEEEEEEEEEEEEEED ... well there were 3 or 4 show tell decks Wednesday ... deed is Bone Flute vs. that deck ...

Site Contributor

May 2013
    Atlanta

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEED ... well there were 3 or 4 show tell decks Wednesday ... deed is Bone Flute vs. that deck ...
    Just play Aluren, beats Show and Tell AND Deed. They Show Omniscience, you show Aluren, they try to cast something, you kill them in response! Aluren is just like Omniscience, but fairer for everyone. Except omni-derp doesn't play <3cmc dudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Haven't you heard? The default color for cards being designed is blue. They have to remember to change the color when finishing the card.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by L0cke View Post
    Just play Aluren, beats Show and Tell AND Deed. They Show Omniscience, you show Aluren, they try to cast something, you kill them in response! Aluren is just like Omniscience, but fairer for everyone. Except omni-derp doesn't play <3cmc dudes.
    Because you always have the pieces in hand, you never have to dig for it!

-Matt

Site Contributor

May 2013
    Atlanta

Were already living in fantasy land where Recruiters are cheap, and you have Aluren in hand every time they cast Show and Tell, so yeah, of course we do! On the other hand, looping Coiling Oracle and Cavern Harpy is almost like a terrible three card Grislebrand, and gets you pretty far into your deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Haven't you heard? The default color for cards being designed is blue. They have to remember to change the color when finishing the card.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Were already living in fantasy land where Recruiters are cheap, and you have Aluren in hand every time they cast Show and Tell, so yeah, of course we do! On the other hand, looping Coiling Oracle and Cavern Harpy is almost like a terrible three card Grislebrand, and gets you pretty far into your deck.
    To be fair Judge foils can be had for a hundred dollars on SCG. Thats the same price as FOW and LED and less than any blue dual. Thats not too bad if you ask me
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    To be fair Judge foils can be had for a hundred dollars on SCG. Thats the same price as FOW and LED and less than any blue dual. Thats not too bad if you ask me
    FoW and LED are staples, though. Recruiter is merely a niche card.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    FoW and LED are staples, though. Recruiter is merely a niche card.
    True. Im just pointing out that they are no longer any less attainable price wise than other cards that many people have playsets of.

The audio level was much better, but the smug level was almost enough for me to unsubscribe. Some people might be into listening to smug assholes make insider jokes, but it is possible to have a good time and a good podcast without them.

I much prefer Serious Vintage because they are assholes only 5% of the time (sandwich punching) and still having a fun time.

Also, if you record the introduction after you do the podcast, then you know what you will be covering!

I didn't have a 4th Korean Aluren. It's on it's way though and then I can truly play the deck with being humiliated by a sub-optimal Aluren being put into play.

Wednesday for me was the worst kind of Show and Tell loss ... Cabal Therapy name SnT ... next turn with no library manipulation -- off the top. Twice. In a row. I think I need to play modern for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by saspook View Post
    The audio level was much better, but the smug level was almost enough for me to unsubscribe. Some people might be into listening to smug assholes make insider jokes, but it is possible to have a good time and a good podcast without them.

I much prefer Serious Vintage because they are assholes only 5% of the time (sandwich punching) and still having a fun time.

Also, if you record the introduction after you do the podcast, then you know what you will be covering!
    Thanks for giving us a try, sorry you hate us. Enjoy Serious Vintage!

Thanks for giving us a try, sorry you hate us. Enjoy Serious Vintage!
    I was trying to provide positive feedback through a comparative example, not to be disparaging. Here is some more feedback.

Four hosts might be pushing the high end of voices each week, especially if you ever plan to have guests. Koby alluded to on the podcast that one of the hosts was sick the week prior, I would have liked for the podcast not to have skipped a week and would think that the three other hosts would be sufficient for that week. Next time one of the four of you is unavailable, give it a try being a man down, or bring in a guest.

When you were going over the SCG results, one of the hosts said "hold on while I pull up the final standings". This is something that should have been done before the recording started.

Quote Originally Posted by saspook View Post
    I was trying to provide positive feedback through a comparative example, not to be disparaging. Here is some more feedback.

Four hosts might be pushing the high end of voices each week, especially if you ever plan to have guests. Koby alluded to on the podcast that one of the hosts was sick the week prior, I would have liked for the podcast not to have skipped a week and would think that the three other hosts would be sufficient for that week. Next time one of the four of you is unavailable, give it a try being a man down, or bring in a guest.

When you were going over the SCG results, one of the hosts said "hold on while I pull up the final standings". This is something that should have been done before the recording started.
    listening to smug assholes
    Sounds pretty disparaging to me and I'm pretty well versed in disparaging. So how about this; fuck off and don't ever listen to my podcast again - you won't be missed. Thanks!

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Sounds pretty disparaging to me and I'm pretty well versed in disparaging. So how about this; fuck off and don't ever listen to my podcast again - you won't be missed. Thanks!
    A community building pro at work
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

In the pre-podcast talk, we said we were going to gloss over them, not discuss them. I was taken by surprise by this and had to pull them up. I could have not said anything and just lied until I got them up by covering, but we're a casual, honest podcast.

Also, the smug attitude comment: we're not doing inside jokes for the sake of an exclusionary tone, we have inside jokes because we know each other. Is there a particular example of the "smugness" you're talking about? We're not trying to do this on purpose. Of course at times we're going to joke about players making big mistakes or be elitists regarding pimping (considering this episode was partly about pimping), but otherwise, we try not to.

We always do have a lineup/outline made up and talked about prior to the podcast, but listening to the previous casts it seems like no one actually announces it. Good catch. We'll do that.

Thanks!

-Matt

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

Its awesome you guys mentioned Cabal Therapy, because I had a friend just the other day ask me "How is this card was even good?" This completely blew my mind.
    Current Decks with List:
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_s...sult.asp?MDA=1
    My Dream: The Dojo Comics and Games
    http://www.gofundme.com/g754rg

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

Seriously, that's your response to someone with an opinion on your show? I thought saspook's first response was fair, and his second one offered up some reasonable constructive criticism.

Thread Information