Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Everyday Eternal] Podcast 4: Community Building

Re: [Everyday Eternal] Podcast 4: Community Building

Quote Originally Posted by oarsman View Post
    Seriously, that's your response to someone with an opinion on your show? I thought saspook's first response was fair, and his second one offered up some reasonable constructive criticism.
    It's my response to a personal (
    listening to smug assholes
    ) attack. If he thinks we're assholes he's under no obligation to listen, I'm under no obligation to care about his feedback and as we get no compensation for his listenership I could give a shit if he never listens again. It's 3-6 hours of man time on the recording and at least much to work to edit it - all of which is for absolutely no gain. So if somebody wants to call me an asshole I'll move on with my day, put him on my ignore list and that's it. No big deal for me, and none for him as there's endless shit to listen to on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    It's my response to a personal () attack.
    If you re-read it, the only person or group of people that I called assholes were the Serious Vintage guys. Destroying another persons sandwich is not funny.

It was a warning that your group is smug - and could easily turn the podcast into an inbred 'meta game' that doesn't add value to the community and doesn't have any listeners.

Specifics for Matt? I don't quite remember but, Sean playing with foreign cards because he doesn't like people and like seeing them get GRV's is not smug. Mostly it was the conversation on under played cards (Chalice of the Void and Sam reading off a list of one drops that would be countered and most of the rest of that discussion). Comments on 'things SCG players do' gets pretty boring. Comments like the Merit Large discussion "Berserk Motherfuckers" and "You (audience listener) need to do X to succeed because Y is the best thing ever." also contribute.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by saspook View Post
    If you re-read it, the only person or group of people that I called assholes were the Serious Vintage guys. Destroying another persons sandwich is not funny.

It was a warning that your group is smug - and could easily turn the podcast into an inbred 'meta game' that doesn't add value to the community and doesn't have any listeners.

Specifics for Matt? I don't quite remember but, Sean playing with foreign cards because he doesn't like people and like seeing them get GRV's is not smug. Mostly it was the conversation on under played cards (Chalice of the Void and Sam reading off a list of one drops that would be countered and most of the rest of that discussion). Comments on 'things SCG players do' gets pretty boring. Comments like the Merit Large discussion "Berserk Motherfuckers" and "You (audience listener) need to do X to succeed because Y is the best thing ever." also contribute.
    I mean, Sean's Sean. It's a particular character personality. I'm not really going to do anything about it, but we can tone it down a bit regarding random outbursts via creative editing. We can leave the more "fun" random tirades to after the show's over in the bonus track.

I'm just re-listening to this section on Chalice: I'm reiterating some arguments used against playing Chalice of the Void. I'm refuting hypotheses and how to actually play the card and what type of deck it would fit into. Not everyone has played Chalice before, since it was really widely played a few years ago and not recently.

The SCG circuit itself it one of the major circuits that at least North American Legacy players are going to be watching for footage, decks, and possibly new tech. Playing in these tournaments are a set of players that represent the subset of the total Legacy population. Yes, Sean shits all over the randoms that make mistakes in the SCG circuit, but what he's trying to do is explain mistakes in a more interesting and fun way. Yes, I'm not going to say he isn't being a bit of high and mighty long time player, but we're trying to ensure Legacy fundamentals are understood and followed. Players should know what an activated ability is regarding Suppression Field. Players should know what a trigger is, what APNAP is, etc. How you become a better player is knowing these rules, and we hope listening to some funny anecdotes hopes to reinforce correct play.

Also, we're not trying to say one route is "the best thing ever." We're saying if the listening audience wants to prey on a defined metagame, these are particular strategies one can follow that exploits a chink in the armour that is a defined Legacy metagame. I'm not going to argue that hyperbole is never used in the podcast, because I really can't argue against using literary devices in writing or speaking.

What I'm trying to say is, there's a group of personalities present here that tend to apply a bit of humour, anecdotal evidence, literary techniques, and brutal honesty to try and get across messages that obviously aren't reaching the Legacy community at large: how to properly play a game of Legacy using all the information at your disposal; analyzing decks, card choices, and your opponent; how to build a Legacy community; and to engage critical thinking when postulating about the format at large. We're merely trying to bring experience and format knowledge to the masses in our own way. We're pandering to an audience of hopefully somewhat established Legacy players looking for a bit more, but we're also hoping that newer and older players can also get something out of it.

-Matt

Entertaining podcast. Here's a topic for your next one: reprints. I'm of the opinion they should reprint every card ever made (derp, most) to make format more accessible to the masses, eff the "collectors" who drive up the prices. Unleash the fun of legacy to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by saspook View Post
    Comments like the Merit Large discussion "Berserk Motherfuckers"
    That was one creative outburst! I almost pissed my pants

All in all I really like the podcasts, quality (sound, narration) has improved, like the content, good reasoning.. ocasional rants and "outbursts" like the one above just make the podcast more entertaining. Looking forward to the next one

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ceustice View Post
    Its awesome you guys mentioned Cabal Therapy, because I had a friend just the other day ask me "How is this card was even good?" This completely blew my mind.
    Prepare to have your mind extremely blown as soon as the next one goes up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

I love the pod cast! Hell I love the smugness! I think that a lot of legacy players of the more mature variety (old) are smug, and hell I like it. I tell my friends that standard is like playing connect four, modern is like checkers, and legacy is like chess; and when you go to a chess tournament you sure as hell expect everyone to know what the hell they are doing.

[Edit] My mind was blown because I didn't quit understand how someone couldn't see the inherit power of Cabal therapy.
    Current Decks with List:
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_s...sult.asp?MDA=1
    My Dream: The Dojo Comics and Games
    http://www.gofundme.com/g754rg

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

I tell my friends that standard is like playing connect four, modern is like checkers, and legacy is like chess
    You forgot the "vintage is like go" part.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    It's my response to a personal () attack. If he thinks we're assholes he's under no obligation to listen, I'm under no obligation to care about his feedback and as we get no compensation for his listenership I could give a shit if he never listens again. It's 3-6 hours of man time on the recording and at least much to work to edit it - all of which is for absolutely no gain. So if somebody wants to call me an asshole I'll move on with my day, put him on my ignore list and that's it. No big deal for me, and none for him as there's endless shit to listen to on the internet.
    You need to relax. Have you listened to podcasts other than Magic? http://www.podcastawards.com/ Give it a listen, any of the award winning podcasts can be helpful to the quality of your show.

With that said, you are always going to have haters, haters gonna hate no matter what. It's the by-product of making public content. It is the responsibility of your production group to make a conscious effort to make improvement based on constructive criticism. Have a note/index card in front of you... etc. At the least, you'll have listeners with love-hate relationship. They might still hate you, but they still listen.

We are not radio show host or stand-up comedian, they do audio for living, we are Magic players. However, we can strive to be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    You need to relax. It is the responsibility of your production group to make a conscious effort to make improvement based on constructive criticism.
    This is really getting nowhere, and I'm done with this topic after this. I don't need to do anything. Neither do you for that matter. Our "production group" who consists of basically one dude, burning his own free time and hours away from his girlfriend, hobbies, beer, repeats of Hell on Wheels etc.. doesn't have any responsibility to you. It's free. Free. No cost. You may obtain it in exchange for some internets. Free. If you want to point out errors, that you hate me/us it's fine, suggest topics (that's actually great), but don't imply we have some responsibility to you.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

I'm glad this podcast exists, there are now two Magic podcasts I listen to regularly with Serious Vintage. I think you guys are doing a good job. I enjoyed following your posts here as well so when you decided to put this together I thought it was the best possible crew for a hardcore Legacy podcast. I have one criticism though, overall it feels like the conversation isn't flowing very naturally at times. I get the impression that Koby and sdematt are trying to be proper and political and nedleeds is trying to break through it by forcing his more casual attitude. I mean in the last episode I can hear Jacob laughing to Sean's rants in the background but he isn't letting the conversation drag into to too long. I was watching his Legacy stream before and he was more laid back there. But I think it will get better in time as you guys get more used to this stuff. Thanks again for putting this together and keep it up!

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

I've been working on building my Local Legacy community for the last 4 years, and have had little growth. I've gone as far as to accommodate which weekend we have the tournaments on, I've built 15 top decks and lone them out, have convinced the LGS owner to carry lots of great legacy staples. With all of this we still can't get the community to grow, our biggest participation has been 14 people, but only average 8 a week. So what I'm trying to say I is other then loaning out cards, good environment, does anybody out there have any ideas how to grow our scene.

[EDIT] Prize support is also pretty fantastic we do $10 entry with 120% going back out in store credit.
    Current Decks with List:

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I've been working on building my Local Legacy community for the last 4 years, and have had little growth. I've gone as far as to accommodate which weekend we have the tournaments on, I've built 15 top decks and lone them out, have convinced the LGS owner to carry lots of great legacy staples. With all of this we still can't get the community to grow, our biggest participation has been 14 people, but only average 8 a week. So what I'm trying to say I is other then loaning out cards, good environment, does anybody out there have any ideas how to grow our scene.

[EDIT] Prize support is also pretty fantastic we do $10 entry with 120% going back out in store credit.
    From what you describe it sounds like there isn't a large player pool to tap into. I'm not familiar with Texas geography; is this a populous part of the state?
    If there are nearby stores, try doing some recruiting there.

It sounds like you're making the right strides, but the community is just refusing to attend. Is there a friendly environment at the shop? Between the players?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    From what you describe it sounds like there isn't a large player pool to tap into. I'm not familiar with Texas geography; is this a populous part of the state?

It sounds like you're making the right strides, but the community is just refusing to attend. Is there a friendly environment at the shop? Between the players?
    I think the event that started the Los Angeles Legacy community growing so well is that the two Michaels stopped showing up.

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post

Overall yeah the community is very friendly other then 1 guy who is a elitist, who did run off a group of players who drove 2 hours to play here, but other then him the group of regulars are great, polite, clean, and knowledgeable everything you want in a legacy community. The city is 103,000 population with a bunch of small 10-15k surrounding towns, but this is the biggest, nicest, best selection you can find anywhere in between Oklahoma City and DFW. The community here just turns there nose up and legacy and they actually just love standard.
    Current Decks with List:

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

People enjoy standard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Overall yeah the community is very friendly other then 1 guy who is a elitist, who did run off a group of players who drove 2 hours to play here, but other then him the group of regulars are great, polite, clean, and knowledgeable everything you want in a legacy community. The city is 103,000 population with a bunch of small 10-15k surrounding towns, but this is the biggest, nicest, best selection you can find anywhere in between Oklahoma City and DFW. The community here just turns there nose up and legacy and they actually just love standard.
    Halifax and the regional muncipalities sit at around 300,000 peope. We normally get 12-14 playing legacy weekly, but with the release of Modern Masters, attendance has been down. I think it may partially have gone down because of some store issues, but there has been a huge growth in attendance at a different store's Modern night.

I don't attend the largest Atlanta stores Modern night (Thursday) because it's the night after Wednesday legacy so I'm not sure if their Modern turnout has spiked. I did go to Modern this past week at a much smaller store on Wednesday night instead of going to Legacy and they had 16 for modern.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    Halifax and the regional muncipalities sit at around 300,000 peope. We normally get 12-14 playing legacy weekly, but with the release of Modern Masters, attendance has been down. I think it may partially have gone down because of some store issues, but there has been a huge growth in attendance at a different store's Modern night.
    I'd like also to point out that with 3+ university in town, the Halifax Magic community is feed by the yearly influx of students in the city. Summer being the down season for magic, I still believe we have a fairly strong community. We ran a 42 people FNM last friday (I hated myself being the T.O. for that shit-show). I've been slowly pushing more competitive players that show up at my LCS' FNM towards legacy (thanks to Feline's Budget lists and such) and let them give a shot at the format.

Modern still have some problem firing up. I see the main issue is the cost of building a modern deck in regards to building a Legacy deck. To be honest, I'd rather add 200-300$ to my spending into something I know wont be banned. It happenned twice to us(my cardpool partners and myself) that after finishing building one of the Tier 1 deck, WotC banned one key card in the deck. It's not in my habits of throwing cash in the fire. I see the difference between legacy and modern as the stock market. Why buy into something that could go either way when you have solid value in rare metal. I'd rather buy gold than buy some action from a company that will sell chips to upgrade furbies in the future.

mini1337 does an amazing job IRT keeping the format alive in the maritimes. Unfortunately, last weekend, one big tournament barely fired up with only 20 people in attendance.

Fall is coming soon.

Students in town = More players.
    More players = bigger payout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Thread Information