Apr 2014
    Finland

Re: Grixis Tempo

I Tried to write something! I feel like im not a writer person xD

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

In the sample manabase you put up, it needs to be running Scalding Tarn instead of Bloodstained Mire since Mire can't find Tropical Island.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

I stumbled upon this deck after seeing that all my efforts on casting Touraches were nullified by that powerful delve spell known as Dig Through Time; rest until the next banlist, BUG Delver.

After chatting with some friends, we thought that the following Tempo list is (at least) worth testing:

Creatures (13)

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Young Pyromancer
    1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Spells (29)

1 Forked Bolt
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Ponder
    4 Stifle
    4 Daze
    1 Murderous Cut
    4 Force of Will

Lands (18)

1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard (15)

1 Electrickery
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Submerge

What do you Sourcers think? It'd be nice to hear your thoughts about it.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I think Dismember is better than Murderous Cut in general because it can be used on T1 and T2 against decks like DnT, Elves, and Delver decks.

Tombstalker also beats Tasigur in this type of deck because Goyf is a big threat to your gameplan and flying is extremely relevant.

I would advise against Stifle because Grixis doesn't have the means to get lots of points of damage very quickly compared to, say, RUG. The strength of this color combination for Tempo lies in its ability to reach. Spell Snare is what I would suggest because the most potent spells against Grixis tend to be popular 2 mana spells like Tarmogoyf, Stoneforge Mystic, Baleful Strix, Counterbalance (auto lose pre-board?), Chalice, etc... Also, if you want to abuse Pyromancer to the fullest, you should stay away from situational reactive spells. If anything, Thoughtseize or Cabal Therapy would fit better.

2 Underground Seas is not enough to support 4 DRS and a couple of black cards here and there. Play at least 3 copies.

I suggest:

-1 Murderous Cut, +1 Dismember
    -1 Tasigur, +1 Tombstalker
    -4 Stifle, +1 Underground Sea(19 lands), +2 Thoughtseize/Spell Snare, +1 Forked Bolt
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Thanks for your input.

Still sticking to the Stifle plan, what about something like:

-1 Force of Will, -1 Stifle
    +2 Spell Snare

Even if I was more than often in the situation with a Pierce in hand facing a Goyf and with a Snare in hand facing a Jace...

I added the 19th land as USea and don't want to cut the singleton FBolt.

Edit:
    Crap, they're 61. Have to cut probably the Stifle's playset.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Can someone write a primer for this deck please? I'm returning to the format after a 4 year hiatus and picked up a non-Wasteland version of the 1st place deck to get back into it.

I used to play New Horizons and I really like the deck so far, but I'm still a little unsure about the format as a whole and especially sideboarding. I'm playing on MTGO, I don't have the $2500 it takes to get back into this game.

Here's the list I'm testing:

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Young Pyromancer
    2 Gurmag Angler
    1 True-Name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Force of Will
    2 Dig Through Time
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Forked Bolt

Sideboard:
    2 Submerge
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Darkblast
    1 Dismember
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Vendilion Clique

This is almost a carbon copy of Noah Walker's #1 SCG Columbus list, with these changes:

Main: -4 Wasteland, +1 Volcanic Island, +1 Island, +1 Misty Rainforest, +1 Gitaxian Probe
    SB: -1 Grafdigger's Cage, +1 Submerge

I get the feel of the deck. I don't think I'm making the best decisions yet, but that comes with time. I just goofed on a Brainstorm with Delver out; I could've stacked the deck to flip him but didn't. Noob mistake, but whatever. I'll get there. My main questions are pretty much metagame things; I haven't seen all the decks yet so I'm not 100% sure what someone's playing if I see a new card I'm not used to. That also comes with time. And, I'm terrible at sideboarding with it because I don't know exactly what cards are better than others in what matchups yet.

I also seem to never have a clue what to name with Therapy. It was always one of my favorite cards, and I always want to side it in, but when I have it in hand I don't play it because I don't know what the best card in the other deck is yet (situationally or overall). And it seems so good with Pyro and I haven't been able to do that yet.

I eventually want to get Wastelands and Stifles. I've seen lists with Stifle/Waste, Waste only, and neither. What are the pros/cons of each option?

Also, in comparing Noah's 1st place list with Brett Schmuckler's 4th place list, Brett ran Monastery Swiftspear instead of Deathrite Shaman. Also had a full set of Cabal Therapy split between main and SB, as well as a full set of Pyromancers instead of just 3. No Waste either. The play style differences aren't apparent to me yet (except I had a Badlands in my deck briefly and it was bad). I'm not looking at sideboard differences yet; that would be nice but I feel like I'm asking enough in this post.

Now that I'm done writing this (and that I FINALLY found the thread for this deck), I'll go back through it and read it. I'm sure some of my questions will be answered. That said, with two top 4 finishes in a big event, I hope we can get a Primer for this written and bump it into a more serious forum.

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Can someone write a primer for this deck please? I'm returning to the format after a 4 year hiatus and picked up a non-Wasteland version of the 1st place deck to get back into it.

Main: -4 Wasteland,

I also seem to never have a clue what to name with Therapy. It was always one of my favorite cards, and I always want to side it in, but when I have it in hand I don't play it because I don't know what the best card in the other deck is yet (situationally or overall). And it seems so good with Pyro and I haven't been able to do that yet.
    Shouldn't really need too much of a primer as it's a Delver Tempo deck, cast more spells than your opponent to tempo them out, stop them from doing anything too back-breaking and win with your goodstuff threats. (3/2 fliers for 1, 5/5 fish for 1, 2/1 token machines, 3/1 untouchables, 1/2 planeswalkers etc.)

I know you said you were looking to pick them up but you should DEFINITELY pick up Wastelands, they allow for the most "broken" openings. Turn 1 DRS and Turn 2 Wasteland while still having two mana available to cast something like Young Pyromancer or Delver with Spell Pierce mana up is insane.

Therapy is a card that may be hard for you to cast if you are just returning to the format especially playing a fair deck. If you were playing combo you can sometimes get by just naming Force of Will to get your cards through but in this deck you want to be naming threats that can overpower yours or cards you can't beat. There are a lot of articles out there on Cabal Therapy naming I suggest Caleb Durward's article on Channel Fireball, it's titled "Therapy Session".

Also Gitaxian Probe is very helpful in tandem with Cabal Therapy ;)

Jul 2011
    Zagreb, Croatia

Noah won twice with his list. Pretty sure he is onto something.
    DRS is a true one mana walker, I would stick with it instead of Swiftspear.

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by FANAttIC View Post
    Noah won twice with his list. Pretty sure he is onto something.
    DRS is a true one mana walker, I would stick with it instead of Swiftspear.
    The age of Swiftspear being better than most other 1 drops is over, definitely stick with Deathrite over Swiftspear... unless you're playing that version of Grixis Delver that is still trying to be UR Delver.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Hey guys, just bought into the "trying to be UR delver" version of Grixis delver for modo. Decided to finally hop on the brainstorm band wagon after 3 years of competitive legacy. How would you guys recommend altering the sideboard, if at all, for this new DRS version which is taking over? Maybe up the mainboard removal a little? Here is my list:

Creatures: 13
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Young Pyromancer
    1 Gurmag Angler

Spells: 30
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Dig Through Time
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Forked Bolt

Lands: 17
    4 Volanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    2 Badlands

Sideboard:
    2 Price of Progress
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Submerge
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Sudden Demise
    1 Null Rod
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Smash to Smithereens

Mar 2009

Just went 3-1 in a daily event using close to the list above.

Zombardment 2-0

Omnitell 2-0 (I even forgot to attack 1 turn in game 2 but it didn't matter)

Grixis Control 1-2

Sylvan Plug 2-1

i took this list for testing:

1 tombstalker
    2 snapcaster mage
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets

Instants [20]
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Dig Through Time
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt

Sorceries [8]
    1 Forked Bolt
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder

Lands [18]
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland

and went against a good fish player with UR monastery (so a very similar deckbuild with stifle and monastery and full set of dig)

the result was 2-2 on mainboard 2-3 sidein

All matches was very close, and wasteland more than once wins the game

My opinion is that snapcaster is too slow in this deck, 3 mana open are too much and flashbacking a bolt is normally the option. Aniway in this matchup is a 2x1 situation.
    Tombstalker is enormous but BB in cc is too difficult to cast, i will try the zombiefish next
    DRS are simply not so powerful, ok you eat graveyard, fix mana, and i win a match for a 2 life point gain, but i don't know if is the right choice. Monastery Swiftspear is a very nice card to consider in rush.

At the moment the manabase is very poor, DRS sometimes fix it but at turn one sometimes i prefer ponder/brainstorm/delver

The very question is the side, against delver decks i should love something lyke pyroclasm or maybe a bigger creature like goyf. Also snare works well but are 1 x 1

Maybe in green there is something that could help?

Against other Delver decks I haven't had a lot of trouble due to having the same DRS advantage as BUG along with the quick Lightning Bolts. Pyromancer can go wide around Goyf and Goose. Goyf can be a quick death without a Peezy though, so I've got a 1 of Mind Harness that can come in against decks playing him (including RUG). TNN will be good here if you run him. Gitaxian Probe has been really helpful too, knowing whether they have the Daze or Pierce or Stifle can really bring a turn together.

I'm not sure if Surgical Extraction or Life from the Loam can be brought in here. Against Golgari Charm and Abrupt Decay, Eric Rill's old Spy Kids list played a 1 of Mizzium Skin, and I think that's quite brilliant.

Mar 2009

Tournament Report: MTGO Daily Event

6/26/2015

Played the GP Kyoto list:

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Young Pyromancer
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Tasigur, The Golden Fang

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Dig Through Time

4 Daze
    4 Force of Will

4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Forked Bolt

1 Cabal Therapy

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Island
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea

Sideboard:
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Price of Progress
    2 Submerge
    1 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle

Sideboard breakdown:
    4 Counterspells
    2 Graveyard/Combo Hate
    2 Discard
    2 Burn
    2 Anti-Green
    2 Artifact Hate
    1 Catch-all

BURG Delver: 0-2

Game 1: Opp casts early delver, and I don't have any removal. He was able to resolve DRS and dig through time and cantrip into multiple burn spells at 2 life while I bricked, and he lethal'ed me.

Game 2: I mull and have to keep a 2 bolt 3 land 1 dig through time hand. He protects his 2nd pyromancer and I fall way behind on board. He establishes another pyromancer and things really get bad while he has cantrips and gas while I have nothing.

Recomendation: Add an Electrickery to the sideboard for Young Pyromancer mirror matches. Don't board in Submerge here, they can just not play forests. Also debatable worth boarding in flusterstorm.

Burn: 2-1

Game 1: He drew too many creatures, and I probed him to generate more tokens. I got at too low life, and he bolted me out.

Game 2: I have the turn 1 swiftspear turn 3 delver bunch of countermagic nut draw.

Game 3: I am able to barely win off the back of cantripping well into the removal i needed. I had to trade an early pyromancer for an eidolon of the great revel, but I am confident it won me the game.

MUD: 2-1

Game 1: He draws 3 glimmerposts in the top 13 cards of his library. I almost get there, but sundering titan and lightning greaves put an end to my plan.

Game 2: Swiftspear backed by Counterspells get there

Game 3: He dies to his own inconsistencies after I bolt his lodestone and drop a null rod after he plays a metalworker. I forked bolt the metalworker later anyways to get a prowess trigger, he drops a worthless staff of domination, and I FOW the chalice for 1 he plays later. He scoops after that depsite playing several glimmerposts.

Omnitell: 2-0

Game 1: Fast clock from delver and pyromancer with just enough countermagic to stop his turn 3 show and tell.

Game 2: 3 Swiftspears by turn 3, force backup pithing dig through time and cantripping into dazes let me win by turn 4. He pyroclasmed turn 3, but I dazed (even if he countered back that puts them out of range, god prowess is broken sometimes).

---

I think I will play a more UR focused version moving forward with 7 maindeck removal spells because it fits my playstyle. I really do like tasigur though, and cabal therapy does help the combo matchups a lot. Goal is to make room for Electrickery in the SB.
    Last edited by ironclad8690; 06-27-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Mar 2009

Thread Information