Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal #5 - Therapy Session

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal #5 - Therapy Session

In episode five of #EverydayEternal, Matt Pavlic (sdematt), Jacob Kory (Koby), Sean O’Brien (nedleeds), and Sam Craven (theCrav) discuss one of the most loved and most hated cards in legacy, Cabal Therapy. We discuss several different scenarios involving Cabal therapy and what card you might want to name most upon resolution of your Cabal Therapy. We also discuss the upcoming release of the Magic 2014 core set and its potential impact on eternal formats. If you play buzzword bingo, get ready for a good show because this episode is strictly better than a skill intensive mirror match, and that sure does seem good.

http://www.eternalcentral.com/?p=4099

Comments? Accolades?
    Discuss below!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal #5 - Therapy Session

Listening Now. Man this is a fun one. Also I like how you guys have the notes like the reference to the theoretical Deadguy list in the show. More stuff like this would be great.

Edit: RED HEADED BOB MARLEY!!! LOL. That guy plays the weirdest decks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Lots of awkward... *pauses*... pauses. Just my first initial thoughts 2 minutes in, mind you, still listening.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Lots of awkward... *pauses*... pauses. Just my first initial thoughts 2 minutes in, mind you, still listening.
    Haha there was a lot of content edited out, since it was either goof ups, tangents, or Sean rambling about foreign cards and GRVs again. I'm mostly to blame for this one - my computer systems are in flux. We're making due while I call in from Starbucks WiFi.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    If you play buzzword bingo, get ready for a good show because this episode is strictly better than a skill intensive mirror match, and that sure does seem good.
    That's a thing?

Given the technical mishaps and various internet explosions during this one I'm amazed it actually got finished. Koby recorded on 8-track over a 9600 baud modem. Our call dropped at least 3 times. Sam once again deserves a helping of blow and hookers.

Site Contributor

May 2013
    Atlanta

Something I want to see (or rather hear) every week or every other week is perhaps a short segment on the coolest, or most fun, or just plain weird decks (or plays) you guys have seen at local tournaments each since the last podcast. A lot of interesting things show up at smaller events that may never top-8 a Starcity or GP, and I'd bet a lot of people would enjoy hearing tales about them more regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Haven't you heard? The default color for cards being designed is blue. They have to remember to change the color when finishing the card.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

I think Sean/nedleeds made a great point that might have gotten unnoticed in the conversation, given the awkward pausings, that you probably shouldn't be playing Cabal Therapy if you don't have knowledge of all the netdecks like in SCG. Format knowledge is key, as demonstrated by Koby when putting the unknown deck on Cloudpost mentioned in one of the hypotheticals regarding a Tropical Island -> Top.

The weirdest and funniest pause I've heard so far is when Koby loudly said "A big Goyf is a big problem."

Quote Originally Posted by L0cke View Post
    Something I want to see (or rather hear) every week or every other week is perhaps a short segment on the coolest, or most fun, or just plain weird decks (or plays) you guys have seen at local tournaments each since the last podcast. A lot of interesting things show up at smaller events that may never top-8 a Starcity or GP, and I'd bet a lot of people would enjoy hearing tales about them more regularly.
    You could just read a Caleb Durward article to get that info.

Speaking of the devil, another Cabal Therapy-related article podcasters should link on the website, if you guys are going to link Carsten Kotter's, is Durward's take on using Cabal Therapy, also called "Therapy Session."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Not sure why the link wasn't put up *ahem Sam* but the Carsten Kotter article was the one I inferred to during the podcast.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...hell-Game.html
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

So my thoughts on the first Deadguy Ale scenario (Misty->Island->Ponder->shuffle) - even if our opponent is on SnT-> Omni, they probably don't have all the pieces to kill us next turn, given the Ponder->shuffle. I think playing out mom and double therapying after we get more information from the opponent's turn two is how I would approach it. I'm certainly not going to guess and just lose to ANT or High Tide because I bricked the first discard spell and they can answer the second.

Esperblade Scenario 1 - Trop-> SDT is very obviously 12-post to me (though I do see it weekly), probably with limited colored sources and spells in both colors in their opening hand. They probably do have a green card (Crop Rotation or Primeval Titan) in hand, or there is no reason to get the dual. If we care, we might be able to snag that to slow the Glimmerpost bleeding (is that viable?) they also might have maindeck Tabernacle which could be problematic, but maybe FoW is more relevant so we can just jam our threats.

Just my thoughts

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

You heard it here first: Thunderbluffs.dec is gonna be the tits Post-Theros
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Awesome podcast! Keep up the good work.
    Busted out laughing at the awkward pause, then Koby belting out "A big Goyf is a big problem". Thanks for your insight, Koby

Some thoughts on the Therapy scenarios:
    Scenario 1 : I would have 100% snap-named Brainstorm, so I'm a little surprised that it didn't even get mentioned. Brainstorm is by far the most important cantrip in all of the combo decks and it's not especially likely that S&S and Omni will actually just have the turn 2 (especially after shuffling off Ponder!), which gives you a chance to see their hand then take what's relevant next turn with Mother of Runes without fear of them hiding pieces. Also, it still could be ANT or a control deck as you guys mentioned, so it's at least not 0% to hit against them like naming Show and Tell is. You actually argued this exact point in the scenario that went Delta, Probe, Ponder.

Scenario Delta, Probe, Ponder : This has got to be >80% ANT. Maybe 10% Omnishow, 10% other (including TinFins, Thresh, etc). Given that they're likely to be on ANT, by far the best card to name is Lion's Eye Diamond. If they ever draw into Past in Flames, that Infernal Tutor is suddenly live again, whereas almost none of the listed decks play IGG. They could also be playing Burning Wish which could lead to a quick loss if you name Infernal Tutor and they have the Wish in hand.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

All negatives about this episode may be blamed on me. There was a lot of Glenmorangine and Wine (sitting next to a delicious steak) inside of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

In the Maverick scenario, wouldn't you want to Therapy them turn 1 naming Mother of Runes? That card is the biggest pain in the ass for Deadguy type decks, and if she becomes active, you have basically no chance at winning. I would almost never be afraid of StP here, they HAVE to use it on your mom. They run 4 removal spells so if they use one on mom(they have to) your Bob will easily take control. I would definitely fetch swamp & Therapy turn 1 on Mom in this matchup. If you play Scubland ---> Mother, you're just begging to have them drop Thalia and Wasteland you(going back to what Sean had said about protecting your manabase. I think this should be your main concern here).

I seriously don't understand why you would Therapy a Daze. Just to get a blue card out of their hand to weaken a possible FoW? The Daze is practically a dead card, why fear it? I would just jam Stoneforge with one floating. It would have been helpful if we knew how many cards they had in hand... this is a discard spell exercise.

I don't think a priest would go for a pyromancer. Young or not, he'd probably think he was a witch. Also, when are you guys gonna have your first guest? Till next time I write something shitty in your thread, stay classy.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Also, when are you guys gonna have your first guest?
    Man it's like these questions get easier and easier to answer!
    Episode 6 will have a pair of guest judges, since Sean was in a focus group on "How to get more GRVs per game?" and Sam (our esteemed editor) is busy with moving.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Touche salesman, I too, have an uncle.

An easier question then, what made you guys define yourselves as "a group of fun loving guys?"

Anything to do with boozeand/orbud making yall http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wS5xOZ7Rq8 ?
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

I enjoyed following this episode at Legacy the next night by promptly having Cabal Therapy in my opener in my round one -- and in both games naming Show and Tell against my 12 post opponent. Then having him promptly top deck it in both games with zero library manipulation the turn after the therapy. Nothing like driving an hour for 6 minutes of uninteractive Magic.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I enjoyed following this episode at Legacy the next night by promptly having Cabal Therapy in my opener in my round one -- and in both games naming Show and Tell against my 12 post opponent. Then having him promptly top deck it in both games with zero library manipulation the turn after the therapy. Nothing like driving an hour for 6 minutes of uninteractive Magic.
    Skill Game
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Skill Game
    Drink!

I wouldn't have minded hearing why Cabal Therapy should be included in a deck versus say Duress or Thoughtseize. I thought it was interesting that in several of the scenarios you covered, having a Duress would've been better in your opening hand versus Therapy.

Thread Information