Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal #5 - Therapy Session

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal #5 - Therapy Session

Many decks run both (as a b/w deck might), obviously if you are running hot and want to gain tempo through durdly midrange flexslots in the metagame you'd run out your point discard first (IoK, Dooress, TS) then crush face with a Therapy on your second turn.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by davelin View Post
    I wouldn't have minded hearing why Cabal Therapy should be included in a deck versus say Duress or Thoughtseize. I thought it was interesting that in several of the scenarios you covered, having a Duress would've been better in your opening hand versus Therapy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Many decks run both (as a b/w deck might), obviously if you are running hot and want to gain tempo through durdly midrange flexslots in the metagame you'd run out your point discard first (IoK, Dooress, TS) then crush face with a Therapy on your second turn.
    I tend to agree with Sean; the question is not whether what to replace with Cabal Therapy but usually how to compliment it. There doesn't need much justification (that's French for Vindicate to astute listeners of this podcast) to run Cabal Therapy in decks that play fair and have ways to flashback. Being able to get two shots with one card is damn good. Format knowledge helps to make it hit your opponents cards. Lastly, being able to target yourself to remove cards from you hand (Storm, Reanimator) is a very underrated ability of the card compared to Duress. From the budget angle, Therapy is easier to find and afford than Thoughtseize while providing a very close analog.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I agree.

If you're using Cabal Therapy in a combo sense, that's cool. But if you're the deck just running discard, Therapy helps compliment your hand disruption strategy.

I'm running Lingering Souls at the moment, so running Cabal Therapy is really, really good since you don't have to sacrifice any relevant creatures to strip hands. It's been very good.

-Matt

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I tend to agree with Sean; the question is not whether what to replace with Cabal Therapy but usually how to compliment it. There doesn't need much justification (that's French for Vindicate to astute listeners of this podcast) to run Cabal Therapy in decks that play fair and have ways to flashback. Being able to get two shots with one card is damn good. Format knowledge helps to make it hit your opponents cards. Lastly, being able to target yourself to remove cards from you hand (Storm, Reanimator) is a very underrated ability of the card compared to Duress. From the budget angle, Therapy is easier to find and afford than Thoughtseize while providing a very close analog.
    ^ This. Cabal therapy also just steals games about as often as something like a Stifle/Waste package. Getting a 3for1 for one black mana, even at sorcery speed, is arguably stronger than even Ancestral Recall. Since you're guaranteed to hit 3 things you want versus drawing three random cards.

Just the other day I was playing GWb Maverick against ANT. He wins the roll, plays Ponder turn one, Probe + kills me turn two after I wasted him. Ouch. I side in my 4th Thalia, 2nd Teeg, and 4 Thoughtseize. I open a clear keeper with Savannah, Catacombs, GSZ, Seize, Thalia x2, KotR. I thoughtseize turn one and see Delta, Therapy x2, LED x2, Brainstorm, Ponder. After tanking for a bit I nab Ponder, hoping his Brainstorm whiffs on a shuffle effect. He proceeds to Therapy on Thalia turn one, I draw a blank and pass praying to live one more turn. But I don't, he Brainstorms into the actual nuts and kills me turn 2. I'm pretty sure ~90% of storm pilots are smart enough to make this play, there's really nothing else to name here when you don't know their hand but you know they pack 4 Thalia in the 75.

Back in the day (2008maybe), I messed around with a weird ass UB Tide Variant. The only MD black spells were 3 Duress, 4 Therapy and I also had 4 Peek and 4 FoW. It was actually kinda brutalizing and extremely fun. With the discard slowing them down, I would easily have 5 lands most times I would combo. Anyways, now that Gitaxian Probe exists, Therapy has finally gotten the attention it deserves. Is there even a deck that wouldn't play 4 Probe when playing 4 Therapy(other than Dredge& Zombardment, the decks that focus more on the Flashback of Cabal)? It would probably be wrong.

(Yes I like commas)

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I'm running Lingering Souls at the moment, so running Cabal Therapy is really, really good since you don't have to sacrifice any relevant creatures to strip hands. It's been very good.

-Matt
    No doubt. I assume your talking about The Rock, where you also have a plethora of small utility guys like Bob and DRS. Oftentimes in such decks, you don't mind saccing a Bob after he did his job and your lifetotal starts to dwindle. Or if you have to get rid of a card you know they're holding, sac that Deathrite after he accelerated you for a bit. I hate watching people play these decks and never flashing therapy back when they should because they are afraid to sac amazing creatures. It's like wtf hello? Wake up? Half your deck is amazing creatures, you'll get more.
    Last edited by HammafistRoob; 07-21-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

>be me

>hear "this could replace Kiln Fiend in the nivmagus deck"

>attempt to write angry comment on why Kiln Fiend is the best card ever

>End up writing green text
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Could we get some more Skype sound effects going off constantly in the next show? That was my favourite part.

Good show, though. This is the first episode I've listened to. Audio quality is a little rough, but good job avoiding dead air and fine discussion.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    Could we get some more Skype sound effects going off constantly in the next show? That was my favourite part.

Good show, though. This is the first episode I've listened to. Audio quality is a little rough, but good job avoiding dead air and fine discussion.
    It's because Koby was using his phone at a Starbuck's to call in. Not as good as a headset and mic. We're just having logistical issues at the moment.

You should listen to the rest of our episodes.

-Matt

This was a good episode. It was interesting to see just how cautious some of the commentators are compared to the others. Maximizing "hitting something in their hand", vs "naming something that matters" is situationally depended, but people tend to skew one way or the other.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

I take back what I said previously. The best part is how you need to turn one blind Therapy Show and Tell every time no matter what.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    I take back what I said previously. The best part is how you need to turn one blind Therapy Show and Tell every time no matter what.
    I mean, have you seen the deck we're playing - it's the definition of "fair".
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Finally got to listen to this one, good work, interesting to listen to and good enough quality to take with me on the subway (yay!).

One thing I found striking in the discussion against Storm (well, Delta->Island, Probe, Ponder I think it was) is that you thought a Storm player would probably have kept open Brainstorm if he'd seen the Therapy. I likely wouldn't do that unless I had an Infernal to hide on top of my library (LED obviously goes straight into play unless you're holding ADecay) because if you're calling Brainstorm with your Therapy, the actual important cards - the fast mana - is perfectly safe. Even more so as I believe a lot of players would reason exactly like you did and not call Brainstorm anyway.
    In addition, I think it's correct to always assume they're on Storm. If they're on OmniTell instead, they almost definitely can't kill you on their turn given how the deck looks so you'll be able to Therapy them for real afterwards anyway.

Also, thanks for plugging my work! Much appreciated! :)
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Thread Information