Thread: new to legacy

new to legacy

I have never played in legacy or modern however I'm looking to start. I've been reading into legacy a bit and I have created the following version of a stoneblade deck. Looking for some feedback on whether this is even a viable deck in legacy. For any suggestion keep in mind I have a low budget. Also, regarding my budget lands are a concern I only have shock lands and buddy lands in my collection and I'm not sure how necessary it is to invest in fetch lands. Here's my list, thanks for the help!

batterskull-1
    sword of fire and ice-1
    Umezawa's jitte-1

Birds of paradise-4
    grim lavamancer-1
    mother of runes-1
    phyrexian revoke-2
    qasali pridemage-1
    scavenging ooze-1
    scryb ranger-1
    stoneforge mystic-4
    thrun, the last troll-3
    ulvenwald tracker-1

aura of silence-1
    leyline of sanctity-1
    sylvan library-2

apostle's blessing-1
    enlightened tutor-1
    lightning bolt-4
    sudden shock-2
    swords to plowshares-4
    volcanic fallout-2

elspeth, knight-errant-1

green sun's zenith-1

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Re: new to legacy

Looking at the cards you have - you might want to look into the Maverick build. You can replace Maze of Ith with Kor Haven, Wastelands with Ghost Quarter, and the Savannahs with shocks. The only thing is, you really do want fetch lands but the zendikar ones with one of the two colours should be fine.

Here's the thread on it:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=327502

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    Looking at the cards you have - you might want to look into the Maverick build. You can replace Maze of Ith with Kor Haven, Wastelands with Ghost Quarter, and the Savannahs with shocks. The only thing is, you really do want fetch lands but the zendikar ones with one of the two colours should be fine.

Here's the thread on it:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=327502
    *facepalm* If you're going to link to a thread on a topic, at least pick the better of the two that don't dive into odd tangents.

Try this one out for change: (The Source's thread on the Deck-to-Beat Maverick )
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Cards that should probably be cut: Aura of Silence, Leyline of Sanctity, Sudden Shock, and at least one Thrun. Revoker's should probably go SB, too, just like Leyline/Aura.

Cards that should probably be added: more Green Sun's Zenith, Punishing Fire and Grove of the Burnwillows, and Knight of the Reliquary.

And then you're basically just running Punishing Maverick. Go look at a normal list for that and it should give you some good ideas.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    *facepalm* If you're going to link to a thread on a topic, at least pick the better of the two that don't dive into odd tangents.

Try this one out for change: (The Source's thread on the Deck-to-Beat Maverick )
    Haha oops! I wasn't paying attention and just linked the first one that appeared in my browser.

OP - use this link ^

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by vaderstungun View Post
    I have never played in legacy or modern however I'm looking to start. I've been reading into legacy a bit and I have created the following version of a stoneblade deck. Looking for some feedback on whether this is even a viable deck in legacy. For any suggestion keep in mind I have a low budget. Also, regarding my budget lands are a concern I only have shock lands and buddy lands in my collection and I'm not sure how necessary it is to invest in fetch lands. Here's my list, thanks for the help!

batterskull-1
    sword of fire and ice-1
    Umezawa's jitte-1

Birds of paradise-4
    grim lavamancer-1
    mother of runes-1
    phyrexian revoke-2
    qasali pridemage-1
    scavenging ooze-1
    scryb ranger-1
    stoneforge mystic-4
    thrun, the last troll-3
    ulvenwald tracker-1

aura of silence-1
    leyline of sanctity-1
    sylvan library-2

apostle's blessing-1
    enlightened tutor-1
    lightning bolt-4
    sudden shock-2
    swords to plowshares-4
    volcanic fallout-2

elspeth, knight-errant-1

green sun's zenith-1
    The nice thing is, you already have some solid cards for your deck. Budget is fine, and you can build a solid G/W deck. The biggest hurdle will be acquiring lands, mainly Dual Lands and Wastelands. The biggest card missing is Knight of the Reliquary, but she won't be that useful without the fetchlands, duals, wastelands, or utility lands. She's a powerhouse, and ultimately I'd suggesting building towards here.

I'm going to assume you have $100 to spend/trade with and make some suggestions:

Decklist: G/W Budget Maverick

4x Birds of Paradise
    4x Mother of Runes ($5 each, so $15 for 3 more)
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Aven Mindcensor ($10 each, so $30)
    2x Qasali Pridgemage ($1 each, so $2 for 2 more)
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Gaddock Teeg ($8)
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Thrun, the Last Troll

4x Green Sun's Zenith ($5 each, so $15 for 3 more)

4x Swords to Plowshares

2x Sylvan Library

1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1x Garruk Relentless ($12)

1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

4x Temple Garden (assuming you have these)
    4x Razorverge Thicket ($3 each so $12)
    4x Sunpetal Grove (Assuming you have these, but $6 each)
    xx Green/White fetches that you own (for fetching out Temple Garden)
    1x Dryad Arbor
    6x Forest
    4x Plains

Sunpetals and Temple Gardens aside, those changes would cost:
    $15 + $30 + $2 + $8 + $15 + $12 + $12 = $94 at Starcity NM retail pricing

Alternatively, though this becomes more difficult without fetchlands, you could splash red for Blood Moon effects, to try and shut down opponents utilizing non-basics.

If you do decide to build a deck like that, and then want to seriously invest, purchase cards in this order:
    1-8 G/x fetches (Windswept Heath being preferrable, but Misty Rainforest and Verdant Catacombs being acceptable. 4-6 is a good target number). Realistically, this is going to cost $280-$350
    1-4 Wasteland (3-4) $150-$240
    4 Knight of the Reliquary (after wasteland and fetches) ($30 total)
    Utility lands like Karakas and Maze of Ith (Karakas is $80-100 and Maze around $25-30)
    1-4 Savannah (2 is okay) ($80-100 each)
    Noble Hierarch, etc etc

Good luck!

Thread Information