Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Theros thread

Magic Librarian
    Aug 2007
    Johannes de Silentio

Re: Theros thread

I like how Heliod and Erebos are direct nods to the Greek Gods. Elspeth herself has parallels to Athena. Ares and Poseidon will be up for the red and blue Gods, I guess. Nessian Courser surely has to be up for a reprint as well, as this is probably the only set/block which has an etymological link to his name. The art is fantastic.

I want to see the gigantomachy and titanomachy reflected somehow.

While grandeur etc are more likely mechanics, I can potentially see morph happening as well. After all, there was some mention about the gods walking amongst the mortals.

For the GoT fans, does the Gorgon's throne not seem like a petrified version of the iron throne? Pretty sweet.

Edit to say I don't think duals are happening, although the art does seem congruent with that thought -- there was a statement that denied mana fixing in this block to channel people into dual colour strategies, right?
    One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

So am I the only one worried about them introducing new card (or possibly token) types? "Elite" creatures which apparently add up to one large creature? "Hero" cards that from the looks of it works as old equipment mono artifacts? Are the current restraints of the game really so devoid of innovative space that they keep having to make new shit up as they go?

EDIT: Also, "At the end of the Hydra's end step"? As in it has its own turn? They've introduced fucking neutral monsters?

EDIT EDIT: Okay so those were only for a launch event. Apparantly reading the op is tech. I guess the land art and constellation monsters are purty then. Whatever.
    Last edited by Infinitium; 07-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Occam View Post
    I like how Heliod and Erebos are direct nods to the Greek Gods. Elspeth herself has parallels to Athena. Ares and Poseidon will be up for the red and blue Gods, I guess. Nessian Courser surely has to be up for a reprint as well, as this is probably the only set/block which has an etymological link to his name. The art is fantastic.

I want to see the gigantomachy and titanomachy reflected somehow.

While grandeur etc are more likely mechanics, I can potentially see morph happening as well. After all, there was some mention about the gods walking amongst the mortals.

For the GoT fans, does the Gorgon's throne not seem like a petrified version of the iron throne? Pretty sweet.

Edit to say I don't think duals are happening, although the art does seem congruent with that thought -- there was a statement that denied mana fixing in this block to channel people into dual colour strategies, right?
    There was a statement that said that the new duals won't make it as easy to go tri-color. Legenduals+shocks, differently from checks+shockland, are pretty shit for tricolors.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    So am I the only one worried about them introducing new card (or possibly token) types? "Elite" creatures which apparently add up to one large creature? "Hero" cards that from the looks of it works as old equipment mono artifacts? Are the current restraints of the game really so devoid of innovative space that they keep having to make new shit up as they go?

EDIT: Also, "At the end of the Hydra's end step"? As in it has its own turn? They've introduced fucking neutral monsters?
    Dude it's only for the pre-release? Dude? Plz tell us you're ok.

Also i got a leak in world preview

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Didgeridoo still wont be as good as Show and tell imo so im not sure who's wasting 5$ on these things....ofc id like a set just in case they print a minataur that happens to be better than emrakul or griselbrand but id find that really hard to believe.
    You don't understand shit if you are comparing it to Show and Tell, it costs 1. Compare it to Aether Vial. That's like saying why play Merfolk when you can Show and Tell Emrakul.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post

EDIT EDIT: Okay so those were only for a launch event. Apparantly reading the op is tech. I guess the land art and constellation monsters are purty then. Whatever.
    Yeah the Launch event sounds rad to be honest. If it works like I think it does, it's something like Horde Magic. Conceptually I like the idea of a deck that runs on autopilot and goldfishes while X number of human players try to win. It's probably executed a lot cleaner than actual Zombie Horde Magic b/c there are a billion different things that just wreck a Zombie Horde deck - Moat, Elesh Norn, etc etc etc - and with regular Magic cards there are a ton of cards the Horde deck can't play because they involve making decisions. So a deck tailored to a particular Block of cards that eliminates the awkwardness of decision-making is a pretty interesting idea. IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Also i got a leak in world preview
    This looks shopped.

In all seriousness, I doubt we'll just get legendary ABUR duals, if only because that would break Modern manabases. It would be awesome, though.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    This looks shopped.

In all seriousness, I doubt we'll just get legendary ABUR duals, if only because that would break Modern manabases. It would be awesome, though.
    Then they can just ban more commons. Who cares heh. This is why people play Eternal formats right? To have insane manabases that permit fantastic plays that are way fucking better than Block Constructed?

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm guessing the "Future Sight mechanic redux" is Grandeur? Given the propensity of Legendaries, even with the new uniqueness rule in effect it still blows to draw nothing but Legendary Things, so having shit to do with them would be nice.
    Eh. Grandeur showed up on a lot of things in Future Sight and the only reference specifically to Future Sight was about something they'd only done on one card. Not ruling it out, cause it would be cool, but it won't come out of the Future Sight reference.

Forecast! It's got the Greek/godly oracular flavour, and was an awesome idea but not particularly well done.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

EDIT: also they're a mix of Enemy and allies colors.

Being a mix doesn't mean anything.

I sincerely doubt we'll see legendary duals. Maybe legendary lands that fix multiple colors and have some other ability, but not legendary duals.

Grandeur might be interesting in this set, but it's hard to say. We were told there were more legendaries than usual, but still fewer than Kamigawa (and thank god for that). That said, Grandeur is basically a blank ability for Limited, and I'm not sure they'd want an entire mechanic to be more-or-less totally dead in one of the more popular formats. On the other hand, Cipher was not too hot in Limited, so it's a possibility.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post

Being a mix doesn't mean anything.

I sincerely doubt we'll see legendary duals. Maybe legendary lands that fix multiple colors and have some other ability, but not legendary duals.

Grandeur might be interesting in this set, but it's hard to say. We were told there were more legendaries than usual, but still fewer than Kamigawa (and thank god for that). That said, Grandeur is basically a blank ability for Limited, and I'm not sure they'd want an entire mechanic to be more-or-less totally dead in one of the more popular formats. On the other hand, Cipher was not too hot in Limited, so it's a possibility.
    Why would you respond to an observation as if it was a point directed to you?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

MaRo and others have said over and over that they hate how Legendary lands play and they only make them for rare exceptions that won't force you to risk manascrewing yourself, i.e. that you don't want to play in too many copies (Eye of Ugin, Maze's End).

Legendary duals will not be printed in the near future.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Why would you respond to an observation as if it was a point directed to you?
    ...I'm not? I'm simply pointing out that there's precedent for doing all ten color combinations as panoramic basic lands.

I'm wondering if the "X Offering" mechanic from Betrayers might be something they'd bring back. Sacrifice to the gods is pretty universal across ancient religions, and they could tweak it such that it's not tied to certain tribes, but instead just a general "feed dudes" kind of thing.

EDIT: @Nihil: Oddly, Maze's End isn't legendary, although it seems like it should be. Even for legendary-sounding locations (*cough**cough*Valakut*cough*), they seem to just be okay with making them non-legendary lands. In that sense, the Eye was kind of a fluke.

Also - amusingly - when you do a simple search on Gatherer for card type "land" and set the filter to "Legendary," all of the blue-producing duals/shocks show up, as well as basic and snow-covered Islands. Clearly, we're due for some power-level errata!

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

Please dont panick over legendary duals just take two asperen all is good
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Also - amusingly - when you do a simple search on Gatherer for card type "land" and set the filter to "Legendary," all of the blue-producing duals/shocks show up, as well as basic and snow-covered Islands. Clearly, we're due for some power-level errata!
    The filters on Gatherer suck. In fact I cannot stand that site b/c it always loses my session like right in the middle of browsing like 5 pages of hits for any given random search, and then only lets me reload and start over sometimes. I dunno if that's a shared experience or not but it happens to me at work and at home.

Anyway, MaRo's been called out - and acknowledged it - for providing misinformation about what WotC is "willing" to let see print. I'm not offering this as proof of Legenduals, but I am saying that they have no compunction when it comes to outright lying about upcoming sets. Which is fine, no reason to ruin the fun of spoiler season - just saying is all :P

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    MaRo and others have said over and over that they hate how Legendary lands play and they only make them for rare exceptions that won't force you to risk manascrewing yourself, i.e. that you don't want to play in too many copies (Eye of Ugin, Maze's End).

Legendary duals will not be printed in the near future.
    Maro also said that the change on the legendary rules allow them to finally print more legendary lands.

Also Maro said many things. I prefer to dream, no asperen for me thanks :D

I'm not bothered to find it now

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    The filters on Gatherer suck. In fact I cannot stand that site b/c it always loses my session like right in the middle of browsing like 5 pages of hits for any given random search, and then only lets me reload and start over sometimes. I dunno if that's a shared experience or not but it happens to me at work and at home.

Anyway, MaRo's been called out - and acknowledged it - for providing misinformation about what WotC is "willing" to let see print. I'm not offering this as proof of Legenduals, but I am saying that they have no compunction when it comes to outright lying about upcoming sets. Which is fine, no reason to ruin the fun of spoiler season - just saying is all :P
    Legenduals don't have great game play, though. I think at this point, harking back to Alpha matters less than the ability to fetch these cards, and only being able to have one of your awesome mana fixers in play at a time because Legend Rule doesn't seem like a great selling point for cards that would probably be construed as violating the spirit of the Reserved List.

My guess is the art we've been shown is either concept art from the Style Guide or else panoramic art for basic lands, possibly a mix of both.

EDIT: Yeah, Gatherer does have issues. It annoys me to no end that I can't, say, search for all multicolor cards in a specific wedge or shard because the system explodes if you try to tell it to "require multicolor" and "exclude unselected colors". For example, if I want just Esper multicolor cards, there's no way to get it to show me just WU, UB, WB, and WUB cards. You have to search all multicolor cards that include the colors you want and just skim past the combinations you don't like.

Jun 2011
    Czech Republic

This is not satisfying? But yeah, their logical equations are pretty limited.

As a huge history nerd and someone who has watched a lot of 300 and played a shitload of God of War I'm more excited for this set than any previous expansion. Such sweet flavor, like Innistrad but with way more badassery and awesomeness! Now if they would just give me some Urza's Saga-level enchantments(so I can play ridic, creatureless combo/control decks) and Academy Ruins for enchantments(ditto) I can go back to being happy.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Thread Information