Thread: shardless bug vs random combo

shardless bug vs random combo

In general how does shardless bug do against combo? out of the b/g decks (dark maverick, jund, shardless bug) what are the best AT fighting combo? These are more of personal questions, hopefully i put this in the correct location, thank you!

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

Re: shardless bug vs random combo

It really depends which combo deck you're going up against. Normally, the order is this:
    1. shardless BUG
    2. Jund
    3. Junk maverick

Almost all three of these decks don't have a super-good matchup against combo. Probably with the exception of shardless BUG. But then again, it doesn't run soft counters which is what sort of brings the matchup somewhat better for the combo player.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

They have bad combo matchups but sometimes the discard can get there
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I feel like junk has an unfavorable match up, but it is definitely winnable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

With shardless, you fight the combo decks postboard by bringing in soft counters and siding out shardless agents. From my experience, liliana, force, clique, thoughtseize and flusterstorms have been enough to bring down most combo decks.

I think the second best would be junk postboard since it can bring in thalias, teegs and canonists to supplement its discard suite.

Worst is Jund imo since all of its hate besides reb is stopped by an opposing leyline. Thats not to say it can't get there, but it has the narrowest angle of attack.

Say i am looking for a deck that beats reanimator, omnishow, and dredge with ease. What decks am i looking at. Those are my most common matchups.

A classical Threshold should be fine in this meta ^^

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by noahgs View Post
    Say i am looking for a deck that beats reanimator, omnishow, and dredge with ease. What decks am i looking at. Those are my most common matchups.
    Maverick-style decks have strong matchups against Reanimator and Dredge. You can start with Junk and add a bunch of Oblivion Rings and Ethersworn Canonists to shore up the Omni matchup.

RUG delver with good sideboard cards should do the trick, in my limited experience.

Apr 2011
    So Cal

Quote Originally Posted by somethingdotdotdot View Post
    From my experience, liliana, force, clique, thoughtseize and flusterstorms have been enough to bring down most combo decks.
    ^^This^^

From the combo (storm) perspective, I've noticed that discard backed with counters and a clock are problematic. That said you need to know what to pull with discard and what needs to be countered so experience and familiarity with the matchup is key.

Thread Information