Thread: Having some difficulty deciding...

Nov 2012
    The Bluegrass

Having some difficulty deciding...

So I've been slowly accumulating cards for Legacy over the last year or so, and I've moved on from Merfolk. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing the deck, but I think the deck plays in a very linear fashion (play a guy, attack, stick a Vial, dude, attack, FoW - see the pattern?). I think that I enjoy the decision trees and that's why I've moved away from playing it. Accordingly, I bought some Tangle Wires on eBay on a whim - probably because the auction was super cheap, which lead me to purchase some Smokestacks - also super cheap, and now I'm leaning more toward a Stax build. The only problem is that I've also purchased some other cards, e.g., Winter's Grasp, Thermokarst, Argothian Wurm, Plow Under, Stunted Growth, Winter Orb, etc., and I've considered some kind of tempo-based aggro-control build too. So I'm not really sure which direction I'd like to go for sure.

I suppose the point in all this is this: I need some help deciding which path to take here. I'm open to suggestion, and if you'd like to suggest decklists or ask questions about the card pool that's perfectly fine too. I'm just curious what the arguments are for the decks that are suggested. One thing though, until I acquire some additional cards for some other build, this will probably have to remain mono-Green (have to keep it interesting). At the current time I don't own any Dual Lands or Shocklands.

I look forward to your responses and thanks!

Re: Having some difficulty deciding...

I can't seem to find the thread as of the moment, but a long while there was a mono-green stompy thread floating around that might be something worth taking a look at.

Outside of that, you also have the option of playing MUD. Obviously quite a different deck that will involve some additional investment, but at least you won't be shelling out tons of money for duals/fetches.

Nov 2012
    The Bluegrass

I've peeked at MUD and Stompy - both decklists are interesting, regardless of the variant. I don't know that I'm willing to make the extra investment in MUD to make it viable for me. The Stompy route is considerably less challenging so long as you forego 'Goyfs - which I will be doing because $400+ on that guy is ree-dick-you-luss.

At any rate, I ordered some additional stuff from ChannelFireball.com today with the store credit they owed me, so I'm a little closer to a Stax or a Green Chalice Aggro list if I wanted to go that direction.

Also, has anyone ever considered adding Beacon of Creation as maybe a 2-of in a green Stax list? Seems like it would be okay, though not necessarily an all-star. It would provide fodder and also act as another win condition if the board state allowed for it. And I saw a video a few days ago that featured Armageddon Stax that had Sundial of the Infinite in it. That kind of appeals to me too. Very neat interaction - just ratchet up the Soot Counters and end the turn. I liked it.

Thoughts?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPenguin007 View Post
    I've peeked at MUD and Stompy - both decklists are interesting, regardless of the variant. I don't know that I'm willing to make the extra investment in MUD to make it viable for me. The Stompy route is considerably less challenging so long as you forego 'Goyfs - which I will be doing because $400+ on that guy is ree-dick-you-luss.

At any rate, I ordered some additional stuff from ChannelFireball.com today with the store credit they owed me, so I'm a little closer to a Stax or a Green Chalice Aggro list if I wanted to go that direction.

Also, has anyone ever considered adding Beacon of Creation as maybe a 2-of in a green Stax list? Seems like it would be okay, though not necessarily an all-star. It would provide fodder and also act as another win condition if the board state allowed for it. And I saw a video a few days ago that featured Armageddon Stax that had Sundial of the Infinite in it. That kind of appeals to me too. Very neat interaction - just ratchet up the Soot Counters and end the turn. I liked it.

Thoughts?
    mono green chalice aggro is fun. Stax was one of my fav decks, but it got old losing to yourself. Stax is a very linear deck by nature. You play trinisphere or chalice asap to prevent your opponent from casting spells, then you slowly worsent the situaiton for them, lock them with stax and u get there with any threat you want. It's problem is consistency. Although with the new legend rule, Stax with stage/depths combo might be fun. it kills fast and stax usually can provide that window.

MGA is a totally diff deck. I dont think green has the creatures to make it worth your time without goyf. you are looking at stuff like thrun, troll aesceitc, id recommend splashing white for loxodon smiter. stoneforge, especially since you;ll just stick a sword on one of those troll shroud creatures and go to town.... That deck seems kinda linear too.

if you want a deck thats not linear, play cb top/miracles. That deck is like a puzzle, but not a complete mess like Doomsday. you should have most of the expensive cards from merfolk, and it has a prison aspect if you like that as well.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Azusa, Lost but Seeking and Choke are good for green stax. The latter is good to have regardless.
    Hill Giant means business.

Nov 2012
    The Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    mono green chalice aggro is fun. Stax was one of my fav decks, but it got old losing to yourself. Stax is a very linear deck by nature. You play trinisphere or chalice asap to prevent your opponent from casting spells, then you slowly worsent the situaiton for them, lock them with stax and u get there with any threat you want. It's problem is consistency. Although with the new legend rule, Stax with stage/depths combo might be fun. it kills fast and stax usually can provide that window.

MGA is a totally diff deck. I dont think green has the creatures to make it worth your time without goyf. you are looking at stuff like thrun, troll aesceitc, id recommend splashing white for loxodon smiter. stoneforge, especially since you;ll just stick a sword on one of those troll shroud creatures and go to town.... That deck seems kinda linear too.

if you want a deck thats not linear, play cb top/miracles. That deck is like a puzzle, but not a complete mess like Doomsday. you should have most of the expensive cards from merfolk, and it has a prison aspect if you like that as well.
    @apple713 - Thanks for the reply! Stax is something I kind of fell into. If I had not spotted a cheap auction on eBay I'd have never given it a second thought, but the price couldn't be beat. The list I'm working on starts like so:

4 x Root Maze
    4 x Trinisphere
    4 x Smokestack
    4 x Tangle Wire
    4 x Winter Orb

etc.

At least something like that anyhow. I'm just looking for something off-the-wall and completely non-traditional when it comes to Legacy. Basically, I enjoy trolling - whether I'm winning or not. And if I happen to win a round or two in between, all the better. Legacy is all about fun for me, win or lose.

@kusumoto: I have a playset of Choke, but not Azusa.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Just a small note - the Stax/Stompy cards are hardly usable outside the archetype, so be careful with your purchases. Grap them cheap, but other than that, don't bother pimping the stuff, unless you'll realize you love the deck.

Nov 2012
    The Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Just a small note - the Stax/Stompy cards are hardly usable outside the archetype, so be careful with your purchases. Grap them cheap, but other than that, don't bother pimping the stuff, unless you'll realize you love the deck.
    Thank you for the tip on that. I've always enjoyed playing green, so I'll be on the lookout for cheap cards for these archetypes. Maybe I can expand some of them into Maverick in the future. Like you said, some of them are portable into other decks, but most won't go though.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPenguin007 View Post
    Thank you for the tip on that. I've always enjoyed playing green, so I'll be on the lookout for cheap cards for these archetypes. Maybe I can expand some of them into Maverick in the future. Like you said, some of them are portable into other decks, but most won't go though.
    Otoh, you might have lots of fun with Stax/Stompy decks. I played both and it was nice. Inconsistent? Yes, definitely. But funny anyway.

Thread Information