Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which cards give control decks the most trouble?

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Re: Which cards give control decks the most trouble?

Defense Grid is pretty good against Blue based control. As is Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Choke
    Sulfuric Vortex
    Chains of Mephistopheles
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I'm getting the idea that maybe stopping them isnt necessarily the way to go about it but rather gain card advantage over them?
    THIS

IMO targeted hosing, aside from Islands hate (Choke), isn't the way to go because control decks, unlike other decks, aren't really trying to DO anything to hose in the first place. They're just trying to stay in control of the game. There's nothing to hose, because they're the one waiting for you to make a move and they're the one reacting. So beat them by breaking that control by either:

-gaining massive card advantage they can't compete with (Goblin Ringleader, Dark Confidant, Punishing Fire, Lingering Souls, planeswalkers, etc.)

-playing things they can't interact with (Aether Vial, Cavern of Souls, Abrupt Decay, Thrun, not spending mana all game then attacking with 10 zombie tokens)

-or limiting access to their tools to control you (City of Solitude, Wasteland, Rishadan Port, Chalice of the Void, Suppression Field, Manabarbs, Blood Moon, etc.)

Rather than control "hate", I think there's a lot more "protection" from control - e.g. Abrupt Decay, Vexing Shusher, Cavern of Souls, Silence, Xantid Swarm, City of Solitude. Suitable protection depends on your deck's strategy I guess...

That said, if you want to beat on some control decks, just sleeve up some Merfolk or Goblins.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    THIS

IMO targeted hosing, aside from Islands hate (Choke), isn't the way to go because control decks, unlike other decks, aren't really trying to DO anything to hose in the first place. They're just trying to stay in control of the game. There's nothing to hose, because they're the one waiting for you to make a move and they're the one reacting. So beat them by breaking that control by either:

-gaining massive card advantage they can't compete with (Goblin Ringleader, Dark Confidant, Punishing Fire, Lingering Souls, planeswalkers, etc.)

-playing things they can't interact with (Aether Vial, Cavern of Souls, Abrupt Decay, Thrun, not spending mana all game then attacking with 10 zombie tokens)

-or limiting access to their tools to control you (City of Solitude, Wasteland, Rishadan Port, Chalice of the Void, Suppression Field, Manabarbs, Blood Moon, etc.)

Rather than control "hate", I think there's a lot more "protection" from control - e.g. Abrupt Decay, Vexing Shusher, Cavern of Souls, Silence, Xantid Swarm, City of Solitude. Suitable protection depends on your deck's strategy I guess...

That said, if you want to beat on some control decks, just sleeve up some Merfolk or Goblins.
    You are right, about control decks doing nothing. My question shuold have been, what cards can control decks do very little about or have little interaction with. Things like what you named.

what cards are extremly hard to keep in control?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    Sylvan Library
    This card right here.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Nimble Mongoose
    Goblin Ringleader
    Mother of Runes
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Ensnaring Bridge
    Vexing Shusher
    Gaddock Teeg
    Pithing Needle
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Umezawa's Jitte
    Anarchy
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Haven't seen Bitterblossom mentioned yet.

Discard in general was classically the anti-counter strategy, as was mana denial, but both are fairly conditional and lose effectiveness as the game goes on. Seriously though...Boiling Seas? Has everyone forgotten that Boil is a card?!
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Decree of Justice!

Control generally has to answer things to win games. If a threat is either so fast or so resilient that they can't answer it, they lose.

As such, some examples...

Mother of Runes. Honestly not sure why this hasn't been mentioned more, but blanking spot removal is great against control.
    Aether Vial. Listed by a lot of other people, it's good because it blanks one of only three ways they have of dealing with creatures - counters, spot removal, and sweepers. (Some control decks also generate blockers, and those are the ones Aether Vial tends to be not quite so good against.) It also makes your entire deck faster if it sticks.
    Liliana. If they can't hold onto cards, they can't hold onto answers. Since you only need one threat to stick to win and they need to answer every threat, every card is worth more for them than it is for you.
    Sylvan Library. Conversely, since they need to answer every threat and you only need one to stick, having even a single extra threat to put down can win you the game. Library can do that for you, and more.
    Sulfuric Vortex. It's very resilient - Abrupt Decay is its only real worry in most control decks - and it puts the control player on a hard clock.
    Nimble Mongoose. 3/3 with Shroud that comes down for one mana? Like MoM but hits harder and doesn't need backup.
    Thalia. If they can't cast all of the answers they have, they won't win. Combine with mana denial to make your deck fast enough to win before they can answer your threats.

Obviously there are lots more, but the reasons stay more or less the same. If your deck is full of threats and the opponent's deck is full of answers, you only need to stick one threat they can't deal with fast enough to win. Faster, more resilient threats having a greater chance of sticking long enough to win. If every threat you land can only be answered one way, and you land a threat every turn while turning off your opponent's CA/CQ engines, you will eventually win. If you land enough to go lethal by turn three and can do so again on turn five if they play a sweeper - think Goblins, in many games - then you're so fast they can't do anything but try to have a sweeper every couple of turns. And, of course, there's a lot between those extremes, but that's really how you do it.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by from Cairo View Post
    This card right here.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Oct 2010
    Germany

The problem is to find ways to deal with a lot of problematic cards at the same time. Technically there is an answer to very problematic card. At the moment, I'd say, you really should have an answer to Jitte, Sylvan Library, Dark Confidant (Abrupt Decay, EE), Punishing Fires (RiP, C. Wish, EtA, CB, Trinket Mage) and enough gas for grindy matchups.
    Baneslayer Angel
    a bullet renders all sizes equal

I ran a hate deck that used Jace 2, Magus of the Moon, Peacekeeper, meddling mage, Mother of Runes, Forces, spell pierce, (pithing needles, canonist, thalia in the board) etc.
    I loved that deck.

One of the main problems was that I would get completely blown out by terminus since I would rely too much on bears. Meddling Mage can't stop cycling of gem palm and you don't always have a mom.
    Meddling mage could be on supreme verdict or terminus. Without mom, they will just plow mage or play the other sweeper.

I ran Echoing Truth to deal with spirits or angels. Without spierce or force backup it would be gg if responded to.

The slow clock of a hate deck like this isn't enough to take down control. If I did it again, I'd probably run Geist + Jitte in an attempt to shore it up.
    Unfortunately, geist is a spirit cleric and not a "human" spirit.

I didn't run caverns due to running both magus of moon & jace 2 (manabase was extremely tight because of this) but luckily magus of the moon, meddling mage, canonist, thalia, peacekeeper are all human.

Super fun. Good luck.
    There have been a lot of green suggestions in there. Maybe burning tree shaman has a place if top is abused.
    Personally, I think vial isn't good enough but revoker works great with vial if you go that route. Remember, they can't respond to revoker etb if they agree the vial activation resolves so you can snipe tops, etc.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    I ran a hate deck that used Jace 2, Magus of the Moon, Peacekeeper, meddling mage, Mother of Runes, Forces, spell pierce, (pithing needles, canonist, thalia in the board) etc.
    I loved that deck.

One of the main problems was that I would get completely blown out by terminus since I would rely too much on bears. Meddling Mage can't stop cycling of gem palm and you don't always have a mom.
    Meddling mage could be on supreme verdict or terminus. Without mom, they will just plow mage or play the other sweeper.

I ran Echoing Truth to deal with spirits or angels. Without spierce or force backup it would be gg if responded to.

The slow clock of a hate deck like this isn't enough to take down control. If I did it again, I'd probably run Geist + Jitte in an attempt to shore it up.
    Unfortunately, geist is a spirit cleric and not a "human" spirit.

I didn't run caverns due to running both magus of moon & jace 2 (manabase was extremely tight because of this) but luckily magus of the moon, meddling mage, canonist, thalia, peacekeeper are all human.

Super fun. Good luck.
    There have been a lot of green suggestions in there. Maybe burning tree shaman has a place if top is abused.
    Personally, I think vial isn't good enough but revoker works great with vial if you go that route. Remember, they can't respond to revoker etb if they agree the vial activation resolves so you can snipe tops, etc.
    I've spoken with you about your deck before and its where i've gotten some of the ideas for my current build from. I've gone a different route than red but may revisit it. The current build i've been working on doesnt win fast enough or put enough pressure on control decks.

Main problems i ran into with my first build was dealing with elspeth cause it flies over moat. oh and being short on lands. Geist does seem like a problem as well
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Great Sable Stag.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Kagehisa View Post
    Great Sable Stag.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Vs miracles I enjoy chalice of the void plus gaddock teeg :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Cards whose high power budget is offset by a weakness insignificant vs control
    Some cards are only printed with their high power because they have a weakness to make it balanced.
    Against control however, both time and life are resources that you have in abundance, thus making the following cards very strong versus control, even though they don't actually attack them directly.

Bitterblossom (tokens for Time and Life)
    Dark Confidant (cards for time and life)
    Ancestral Visions (cards for time)
    Luminarch Ascension (tokens for time, weak against damage but you don't get damage vs control)

Cards which attack or tax Mana
    The Control Spells are mostly expensive noncreatures, which leaves them succeptible (or however it is spelled) to mana denial or taxing.

Wasteland
    Daze
    Spell Pierce
    Rishadan Port
    Blood Moon if 3 Colors

Cards which prevent countering or cannot be countered or don't care much about it because they can be played again
    Manlands
    Cavern of Souls
    Lingering Souls
    Life from the Loam
    Defense Grid
    City of Solitude
    Xantid Swarm
    Hardcast Emrakul (12 Post)

Anti-Blue
    In General:
    Red Elemental Blast
    Pyroblast