Thread: 20 years of Magic: The Gathering - a game that changed the world

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

20 years of Magic: The Gathering - a game that changed the world

I wanna share my fellow friend, testing partner and author of the e-book "so do you wear a cape? The history and mystery of Magic: The Gathering" (available in Septemer 2013) Titus Chalk's latest article about the game, published on Sabotage Times

You might want to visit the Facebook Page for "So do you wear a cape?" for news about the upcoming e-book

Thx, for your time
    Last edited by Lemnear; 08-01-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: 20 years of Magic: The Gathering - a game that changed the world

Thanks for the link, Lemnear. That was a truly entertaining and well thought-out piece. I love his perspective.

But oh my god...I hope he can afford an editor for his book.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Stop looking at my shiny purple helmet...
    Apr 2008
    London UK

Titus is one of Eternal UKs best players and possibly the most erudite, so please keep an eye out for his book. It has interviews with several of the games greatest, including Richard Garfield! I am really looking forward to reading his book also!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon

In a world where people spend $400 on four pieces of cardboard, you'd think an editor could make a killing in this article circuit. God knows every single writer in the Magic scene needs one.

That was a very interesting article, thanks for the link.

I wouldn't solely credit MtG for the whole "Stigmatised nerds became self-identifying geeks and mental athletes could suddenly look at themselves with the same self-esteem their sporting peers did." thing, but I think it played a part, and this is a transformation of society I have truly enjoyed over the two last decades : it's now acceptable to play games as a grown-up, be it video games, P&P RPGs... and to enjoy nerdy movies and books. I appreciate being able to talk in society about my hobbies without people looking at me strangely.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Good read!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Oct 2010
    Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Thanks for the link, Lemnear. That was a truly entertaining and well thought-out piece. I love his perspective.

But oh my god...I hope he can afford an editor for his book.
    Hey thanks for reading - and just to clarify what happened with this piece: I'm a professional journalist and no matter what happens during the writing process typos happen. Normally, any piece that is published gets a thorough sub-edit, unfortunately not only did this not happen in this case, but also during the posting process there was actually extra mistakes someohow cut in - notably in the first paragraph. As the author, that is incredibly frustrating - but I can't control the site's processes, only complain after the fact that they haven't subbed my work professionally. C'est la vie unfortunately.

And yes, the book will be professionally subbed. I've worked in journalism/publishing for the last eight years and take the process very seriously. Similarly, having spent all year writing over 100,000 words on Magic, I want to put out the best product possible. I promise it will be a good one, so please do stay tuned! Hopefully you've checked out the cover on the Facebook page, which should be a nice indicator of the quality of finish I'm aiming for :)

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Was free to add the book Cover to the OP, Titus.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

That's a really nice article. Would love to see the ebook when it publishes.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

"[...] Suddenly, instead of being lonely, I had a gang of mates around me with whom I could travel to nearby Auckland almost every Saturday to play an awesome new game with on the tables [...]"

Thank you for those words titus, I feel them deep inside.
    Ignorance is strength

Oct 2010
    Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    Thank you for those words titus, I feel them deep inside.
    My pleasure! Friendship and community are what this game is ultimately all about :)

Glad to see this got off the ground. Nice meeting you @ BoM!

-Sean O'Brien

Oct 2010
    Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Glad to see this got off the ground. Nice meeting you @ BoM!

-Sean O'Brien
    Cheers Sean and thanks for your help! More to come soon! If you're on facebook, feel free to join the group and I'll have news on release up there soonish, possibly some extracts in short order, too.

Thread Information