Thread: [Multiplayer EDH] The Mimeoplasm - Reanimator Combo

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

[Multiplayer EDH] The Mimeoplasm - Reanimator Combo

It's been a while since I've posted here. For those that know me, my user name used to be MCR (and still is on MTGS). I don't play much Magic anymore, but I still spend time playing multiplayer EDH and making decklists for fun.

History & Evolution

This list started as Grixis with Sedris, the Traitor King at the helm. This deck was originally based around heavy looting and single-target reanimator, followed by a late game mass unearthing of Palinchron-type cards for a one-sided Living Death. I then realized that instead of trying to mimic Living Death, I should just revamp the list to play more Living Death effects. As I shifted the direction of the deck, I realized how useless and expensive of a commander Sedris was, and how the only way to break parity with my plethora of looting effects was to use Squee, Goblin Nabob. After revising the list a hundred times over, I finally confirmed that Grixis would not satisfy my goals nor reach the power level I desired. I then consulted Kuma and Yawg for ideas and eventually drafted a The Mimeoplasm list that managed to both take advantage of early reanimation and still have easy access to game-ending combos. Green offers stronger reanimation targets and gives the deck Survival of the Fittest as well as creature tutors, leading to more lines of broken play. While I'm quite happy with the list in its current incarnation, it never hurts to get more heads in on the matter!

Noteworthy

This list is intended to hang with higher-powered decks. I don't expect it to consistently win vs Hermit or Storm, but at least be able to duke with the upper tier of generals. There have been some arguments about turning the list into dedicated Hermit, but why do that when it'd be strictly inferior to 5C Scion? I did mock up that list, and no matter what, it just wasn't as consistent. From another perspective, a good thing about the deck is that it's a flexible one, meaning you can always shoot to play a reanimator "fair" game and avoid going infinite in different metas. I've opted also not to include the "cute" Mimeoplasm targets, such as Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon. I'd much rather win in a sweeping fashion and not leave any outs for my opponents.

Decklist

The Mimeoplasm

Combo Pieces (4)
    Necrotic Ooze
    Phyrexian Devourer
    Triskelion
    Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

Reanimation Targets (7)
    Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    Tidespout Tyrant
    Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    Sylvan Primordial
    Terastodon
    Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
    Sheoldred, Whispering One

Reanimation (8)
    Reanimate
    Exhume
    Life // Death
    Animate Dead
    Dance of the Dead
    Necromancy
    Victimize
    Living Death

Tutors (15)
    Entomb
    Vampiric Tutor
    Imperial Seal
    Mystical Tutor
    Personal Tutor
    Worldly Tutor
    Sylvan Tutor
    Crop Rotation
    Demonic Tutor
    Diabolic Intent
    Survival of the Fittest
    Fauna Shaman
    Intuition
    Buried Alive
    Grim Tutor

Looting (11)
    Bazaar of Baghdad
    Careful Study
    Read the Runes
    Hapless Researcher
    Drowned Rusulka
    Enclave Cryptologist
    Magus of the Bazaar
    Merfolk Looter
    Thought Courier
    Looter il-Kor
    Ideas Unbound

Dig Engine (4)
    Sylvan Library
    Life from the Loam
    Golgari Thug
    Stinkweed Imp
    Golgari Grave-Troll

Utility / Defense Suite (9)
    Pact of Negation
    Force of Will
    Mana Drain
    Plasm Capture
    Cyclonic Rift
    Beast Within
    Gilded Drake
    Phantasmal Image
    Eternal Witness

Dorks & Ramp (8)
    Birds of Paradise
    Elves of Deep Shadow
    Llanowar Elves
    Elvish Mystic
    Fyndhorn Elves
    Llanowar Mentor
    Mana Crypt
    Sol Ring

Lands (32)
    Ancient Tomb
    Cephalid Coliseum
    Dryad Arbor
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Command Tower
    City of Brass
    Exotic Orchard
    Reflecting Pool
    Forbidden Orchard
    River of Tears

Underground Sea
    Tropical Island
    Bayou
    Watery Grave
    Breeding Pool
    Overgrown Tomb

Sunken Ruins
    Flooded Grove
    Twilight Mire
    Drowned Catacomb
    Hinterland Harbor
    Woodland Cemetery

Polluted Delta
    Misty Rainforest
    Verdant Catacombs
    Flooded Strand
    Scalding Tarn
    Wooded Foothills
    Windswept Heath
    Bloodstained Mire
    Marsh Flats

Snow-Covered Forest

Deck Goals & Game Plan
    1. Set up looting and engines to put reanimation targets into the graveyard.
    2. Use high-threat reanimation targets to inhibit opponents.
    3. End the game via combo. (could also be priority 1; in a vacuum, can win on turn 3-5 consistently)

Enablers & Combos
    • Buried Alive / Intuition / Survival of the Fittest / Fauna Shaman
      These all help set up the combos below - if you have one of these and a reanimation spell (or the general), you have the win in your grasp. Victimize is specifically in the deck for Mike/Trike. Note also that Living Death can also be used for the same purpose and not just a value play.
    • Necrotic Ooze in play w/ Phyrexian Devourer + Triskelion in yard
      The deck's primary "I win" combo. For those of you that don't know how it works, dump Devourer and Trike in the yard, then either cast Ooze or reanimate it. Ooze gains Devourer's ability, allowing you to exile the top card of your library till you have enough counters to use Trike's ping ability to kill the table. There are enough large creatures in the deck to fuel Devourer. The case hasn't come up where I didn't have enough to kill the table, but that's why there's also a second combo in the deck.
    • Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Triskelion
      The new favorite targets for TNN and Defense of the Heart can also be reanimated via two cheap reanimation spells or Victimize / Living Death. For those of you who don't know how it works, with both in play, remove two counters from Trike to shoot an opponent, then use the last counter to shoot Trike. Trike gains +1/+1 from Mike, but will retain the damage, sending it to the yard and triggering Mike's Undying clause. Repeat.

The "Why" & Notable Synergies
    • Why The Mimeoplasm?
      I would consider Mimeo to be the strongest BUG general. While Damia, Sage of Stone is also powerful, she doesn't ever directly contribute to a gameplan. Mimeo acts as redundancy to the list's goals while not being entirely necessary either. Conceptually, this deck borrows a lot from Kuma's Damia deck, including the Mike/Trike finisher. The difference is that this deck has the potential to be much more unfair and much more early, forcing your opponents to have an answer or crumble from the multiple avenues of attack. The drawback is that it's a front-loaded, threat-heavy deck, and doesn't have the control options and safety nets that Damia has. The list is also susceptible to the age-old argument of graveyard hate, but you already know that.
    • Why these reanimation targets?
      There are many options, but we have isolated the most devastating targets. The goal is to put yourself so far ahead so early on that you'll be able to dominate the early game. The deck will only grow stronger as they print more disruptive, large creatures. Notable omissions include: Woodfall Primus, Sphinx Ambassador, Consecrated Sphinx, and the two Eldrazi. One could make the case for Consecrated Sphinx, but it still pales in comparison to Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, who will always be the card-drawer target of choice. Instead of playing "solid" targets, the list opts to play Sylvan Tutor and Worldly Tutor to shoot for "broken" targets only. When playing this deck, he and Sylvan Primordial will most likely be the first in line to be brought back from the dead. This deck has been well-equipped to reanimate these guys on an average of turn 3, with an occasional turn 2.
    • Why dredgers?
      The greatest form of raw card advantage this deck has to offer comes from the interaction between Life from the Loam and Bazaar of Baghdad, hence Crop Rotation. While this is a deck that is still heavily tutor-based, the lulls in the game can be filled with intense dredging via looting to abuse with the general. While dredgers don't necessarily offer "broken" plays, they butter up the consistency of one of the deck's goals (using high-threat reanimation targets to inhibit opponents.) Note also that Sylvan Library is a great way to abuse dredge if you're digging hard.
    • Why mana dorks? Dryad Arbor?
      This deck's curve is quite low and doesn't need very much mana to combo off with. Why include the elves at all? The first reason is to feed Mimeo. Mimeo reads that he needs to exile two creatures in your graveyard. Since we aren't running dynamic duos like Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon + Death's Shadow or Simic Sky-Swallower + Lord of Extinction, we're opting only to take advantage of Mimeo's first function: a reanimation spell. The second reason is to feed Survival of the Fittest and Fauna Shaman; in a deck that's light on fatties to pitch, these will often be palmed to start the sequence. The third, to a lesser extent, is to feed Victimize and Soul Exchange (no longer in the list). Lastly, ramp is ramp. Being a turn faster, especially when your goal is to utilize the GGG from Survival for your instant-win combo, is important in a high-powered metagame. A case can be argued for Bloom Tender and Joraga Treespeaker, but they often conflict with the turn 2 looter play and make for an un-optimal turn 4 play (after you reanimate on turn 3). Curve must be a consideration when you're playing in games where every turn matters.
    • Why no Hermit Druid?
      Other than the case I made before about the deck being a strictly inferior variant of the 5C Scion build, running Hermit actually hurts the first combo of the deck. It's as simple as that. We could add more basics to turn Hermit into a pure value creature, but that'd hurt the myriad of varying mana costs that the first few turns require. I acknowledge that this deck would be a turn faster and more consistent if it were to be a Hermit deck, but it creates a monotonous style of play that I'm not a fan of. It'd also warp about 12-15 slots in the list dedicated to making Hermit Druid more efficient.
    • Mikaeus, the Unhallowed & Tidespout Tyrant, not just combo pieces?
      It's worth noting that a few games were won via some broken plays you can make with these guys. For more seasoned players, you probably already know that these guys can randomly enable broken interactions. Sacrifice effects, namely Victimize and Read the Runes paired with Mike lead to some devastating Sylvan Primordial and Terastadon plays. Tidespout needs no introduction, with plays that involve Gilded Drake, Eternal Witness, and even any target that you can bounce back to your hand, loot, and reanimate again. They really get to shine in this deck, even without access to any infinite mana shenanigans.

Improving the List

This is where you guys can help me point out cards that are weak, cards that I have forgotten, and other paths to victory that might make more sense. I haven't played with this list a whole lot, so I can definitely see it morphing in time to become much more efficient. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Special thanks to Kuma and Yawg for putting up with my incessant questions on my quest to create a viable reanimator list in EDH
    Last edited by badjuju; 08-06-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Sep 2011

Re: [Multiplayer EDH] The Mimeoplasm - Reanimator Combo

Jarad's Orders
    Tooth and Nail
    Corpse Connoisseur

All seem good with 2-card "I win" creature combos...

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

Jarad's Orders
    Tooth and Nail
    Corpse Connoisseur

All seem good with 2-card "I win" creature combos...
    Good suggestions, all of which have been considered. The only real issue with all of them is that they're a tad above the curve I'm shooting for. The exception would be Jarad's Orders, but I feel like I already have a critical mass of tutors, and 4CMC is a bit high for a card that requires some assembly (ie. having a looter). If it were instant speed, it'd be an auto-include.

Tooth and Nail should probably be in this deck, but outside of a nutty ramp draw, a Mana Drain effect, double-Sylvan Primordial triggers, or a Vorinclex in play, I don't see it happening at the speed I want it to. It's probably still a ridiculously good plan C for the deck, and I'm just being naieve, but this list is so streamlined that seeing the card in my opening hand is almost a dead draw. Still, it's more than most likely going to find its way in here sooner than later.

Corpse Connoisseur is just too slow and too big of a telegraph to really make the impact I want him to.

---

I managed to play a few games tonight against a more tame metagame. This deck performed admirably, and can really blow the doors open early on. I noticed that a few cards sat in my hand and did almost nothing all game, namely looking at Krosan Grip and Defense of the Heart. The list is very proactive, and as a result, will quickly move past these "waiting" cards. As I played the deck a bit more, I also felt that I could use slightly more consistency, so I've added Llanowar Mentor (looks really good on paper) and Diabolic Intent as replacement for the two. I always, always, have a creature to sac for the tutor, and the Mentor is exactly the kind of card I've been looking for. Putrid Imp was another consideration, but outside of a potential turn 2 blowout play, it does nothing all game.

I'm really happy with the list as it is, but I'm sure there'll be more slight changes as I up the game count.

EDIT:

Thinking about potentially cutting the dredge engine for a few utility creatures. I rarely dredge, and this deck is super light on reanimation targets as is. Although this hurts Living Death slightly, I don't think I'm too worried about it. I'm considering Phyrexian Metamorph, Sower of Temptation and Venser, Shaper Savant.

Sep 2011

Yeah Tooth and Corpse are a bit slow. FYI, Jarad's doesn't always require assembly. If you dredge either Phyrexian Devourer or Triskelion into your GY naturally, you Jarad for the other in the GY and Necrotic Ooze in hand, then untap and win. That seems likely a rather large number of games. It also lets you dump a fatty in the yard and get a tucked Mimeoplasm back in hand. Or fatty in yard and E. Witness in hand to recur a reanimation effect. There are so many lines of play with it where it functions far better than just a bad Buried Alive. You can do a lot with creatures in hand. I guess it depends on how linearly you play out the combos and how often you feel flexible to just go with a convenient broken play.

As for creatures to reanimate, what do you think about Sepulchral Primordial? It allows you to create value plays in absence of a combo, where you can just grab a second guy from your yard as well as a bunch of other random guys. If any opponent has any clone effect in GY, you can double Primordial... This is a multiplayer deck, right? Primordials are nuts as the number of players increases.

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Yeah Tooth and Corpse are a bit slow. FYI, Jarad's doesn't always require assembly. If you dredge either Phyrexian Devourer or Triskelion into your GY naturally, you Jarad for the other in the GY and Necrotic Ooze in hand, then untap and win. That seems likely a rather large number of games. It also lets you dump a fatty in the yard and get a tucked Mimeoplasm back in hand. Or fatty in yard and E. Witness in hand to recur a reanimation effect. There are so many lines of play with it where it functions far better than just a bad Buried Alive. You can do a lot with creatures in hand. I guess it depends on how linearly you play out the combos and how often you feel flexible to just go with a convenient broken play.

As for creatures to reanimate, what do you think about Sepulchral Primordial? It allows you to create value plays in absence of a combo, where you can just grab a second guy from your yard as well as a bunch of other random guys. If any opponent has any clone effect in GY, you can double Primordial... This is a multiplayer deck, right? Primordials are nuts as the number of players increases.
    The cases you're making with Jarad's Orders are the same cases that could be made with virtually every other tutor in the deck, except Jarad's costs 4. If I'm gunning for the combo, I want to keep it as tight as possible - Buried Alive costs one less and can get the entire combo. Intuition and Survival of the Fittest are also both ways to do that at instant speed. The argument for a convenient broken play is a good one though. Gunning for an E-Witness, Phantasmal Image, or Gilded Drake would look like the primary reasons to play Jarad's Orders over something else. I'm not sure that alone warrants the spot, but I have a foil one that I'll probably try in the deck if I find an opening.

Sepulchral is too hit and miss, kind of like Defense of the Heart. Every fat reanimation target in this deck has an immediate, huge impact - Sepulchral does nothing in the first few turns of the game. Remember that this is a combo deck. If games really go that late, someone is going to combo and it's going to be over then and there. I have been looking for an alternative win condition if Trike gets removed. It hasn't come up yet, so I'll see what lines of play open up to me when I lose my infinite combos. I've been looking at Deadeye Navigator as something to pair with Terastadon or Sylvan Primordial, but I'm not sure that's enough.
    Last edited by badjuju; 08-06-2013 at 09:08 PM.

EDH | Legacy
    Jul 2010
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
    The cases you're making with Jarad's Orders are the same cases that could be made with virtually every other tutor in the deck, except Jarad's costs 4. If I'm gunning for the combo, I want to keep it as tight as possible - Buried Alive costs one less and can get the entire combo. Intuition and Survival of the Fittest are also both ways to do that at instant speed. The argument for a convenient broken play is a good one though. Gunning for an E-Witness, Phantasmal Image, or Gilded Drake would look like the primary reasons to play Jarad's Orders over something else. I'm not sure that alone warrants the spot, but I have a foil one that I'll probably try in the deck if I find an opening.

Sepulchral is too hit and miss, kind of like Defense of the Heart. Every fat reanimation target in this deck has an immediate, huge impact - Sepulchral does nothing in the first few turns of the game. Remember that this is a combo deck. If games really go that late, someone is going to combo and it's going to be over then and there. I have been looking for an alternative win condition if Trike gets removed. It hasn't come up yet, so I'll see what lines of play open up to me when I lose my infinite combos. I've been looking at Deadeye Navigator as something to pair with Terastadon or Sylvan Primordial, but I'm not sure that's enough.
    there are other options such as
    Palinchron
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Body Double
    Phantasmal Image

or Plan C

Putrefax
    Death Shadow
    Lord of Extinction
    for infect kill (just 1 player though)

Legacy decks
    The Reanimator