View Poll Results: What is your Favorite deck type to Play?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aggro

2 3.03%
  • Control

11 16.67%
  • Combo

18 27.27%
  • Aggro-Control

24 36.36%
  • Control-Combo

7 10.61%
  • Aggro-Combo

1 1.52%
  • Aggro-Control-Combo

3 4.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your Favorite deck type to play?

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Re: What is your Favorite deck type to play?

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Midrage doesnt exist in legacy or vintage (eternal formats).
    Lol. False both for Legacy and for Vintage.

Also, to the criticizers of Chapin wheel, do you mind to explain what's wrong with it? (I mean, try to explain Instead of just saying ''it's flawed'')
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Also, to the criticizers of Chapin wheel, do you mind to explain what's wrong with it? (I mean, try to explain Instead of just saying ''it's flawed'')
    Looks like he reinvented the wheel just because. There are already countless numbers of fancy fancy metagame clock, but Mr. Chapin must come with his own. And I fear they don't even work as the old ones did. I mean - the ones where your worst matchup was fifteen miutes behind you and your best matchup fifteen minutes before you and the most random matchup right across the clock, not down the road. This wheel learns us nothing. Also because the archetypes seem to be merged.

Erhnamgeddon.
    No crap, sry! Willowgeddon it was!
    I meant Terrageddon! Yes, Terrageddon, definitely.
    And ANT.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Lol. False both for Legacy and for Vintage.

Its really simple. First start by reading the definition for aggro-control. If thats to difficult for you it can be summed up by the following. Creatures with disruption or permission. Disruption can be discard and premission can be counterspells.

Midrange is a wasted extra part of the wheel. They are either slow aggro decks or they are aggo decks with disruption making them aggro-control. The more control you play the more towards a simple control deck.

All of your maverick, rug, shardless, d&t play under the aggro-control umbrella cause they can interact / disrupt combo. Decks like zoo goblins and burn have no interaction / disruption with combo decks and are considered aggro.

Stop trying to over complicate things.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

inteligent Combo and Prison ... superiority and suffering

basically Storm and Lands

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    inteligent Combo and Prison ... superiority and suffering

basically Storm and Lands
    You should rebuild your Lands, Martin! Because Lands is a joke for Solidarity...

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I do love me some Control-Combo and Aggro-Combo-Control. I just wish Survival was around because that was a hella dope card.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    You should rebuild your Lands, Martin! Because Lands is a joke for Solidarity...
    set myself to everything oldborder = korean or foil mode to prevent that... let's build a house, plant a tree, rise a son, finish beta/jap/kor ANT first, you know, life and such...

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post

Its really simple. First start by reading the definition for aggro-control. If thats to difficult for you it can be summed up by the following. Creatures with disruption or permission. Disruption can be discard and premission can be counterspells.

Midrange is a wasted extra part of the wheel. They are either slow aggro decks or they are aggo decks with disruption making them aggro-control. The more control you play the more towards a simple control deck.

All of your maverick, rug, shardless, d&t play under the aggro-control umbrella cause they can interact / disrupt combo. Decks like zoo goblins and burn have no interaction / disruption with combo decks and are considered aggro.

Stop trying to over complicate things.
    I have quite a different point of view.
    Having disruptive elements does not make something control. The same way that finishing in the red zone is not aggro. zoo is a pure aggro deck. Goblins can also start slow with vials and come up with matrons into ringleaders which has midrange character.

Midrange has the plan to trump with bigger stuff which has more control character than aggro which wants to go to the red zone before the opponent can stabilize. So although maverick and shardles kill with creatures and do have the potential to kill fast while disrupting they want to go long with trumps hence their principle gameplan is fundamentally different from a tempo based aggro-control deck like RUG.

I don't want top claim i am right or you are wrong but one thing is sure: if you really think delver variants, mother variants. tribal variants, gsz decks and cascade "play under the same umbrella" the questionnaire does not make sense.
    Currently playing: Elves

I always thought of it as Aggro, Combo, Control, Tempo and Prison as the superarchetypes. I'd like to point to Imperial Painter as a combo/aggro/control deck (ok, even though it's not even remotely an "aggro" deck, it still wins a decent amount of the time through beats).

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Midrange

Chalin's classifications are not great, but they're far better than the breakdowns in the OP. Of course, I'm a bit biased since apparently my favorite archetype which I've had the most success with apparently doesn't exist.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I think that the true Legacy composition can't be pegged into one particular supertype exclusively or systematically. The most successful decks throughout Legacy's history (and really all of Magic) have been decks that are adaptable and flexible. Some cards can be played as control; others as aggro. Their inclusion alone doesn't make the deck they sit in automatically those classifications.

Example: Jace, the Mind Sculptor in UW Stoneblade (as Control), and UR Know & Tell (as card advantage/win-con)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Aggro (1st one?)

Being someone who loves practicing martial arts, and simply having a lot of rage inside me, I enjoy the primal ecstasy of brutally beating the shit out of my opponent using the combat step. I'm currently playing Affinity and loving it.
    Last edited by Shawon; 08-08-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Mar 2007
    RI

I voted Aggro-Control. I think my preference would more be classified as Midrange-Control (Death and Taxes, Punishing Jund, Goblins).

Dec 2011
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Madmaniac21 View Post
    Combo or prison. As unfair as you can get em
    I second this, High Tide & Prison Stax are my favorite decks. Please don't hate me!
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

I like Aggro-Control I suppose.
    I've loved Death and Taxes since I first played it about 3 years ago. The tricks and all the fun you can have with it are amazing.
    I also love Forgemaster MUD... In short I love decks that have annoying tricks for my opponents. Nic Fit is a fun time as well.

Decks with tricks = Great fun ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I do love me some Control-Combo and Aggro-Combo-Control. I just wish Survival was around because that was a hella dope card.
    Aggro-Combo-Control... Does MUD count in that?

You can beat face with a a turn 2/3 Wurmcoil Engine.

You can turn 2 with a haste + shroud Blightsteel Colossus.

You can turn 1 Chalice at one, turn 2 Triniphere, turn 3 Lodestone Golem.

If it was the Source's way, how would you define strategies? I think Chapin's wheel was close but some are off.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    If it was the Source's way, how would you define strategies? I think Chapin's wheel was close but some are off.
    I think his wheel is mostly accurate in terms of enumerating the different possibilities, but he made up some redundant archetypes so that he could neatly fill in four subtypes in each quadrant.

Also, he illustrates aggro and control as diametrically opposites, but in fact, a tempo deck like RUG Delver represents both of those and would be most closely classified on his wheel as "aggro-control", but I think tempo should have a separate entry.

Finally, there are decks like NO RUG which are more appropriately classified by OP's entry of "aggro-combo-control".

===== Edit =====

In my opinion, these are the general archetypes:

Lava Spike - Burn (as Chapin described), Sligh
    Swarm aggro - Zoo, White Weenie
    Linear aggro - Most tribal decks and Affinity
    Tempo - RUG Delver, Team America, Merfolk
    Midrange aggro - Maverick, Big Zoo, Bant, Rock, Punishing Jund
    Midrange control - Esper Stoneblade, Shardless BUG
    Prison - Stompy, Stax, Parfait
    Resource Denial - Pox, mono-black control
    Stack-based control - Mono-blue control, most Countertop decks, Landstill
    One-card combos - Most Show and Tell decks, Flash, Survival (decks which overwhelmingly depend on a card A with several possible card Bs)
    Two-card combos - Reanimator, Trix, Painter-Stone, etc. (most decks which rely on two cards or card types)
    Engine-based combo - Storm, Elves, High Tide (High Tide requires its namesake card to go off, so it can also be considered a one-card combo in that sense, but there are a lot of redundant pieces to these types of decks)

In addition, there are many hybrid type decks that can switch between one role and another, and I don't feel it's worth making a separate archetype for every possible combination. For example, just to name a couple:

- Elves: switches between aggro and engine-based combo
    - Death and Taxes: switches between prison/resource denial control and swarm aggro
    - Suicide Necro: switches between swarm aggro and resource denial

I can't organize everything neatly into a handful of categories, which every deck belonging to one and only one. That would be like trying to cram the periodic table of elements into earth, wind, fire, and water.

Thread Information