Thread: [Article] Squandered Resources: Bringing Back the Dead and Making New Friends

[Article] Squandered Resources: Bringing Back the Dead and Making New Friends

Howdy Doody everyone. This month's Squandered Resources article is here. As always feedback is appreciated, especially this month.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/1404-squ...w-friends.html

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Re: [Article] Squandered Resources: Bringing Back the Dead and Making New Friends

Nice to see some1 put some effort in writting articles on budget decks (although honestly most of these won't do any good in real/serious tournament).

Also:
    Wild Growth, Utopia Sprawl, and Abundant Growth give you large mana boosts while also providing one-cost enchantment spells for you to spam for your Enchantress effects
    You do realise Abundant Growth does not give you mana boost?

Re: [Article] Squandered Resources: Bringing Back the Dead and Making New Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Nice to see some1 put some effort in writting articles on budget decks (although honestly most of these won't do any good in real/serious tournament).

Also:

You do realise Abundant Growth does not give you mana boost?
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the decks (except maybe the red control deck) place in a local tournament, which is about what you would hope for using budget decks. Beyond this, many of the decks that I have written about have done much better than this by placing in money at SCG's. A few even making top 8.

Yes, I know Abundant Growth does not give extra mana. For the sake of flow I bulked it in with its cousins during descriptions and explanations. It does help with Sanctum mana though.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

The mono-red Control deck not having Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon in the sideboard suggestions seems...wrong. The decks that truly get annihilated by moon effects don't generally fall prey to Punishing Fire/Grove (some notable exceptions, but it's an insanely powerful tool not to at least suggest people look into).

-1 Slagstorm, +1 Pyroclasm (and run a Slagstorm in the SB)

I'm not sure I'd run Pyromancer; he seems too "cute". Yes, Punishing Fire/Grove and him are buds, but he's got a tiny ass, he dies to your own sweepers, and he's literally the only thing your opponents will be spending their maindeck removal on, so the likelihood of him existing for very long is slim. I'd much rather play something more resilient or something that had immediate board impact.

Quote Originally Posted by evanmartyr View Post
    The mono-red Control deck not having Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon in the sideboard suggestions seems...wrong. The decks that truly get annihilated by moon effects don't generally fall prey to Punishing Fire/Grove (some notable exceptions, but it's an insanely powerful tool not to at least suggest people look into).

-1 Slagstorm, +1 Pyroclasm (and run a Slagstorm in the SB)

I'm not sure I'd run Pyromancer; he seems too "cute". Yes, Punishing Fire/Grove and him are buds, but he's got a tiny ass, he dies to your own sweepers, and he's literally the only thing your opponents will be spending their maindeck removal on, so the likelihood of him existing for very long is slim. I'd much rather play something more resilient or something that had immediate board impact.
    I was afraid of blood moon because of scrying sheets and grove, but maybe you are right. I do enjoy a good punishing fire combo against BUG and their delvers and shamans, But moon just straight up wins the game against them.

I also agree with pyromancer, but I really had a tough time finding anything better. DO you have any ideas? Inferno Titan is a good clock and affects the board, but at a CMC of 6 I don't think he is viable.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Thread Information