Thread: Show and Tell and selection

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Show and Tell and selection

I found this discussion on another Magic site where it has yet to be resolved, even though an L2 Judge has joined in. I tried searching for something similar here, but came up with nothing, so apologies if it has been discussed before.

Situation: You are on Show and Tell and you know from a previous Enlightened Tutor that your opponent has an Oblivion Ring in hand. You want to play Show and Tell and elect to put in "nothing" while Jedi Mind Tricking your opponent into putting in the Oblivion Ring. Is there a legal way to do this? (Assuming that the Show and Tell hand is Show and Tell, Show and Tell, Emrakul and nothing else).

For example, could one put a card face down from my hand and when my opponent does the same thing, just state that I've chosen nothing and put the card back? I guess one could use pieces of paper and write down "nothing", but it's also a huge tell, especially if one has used the face-down card method before.

Apr 2008
    Czech Republic

Re: Show and Tell and selection

You can choose to put "nothing" - that is true
    On BoM2013 the head judge tell us that we can write the card name on a paper instead of just putting the card on the table. I.e. you can write "nothing - not the card, but really nothing" - I recommend to play it in this way always and tell it to all your opponents before the game.

All players have to make a choice before revealing the choices. If you're choosing a card, you're choosing a card - you can't go with "nothing" at that point.

I would recommend writing on a face-down piece of paper as suggested. If you don't want it to be a tell, do your choice by writing every time.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

What would happen if you made a mistake and wrote down a card that isn't actually in your hand? This would be an example of something that couldn't happen if you were just choosing actual cards in your hand and putting them facedown on the table.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    What would happen if you made a mistake and wrote down a card that isn't actually in your hand? This would be an example of something that couldn't happen if you were just choosing actual cards in your hand and putting them facedown on the table.
    Also, if your opponent chooses to put in an illegal card type, will it be considered as a choice of not revealing and putting into play anything? Or can this be corrected to fulfill the card type requirements?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    Call a judge.

@Hopo
    Call a judge.

Illegal choices are illegal choices. That's covered in the IPG same as any other gameplay error.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sorry for necro but didn't want to make a separate thread for same subject. So I understand that if an illegal action happens the game reverts back to just before this action took place. So If opponent dropped in Planeswalker off of S&T does he simply pick up his PW and end up with nothing or does he get to pick it up and choose another card from his hand? Probably after seeing what you chose. Thanks in advance

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post
    Sorry for necro but didn't want to make a separate thread for same subject. So I understand that if an illegal action happens the game reverts back to just before this action took place. So If opponent dropped in Planeswalker off of S&T does he simply pick up his PW and end up with nothing or does he get to pick it up and choose another card from his hand? Probably after seeing what you chose. Thanks in advance
    It is very unlikely a judge would allow a backup to where the erring player got to make a different choice because of the information exchanged

Quote Originally Posted by Annotated IPG
    A good backup will result in a situation where the gained information makes no difference and the line of play remains the same (excepting the error, which has been fixed). This means limiting backups to situations with minimal decision trees.

This is a nice way of saying that the backup was minimally impactful. For example, the Active player casts Terror on a White Knight, and the White Knight is put in the graveyard. In this case a rewind is quick and clean and doesn't impact any decisions. But now lets add to the scenario. Lets say the Active Player cast the terror to remove a blocker and then attacked with his entire team. In this case more decisions have been made. A rewind may be acceptable, but it may alter the attack. Finally, the Active player cast terror on the knight, attacked. The opponent blocked. Combat tricks were used on both sides. In this case, too much information has been revealed. Backing up to the point of error would drastically impact the flow of the turn. The fewer decisions, the more likely a rewind is acceptable.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    It is very unlikely a judge would allow a backup to where the erring player got to make a different choice because of the information exchanged
    The accepted (L3) solution is that the Jace player puts nothing in, and the game moves on.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Apr 2014
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    Situation: You are on Show and Tell and you know from a previous Enlightened Tutor that your opponent has an Oblivion Ring in hand. You want to play Show and Tell and elect to put in "nothing" while Jedi Mind Tricking your opponent into putting in the Oblivion Ring. Is there a legal way to do this? (Assuming that the Show and Tell hand is Show and Tell, Show and Tell, Emrakul and nothing else).
    Would you get a Warning from judge If you chose your another show and tell in hand? And then go "oh , this is illegal target! Damn , cant put in anything!"

Offcourse that would Reveal information but in my opinion it would be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahtii View Post
    Would you get a Warning from judge If you chose your another show and tell in hand? And then go "oh , this is illegal target! Damn , cant put in anything!"

No, you cannot deliberately choose to do somethng illegal. That's Cheating, in fact. You'd be lucky to get off with a warning and not a DQ.
    -David DeLaney

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ahtii View Post

You are saying it would be FAIR to get a free advantage over your opponent. That is the definition of unfair.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    You are saying it would be FAIR to get a free advantage over your opponent. That is the definition of unfair.
    Yeah, the intent seems to be to "trick" the opponent by doing something illegal. But even if there were no potential advantage, you still can't deliberately perform illegal actions. Still Cheating.

If you plan on ever no-choicing while playing Show and Tell, just get in the habit of writing your choice instead of putting cards down.
    -David DeLaney

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I can understand if Show and Tell was written:
    Each player may reveal a card from their hand. If an artifact, creature, enchantment, or land card is revealed this way, put that card onto the battlefield.
    Doesn't seem any more unfair than Oracle, other than more easily facilitating the discussed line of play.

But it's not written that way, so oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information