Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] bUrg Tempo

Re: [Deck] bUrg Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by Sasan View Post
    As a starter it is really hard to figure out when to fetch which land. It needs training. bUrg is a real complex deck. First of all, I would play with two Volcanics as having "real" duals and not only fetches is good for the matchups where Port/Waste can easily cut you off one colour (here red if you only play with Taiga/Volcanic).

The mana base of the deck can be challenge, but I encourage you to play with my blueprint list and keep trying.

Life from the Loam helps versus DnT to protect your mana base.
    Thanks! I really enjoy playing the deck so I will keep trying.. Anyway fetch decisions are much harder then in RUG where you just decide wheather to cast creatures or fire. My mana problems started after sideboard were I had both abrupt decay and fire covenant. All games where my opponent had two wastelands were a disaster :)

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy View Post
    Thanks! I really enjoy playing the deck so I will keep trying.. Anyway fetch decisions are much harder then in RUG where you just decide wheather to cast creatures or fire. My mana problems started after sideboard were I had both abrupt decay and fire covenant. All games where my opponent had two wastelands were a disaster :)
    If you're up against a deck with a better manabase(more lands of less colors) that also packs Wastelands, Deathrite Shaman is key. I would also tend to try and save Stifles for their Waste activations instead of throwing it at the first Fetch I see if I'm not holding a Waste of my own.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I hate this stupid deck. I always get tricked thinking its BUG, then it becomes RUG.

Its hard to sideboard against. I hope you guys die a miserable death to bloodmoon.

A king should never sit easy upon the Iron Throne
    Mar 2008
    Columbia, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    I hate this stupid deck. I always get tricked thinking its BUG, then it becomes RUG.

Its hard to sideboard against. I hope you guys die a miserable death to bloodmoon.
    <3
    Rest in peace, Grandpa Morphling.

Nemeses Slain:4

As I promised I am testing Identity Nemesis like crazy in bUrg and I have made many many tests. As I do not want to make premature suggestions I need more testing sessions - a good test run includes at least 50 matches versus the most relevant decks each. BOM Paris nears and I fear that I do not have time to complete my tests. That is why I need your help. Are there some volunteers, that can help me with the testings? I would send them the deck list and discuss which matchups have to be tested. But I sincerly ask you not to make the deck list public before we have completed our test runs. Deal? :) Then PM me or write in this thread ;-).

Feb 2009
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Sasan View Post
    As I promised I am testing Identity Nemesis like crazy in bUrg and I have made many many tests. As I do not want to make premature suggestions I need more testing sessions - a good test run includes at least 50 matches versus the most relevant decks each. BOM Paris nears and I fear that I do not have time to complete my tests. That is why I need your help. Are there some volunteers, that can help me with the testings? I would send them the deck list and discuss which matchups have to be tested. But I sincerly ask you not to make the deck list public before we have completed our test runs. Deal? :) Then PM me or write in this thread ;-).
    I test almost nightly on Cockatrice with a friend. I've actually played a few games with Pdingo a few weeks back XD Anyway, I can help test against DnT and most of the relevant combo decks (except ANT) as my testing buddy is pretty good with those. Hit me up!

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

@ Sasan
    how works the testing with Nemesis? What do you think? maybe instead of Tarmogoyf? I see him there.

@sherko
    Yes a lot nice games:P
    But have to Play ANT for the BOM instead of bUrg. Lucky that i have to 2 byes:))

@Kobe bryant

We don't die against a blood Moon.. Blood moon is a bad Card against tempo^^

@Pdingo: I cannot say it now as the tests are not completed :-) but I have a clear vision that the deck list will get a revamp ;-)

@ Sherko and Pdingo: I will PM you the new list today and I have also some PMs. We can discuss things private and come up with a final list for all BOM players that want to win the tournament with bUrg.

Played a small tournament yesterday, with 15 or 17 players. Ended up 3-1-1 (4-0 unless I'd ID last match, that I won when we played for fun) so 1-2 place.

Played the list posted in the primer minus 1 FoW and 1 Volcanic, plus 1 Reanimate and 1 fetch.

SB:
    3 Pyroblast
    1 FoW
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Fire Covenant
    1 Golgari Charm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 LftL

I’d a rather good knowledge about what decks that would show up based on the persons at the store, so made some changes to the sb Sasan was kind enough to suggest. Also I forgot some of the cards at home since I was in a hurry.

Game 1 vs RUG Delver: 2-1
    Game 2 vs random crappy UB (he got bye first round): 2-0
    Game 3 vs UB Tezzeret: 2-0
    Game 4 vs UG Infect: 2-1

In retrospect I'm very pleased with the deck! Spontaneously there's nothing I’d change. Maybe the Reanimate isn't good enough in an unknown meta?

Sasan: Pm'd

Quote Originally Posted by gluedstamps View Post
    Played a small tournament yesterday, with 15 or 17 players. Ended up 3-1-1 (4-0 unless I'd ID last match, that I won when we played for fun) so 1-2 place.

Played the list posted in the primer minus 1 FoW and 1 Volcanic, plus 1 Reanimate and 1 fetch.

SB:
    3 Pyroblast
    1 FoW
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Fire Covenant
    1 Golgari Charm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 LftL

I’d a rather good knowledge about what decks that would show up based on the persons at the store, so made some changes to the sb Sasan was kind enough to suggest. Also I forgot some of the cards at home since I was in a hurry.

Game 1 vs RUG Delver: 2-1
    Game 2 vs random crappy UB (he got bye first round): 2-0
    Game 3 vs UB Tezzeret: 2-0
    Game 4 vs UG Infect: 2-1

In retrospect I'm very pleased with the deck! Spontaneously there's nothing I’d change. Maybe the Reanimate isn't good enough in an unknown meta?
    Nice finish :) In an unknown meta the flexible FoW is always better than a Reanimate ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    Sasan: Pm'd
    I answered that and the other ones :D It was nearly an essay I sent to all of you ;-).

Feb 2009
    Philippines

Got back from testing against DnT, I won't leave a lot of details as I pm'd Sasan the bulk. Anyhow, Nemesis proved to be one of the best additions to bUrg VS DnT. It really helps my game plan against them of CONTROL first, then drop a finisher to win it for you.

Interesting. I always play against DnT like an aggro deck. I might be doing it wrong. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sherko7 View Post
    Got back from testing against DnT, I won't leave a lot of details as I pm'd Sasan the bulk. Anyhow, Nemesis proved to be one of the best additions to bUrg VS DnT. It really helps my game plan against them of CONTROL first, then drop a finisher to win it for you.

Well you have to start in aggro mode versus DnT (Delver/Shaman) and then take the disruption/control route and swing after that when they are in topdeck mode with a Goyf. That is my approach to that matchup.

Feb 2009
    Philippines

I pretty much agree on Sasan's game plan. If you're on the play, definitely drop a T1 Delver. On the draw I'd almost always prefer to have Snare/Stifle up just in case they drop Thalia/SFM. The early pressure is useless anyway if they drop SFM. For me, its worth the tradeoff. Due to their strategy (swarm), sometimes Dazing is even more of a setback. My friend would sometimes bait a Daze with Revoker or even SFM if they have multiples in hand, just to drop the Thalia next turn, then Waste the next. That's a hard beating, and is more of a tempo loss for us than them.

It is also worth noting that DRS will almost always not affect their GY. The only card they run that you can use to shoot them is StP, and that StP will almost always be headed for DRS.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

I've been playing various Delver builds and just started with 'BURG'

I played nearly the same MD as Sasan from page 1. I committed the cardinal sin and went to 14 creatures, dropping down to 2 spell snare to add a 3rd Tarmogoyf. Sure lowering the spell count to 28 was risky, but I wasn't disappointed at all.

I went 3-0 and drew my last match at my local Legacy night. I must say I am really impressed with this deck. I had some challenging match ups.

round 1 vs Goblins

game 1, I have early Delver, he has early Thalia. Bolt takes care of Thalia, wastelands slow him down Goyf and Goose block like champs.
    game 2, i face turn 1 Lackey, i play fetch pass. Lackey swings, trigger. Ring leader comes into play. I fetch and stifle the Ring leader. Turn 2 I play Goyf. I ride turn 3 Delver to victory while my ground forces block goblins form attacking. I save stifle for all his card advantage triggers.

round 2 vs Miracles

game 1, i save my counter magic for his counter balances and slow roll my creatures making sure to always have threats. Abrupt decay makes this match so easy.
    game 2, i die to helm rest in peace with my opponent dead on next turn.
    game 3, (I mull to 5) see game 1.

round 3 vs Reanimator

game 1, turn 1 DRS ignites a counter battle. Shaman hits the table, opponent entombs elesh norn, i fight the exhume. I untap and shaman eats norn. Scoops.
    game 2 (we both mull to 5) turn 1 DRS gets dazed, turn 2 graft diggers cage gets dazed (i kept a 1 lander), turn 3 shaman get pithing needled. I pierce a careful study and play goose and shaman #3 and keep swinging to victory while defending position.

round 4 split.
    It was against UWR delver, having played both decks I think BURG has the better plan.

@Sasan: I can help you test. I have a pretty good little group of players that we test regularly with. We have some early testing of 'True Name Nemesis' and the results are good.

Great Finish Unsummon. Always love to hear that tempo players switch to bUrg. I Hope you will now join the discussion in this thread. We are a small group, but the atmosphere is great :)

I pmed you concerning my list.

I am going to take this to a GPT tomorrow since it will be the last time I can play it before the deck most likely changes if the new Merfolk guy is good. I put it down recently to try out ANT only to be disappointed...

Anyways, I'm thinking of a list that is a good bit different from original.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Young Pyromancer
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Stifle
    4 Daze
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightening Bolt
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Badlands
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea

SB:
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Will
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Fire Covenant
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Submerge
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Life from the Loam

I am fully on the Gitaxian Probe band wagon. It allows you to play with perfect information which is critical in the early turns of the game (when to deploy threats, when to sit on stifle).

I currently also have a love for Spell Pierce, it always seems to be good. Moving a Force to the SB was just a concession to wanting to run a 3rd Spell Pierce main and not having enough room. I don't think you lose a lot by making that switch since you mostly want Force against combo decks, and Spell Pierce is good against combo as well. If I was expecting a lot of fast combo I would make the switch to have Force in the main again.

I want to try out Young Pyromancer, I haven't gotten to play with it in a Delver deck yet. The card seems like it should be good, I don't see a reason why it hasn't been more accepted in this deck, though I did read the discussion on it a few pages ago when someone suggested it over Goyf. I know it has found a home in Grixis Delver, but I don't so much like that deck because it has 8 two casting cost creatures, which seems like too much for a delver deck.

I'm not sure if 11 creatures is too little?

The reason I am making it a point to run Grim Lavamancer in the SB is because I fear that it is.

Let me know thoughts, concerns, suggestions.

Thanks!
    Steve

Feb 2009
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by personalbackfire View Post
    I am going to take this to a GPT tomorrow since it will be the last time I can play it before the deck most likely changes if the new Merfolk guy is good. I put it down recently to try out ANT only to be disappointed...

Anyways, I'm thinking of a list that is a good bit different from original.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Young Pyromancer
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Stifle
    4 Daze
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightening Bolt
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Badlands
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea

SB:
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Will
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Fire Covenant
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Submerge
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Life from the Loam

I am fully on the Gitaxian Probe band wagon. It allows you to play with perfect information which is critical in the early turns of the game (when to deploy threats, when to sit on stifle).

I currently also have a love for Spell Pierce, it always seems to be good. Moving a Force to the SB was just a concession to wanting to run a 3rd Spell Pierce main and not having enough room. I don't think you lose a lot by making that switch since you mostly want Force against combo decks, and Spell Pierce is good against combo as well. If I was expecting a lot of fast combo I would make the switch to have Force in the main again.

I want to try out Young Pyromancer, I haven't gotten to play with it in a Delver deck yet. The card seems like it should be good, I don't see a reason why it hasn't been more accepted in this deck, though I did read the discussion on it a few pages ago when someone suggested it over Goyf. I know it has found a home in Grixis Delver, but I don't so much like that deck because it has 8 two casting cost creatures, which seems like too much for a delver deck.

I'm not sure if 11 creatures is too little?

The reason I am making it a point to run Grim Lavamancer in the SB is because I fear that it is.

Let me know thoughts, concerns, suggestions.

Thanks!
    Steve
    A couple of things I think about your list:

1) I tried the 3 Pyromancer path (3 DRS, 4 Delver, 3 Goose, 3 Pyro). It was nice, and DRS made dropping it turn 2 with Pierce mana open very viable. Thing is, the deck really needs a finisher. Sure, Pyro can generate shitloads of tokens and turns your dead Dazes into free 1/1's while making your opponent's spells cost more. But sometimes, due to the reactive nature of our deck, Pyro doesn't really do much when your opponent already has an established board position. That's the main reason why I quit the Pyromancer route.

2) Dark Confidant is Pyro's best friend. That is why the Grixis deck works.

3) I like 2 Probes, 2 Pierce, 2 Snare :P But maybe you're better of with 3 Pierce since you play Pyro.

Just my 2 cents.

Thread Information