Thread: 30th at SCG ATL with 4 Color Loam

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

30th at SCG ATL with 4 Color Loam

Well I'm very excited to bring this report. I have never done better than 4-3 at an open in any format before. I have never even played in every round before Sunday. We get there at 9 o'clock ready to rock. I borrow 40 bucks from a buddy because I'm a broke ass college student and register and write my deck list. I debate for awhile over whether I should play a shattering spree or a Hull Breach in my wish board. I end up choosing Hull Breach because the day before I saw a decent amount of Blood Moons in the challenge on Saturday, and having more ways to kill RIP is always welcome. Then right as they announce players meeting I realize I forgot where I put my decklist so I end up scribbling quickly while they talk about whatever nonsense it is that they talk about. The full list that I played was:

4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Tarmogoyf
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Burning Wish
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Life From the Loam
    2 Sylvan Library
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Devastating Dreams

4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Taiga
    1 Plateau
    1 Bayou
    1 Savannah
    1 Badlands
    4 Wasteland
    1 Nantuko Monastery
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Tranquil Thicket
    2 Forgotten Cave
    1 Basic Forest

Sideboard:
    3 Thalia
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Slaughtergames
    1 Life From the Loam
    1 Dreadbore
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Hull Breach
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 Chainers Edict
    1 Massacre
    1 Devastating Dreams
    1 Perish

Went into round 1 looking to have a good time, focus up and play well, and hopefully have a winning record on the day!

Round 1 UR Delver

Game 1: I remember keeping an awkward hand of like Tranquil Thicket, Karakas and Green sun with some other stuff. Opponent Plays delver off of a basic Island so I put him on either Mono blue tempo or UR delver. I play a thicket and pass. He Blind flips, plays volcanic and ponders and attacks. I green sun for Dryad Arbor and pass. He plays out a Grim Lavamancer and attacks. I PFire the lavamancer and delver ends up with Burn taking me to 6. He gets another lavaman and put me to 4, then 2 after I kill delver. I get a KOTR on board and Devastate his dreams leaving with No lands or dudes and me at 2. after not drawing a land and then me playing chalice he concedes.

Game 2: I kept a REAL loose hand on the draw. 3 Mox Diamond, 3 Lands, 1 KOTR. LOL Ill keep. He plays Volcanic into Delver and passes turn. I draw Wasteland. Please don't have a force. I play 3 Mox Diamonds, Waste his Volcanic to play around Daze, cast KOTR. He's pissed. I pass. Delver blind flips and he hits me for 3 and plays island and ponders. I rip Chalice and play it for 1. He says "Fuck this stupid game" and concedes.

Record 1-0

Round 2 Hypergenesis

Game 1: She opens on a Scalding Tarn and passes. I put her on RUG Delver assuming she is leaving Stifle or Pierce open. Then next turn she plays Volcanic and passes. Now Im just thinking to myself that she is playing Sneak and Show and she is just gonna jam a T3 SnT and hope it is good enough, so I loam back my Maze of ith that I discarded to Mox Diamond and play it. Next Turn she casts Violent outburst I believe. Uh Oh. She puts in Progenitus. I put in Land. She puts in a Hellkite. I put in land. She 5's me with hellkite. I have a Burning wish in hand so I need to rip a land. I dont. She attacks and I maze Hellkite and go to five. She suspends Hyper Genesis. I rip a land, Burning wish for Perish and cast it to kill off Proggy. After a couple of turns she has played a few more lands, so my hope is that her last card in hand is either a blank or like Emrakul that I can Karakas. Long story short, its another Hellkite :(

Game 2: She opens on a T0 Leyline of the Void. Sure thats alot better than me dying. I open on T1 Chalice for 0. I wish for Reverent Silence to get rid of Leyline. At some point she casts a shardless agent and doesnt attempt to cast Hypergenesis. Then next turn casts SnT. I put in KOTR, she puts in Sphinx of the Steel Wind. WTF. I have a maze but I can't really beat it. I end up EoT Decaying her Shardless, then Burning Wish for Chainer's Edict for the SPhinx and she doesnt cast another spell.

Game 3: She opens on Leyline again. Land pass. I Open on Mox Diamond, land instead of a second mox diamond incase I need to tutor with KOTR, chalice for 0, Thalia. I like this start. Im feeling pretty good, battling for 2 every turn. She eventually is able to reach SnT mana thanks to basic lands (LAME). Casts it. She puts in Emrakul. I put in KOTR. I fetch Karakas. She dies to KOTR and Thalia beats for 4.

2-0

Round 3 Mono U Omnitell

Game 1: Very short game. He goes T1 Ponder off of basic Island. I put him on a Miracles deck. I play a Chalice for 1. He goes T2 Sol Land into SnT. Uh Oh. I put in KOTR incase he just has Emrakul or Griselbees. He puts in Omni. Casts ETI. I scoop. Must be Nice!

Game 2: SImilarly short. I get two chalices for 1 out. It doesnt matter. I Burning wish for Slaughtergames. Next Turn cast it naming Cunning Wish. Look at his hand. He has Intuition, emrakul and Omni :( If he just didnt have that emrakul in hand it wouldve been real difficult for him to find it and win. Unfortunately I lose

2-1

I felt bad about losing but that is just not a good match up...

Round 4: Affinity

Game 1: On the play I go Mox Diamond into Chalice for 1. He sighs. He plays Seat of the Synod into Memnite. I lol. I waste him and Loam back waste. Eventually I waste all of his lands and get PFire going. He scoops.

Game 2: He doesnt have anything spectacular. I go Chalice. He ends up getting 2 Master of Etheriums out though and my dumbass has loam going and have a Burning wish in hand. I wish for Dreams and cast it for 2. I forgot that not only do they count themselves, they also pump each other. Doh. I die to Masters...

Game 3: He opens on a Signal Pest. I just begin Loaming. He plays 2 Lifelink guys and passes. I just keep loaming and put out a Maze of Ith. Next turn he plays a memnite. I get a chalice for 1 out. He attacks me a few turns down to 9 and I decay the signal pest. I play 2 KOTR. Then Devastate his dreams for 2. My chalice prevents his dispatch and KOTRs kill him.

3-1

Round 5 Grixis Delver.

Game 1: He plays a delver and it flips and battles a bit and gets me to 7, but Ive wasted him and he doesnt draw any more lands. I get a Maze of Ith off of a KOTR and Get PFire going. He finally hits another land and plays BoB which dies, then He just scoops.

Game 2: He gets a T1 Delver and probes and sees a slow hand. I end up just not getting lands and getting tempo'd out.

Game 3: I open on a Loam. He ponders. I draw a card and play a land. He hits 2 mana. I'm hoping he just has a Bob instead of a Young Pyroman because I figure with bob out my ensuing Chalice for one will totally negate the CA Bob creates. He plays Bob. WHew. I play chalice around Pierce and Daze and it resolves. He flips a lot of 1 drops and I maze him. He finally flips a FoW off of Bob putting him to 2 life and I have PFires going to finish him.

4-1

Round 6 Tin Fins.

Game 1: Im on the draw and forget my keep. He goes Scrubland into Probe. I'm like "Oh no not Tin Fins". He says "how does everyone know?!" Non blue land into probe is kind of a tell tale lol. Anyway he burns some petals Brainstorming and pondering so I figure his hand is sketchy. I end up just playing Goof and battling for 5. When He runs a children of Korlis out to block I know its over. I wish for Slaughter games and Name Griselbrand anyway just to ensure I dont just die.

Game 2: I keep a sketchy 6 of Mox Diamond, Plateau, Thalia and some irrelevant spells. Get there! He mulls to 5 so I figure that I have time. He probes and sees whats up and Therapies Thalia. Damn. I play Plateau (incase I need to use KOTR at some point) and pass. We play cripple magic with 1 land and keep passing. Eventually I draw a chalice and play it for 1 once I rip another land. Then I play a Thalia next turn and the beats begin. I knock him down to 11 and he finally just scoops. Nice guy though. Says it is his first Legacy event. Not bad for being 4-1 going into the round.

5-1

Round 7 Goblins. This match was one of the most frustrating ordeals ever.

Game 1: He battles me to 4, but I get PFire going, I have chalice on 1 so he can't tarfire me to death and I have KOTR and Sylvan Library on board. The issue? Off of a Library I see a Slaughtergames. God Dammit. I show it to him and just concede the game. That frustrated me. Some people said that they would have hidden it and just shuffled it away or something. I dont know. I felt this moral need to do it. My opponent comments that it is not really how he wanted to win and that it takes allot to call that on yourself. I feel bad because I feel like I came off as a bit angry, which I definitely was, but I mean it isnt like it was his fault I'm a dumbass.

Game 2: I refocus myself on winning anyway. I was late to a game at the last SCG, got a game loss and proceeded to destroy an elves player anyway so thats the plan. He keeps on whacking me down a few points at a time. He has a Vial at 3 and one at 2. Puts in a Goblin Matron getting Krenko. So I decay the one at 3 to delay him a turn so I can get loam going. He finally gets it out and makes some dudes and battles me to 6 even though I have a KOTR out. I wish for dreams and I Devastate him.

Game 3: He gets a Thalia out which slows me down, but he doesn't really pressure me too hand so I PFire her and start loaming and setting up. Het gets a board presence and a bunch of lands and I Devastate his dreams. Unfortunately he rips a second land and RIP. I Cry. I get 2 KOTRs out but library doesnt find me any decay or anything. He eventually just keeps ripping lands and kills me with 2/2's :(

5-2

Unfortunately this destroyed my chance at top 8. Allot of people said they would have hidden the Slaughtergames and just won the game and then gone on with it. Wouldve put me to 6-1 still in contention. I just wouldn't have felt right about it. Maybe I'm wrong. I dont know.

Round 8 RUG Delver

Game 1: He opens on a Flooded Strand. I know the guy and last time I played him he was on RIP Miracles so that's what I put him on. I play a fetch and pass. He plays Delta, cracks it for a Volcanic and plays Delver. Damn. I got got. I attempt to crack a fetch and it gets stifled. Yuck. I end up getting tempo'd out and I attempt a Devastating dreams as a hail mary and it gets forced.

Game 2: Im tilted a bit after that and try my hardest to stay in it. He gets a board presence of Mongoose and 2 Goyf before I finally get chalice for 1. Still Im not doing so hot even with a Maze in play. He wastes maze. and plays a Goyf. I'm dead. 3 Goyfs and a Goose? Yeah Im screwed. I loam back maze, green sun for my own Goyf, and pass with 2 PFire in hand. Feeling a bit better but I need to get a bit lucky. He battles me. I block Goose, maze a Goyf and go to 6. Next Turn he attacks. I block goyf, maze a Goyf and Pfire the blocked one killing it and it puts me to 1 life. He wastes my maze after a turn of not doing anything and attacks. Luckily I ripped a Decay off the top. I block Goyf, Pfire it and Decay the other one. Im such a sack. I battle with goyf until I win.

Game 3: This one goes long. He gets an early delver and I have loam going. I play maze but forget to use it and delver gets me to 17. I take a deep breath and start dredging. My dredges this game SUCK. I dredged almost no lands, a lot of Chalices and a lot of KOTRs. He starts wasting and stifling my maze to force damage through with Delver and he hits me down to 5. I end up finally burning wish for Dreadbore to kill it off. Then He plays a Goose. I play Burning wish for Chainers Edict to kill it. He plays Goyf and I decay it. At some point he ripping nothing and I am battling with my Dryad Arbor to get him. I knock hiim all the way down to 11 with that guy. He gets 2 Mongeese down. I have to flashback chainers edict to kill one, then chump and dredge and loam back to chump again with Dryad Arbor because I dont want to go down to 3 life or less. I eventually find Goyf which is a 5/6 at this point. I leave Arbor and a Gaddock Teeg on defense and attack with Goyf. He blocks. I battle him to 1 and he has a delver. His out is to flip delver and then bolt me. I realize it after the attack and cast a devastating dreams for 1 to kill it off. Goyf gets there. YES!

6-2

Round 9: I sit down at table 18 ranked 34th and my opponent says we should just ID and just take the sure money. I'm fine with that. He says as we take the slip up that there is a very real chance that since everyone around us is playing that we may sneak into top 32. I wait the round out, my friends congratulating me on doing well and check out the standings. 30th! Woot! I'll take that 100 bucks! I was pretty damn stoked that I did well, I paid my friend who lent me the money to play in the first place, and got to walk with a profit!

6-2-1

All in all it was a great day. I focused more than ever on making the correct plays, I was patient vs the delver decks and didnt panic when I was at single digit life totals and made sure to play around things. I forever will think about what I should have done in that goblins match, but overall I'm still happy to do well. And just to think, a week ago I was so down on going 2-2 for a month at my store that I was debating just trading into Modern because I'm actually good when I play in that format. It is unfortunate that I don't get any bigger tournies in the area for awhile, but I am happy as is right now! I hope you guys enjoy reading and if you have any questions about anything just let me know!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Re: 30th at SCG ATL with 4 Color Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Delver blind flips and he hits me for 3 and plays island and ponders. I rip Chalice and play it for 1. He says "Fuck this stupid game" and concedes.
    Hahahaha blind flips delver. Rage quits on chalice. I love it.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

That goblins match was rough, I think you made the right choice - but it certainly hurt.
    Slaughter Game came up in multiple matches, that's pretty sweet.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Congrats on your finish!

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

I commend you on doing the right thing and showing the Slaughter games. It must have been tough, with a match riding on it, but it shows character that you took the hit anyway.

Props on being honest with the slaughter games.

Great read and great showing Megadeus! Good to see that you're getting the hang of the deck.

Game 2: I kept a REAL loose hand on the draw. 3 Mox Diamond, 3 Lands, 1 KOTR. LOL Ill keep. He plays Volcanic into Delver and passes turn. I draw Wasteland. Please don't have a force. I play 3 Mox Diamonds, Waste his Volcanic to play around Daze, cast KOTR. He's pissed. I pass. Delver blind flips and he hits me for 3 and plays island and ponders. I rip Chalice and play it for 1. He says "Fuck this stupid game" and concedes.
    Just want to make sure that everyone remembers, if you waste their land and they float mana or whatever, you can move into 2nd main phase to clear the mana pool, then cast the spell. I made that dumbass mistake recently and got my fetchland Stifled on the floated mana.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by civet five View Post
    Great read and great showing Megadeus! Good to see that you're getting the hang of the deck.

Just want to make sure that everyone remembers, if you waste their land and they float mana or whatever, you can move into 2nd main phase to clear the mana pool, then cast the spell. I made that dumbass mistake recently and got my fetchland Stifled on the floated mana.
    Thanks! And yes. He was tapped out from the delver on that play.

Also to those who say it was the right thing,I agree. It's just horribly frustrating to blow your top eight chance like that...
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Congrats man! Great report. You deserve this win, you've been working really hard at it. Keep it up and maybe you will get a top 16 or top 8 next time :)

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It never happened to me when I played TES. I just overlooked it because I pay a teeg main and side, so when I looked at my board I didn't see a card that didn't belong :/

Like I said,I feel bad because I'm sure I seemed mad when I said good game afterwards to him. I wasn't mad at him because it's not like it was his fault. I was just mad at myself for making such a fatal mistake. I wonder what I would've done had I won the game, THEN saw the slaughter games. I'm honestly not sure if I would've said anything.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    It never happened to me when I played TES. I just overlooked it because I pay a teeg main and side, so when I looked at my board I didn't see a card that didn't belong :/

Like I said,I feel bad because I'm sure I seemed mad when I said good game afterwards to him. I wasn't mad at him because it's not like it was his fault. I was just mad at myself for making such a fatal mistake. I wonder what I would've done had I won the game, THEN saw the slaughter games. I'm honestly not sure if I would've said anything.
    It's those sort of questions that can eat you alive. With TinFins, I once Thoughseized a man with Leyline of Sanctity thinking that it was Runed Halo Tendrils of Agony, then proceeded to go infinite, bounce the Leyline, and win. Neither of us realized until I wrote my report (somewhere on the Tournament Reports thread). It feels bad, but everyone here including me is going to give you mad respect for calling yourself on it. Being an honest person has its own benefits. Thank you.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Thread Information