Thread: Storming to Philadelphia (9/8/2013) – 5th Place

Storming to Philadelphia (9/8/2013) – 5th Place

For the last few large events I've gone to, mainly Star City Games events, I've been avoiding my classic Tendrils of Agony play mat for two reasons. The first reason being that it directly telegraphs what I'm playing for those who don't know. Although, I'll admit, it's becoming slightly less relevant as my success as grown on the Star City circuit. The second reason being that the play mat is as old as the time I've played TES. It's splitting apart and quite faded, seven years will do that. Two weeks ago I began to scour the internet looking for a new piece of fabric to lay my cards on, when I stumbled upon this:

I've been reading a lot of Batman/Justice League/Major DC Events in trade paperback form over the last six months to a year along with various other things. But Batman is the main hero I read for the most part. When I found this on Ebay I knew I was going to end up buying it. I spent the two weeks in between Baltimore and Philly checking my mailbox daily expecting to see my new mat in the mail. No dice.

I leave work at 5:30pm on Friday, rush home, check the mail and there it is! I collect my belongings and throw them in Brian Coghlan's SUV. The car leaving Syracuse consisted of myself, Si Ning Li, Nick Patnode and Brian all piloting the same exact seventy-five cards. It was glorious, although, we did miss Royce Walter on this trip. I felt bad for Brian. I didn't want to tell him how miserable it would be to play TES in an event for the first time with next to no practice or experience. Brian didn't take the time to read the TES opening post before the weekend either. He made a decision on the way back from Baltimore to piece together storm for Philly, I just wish he had done some homework in the weeks in between the events. I felt very confident for the other three stormtroopers in the car.

The ride down felt extremely long for some odd reason, I couldn't explain why either, it's closer than Baltimore. It was likely the Moe's burrito I had brewing in my stomach from lunch, but I wanted to be there already. When we arrived in the city of bro-love, all of our phones couldn't find the hotel. It was listed on a street that didn't even look like a hotel would be on, it turns out streets there continue over the river. Weird. When we find the hotel, Brian and I go to check in, but it turns out it's not even the right hotel. Thanks Brian. Luckily, the hotel we were actually staying at was extremely nice compared to the sketchy place we just left.

We settle in, play some EDH and crash for the night. In the morning we get ready and walk next door to the convention center. It's probably one of the largest convention centers that I've been to. We walk in, register for the Standard open and fill out deck lists when Adam VanFleet walks in. I had talked to him at our local Thursday night Legacy and it didn't appear like he was going to end up making the trip, but he's pretty glad he did. I began the Standard open 2-0, then 0-2, followed by 1-2 drop. I decided against the Legacy Challenge due to how they restructured it to be free entry into the Legacy Open if you 4-0. It's kind of weak. Instead I watch Adam and Nick as they're both 6-0. In between rounds, Nick brought me to the Market located on the side of the building. I ended up having one of the best Buffalo chicken sandwiches of my life. You know, I wouldn't hate Philly so much if the Eagles and the Phillies weren't there. For those of you who don't know, I'm a Giants and Mets fan.

Philadelphia is the absolute worst. Besides their market, that place was incredible.

The next few rounds didn't go well for Nick Patnode as he lost two win-and-in rounds in a row, then won his final round to end up in 9th place. Rough beats man, still a decent finish, but certainly not ideal. Things went differently for our friend Adam, he decided to draw his final two rounds into top 8 bringing him into the 7th seed of top 8. We went out searching for a liquor store and food, we only found a Chili's that was open. To be perfectly honest, we weren't looking that hard. I would've rather of eaten somewhere else, but it'll do.

The next day, we woke up pretty early to watch Adam in the top 4 and then the finals. Bringing a trophy back home to Syracuse! Before we knew it, the Legacy open had begun.

The EPIC Storm
    By Bryant Cook

4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Bloodstained Mire

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Silence
    2 Duress
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Ad Nauseam

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Diminishing Returns

Round One: Zach with TES

"Oh great, I would play you round one. How awkward! Ugh." It all made sense immediately.

Game One: Zach wins the die roll and begins the round off with a Gemstone Mine into Gitaxian Probe. My suspicions were confirmed. My hand was Lotus Petal, Gemstone Mine, Silence, Ad Nauseam, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish and Dark Ritual. Zach passes the turn after a peek. I draw Brainstorm, play Gemstone Mine and Lotus Petal before passing back. Zach casts a Ponder off of his Gemstone Mine, finding what appears to be his land drop – a City of Brass. I draw for turn, it's once again not the mana I'm looking for. I cast the Brainstorm into… Burning Wish, Burning Wish and Infernal Tutor. Definitely not the way I wanted to start the day. Put back Ad Nauseam and Dark Ritual. Zach untaps and lays Duress, I Silence in response. Zach would then go onto cast Ad Nauseam from his hand on his next turn with five Ritual effects.

Sideboarding: -1 Empty the Warrens, +1 Cabal Therapy

Game Two: I begin with Lion's Eye Diamond and City of Brass. Holding up Brainstorm and Silence. Zach draws and then plays a Lion's Eye Diamond without a land motions for me to take my turn. I fall to 19 and Brainstorm on his end step. I untap, lay a Gemstone Mine and Ponder. Preparing for a turn three win. Pass. Zach draws Flooded Strand and searches for Volcanic Island, he taps it to cast Ponder. Passes. I untap, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor (Break Lion's Eye Diamomd) and Ad Nauseam.

Game Three: "Gemstone Mine, go" is how the third game is begun. My turn is Gitaxian Probe, Lion's Eye Diamond, Scalding Tarn for Underground Sea and Ponder. Zach draws, lays a land and plays Cabal Therapy naming something I don't have in my hand. I untap, draw, lay a Gemstone Mine. Gitaxian Probe, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Burning Wish for Ill-Gotten Gains sacrificing both Lion's Eye Diamonds in response. Ill-Gotten Gains returns the pair of Lion's Eye Diamond and a discarded Burning Wish. Lay the pair of Diamonds, Burning Wish for Tendrils of Agony and cast it.

1-0

Round Two: Shawn with Reanimator

Shawn makes it known that he knows what I'm playing and snap kept his opening hand.

Game One: Shawn wins the die roll and starts with Swamp, Thoughtseize. Shawn discards a Lion's Eye Diamond. I untap, search for Underground Sea and Duress taking Shawn's Careful Study. I play a Lotus Petal before passing the turn. He draws, lays Lotus Petal and casts Brainstorm off of it. Taps his Swamp to Entomb. Lays a Polluted Delta and cracks it. I Silence in response, he Forces leaving himself with not much in hand. Except! Reanimate. Griselbrand is in play.

Sideboarding: -1 Empty the Warrens, -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Silence, +2 Xantid Swarm, +1 Cabal Therapy

Game Two: I mulligan to five on the play and keep Lotus Petal, Underground Sea, Duress, Infernal Tutor and Infernal Tutor. I get ran over.

1-1

Round Three: Brian with Shardless BUG

Game One: Bayou into Deathrite Shaman is how the third round starts. My turn is another option Shardless BUG has. Underground Sea and cast Ponder. Brian untaps and lays a Thoughtseize, depriving me of a Dark Ritual. I draw Gitaxian Probe into the Brainstorm on my second turn stacked there from the Ponder. I cast Brainstorm drawing the Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal and Empty the Warrens! Put back two tutor effects. Activate Misty Rainforest searching up Underground Sea. Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Chrome Mox and finally play Empty the Warrens. Brian attempts to find his Maelstrom Pulse.

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, +1 Cabal Therapy

Game Two: Brian begins with a his classic fetchlaand, Bayou into Deathrite Shaman. I draw and lay a Gitaxian Probe before anything else, it reveals: Brainstorm, a couple of Ancestral Visions, Nihil Spellbomb and a Creeping Tar Pit. I take Breakstorm. Brian untaps, lays Tarpit, plays Spell Bomb and passes. I draw, lay a land and cast Silence. Resolves. Chrome Mox (Imprint Infernal Tutor), Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor into Ad Nauseam.

2-1

Round Four: Gonzolo with Shardless BUG (Off Camera Feature Match)

Game One: Gonzolo like Brian was a big fan of the turn one Bayou into Deathrite Shaman. I played a Ponder and shuffled. Gonzolo Wastelands my land and follows up with a Hymn to Tourach. Luckily, I kept a three-land hand. I draw and lay a land. Gonzolo on his turn plays a Tarmogoyf. I draw Brainstorm, lay a land and Infernal Tutor for a second Dark Ritual since I still had another Tutor in my hand. Gonzolo attacks and passes. I draw and Brainstorm into Empty the Warrens. Before Gonzolo realizes it, there are fourteen Goblins on the table. He attempts to find a way to grind me out with Shaman and attacking with Tarmogoyf after I swung at him but he comes up short.

Game Two: Gonzolo mulligans. Polluted Delta into Underground Sea and Deathrite Shaman. I cantrip hoping to find a Lion's Eye Diamond to help me as my hand is a little clogged up. Shuffle and draw a land, pass. Gonzolo removes his land and plays Hymn to Tourach. He hits Rite of Flame and Burning Wish. I untap and draw Duress, cast it and discard his last piece of business that isn't Chill or costs three or greater. He plays Chill on his turn and passes. I am now able to get hellbent thanks to a Chrome Mox off the top without Lion's Eye Diamond or red cards. Cast Ad Nauseam.

3-1

Round Five: Ross with Elves

Ross wins the award for best opponent of the weekend, while shuffling we talked about predictions of that night's Breaking Bad and Dexter. Before we knew it, we had lost almost five minutes of our round. Fortunately, it was a quick round!

Game One: Ross like every other opponent of the last few rounds by beginning with Bayou into Deathrite Shaman. My turn one was a bit more exciting. Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lion's Eye diamond, Infernal tutor into Ad Nauseam. I go to Gitaxian Probe Ross and he concedes. Smart man.

Sideboarding: None

Game Two: Ross searches for a Bayou with a Verdant and casts Cabal Therapy naming Lion's Eye Diamond and misses. I draw, Underground Sea and Gitaxian Probe, Ross reveals his hand and I for some reason was shocked to see he was playing Elves. I then went on to cast Lotus Petal, Gitaxian Probe, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor (reveal Rite of Flame), Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, and Empty the Warrens for 16 Goblins. Ross concedes instantly.

4-1

Round Six: Chris with UR Delver

Chris is a younger kid who is a bit fidgety, he shuffled in such a way that his cards arched pretty highly when he riffled sideways. Paired with the fact that his grey Dragonshield's were extremely reflective I knew he was on something blue and red.

Game One: I win the die roll and keep a pretty incredible opening hand, it went as follows. Gemstone Mine, Gitaxian Probe revealing: Volcanic Island, Arid Mesa, Snapcaster Mage, Brainstorm, Daze and Proce of Progress. I then cast a Lotus Petal followed by a second, a pair of Rite of Flame and Burning Wish. Retrieve Empty the Warrens and cast it for 14 goblins. Chris just starts shuffling.

Game Two: Chris begins the second game with a first turn Volcanic Island into a Delver of Secrets. My turn is less exciting this time with only a Gemstone Mine. Chris plays another land and a Goblin Guide, a few turns pass as my life total is knocked to eight while I wait for some business with a hand of mana and protection. Goblin Guide then reveals Infernal Tutor. I draw and then cast Duress. Chris plays Daze, I pay. It resolves. I look at Spell Snare, Spell Pierce, Lightning Bolt and a couple of lands. I look down and Chris only has one blue available. This will be easy, take Spell Pierce. Cast Silence, I take a Lightning Bolt to the face. Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor (Reveal Lion's Eye Diamond, play the pair of Diamonds, Burning Wish, Ill-Gotten Gains, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish and Tendrils of Agony.

5-1

Round Seven: Morgan with Elves

Game One: I begin the round with a Gitaxian Probe fully aware of what I was going to see in Morgan's hand, a bunch of Elves! Lay a Gemstone Mine and pass. Morgan plays a mana elf and ends his turn with "Am I dead yet?" my response, "Probably, let's see." Dark Ritual, Chrome Mox (Imprint Burning Wish), Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor and Ad Nauseam.

Sideboarding: -1 Empty the Warrens, -1 Duress, -4 Silence, +2 Abrupt Decay, +2 Chain of Vapor, +2 Cabal Therapy

Game Two: Morgan once again has a turn one mana creature. I Ponder setting up a turn two win with a Chain of Vapor as long as I don't see a Cabal Therapy on Morgan's turn. I ask him if he has the Green Sun Zenith, "Actually, I just drew it." Gaddock Teeg is in play. I happily untap and bounce the nuisance. Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor and Ad Nauseam.

6-1

Round Eight: Josh with Reanimator (Off Camera Feature Match)

Game One: Josh has a second turn Entomb for Iona and Exhume after a first turn Thoughtseize. Josh names Black instead of Red, which is a mistake. If he had named red I would've scooped instantly. I cast Probe targeting Josh on my turn and see a Griselbrand in his hand, which is why he didn't search for Griselbrand with Entomb. I spend the next two turns sculpting a hand while and am forced to take action at eight life. My game plan is to make a lethal amount of Goblins after casting Past in Flames, pass, go to one and swing for lethal. Which means not losing any life. I play out all of my rituals and Lion's Eye Diamond, Burning Wish for Past in Flames. Cast it, replay Rituals and have RRRRUUU floating. I have two Ponder, Brainstorm and a Gitaxian Probe for business spells. If I find Burning Wish on the first Cantrip Burning Wish will do because I can find Empty the Warrens. Ponder doesn't find either Wish or Warrens, shuffle and draw Rite of Flame. Ponder, shuffle, draw Chrome Mox. Cast Brainstorm, at this point it has to find just Warrens or I lose. Alternatively, it could find Burning Wish for Grapeshot to kill Iona. Neither happen.

Sideboarding: -1 Empty the Warrens, -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Silence, +2 Xantid Swarm, +1 Chain of Vapor, +1 Cabal Ritual

Because of the fact that Josh retrieved Iona with Entomb, I decided to side in one Chain of Vapor on the off chance that I have the out if it happens again.

Game Two: Josh mulligans, I play Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor and Ad Nauseam.

Game Three: Josh Thoughtseizes me, I Duress him and lay Lion's Eye Diamond. He's set up for a turn three Exhume. He plays a land and passes. I draw Cabal Therapy and cast it, Josh uses his Spell Pierce, I have Silence for his upkeep but Josh still has a Force of Will and a blue card. I pass. Josh Entombs for Griselbrand. I Silence and I was shocked when Josh let it resolve. I draw and Burning Wish for the other Therapy to discard his Exhume, Josh was playing pretty conservatively. He draws and passes. I draw Xantid Swarm and play it, Josh thinks for a minute but decides to Force of Will. He then draws Exhume. Xantid Swarm and Griselbrand are in play. Josh draws fourteen cards, plays two Lotus Petal and then casts Echoing Truth on Xantid Swarm. This leaves Josh at three. I untap and draw. Rite of Flame and "Burning Wish?" I ask in such a defeated way as if it couldn't get anything relevant and that I've lost. My heart is beating incredibly fast at this point - I'm sweating. "Passing Priority?" Yes. "Sure". Chrome Mox (Remove Xantid Swarm), tap two lands and…

Grapeshot.

8-0

Round Nine: Ben with UWr Delver (On Camera Feature Match)

Video Coverage

9-1

Quarterfinals: Jim Davis with Goblins (Off Camera Feature Match)

Written Coverage

9-2

In hindsight, my opening hand in the third game was probably a mulligan: Gemstone Mine, Underground Sea, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Cabal Therapy and Chain of Vapor. After losing game two to Thalia and Mindbreak Trap that opening hand was rather enticing. The fact that it answered Jim's best two cards against me made it extremely appealing. Looking back, I think I should've been a little more disciplined with my mulligans like Jim was as he shuffled down to four.

I'm still happy with my performance, my third open top 8 of the year with TES. Could've been four if things went differently in Baltimore. Either way, the weekend was a good showing. Once again, I'd like to congratulate my good friend Adam VanFleet on his Standard Open victory.

Some thoughts on the weekend, I never wanted the third Abrupt Decay and the Ill-Gotten Gains is easily the weakest card in the sideboard. Even when I used it twice, I could've had a different line that would've likely won without it. Both of these cards are on the chopping block, Nick, Ning, Royce and I are currently discussing options for the two available sideboard slots. Once there's something more concrete that we agree on, one of us will share. We have some thoughts, but would prefer to do some testing in the mean time.

Until then, keep storming!

Bryant Cook

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Storming to Philadelphia (9/8/2013) – 5th Place

Always worth the read, congrats!
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Thanks for the report! In the Round 8 Game 2, did you just throw your hand against his hoping he didn't have a Force after a mull?

P.S. Recommend JLA - Tower of Babel if you haven't read it. Great Batman story!

Quote Originally Posted by davelin View Post
    Thanks for the report! In the Round 8 Game 2, did you just throw your hand against his hoping he didn't have a Force after a mull?

P.S. Recommend JLA - Tower of Babel if you haven't read it. Great Batman story!
    Yes. It's apart of playing combo.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Congrats again, Bryant.

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Game Two: I begin with Lion's Eye Diamond and City of Brass. Holding up Brainstorm and Silence. Zach draws and then plays a Lion's Eye Diamond without a land motions for me to take my turn. I fall to 19 and Brainstorm on his end step. I untap, lay a Gemstone Mine and Ponder. Preparing for a turn three win. Pass. Zach draws Flooded Strand and searches for Volcanic Island, he taps it to cast Ponder**. Passes. I untap, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor (Break Lion's Eye Diamomd) and Ad Nauseam.
    ** Why not play silence in response to ponder so he can't play petal in case he draws it? You'd have fallen to 18, but you'd have sealed it no matter what.
    miLLe!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by [reptiLe] View Post
    ** Why not play silence in response to ponder so he can't play petal in case he draws it? You'd have fallen to 18, but you'd have sealed it no matter what.
    Not completely sure to be honest. That's a tight line of play.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Well you could just Silence in response if he plays something afterwards that makes you feel threatened. If he lays a land after the Ponder he could be holding Silence himself and attempt to haymaker you during the Combo turn. I see nothing wrong with letting him Ponder away here, and saving the Silence to avoid a blowout.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Well you could just Silence in response if he plays something afterwards that makes you feel threatened. If he lays a land after the Ponder he could be holding Silence himself and attempt to haymaker you during the Combo turn. I see nothing wrong with letting him Ponder away here, and saving the Silence to avoid a blowout.
    He already laid a land for the turn. If Bryant doesn't Silence in response to Ponder, he'll lose the chance to "protect" himself during the next combo turn.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Wow I can't read apparently, but he could still Silence in response to a Lotus Petal or whatever, it wouldn't protect him from an opposing Silence though but he still got there.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Wow I can't read apparently, but he could still Silence in response to a Lotus Petal or whatever, it wouldn't protect him from an opposing Silence though but he still got there.
    Playing the Silence in response to the ponder does seal the deal. No lands could be played and no mana sources could have been laid down meaning no available mana for the opponent during Bryant's turn. "Saving it" to avoid a blowout wouldn't apply even if the opponent had a silence.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    Playing the Silence in response to the ponder does seal the deal. No lands could be played and no mana sources could have been laid down meaning no available mana for the opponent during Bryant's turn. "Saving it" to avoid a blowout wouldn't apply even if the opponent had a silence.
    Silence doesn't stop you from playing lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    No one said it could.

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    He had already made his land drop, Silencing him would've stopped a potential White mana source from Lotus Petal or Chrome Mox.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Batman: The Long Halloween is an excellent read.

Congratulations, Bryant. I was seated between you and Jim Davis in Round 2. I was tempted to say hello as a fellow Sourcer, but didn't want to seem like a fanboy. If I wasn't so nervous being in my first Open and making sure I didn't have to piss during rounds, I would have taken some time to watch your games and see you Grapeshot people to death. Hopefully I will see some of that in SCG Providence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Batman: The Long Halloween is an excellent read.

Congratulations, Bryant. I was seated between you and Jim Davis in Round 2. I was tempted to say hello as a fellow Sourcer, but didn't want to seem like a fanboy. If I wasn't so nervous being in my first Open and making sure I didn't have to piss during rounds, I would have taken some time to watch your games and see you Grapeshot people to death. Hopefully I will see some of that in SCG Providence.
    The Tim Sale/Jeff Loeb trilogy of Batman is next on my list after I finish the fourth Batman & Robin book (Originally the Grant Morrison series).

How fortunate for you to get to see me get my teeth kicked in by Reanimator.

Thread Information