Thread: Storming to Philadelphia (9/8/2013) – 5th Place

Bryant Cook

Storming to Philadelphia (9/8/2013) – 5th Place

Last edited by Bryant Cook; 11-04-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Storming to Philadelphia (9/8/2013) – 5th Place

Always worth the read, congrats!
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Thanks for the report! In the Round 8 Game 2, did you just throw your hand against his hoping he didn't have a Force after a mull?

P.S. Recommend JLA - Tower of Babel if you haven't read it. Great Batman story!

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by davelin View Post
    Thanks for the report! In the Round 8 Game 2, did you just throw your hand against his hoping he didn't have a Force after a mull?

P.S. Recommend JLA - Tower of Babel if you haven't read it. Great Batman story!
    Yes. It's apart of playing combo.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Congrats again, Bryant.

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Game Two: I begin with Lion's Eye Diamond and City of Brass. Holding up Brainstorm and Silence. Zach draws and then plays a Lion's Eye Diamond without a land motions for me to take my turn. I fall to 19 and Brainstorm on his end step. I untap, lay a Gemstone Mine and Ponder. Preparing for a turn three win. Pass. Zach draws Flooded Strand and searches for Volcanic Island, he taps it to cast Ponder**. Passes. I untap, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor (Break Lion's Eye Diamomd) and Ad Nauseam.
    ** Why not play silence in response to ponder so he can't play petal in case he draws it? You'd have fallen to 18, but you'd have sealed it no matter what.
    miLLe!!!!!

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by [reptiLe] View Post
    ** Why not play silence in response to ponder so he can't play petal in case he draws it? You'd have fallen to 18, but you'd have sealed it no matter what.
    Not completely sure to be honest. That's a tight line of play.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Well you could just Silence in response if he plays something afterwards that makes you feel threatened. If he lays a land after the Ponder he could be holding Silence himself and attempt to haymaker you during the Combo turn. I see nothing wrong with letting him Ponder away here, and saving the Silence to avoid a blowout.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Well you could just Silence in response if he plays something afterwards that makes you feel threatened. If he lays a land after the Ponder he could be holding Silence himself and attempt to haymaker you during the Combo turn. I see nothing wrong with letting him Ponder away here, and saving the Silence to avoid a blowout.
    He already laid a land for the turn. If Bryant doesn't Silence in response to Ponder, he'll lose the chance to "protect" himself during the next combo turn.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Wow I can't read apparently, but he could still Silence in response to a Lotus Petal or whatever, it wouldn't protect him from an opposing Silence though but he still got there.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Wow I can't read apparently, but he could still Silence in response to a Lotus Petal or whatever, it wouldn't protect him from an opposing Silence though but he still got there.
    Playing the Silence in response to the ponder does seal the deal. No lands could be played and no mana sources could have been laid down meaning no available mana for the opponent during Bryant's turn. "Saving it" to avoid a blowout wouldn't apply even if the opponent had a silence.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    Playing the Silence in response to the ponder does seal the deal. No lands could be played and no mana sources could have been laid down meaning no available mana for the opponent during Bryant's turn. "Saving it" to avoid a blowout wouldn't apply even if the opponent had a silence.
    Silence doesn't stop you from playing lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    No one said it could.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    He had already made his land drop, Silencing him would've stopped a potential White mana source from Lotus Petal or Chrome Mox.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Batman: The Long Halloween is an excellent read.

Congratulations, Bryant. I was seated between you and Jim Davis in Round 2. I was tempted to say hello as a fellow Sourcer, but didn't want to seem like a fanboy. If I wasn't so nervous being in my first Open and making sure I didn't have to piss during rounds, I would have taken some time to watch your games and see you Grapeshot people to death. Hopefully I will see some of that in SCG Providence.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Batman: The Long Halloween is an excellent read.

Congratulations, Bryant. I was seated between you and Jim Davis in Round 2. I was tempted to say hello as a fellow Sourcer, but didn't want to seem like a fanboy. If I wasn't so nervous being in my first Open and making sure I didn't have to piss during rounds, I would have taken some time to watch your games and see you Grapeshot people to death. Hopefully I will see some of that in SCG Providence.
    The Tim Sale/Jeff Loeb trilogy of Batman is next on my list after I finish the fourth Batman & Robin book (Originally the Grant Morrison series).

How fortunate for you to get to see me get my teeth kicked in by Reanimator.

Thread Information