Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Donate Button + Source Playmat / T-Shirt Discussion

Hybrid View

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Donate Button + Source Playmat / T-Shirt Discussion

Hey all, you may have noticed the Donate button in the upper right hand corner of the site. I wanted to provide an explanation so its sudden appearance isn't a complete mystery:

After the problems we were having the month before last with a large number of users getting constant 403 errors when trying to access the site, we determined that our site's usage had vastly outgrown the shared server where it's been hosted since its inception. I opted to move the site to its own private Rackspace server, which allows us to more easily address problems with the site when they arise, and gives us the ability to expand the server's capacity as the site continues to grow in popularity.

The downside is that it costs more money. The monthly fee for hosting used to be $15 per month, and the new cost is somewhere between $45 and $50 per month, depending on bandwidth usage.

Since 2003, I've paid to keep the site up and running out of pocket, to the tune of a few hundred dollars per year. I opted to do this because I and the other admins have always agreed we want to keep the site ad-free so The Source and its community are able to maintain their independent spirit.

Insofar as it's possible, we intend to continue an ad-free policy. That said, in the 10 years since the site was created, I've gotten married, bought a house, and had a kid. Long story short, my disposable income ain't what it used to be. With the increase in cost to keep the site running, we've decided to ask you guys to pitch in, if you want to and are able. If just a handful of users are able to pitch in even a few bucks a month, it will go a long way towards keeping us active and ad-free.

Thanks for your consideration, and for being fucking awesome. We appreciate you guys.

- zilla

EDIT: The button has been taken down for now, as we've met our goal of covering a year's worth of site costs. If you still want to donate and be added to the Site Contributors group, you can donate directly to my paypal: patrick.maeder2@gmail.com. Any further donations will be applied to the following year's site costs. Thanks!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Donate Button

I am 100% in favor of a donate button in place of ads.

That being said, it'd be cool if the donors got something in return, even if it was something as little as a "donor-only" title.

Also, donated. Thanks for everything thus far!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I get an error when I clicked on the Donate button to try to pitch in:

That being said, I wouldn't mind some ads if it's necessary to ensure you make ends meet. Perhaps something less invasive and more targeted like getting referral benefits from TCGPlayer when clicking on a card rather than linking to Deckbox (which slows down the site anyway).

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post

That being said, I wouldn't mind some ads if it's necessary to ensure you make ends meet. Perhaps something less invasive and more targeted like getting referral benefits from TCGPlayer when clicking on a card rather than linking to Deckbox (which slows down the site anyway).
    Personally, I'd rather split the cost with a few dedicated people than have ads. My main concern is the problem that comes along with many out-of-the-box ad solutions. Google's ad solution is nice in that it's non-invasive and delivers nothing but text. However, in my experience, it simply doesn't deliver enough money.

Having cards automatically turn into referral links to TCGPlayer are definitely a cool idea and could potentially be enough to pay for the site. But unless they offer a solution that handles this for you, I'd guess that the work involved with implementing such a plan would be quite large, possibly greater than the benefit. (This is the part where I get bored and outsource the job to India for $27 because I like conding projects)
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

I like this, and I'll be sure to set up a paypal account and chip in a few bucks when I get my salary this month.

However, I'd like to know, say that me and 99 other Sourcers each chip in $5, which totals to $500 - will you remove the donation button for ten months and use the excess to keep the site running, or where does the surplus go?
    Currently playing:

Canadian Threshold Primer!
    Team America

My blog about Legacy, limited, EDH and stuff!

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

The Source has been my source for distraction at work for years and I've been lurking the site since 2006 so I wouldn't mind giving something back in return :)

Edit: Done!
    Last edited by Higgs; 09-19-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    I like this, and I'll be sure to set up a paypal account and chip in a few bucks when I get my salary this month.

However, I'd like to know, say that me and 99 other Sourcers each chip in $5, which totals to $500 - will you remove the donation button for ten months and use the excess to keep the site running, or where does the surplus go?
    Someone had to pay the fees in past ten years. I'd say let that person keep the excess money, it's not like someone started a sophisticated internet scam back in 2003.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I get an error when I clicked on the Donate button to try to pitch in:

Got the same problem. Will try later again.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

^^ Same shit. Will try again later from home.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

The "site contributor" title for the name is a good idea.

Also, when sending money thru paypal to your address (patrick.maeder2@gmail.com) just select SEND MONEY FOR GOODS AND SERVICES" that way the contributors dont have to pay a 2$ fee for the money x-fers

EDIT : Funds sent
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I am 100% in favor of a donate button in place of ads.

That being said, it'd be cool if the donors got something in return, even if it was something as little as a "donor-only" title.

Also, donated. Thanks for everything thus far!
    Does any of the proceeds from purchasing clothing go to funding the website?
    http://www.cafepress.com/mtgthesource

Or what about those damn elusive playmats:

Papa got swag?

Donated.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Those mats, (I want one) can not be reprinted due to Copyright issues.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Magic Librarian
    Aug 2007
    Johannes de Silentio

Quote Originally Posted by luckme10 View Post
    Does any of the proceeds from purchasing clothing go to funding the website?
    http://www.cafepress.com/mtgthesource

Or what about those damn elusive playmats:

Papa got swag?

Donated.
    I've a spare mat sitting at my place -- bought it for a friend whom has always wanted to but has not picked it up yet. Didn't know it was in such demand. Btw, Swift is good, but I'd also recommend Candide by Voltaire -- a far better satirical work.

Will donate from time to time, thanks for keeping this site up and running.
    One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

got a new bike
    Sep 2013

Even as a steadfast lurker for years, I felt compelled to give a small donation. This is the only Magic forum I bother to check regularly anymore due to the quality of content, thank you all.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Donated!

What's with this talk of satire? We need to get some Aesop and Horace up in this bitch.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post

This is a terrible idea. We want to avoid the perception of the site being elitist.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

@mini1337s: The custom user group will be rather understated. Only an individual user's name will be a different color (much like mine and other admins' are red). Their posts will continue to look like everyone else's. As for a custom user title, site contributors will be allowed to use "Site Contributor" as their custom title if they so choose. I don't consider this particularly ostentatious or obnoxious. It simply denotes that a particular member cares about the community enough to be involved financially. Technically anyone can change their custom user title to say Kawaiiiii right now if they want to. =p

@Magic Fanatic: I guess we could do check or money order, if you want. If that's something you're interested in doing, you can shoot me a PM and I'll provide an address where you can send one. Thanks for asking.

@Que: Honestly we haven't put a huge amount of thought into it yet. Since the mats are for the community, I'm interested in everyone's input. Perhaps we can put together a collection of potential art pieces to use for a Source playmat and have the community vote on the design(s) they like the best?

@luckme10: As far as I know, proceeds from the cafepress store go to Source admin Nightmare, who original set up the shop years ago. I assume he's been spending that money on beard maintenance. It's possible that we'll set up an "official" shop with other merch like t-shirts and hats once we get the new playmats designed and produced.

@Bed Decks Palyer: I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't expect compensation for the money I've invested in the site over the years. We've got a great, thoroughly independent community and that's good enough for me. As stated previously, all funds collected will go right back towards site costs.

@Karadis: Excluding contributions from the admin staff, our users have donated $384.49 in the last day and a half. This is much better than anticipated. You guys have been amazingly generous, and it will go a long way towards keeping the site paid for. We can't thank you enough. You guys are awesome.

Any amount I set will be somewhat arbitrary, but certainly if we break $600 in contributions we'll be taking the button down, as that would account for at least a year of site costs, which is a nice round number. The button would then be put back up next year, once those funds have been depleted.

With regards to the Site Contributors usergroup, I know for sure that the following members have contributed (in no particular order):

Occam
    Scott
    Monkey_Island
    Aetherick
    Phoenix Ignition
    Kayradis
    lordofthepit
    thecrav
    Esper3k
    Nidd
    Maro_
    Colo
    wcm8
    Shawon
    maurobad2k4
    afb0032
    luckme10
    Dice_Box
    danyul
    alphastryk
    ScatmanX
    rooneg
    H3llsp4wn
    mini1337s
    Teluin
    Technics
    Aahz
    rxavage
    somethingdotdotdot
    Shrubs
    Barbed Blightning
    phazonmutant
    Crafty
    Julian23
    MirrorMask
    ColeM
    Higgs
    Kiwi
    TheArchitect
    Admiral_Arzar
    Asthereal

I believe a few names are missing from this list, and I don't want to leave you out. If you contributed and you don't see your name here, shoot me a PM and let me know. If you haven't contributed yet but are planning to, don't forget to leave your Source username in the paypal notes!

Thanks again guys. Keep kicking ass.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I pay for an SCG Premium subscription that I only occasionally read.

I read this shiz erryday. And I get shaky and nervous when the site goes down for any reason. So I'm more than happy to donate.

Thanks for keeping The Source up and running all these years. Also thanks for Angel Stompy.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post

I read this shiz erryday. And I get shaky and nervous when the site goes down for any reason. So I'm more than happy to donate.

Thanks for keeping The Source up and running all these years. Also thanks for Angel Stompy.
    Bingo!

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post

Wow, when you put it that way. Yeah, the Source is way better than Premium. Admins, you guys are awesome. Finally go around to donating, glad I could chip in.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Thread Information