Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Donate Button + Source Playmat / T-Shirt Discussion

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

Re: Donate Button

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I am 100% in favor of a donate button in place of ads.

That being said, it'd be cool if the donors got something in return, even if it was something as little as a "donor-only" title.

Also, donated. Thanks for everything thus far!
    Does any of the proceeds from purchasing clothing go to funding the website?
    http://www.cafepress.com/mtgthesource

Or what about those damn elusive playmats:

Papa got swag?

Donated.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Those mats, (I want one) can not be reprinted due to Copyright issues.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post

That being said, it'd be cool if the donors got something in return, even if it was something as little as a "donor-only" title.
    This is a terrible idea. We want to avoid the perception of the site being elitist.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

@mini1337s: The custom user group will be rather understated. Only an individual user's name will be a different color (much like mine and other admins' are red). Their posts will continue to look like everyone else's. As for a custom user title, site contributors will be allowed to use "Site Contributor" as their custom title if they so choose. I don't consider this particularly ostentatious or obnoxious. It simply denotes that a particular member cares about the community enough to be involved financially. Technically anyone can change their custom user title to say Kawaiiiii right now if they want to. =p

@Magic Fanatic: I guess we could do check or money order, if you want. If that's something you're interested in doing, you can shoot me a PM and I'll provide an address where you can send one. Thanks for asking.

@Que: Honestly we haven't put a huge amount of thought into it yet. Since the mats are for the community, I'm interested in everyone's input. Perhaps we can put together a collection of potential art pieces to use for a Source playmat and have the community vote on the design(s) they like the best?

@luckme10: As far as I know, proceeds from the cafepress store go to Source admin Nightmare, who original set up the shop years ago. I assume he's been spending that money on beard maintenance. It's possible that we'll set up an "official" shop with other merch like t-shirts and hats once we get the new playmats designed and produced.

@Bed Decks Palyer: I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't expect compensation for the money I've invested in the site over the years. We've got a great, thoroughly independent community and that's good enough for me. As stated previously, all funds collected will go right back towards site costs.

@Karadis: Excluding contributions from the admin staff, our users have donated $384.49 in the last day and a half. This is much better than anticipated. You guys have been amazingly generous, and it will go a long way towards keeping the site paid for. We can't thank you enough. You guys are awesome.

Any amount I set will be somewhat arbitrary, but certainly if we break $600 in contributions we'll be taking the button down, as that would account for at least a year of site costs, which is a nice round number. The button would then be put back up next year, once those funds have been depleted.

With regards to the Site Contributors usergroup, I know for sure that the following members have contributed (in no particular order):

Occam
    Scott
    Monkey_Island
    Aetherick
    Phoenix Ignition
    Kayradis
    lordofthepit
    thecrav
    Esper3k
    Nidd
    Maro_
    Colo
    wcm8
    Shawon
    maurobad2k4
    afb0032
    luckme10
    Dice_Box
    danyul
    alphastryk
    ScatmanX
    rooneg
    H3llsp4wn
    mini1337s
    Teluin
    Technics
    Aahz
    rxavage
    somethingdotdotdot
    Shrubs
    Barbed Blightning
    phazonmutant
    Crafty
    Julian23
    MirrorMask
    ColeM
    Higgs
    Kiwi
    TheArchitect
    Admiral_Arzar
    Asthereal

I believe a few names are missing from this list, and I don't want to leave you out. If you contributed and you don't see your name here, shoot me a PM and let me know. If you haven't contributed yet but are planning to, don't forget to leave your Source username in the paypal notes!

Thanks again guys. Keep kicking ass.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I pay for an SCG Premium subscription that I only occasionally read.

I read this shiz erryday. And I get shaky and nervous when the site goes down for any reason. So I'm more than happy to donate.

Thanks for keeping The Source up and running all these years. Also thanks for Angel Stompy.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Any amount I set will be somewhat arbitrary, but certainly if we break $600 in contributions we'll be taking the button down, as that would account for at least a year of site costs, which is a nice round number. The button would then be put back up next year, once those funds have been depleted.
    This sounds like a great idea.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post

I read this shiz erryday. And I get shaky and nervous when the site goes down for any reason. So I'm more than happy to donate.

Thanks for keeping The Source up and running all these years. Also thanks for Angel Stompy.
    Bingo!

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I wish I weren't such a broke idiot. Agree with the post about SCG Premium (not that I pay for that) but yeah I read this daily (hourly?). Will you be accepting donations even if the donate button is not up? I would at least like to pitch in a fair contribution later on even if it is technically paid off for a long while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Donations can be made even when the button's not up by sending money directly to my paypal (patrick.maeder2@gmail.com). Just be sure to make a note that it's for The Source so I can keep the funds separate. Thanks!

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Zilla i setup a subscription, will you get a note monthly letting you know what it's for? LMK if not.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Technics - I don't have anyone else sending me monthly payments for anything, so I'll know what it's for. Thanks for your contribution!

Magic Librarian
    Aug 2007
    Johannes de Silentio

Quote Originally Posted by luckme10 View Post
    Does any of the proceeds from purchasing clothing go to funding the website?
    http://www.cafepress.com/mtgthesource

Or what about those damn elusive playmats:

Papa got swag?

Donated.
    I've a spare mat sitting at my place -- bought it for a friend whom has always wanted to but has not picked it up yet. Didn't know it was in such demand. Btw, Swift is good, but I'd also recommend Candide by Voltaire -- a far better satirical work.

Will donate from time to time, thanks for keeping this site up and running.
    One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

got a new bike
    Sep 2013

Even as a steadfast lurker for years, I felt compelled to give a small donation. This is the only Magic forum I bother to check regularly anymore due to the quality of content, thank you all.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Donated!

What's with this talk of satire? We need to get some Aesop and Horace up in this bitch.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    @mini1337s: The custom user group will be rather understated. Only an individual user's name will be a different color (much like mine and other admins' are red). Their posts will continue to look like everyone else's. As for a custom user title, site contributors will be allowed to use "Site Contributor" as their custom title if they so choose. I don't consider this particularly ostentatious or obnoxious. It simply denotes that a particular member cares about the community enough to be involved financially. Technically anyone can change their custom user title to say Kawaiiiii right now if they want to. =p
    I am kind of in two minds about this. Since the Admins don't have Admin in their title the only way to tell them apart is by colour. Having another colour may confuse new posters that the person with that colour could be a secondary level Admin or something.

Sent from my mobile, forgive spelling and grammatical errors.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

I am kind of in two minds about this. Since the Admins don't have Admin in their title the only way to tell them apart is by colour. Having another colour may confuse new posters that the person with that colour could be a secondary level Admin or something.
    This is a legitimate concern, but I'm not sure how much of a problem it would actually be. Admins are red, and mods are maroon, both shades of red. Our plan for the Site Contributors was to have them be some shade of blue, different enough that they're distinct from the basic Member, but not so much so that you'd be inclined to think they're part of the staff. Also, we'd likely change the default user title for that group from Member to Site Contributor, so those members that contributed but have not changed their title to something custom would all be represented that way, which would be another cue to new users as to what the different color means.

This is all open to discussion, of course. It's important to us that users who have contributed are recognized for their contribution, but obviously we want that to be in a way that's pleasing to the community as a whole, so if you have suggestions in this regard, don't hesitate to share them.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post

Wow, when you put it that way. Yeah, the Source is way better than Premium. Admins, you guys are awesome. Finally go around to donating, glad I could chip in.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Hope my part helps. Now if only I could get my hands on a playmat.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    Hope my part helps. Now if only I could get my hands on a playmat.
    Agree 101% on the playmats. Isn't there a possibility to reprint the old ones?
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Site Contributor

Sep 2013
    Baltimore

I've lurked on this forum for years so I'm more than happy to throw in a little bit. The Source definitely made me love legacy.

Thank you guys for running the site!

Thread Information