Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Donate Button + Source Playmat / T-Shirt Discussion

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

Re: Donate Button

I guess this is my chance to say thank you for the awesome forum that taught me how to "magic "again after my long absence, instead of derping around like a fool and wasting my money. So, from the money (and time) you saved me you got some back!! WOW!! I am a donor!!

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
    Agree 101% on the playmats. Isn't there a possibility to reprint the old ones?
    I wish we could, but the old ones contained copyrighted artwork. We don't want to infringe on Wizards' intellectual property, and we couldn't legally sell them to recoup the costs of printing them. They'll have to remain a fond memory, I'm afraid.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I wish we could, but the old ones contained copyrighted artwork. We don't want to infringe on Wizards' intellectual property, and we couldn't legally sell them to recoup the costs of printing them. They'll have to remain a fond memory, I'm afraid.
    What about designing new ones? Use the source logo and maybe have a talented artist make original recreations of the classic MTG arts? Just spitballing.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Well, nobody would know where the playmats came from, right?

*sigh*
    It pains me to know that the old playmat train has left the station.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Zilla, you know what I would love to see? T-shirts or polos for The Source. I know that we have some fantastic artist inside our community that would be happy to contribute some non-copyright art. When going to big events, wearing your The Source shirt should be something to show your affection to this site.

In order for this to be successful and widely recognized though, we would need the owners/admins of The Source to officially support this. Maybe I'm thinking to big, but in case you're familiar with the concept, I'm looking at the way teamliquid.net has been promoting its brand over the last 2-3 years

Also: high quality shirts. I'd be very willing to pay 40-50€ for a The Source polo if the quality was decent.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Zilla, you know what I would love to see? T-shirts for The Source. I know that we have some fantastic artist inside our community that would be happy to contribute some non-copyright art. When going to big events, wearing your The Source shirt should be something to show your affection to this site.
    +1

And lately, more and more of our members been performing good finish at multiple events across the globe (Mr. Cook w/ T.E.S. is a good example for North America). This could bring growth to the site and more contributor.

Just something we might wanna explore eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Does anyone have the image of the playmat in high resolution?
    I'd really like to have that, and see if I can pull something out (no selling or anything like that, of course).
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Now this is a cause I can support. Donated.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

You guys should use the excess to fund orbital wobble research

No reason, but you could say you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

I've never owned a playmat, but I would buy one if The Source got a good looking one up. This is something worth looking further into I think!
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

A lengthy attempt at resurrecting the fabled Source playmat has already happened and has failed. If you guys wanna try that again, you should probably start a separate thread for such things.

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    A lengthy attempt at resurrecting the fabled Source playmat has already happened and has failed. If you guys wanna try that again, you should probably start a separate thread for such things.
    I realize resurrection will not occur, but a new playmat i something I would be interested to know more about if it happens.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    What about designing new ones? Use the source logo and maybe have a talented artist make original recreations of the classic MTG arts? Just spitballing.
    This has already been discussed a bit earlier in this thread, but yeah, we plan to make new playmats. Exact recreations of classic MTG artwork won't work, but artwork inspired by that artwork would work. Like I said earlier in this thread, there's a possibility we might take artwork submissions from community members and then vote on the one we'd like to see turned into a playmat. We're open to other suggestions as well. Let us know what you guys would like and we'll see what we can do.

Zilla, you know what I would love to see? T-shirts or polos for The Source. I know that we have some fantastic artist inside our community that would be happy to contribute some non-copyright art. When going to big events, wearing your The Source shirt should be something to show your affection to this site.
    This is also something we're interested in doing. A long time ago there were some Cafe Press shirts and hats created by Nightmare, but they weren't particularly well thought-out. (No offense intended to Nightmare - he just put them together super quick right before a major event, if I recall correctly.)

In any case, I want to do this. It would be a nice way to generate a little extra revenue for site maintenance, and it would be awesome to give our members a way to represent The Source at tournaments. We need to figure out artwork (maybe just a simple logo?), and we also need to figure out who we want to use to make shirts and handle order fulfillment. Cafe Press is kinda ghetto, honestly. I've heard good things about a site called Zazzle, so I'll do a little research and see if we want to set up a storefront through them.

As with the play mats, we're open to user suggestions on shirts and other merchandise as well.

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

As far as a playmat, I would like to see an artist's rendering of some iconic legacy match-up in universe. I tend to get the most utilitarian mats and deckboxes, but I'd pay extra to see a playmat with a bunch of goblins charging down a phyrexian dreadnought, or emrakul annihilating several tarmogoyfs.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

It also just so happens I am consulting a startup that is looking to break open the tee shirt business. Post what we want, and have different printers/manufactures bid on the job.

If someone can get me the art, i can see what I can do.

letstaggle.com

I also actually work for a Sporting Goods company with their own team sales division. This means I can get us pretty much anything made. Nike Dri-Fit polo's would be nice.

If there is interest I can inquire.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Slag View Post
    As far as a playmat, I would like to see an artist's rendering of some iconic legacy match-up in universe. I tend to get the most utilitarian mats and deckboxes, but I'd pay extra to see a playmat with a bunch of goblins charging down a phyrexian dreadnought, or emrakul annihilating several tarmogoyfs.
    This! We could do something similar to the Mirrodin Besieged promotional artwork (for reference: http://manashift.com/wp-content/uplo...t1-564x902.jpg) with creatures and spells from fair decks--Tarmogoyf, Piledriver, Bob, Batterskull, Lightning Bolt, Nimble Mongoose, etc--going toe-to-toe with those of unfair decks--Emrakul, Griselbrand, Grapeshot, Craterhoof, Dreadnought, Ravager, etc--since legacy is so defined by the fair/unfair question when you are choosing what deck to play.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    This! We could do something similar to the Mirrodin Besieged promotional artwork (for reference: http://manashift.com/wp-content/uplo...t1-564x902.jpg) with creatures and spells from fair decks--Tarmogoyf, Piledriver, Bob, Batterskull, Lightning Bolt, Nimble Mongoose, etc--going toe-to-toe with those of unfair decks--Emrakul, Griselbrand, Grapeshot, Craterhoof, Dreadnought, Ravager, etc--since legacy is so defined by the fair/unfair question when you are choosing what deck to play.
    I like how goyf is not considered fair (i remember when there were clamoring for bans) but grapeshot and ravager are unfair?

I think something like the playmat would be really cool but have the cards combined. Force of Will mage spinning a SDT, goyf busting out of the wasteland, dark confidant going off with a plow on his shoulder. More of a mashup of some of the iconic cards all put together in one (or many small) different pieces of new art.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Okay. I have changed my mind. Those art ideas sound awesome. Somebody make those now.

This is now a T-Shirt/playmat thread.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Chipped in as well. Happy to help!

I am absolutely sure we have some artists on the forum, so art should not be a problem.
    So many awesome altered cards out there. One of these artists is sure to want to help us.
    I'd surely be interested in a The Source shirt or playmat if it looks nice.

But if we cannot get the merchandise off the ground, I'd be happy to just donate a few bucks every now and then.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Alright.
    Screw merchandise.

Let's open a bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Thread Information