Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is Swan Song doing?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Re: How is Swan Song doing?

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Ok, I'll go on the record here - I've tested it in Miracles. It doesn't cut it, at all. Any situation this is better than the alternatives is very contrived and it isn't nearly as good in the long game as people are making it out to be. I'll stick with my Flusterstorm / Spell Pierce / Counterspell split.

It's definitely a good card and likely has a place in the future but not in current-day Miracles.
    It has a home in a few niche decks that:

a) Need to counter certain Enchantments, instants, or sorceries that you just belly up and die to

b) Need a hard counter at low mana cost and don't care about the token that's already part of the game plan

c) the token is part of the game plan

-Matt

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    That is a gameplan I can get behind
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Please bring back Defense of the Heart!

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Please bring back Defense of the Heart!
    Or Oath of Druids...

-Matt

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Or Oath of Druids...
    Big ol' cup of nope
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Please tell me how counterspell does anything against Hymn on the draw or their Turn 2 S&T/Ad Nauseam/etc.? It doesn't. In those situations I rather give them a 2/2. The only cards you can compare Song with are Pierce and Flusterstorm, but those are pretty dead in the mid-/lategame which you ALWAYS reach with Miracles.

If you use Swan Song to counter random stuff like discard (Cabal Therapy flashback lol) you deserve to loose to a 2/2 Bird. This counter serves the intelligent player.

I may remind you that StoP, Jace, Terminus, Venser and Entreat all negate Swan Song's drawback out of Miracles.
    You don't want to spend your resouces to get rid of drawbacks created by your own cards. You have to design your deck to be able to operate at maximum efficiency and give yourself the best amount of resources in any given scenario- especially since Miracles already has its problems due to being able to corrctly setup otherwise dead white cards in your hand.
    You don't want to find games where you'll find yourself being forced to spend an additional Swords to Plowshares on the Bird token, or just to change the timing of your Terminus because you were already at a low life; similarly, you don't want to spend an entire turn of -1ing with Jace when you could have +0ed and thus gained a massive advantage.

Spell Pierce hits the card you mentioned and yes, it becomes a dead card in lategame, you're right; but, at that stage of the game, opponent's threats will be handled with the other diversified options Miracle has access to (hard Counterspell, Force of will, Counterbalance, and so on; for Show and Tell, post-board REBs, Flusterstorms, etc.). You don't need every card to be always consistent, as SP's function is just to stop problematic cards in specific windows of the game (early stages, and costy, harmful spells) and it's so tempo-friendly that it's worth to be played even if it sucks later on. Otherwise, we would all be playing 4 Counterspells and 4 Forces, wouldn't we? And then get raped by the speed of the format.

This is pretty much basic stuff to know in a format where you're swimming with sharks, I guess.

Definitely not a worthy MD card in Miracles; probably not even in the sideboard. I'll repeat myself: Bird drawback is negligible when you're not caring about board situation, i.e. combo. That's not the case of Control at all.
    People below me are having the same feedback. If you want to stick with Swan Song, for me it's obviously fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

The fact that it's such a large topic of debate on several threads in this forum is almost a boon to it's impending popularity. I foresee it to be a topic of discussion for weeks upon weeks to come. I think it will find it's home soon, and will be tested and found useful in at least 2 decks, maybe upwards.

It's good in the same way daze/stifle is: Certain decks only.

-ABC

Anybody else liking it a lot post-SB in Reanimator?

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

This thread seems to have become focused on whether or not Swan Song is suitable for miracles. I think the card's home is in combo decks to protect their combo. A hard counter at 1 mana seems good.

A guy at my LGS is playing this as a 1 or 2 of in his mono blue omni deck. It seems like a quite viable home. Is it better than just running Flusterstorm? Not sure, but there are certainly corner cases. Does the bird matter? Not really.

It seems - like many others have pointed out - very lacklustre in tempo decks. Also seems a sideboard option at the very best for control decks to bring in against combo as an alternative to Flusterstorm which might not make much sense.

Swan song is the best card ever in my thopter sword polymorph deck

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    It seems - like many others have pointed out - very lacklustre in tempo decks.
    It is such a hilariously catastrophic disaster in tempo that this alone possibly accounts for the card's unpopularity. Giving the opponent an evasive beater that trades with a Delver is an amusing way to 2-for-1 yourself, quite possibly taking some damage in the process.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Why you guys comment on a 30 month old thread?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Why you guys comment on a 30 month old thread?
    I think it has to do with the unstable nature of time. Their universe is currently rubbing elbows with ours, and through the magic of the internet, somehow their posts have crossed the thin membrane between realities and posted in our very old thread, while they believed they were responding in a timely manner in their own reality. Clearly this polymorph thopter sword deck is a tier 1 strategy in that universe. I am curious as to what their DTB forum looks like. Perhaps there are goblins.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Swang Song isnt great either when Cabal Therapy is fairly popular card right now.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Swang Song isnt great either when Cabal Therapy is fairly popular card right now.
    Oh, I like it if my Therapy gets countered by Swan Song
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Three years, really?

Thread Information