Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

[SCD] Waste Not

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...eature/267ymtc

Waste Not
    1B
    Enchantment
    Whenever an opponent discards a creature card, put a 2/2 black zombie creature token onto the battlefield.
    Whenever an opponent discards a land card, add BB to your mana pool.
    Whenever an opponent discards a noncreature, nonland card, draw a card.

This is the end result of YMTC. People were originally fearful that this would end up as over-costed jank. At 1B it's well within the realm of possibility for eternal applications.

Obviously it 'combos' with Liliana of the Veil, Hymn to Tourach, Thoughtseize, Smallpox etc.

Particularly interesting would be if you could figure out a way to chain it with stuff like Reforge the Soul, or perhaps Burning Inquiry.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: [SCD] Waste Not

This is the kind of stuff that gets made when players are given the chance?

Enchantments that require discarding just aren't good. Yuck.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

1B for a card that does nothing on it's own and is worded "discard" instead of "put into the graveyard" IS overcosted jank...
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    overcosted jank...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Enchantments that require discarding just aren't good. Yuck.
    Wow are you guys ever impossible to please.

I think the card is, at the least, very interesting. 1B is a realistic mana cost, that made me happy to see. I'm going to try combining it Ill-Gotten Gains and Whispering Madness, throw in Dream Salvage for good measure, add some accelartion, and (not) waste a few minutes toying around with it. Sounds fun to me. Even if it's bad, it will have been an enjoyable thought experiment. What else can you ask for from a new card?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post

I think the card is, at the least, very interesting. 1B is a realistic mana cost, that made me happy to see. I'm going to try combining it Ill-Gotten Gains and Whispering Madness, throw in Dream Salvage for good measure, add some accelartion, and (not) waste a few minutes toying around with it. Sounds fun to me. Even if it's bad, it will have been an enjoyable thought experiment. What else can you ask for from a new card?
    I' sorry if you can't understand our judgement based on Legacy's powerlevel. What I'm asking for? Cards what aren't a total joke compared to creature powercreep.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

It seems like a card that can only be actually good in specific matchups. Getting BB for ditching a land means that even if you spend your turn 2 dropping it, your turn three is going to result in them having an empty hand (at least in those decks like 8-rack in Modern that are basically discard spells and racks and not much else) or you're gonna draw a card or two and poop out a few zombies. The problem is, beyond using it as a conditional Lotus Bloom, it'll probably just sit there for the rest of the game doing nothing of importance or value unless you're playing dumb shit like Burning Inquiry.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post

There's a difference between 'impossible to please' and 'playing better cards and actually winning'. Wait.. no there isn't.

I've tried Dream Salvage to death. The card might be something's engine eventually but somehow I doubt it because it would be a fucking HOUSE in modern unless the deck absolutely needs cards from Legacy to function.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Oct 2011
    Down in a dark, cold basement.

This is an example of funny yet rather useless design. I fail to see how this card can be included in any of the current tiers without resulting less than optimal. The msot common suggestion i read around is "try it with Liliana". Yes, it is pretty boss in conjunction with lili, but in the end you realize it's just a win-more that drains up slots in your library. Lili is strong enough by herself, without other funny random card to turn her into an overkill. In addition, this card is an absolute dead draw, who benefits from other horrible topdecks., thus making the chance of drawing absolute shit in lategame substantially high. I cannot see any application of this card except for a build-around.
    -Magic: the Gathering L1 Judge-

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Fuck this, we could have had the red 2-drop.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    This is the kind of stuff that gets made when players are given the chance?
    Out of the submissions, we didn't choose the 8 finalist. You can bet your ass that were definitely better ideas among the player submissions we didn't get to see, like the tons of Necro variants which were completely ignored.

While the majority of the voting playerbase loves to go for retarded decisions, Wizards and only Wizards is to blame this time. When you can only choose between 8x crap, the result can only be a turd.

In the end, it's just a poor imitation of Primeval Bounty and whoever was responsible for choosing the cards deserves to be punched in the dick.

CoW was simple, yet a thing of beauty. An enchantment which alters the your possible plays would have been far more interesting, like a green enchantment that let's you cast a creature from your library whenever you search it (include limitations here). Instead, we got a wordy, useless clusterfuck while Maro will preach about elegance of design next week again.

@H3llsp4wn: Young Pyromancer

Edit: Considering that the card is a complete waste of card board, its name is kinda ironic.

I like it for its combo potential, but the fact the deck would be crap everytime it didn't draw it/got it countered makes me kinda sad.

Just think about it:

Turn 1 Thoughtseize
    Turn 2 Waste Not
    Turn 3 Burning Inquiry, ????, Profit

Maybe we can incorporate it into the whole Ill-Gotten Gains + Dream Salvage thing.

4x Dark Ritual
    3x Liliana of the Veil
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Hymn to Tourach
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Duress
    4x Ill-Gotten Gains
    4x Dream Salvage
    4x Waste Not
    ???

You're gonna have enough strong T1 plays to justify Dark Rituals and it's just nuts when you get to go off.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Want not. Having discard effectively provide +1 ca is pretty strong in itself, but not at the cost of your T2 play, and not when the opponent can circumvent it so easily by going hellbent.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    No. He is good, but not in a league with Goyf, Bob, Stoneforge and Snapcaster Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    No. He is good, but not in a league with Goyf, Bob, Stoneforge and Snapcaster Mage.
    Hey, Young Pyro might be good in the deck. It's good with Cabal Therapy and Smallpox (kinda).

Man, building around new cards is só hard. The bar is set so high it's kinda discouraging.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

This card is about 12 years too late to be useful. I think this in a Megrim deck would have been nuts. I mean you would not have gotten to use the mana it makes, but the other two options would have been great.

Also it would have combined wonderfully well with One with Nothing should they have said "When a player discards". Sigh.

Sent from my mobile, forgive spelling and grammatical errors.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

When you consider that this card will be played exclusively with liliana of the veil it seems really good. If liliana was not printed it would probably be incredibly mediocre.

That being said its good to have something very powerful in modern. This isnt a card that will do much for legacy though. 2 card combos in legacy do much better things than this. In modern though it probably wont fit into jund and therefore will be obsolete cause modern is apparently Jund vs everything else...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I' sorry if you can't understand our judgement based on Legacy's powerlevel. What I'm asking for? Cards what aren't a total joke compared to creature powercreep.
    "more cards with the power level of Deathrite Shaman".... I think thats where you were going with this. I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Out of the submissions, we didn't choose the 8 finalist. You can bet your ass that were definitely better ideas among the player submissions we didn't get to see, like the tons of Necro variants which were completely ignored.

While the majority of the voting playerbase loves to go for retarded decisions, Wizards and only Wizards is to blame this time. When you can only choose between 8x crap, the result can only be a turd.

In the end, it's just a poor imitation of Primeval Bounty and whoever was responsible for choosing the cards deserves to be punched in the dick.

CoW was simple, yet a thing of beauty. An enchantment which alters the your possible plays would have been far more interesting, like a green enchantment that let's you cast a creature from your library whenever you search it (include limitations here). Instead, we got a wordy, useless clusterfuck while Maro will preach about elegance of design next week again.

Edit: Considering that the card is a complete waste of card board, its name is kinda ironic.
    So it sounds like " you make the card 5" should have its own legacy submissions to keep separate from all of those standard submissions. If that was the case I guarantee you legacy would get something good.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

At and affecting all opponents, it's a house in multiplayer. (I thought it would have been a card...)

It seems like the recent rash of high quality GY hate hits this card a bit since it makes symmetric discard abuse weaker.

In principle, each of the triggers is worth roughly one card - (Dark Ritual), a body, or a card. To break even for the mana and card cost, you need to see 2 discards. To really profit, you probably need to see four. That seems like a bit of a tall order.

The interactions with Wheel and Deal,Ill-Gotten Gains or Whispering Madness are cute, but probably not worthwhile.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

I love this card. Of course, I play a MB Pox deck so that's why. The deck OFTEN gets to both players top decking with little to no mana out. At that point, all of these abilities become relevant. The deck has always had issues with others that focused on card advantage, but this helps with its own AND the abilities stack.
    When both players are top decking - you're almost always going to a creature or a card out of it because the player would play their land. The tokens won't ruin Nether Spirit either. Top decking with the Planeswalker is even better (and happens pretty frequently).
    Dark Ritual also makes this a T1 card that gets benefit as the deck has enough 1CC discard spells as well.
    So yes, this deck requires a build around it. But if you happen to play the 1 niche deck it's good in, then you're happy.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

This card could be fun: really rough list obviously, and in three colors, but turn 3 can get really crazy with an active waste not and two for ones that sometimes lead to more mana and more two for ones. . .

4 Waste Not
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Artifact Toolbox?

4 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Smallpox
    4 Hymn to Torach

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Tought Seize
    4 Duress
    4 Burning Inquiry

20 Lands