Thread: Ad Nauseam in Draw Phase

Ad Nauseam in Draw Phase

When playing yesterday a question came up and I wanted to make sure.

I am playing Tendrils combo and it is my draw phase. During my last turn I Brainstormed putting Ad Nauseam on top. I have two untapped lands (e. g. USea) out and one Lion's Eye Diamond in play. Can I sac LED in my draw phase before drawing a card, discarding my hand to activate und thus adding three mana to my mana pool? I would proceed to draw An Nauseam, tap the two lands and cast Ad Nauseam during draw phase, before my mana pool empties. I guess the question boils down to: Can I play a spell or ability in a draw phase before the actual card draw?

Thanks for answering...

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: Ad Nauseam in Draw Phase

I guess the answer boils down to: No, you cannot.

The earliest the active player receives priority in the draw step is right after he has drawn his card for the turn. Note that this used to work until some years ago, when people floated mana from Upkeep to Draw Step. However by now, mana pools empty at the end of each step.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

500.4. When a step or phase ends, any unused mana left in a player's mana pool empties. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack.

504. Draw Step

504.1. First, the active player draws a card. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack.

504.2. Second, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of the draw step and any other abilities that have triggered go on the stack.

504.3. Third, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.
    Last edited by cdr; 10-14-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Whoa. I thought you couldn't anymore, either. Someone miss that or did I miss a rules change? That's jus'....stupid. Could have been going off without an draw enabler off a LDV with AN the whole time.

-ABC

You cannot float mana through steps, as Julian23 posted.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information