Thread: Celestial Flare question

Celestial Flare question

Got a question about Celestial Flare. Suppose my opponent attacks with 3 creatures and I block 2 of them. This results in all of these creatures trading, leaving my opponent with one creature. Do I have an opportunity to cast Celestial Flare and make them sacrifice that creature, or is it too late by the time combat damage is dealt?

Site Contributor

Feb 2013

Re: Celestial Flare question

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Got a question about Celestial Flare. Suppose my opponent attacks with 3 creatures and I block 2 of them. This results in all of these creatures trading, leaving my opponent with one creature. Do I have an opportunity to cast Celestial Flare and make them sacrifice that creature, or is it too late by the time combat damage is dealt?
    Yes you can, it's the same thing with untapping knight after combat damage with maze of ith. You just have to say that you arnt passing priority after combat damage, and before the combat step ends

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherick View Post
    Yes you can, it's the same thing with untapping knight after combat damage with maze of ith. You just have to say that you arnt passing priority after combat damage, and before the combat step ends
    Yeah, using Maze of Ith on the Knight of the Reliquary was what I was thinking about in regards to this. I wanted to make sure this worked the same way.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

7/1/2013 Creatures continue to be attacking or blocking creatures through the end of combat step. It is possible to cast Celestial Flare within combat but after combat damage is dealt (specifically, during the combat damage step or the end of combat step). Only attacking and blocking creatures that survived combat damage can be sacrificed at this time.
    Although not "official" the Rulings under Gatherer are usually a good place to look as a heads up. Sometimes you find nothing that helps, and sometimes the answer is sitting right there. Not trying to be a dick or anything, just letting people know of another resource that they can use for those that don't know.

Thread Information