Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price Gouging

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Price Gouging

How do you feel about the stores who are jacking up the price on these commander sets?

They probably purchase these sets for maybe 50% of the MSRP, but still jack up the price 3 folds to sell to the same people who keep their stores open.

I know stores are free to charge whatever they want and its ultimately up to the customers who will decide whether to purchase the products or not. However, when you see a store jack up a price for a commander set to like 70 bucks, how do you feel about that store?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Price Gouging

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    How do you feel about the stores who are jacking up the price on these commander sets?
    They're screwing themselves. The only people who will pay these prices are people that need (verb: American for want) them immediately.

1. It is not a limited print-run product. [source]
    2. It will be available at or very near to MSRP at Wal-Mart, Target, and possibly GameStop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I mean you see these stores jack up the price 2-3 folds and wonder in the future...would you ever trust this store to be fair?

They simply are taking advantage of the uninformed.

This is a poor business model if you intend to stay in business for a long time.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

On the flip side if you're a store that is known for selling at MSRP, you get a flock of customers whose only intent is to flip the cards on ebay, thus making it just as price-gougey over all.

I don't really mind it just because the brick and mortar stores make a profit on this, as they are the places that keep most of Magic running, at least at a local level. It's not like they make a ton of profit off of running a 5 dollar FNM, surely not enough to stay open.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    They're screwing themselves. The only people who will pay these prices are people that need (verb: American for want) them immediately.

1. It is not a limited print-run product. [source]
    2. It will be available at or very near to MSRP at Wal-Mart, Target, and possibly GameStop.
    I think with Commander sets it is dumb of them to jack the prices.

With FTV and other limited sets however I am fine with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    With FTV and other limited sets however I am fine with it
    FTV's are really just a gift to stores. "Hey, thanks for selling our product and helping to build the brand. Now pay around $17 each for these sets you can sell for $150+."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    FTV's are really just a gift to stores. "Hey, thanks for selling our product and helping to build the brand. Now pay around $17 each for these sets you can sell for $150+."
    Right. Which is why I am fine with them selling them for not MSRP. I hate when people bitch about how they cant get 150 dollars worth of value for 35 bucks just so they can go eBay it.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I think the stores are getting us back for all the times we would buy out their stock of a card that jumped the day before

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

When do these go available?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    When do these go available?
    November 1, 2013

There is an unlimited supply so I wouldn't worry about these damn stores jacking up prices.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    November 1, 2013

There is an unlimited supply so I wouldn't worry about these damn stores jacking up prices.
    It's probably going to be expensive for those who plan to play it at the BoM.

But even with the unlimited supply, I could see the same thing happening as with Rat's Nest (the precon that had Jitte in it) - while you can order an unlimited number, you can only get the whole package, meaning you have to sell the other junk, too.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame Wizards for not printing enough that the market price is equal to MSRP. If a store sells something at MSRP when market price is 3x MSRP, that's literally just giving money away.

If the market price is in fact not 3x MSRP and some LGS is just trying to gouge locals, they're just driving people to buy online.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    If you're going to blame anyone, blame Wizards for not printing enough that the market price is equal to MSRP. If a store sells something at MSRP when market price is 3x MSRP, that's literally just giving money away.
    The only thing you can Wizards blame for is their dickish distribution model. If you could order batches of the Precon without the other ones, supply wouldn't be a problem.

However, they're only selling whole boxes of the precons, jacking up orders due to "Mind Seize" while nobody else wants the other ones.

From a business point of view, brilliant. From a player point of view, a dick move.

Just go to any big box store and get it there at msrp then. People only get away with gouging because there are people willing to buy it at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Just go to any big box store and get it there at msrp then. People only get away with gouging because there are people willing to buy it at that price.
    But won't other people go and purchase all of the Mind Seize products specifically to sell on eBay?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    But won't other people go and purchase all of the Mind Seize products specifically to sell on eBay?
    let them.

WOTC said that it will be printed in abundance. If they want to hoard, jack up the price and fail to sell on ebay, pay the fees, and commission, its their choice.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Ill head to local walmart/target/whatever to get one at MSRP. I dont have an EDH deck and I figure Ill just modify one of these with some cards. The Bant one looks fun. Though getting a Baleful Strix and a Mini Progenitus is pretty dope as well.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

My issue is the same people who are complaining about stores charging more than MSRP for items are a lot of the same people who will bitch if a store doesn't charge low eBay price for singles. One of our local stores is going out of business because people refused to sell if cards for less than Ebay and then refused to buy cards when he started asking star city prices for them.

I am sorry but you can not afford to keep a shop open without a decent profit margin on product. Everyone cries they have no place to play but then brag about how they can get cards for half the price the shop is selling them at.

When you buy from your LGS your not only buying the card or product, your also buying a place to play and hang out. Another shop got smart he sells at ebay but charges $45 a month for a membership to play there and that gives you free FNM every week and 1 free draft a month. You can also earn member ship by getting a frequent buyer program every $100 in purchases gets you a free week.

This is why i no longer have a shop and why so many are failing, you can not buy singles at $10 and sell for $10.50 it does not work that way, and that is why so many stores jack the price through the roof on these box stuff and other "limited" items. So next time you need a place to play go to Wal-mart and set up a table and chairs and see how that works for you, or even better go to eBays headquarters and play in their lobby.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
    that is why so many stores jack the price through the roof on these box stuff and other "limited" items.
    MaRo has already confirmed, this product is in no way "limited".

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    MaRo has already confirmed, this product is in no way "limited".
    Which is why I do not feel bad buying it from Wal Mart. Last time around I remember every single store in our area charging inflated prices except for one store. They had plenty in stock and they were fine with how many copies of the deck that they had

Thread Information