Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [SCD] True-Name Nemesis

Re: [SCD] Identity Nemesis

It's a lot like Notion Thief - great in its own way and just wins some games all on its own, but it has very tough opposition for slots.

Probably at its absolute strongest in games where you can stick a Jitte on it, but its ability to act as pseudo-removal in Merfolk and then close the game out shouldn't be ignored, either.

This card disappoints me, even as someone with a almost totally pimped merfolk deck. Does a hexproof, unblockable, prevent all damage card really need to exist in mono-blue?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    This card disappoints me, even as someone with a almost totally pimped merfolk deck. Does a hexproof, unblockable, prevent all damage card really need to exist in mono-blue?
    Tell me this? DOes a 1 CMC 3/2 flying belong in mono blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    So, 3/1 beater with hexproof, evasion, indefinite chumpbblocking and a relevant creature type? I mean it's -maybe- a 2-of in Merfolk and RUG since it's a relatively implacable clock but other than that I don't really see it rocking the format. I mean it's not as if people don't already play edicts, taxes, chasms, global sweepers and a host of other shit in order to circumvent non standard threats such as this, and Vendillion Clique still has more utility for most of the benefits.
    Which one of those cards does RUG play?

Yeah people play loads of those cards! That's why RUG play Nimble Mongoose, because it's so easy to kill.

The kinds of cards that kill this card aren't the top removal of the format (StP and Lightning Bolt). Edict effects aren't garanteed to kill, as you can just have another guy. Sweepers are either expensive or slow, stuff like Deed or Explosives can either be countered or Stifled.

Sep 2010
    MNL

Really should have been white, and probably at WWW to at least give it some downside. As it is, I think the card will be problematic because the answers to it are just not efficient to be running in the first place except in a few decks. But I'm hoping for the card to dominate in the next few months to the extent of attracting the banhammer.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

There are many ways to interact with this card that are available to us in Legacy: Thoughtseize, Inquisition of Kozilek, Daze, Force of Will, Llawan Cephalid Empress, Supreme Verdict and other Wrath of God effects, Terminus, Moat, Runed Halo, Sphere of Safety, Liliana of the Veil, Innocent Blood, Smallpox, Edicts, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale + mana denial, Glacial Chasm, Ensnaring Bridge, Engineered Explosives, Engineered Plague, Golgari Charm, Infest, Pernicious Deed, Night of Souls Betrayal, Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast (while it's on the stack, of course) and a whole host of crappier stuff like No Mercy, Mutilate, Ostracize, Ratchet Bomb, etc.

Frankly that's a pretty big list. And it's bad against combo. I agree that the card is dumb, but our format can definitely handle it.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by mrjumbo03 View Post
    Really should have been white, and probably at WWW to at least give it some downside. As it is, I think the card will be problematic because the answers to it are just not efficient to be running in the first place except in a few decks. But I'm hoping for the card to dominate in the next few months to the extent of attracting the banhammer.
    ban hammer already!?!?!

Legacy can adjust to this guy EASILY. its only a 3/1...i can see black decks packing more EP since tribal will be making a hit.

Goblins can still beat merfolk

Im having a hard time making any sort of honest evaluation of this card's power.

I just cant get over how dumb the design is.

I think that "protection from chosen player" may be one of the most poorly designed mechanics to ever be printed on a legal magic card.

It sounds like something out of an Un set to me.

The format can obviously handle it when you consider it in a vacuum; it's a 3 mana 3 power creature. The question is, can the format handle the pile-up of rampant stupidity from the designers as time goes on.
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    I've been joking for a long time that with enough creep the only viable beaters are going to be hexproof + unblockable and that all viable removal is going to be untargeted or untargeted sweepers. Looks like we're well on our way.

More Deed? Blue has Stifle.

Terminus?.... Vapor Snag?

Lili? Maybe you already have another dork.

I love this thing. Three turn clock with SoFI - just counter their win conditions or sweepers and ride it to victory?
    Yes, it's dumb. However, we all know that's where this game is headed anyway.

Personally, I think it's going to be easier to design around this guy than thought. Forget about jamming it into existing decks. Just make UG Hexproof with tempo/permission and win.

1) Disrupt
    2) Swing
    3) ?????
    4) Profit
    This. UG with Noble Hierarch and stuff? This guy is a tempo decks dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by FieryBalrog View Post
    The format can obviously handle it when you consider it in a vacuum; it's a 3 mana 3 power creature. The question is, can the format handle the pile-up of rampant stupidity from the designers as time goes on.
    Pretty summed up.
    I hope that this card won't have much impact, it has really stupid design. I don't fear it too much, after all it's three-mana drop, but once it gets Jitte or anything similar, games will be quite annoying. At least Prog kills in two swings.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    For the design: This is the most unfun and uncreative card of all time. Hexproof + unblockable is retarded. The color choice makes no sense whatsoever. I hate it a lot.
    Anyone that defends this card should be shot in the face with cannons.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Nov 2010
    Philippines

Imagine combining this card with 4 phantasmal images SICK WTF!!!

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

{1UU} Dumb and dumber
    Creature — Merfolk Rogue
    As Dumb and dumber enters the battlefield, choose a player.
    Dumb and dumber has protection from that player. (This creature cannot be blocked, targeted, damaged or enchanted by a source controlled by that player.)
    P/T
    12/1

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    There are many ways to interact with this card that are available to us in Legacy: Thoughtseize, Inquisition of Kozilek, Daze, Force of Will, Llawan Cephalid Empress, Supreme Verdict and other Wrath of God effects, Terminus, Moat, Runed Halo, Sphere of Safety, Liliana of the Veil, Innocent Blood, Smallpox, Edicts, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale + mana denial, Glacial Chasm, Ensnaring Bridge, Engineered Explosives, Engineered Plague, Golgari Charm, Infest, Pernicious Deed, Night of Souls Betrayal, Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast (while it's on the stack, of course) and a whole host of crappier stuff like No Mercy, Mutilate, Ostracize, Ratchet Bomb, etc.

Frankly that's a pretty big list. And it's bad against combo. I agree that the card is dumb, but our format can definitely handle it.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

I hate this card so much. It's so ridiculous! Unblockable, better than Hexproof, aggressive stats, and it's obviously going to be huge because of interactions with lords. "Can't be damaged or enchanted by a source controlled by that player"? WTF.

By this time, it's painfully clear that WOTC
    A) Doesn't test for eternal formats and doesn't particularly care about what happens to them
    B) Consistently juices up blue more than other colors
    C) Is determined to push creatures until they make non-creature spells pale in comparison

Edit: This card is designed to minimize interaction between the players, which on its face is bad design. Of the few ways that exist to kill this thing, pretty much all of them are counterable. I can't believe someone suggested Smallpox as if that was at all based in reality. Have you ever tried to play Smallpox against a Vial deck? It's the worst. Plus, this isn't going to be the only dude in play, so have fun killing Cursecatcher or something. Also, "Wrath of God effects"? Let's be real: Terminus and Supreme Verdict are the only Wrath effects that matter here. Are you really getting off a Damnation against Daze and Cursecatcher before their critical turn?

Final Anglo name may be True-Name Nemesis

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

None. It's only good in corner cases in merfolk, and that deck already folds to a terminus.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Have to say that this is pretty silly as far as these things go. The decks where it will likely see play are Merfolk, Deathblade, and possibly some new UGW Geist/Nemesis + a bunch of pump spells concoction. It might even see play in RUG (and other tempo) SBs because it seems pretty beastly in the mirror. Overall, I doubt it'll warp the format any more than Geist already does. It is pretty damn good though.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Lets' all play terminus or combo !
    Problem is solved right ?

#FamousLastWords
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

This is not going to be a cheap card before BOM Main Event which is one day after Commander 2013 release date.

Thread Information