Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [SCD] Identity Nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    Lets' all play terminus or combo !
    Problem is solved right ?

#FamousLastWords
    Just wait for combo pushing 1st turn Nemesis against control or Tempo ... hilarious SB tech
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Deviruchi View Post
    This is not going to be a cheap card before BOM Main Event which is one day after Commander 2013 release date.
    The 15$ over 5$ doesn't matter.

Well, this is only creature after all.

Belcher, TES, Reanimator, Elves etc couldnt care less.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

I can't understand WotC politics, they push middle range creature centric focus in all formats, then:

- printing such idiotic cards like Terminus (with probably one of the most idiotic mechanics).

- but sweepers is not enough we need easy 1-2 turn wincon so bring me something really powerful - ok Entreat the Angels will be ok ?

- S&T is bunkers with Emrakul, but it doesn't win on spot - that damn Karakas or Oblivion Rings, so let's unban Yawg Bargain but better, let it also be a wincon - best will be flying, lifelink demon - 7/7 is enough ? Ok. But I don't draw 2 FoWs in 14 cards we need something stronger, I win the game button ? Ok printing Enter the Infinity and Omnicience this should be "fun".

- After that they print uncounterable universal removal for 2 on instant (Abrupt Decay) just to make sure that any tempo decks won't be exist.

- next was Supreme Verdict which gives a fuck about any counters - so any tempo strategies pushes back again

- and what is next ? Most UN-interactive wall in blue, with probably very nice aggressive stats.

Simple as hell - WotC want only two archetypes:

-UW Sweeper Miracles
    -Fast Combos

Very interesting.. any other decks just simple can't afford new "creative" cards,

New card won't push Merfolks on top - in the world of Terminus and Supreme Verdict - it just won't. It only kill any other archetypes which doesn't run sweepers, and don't base wincon on interaction with S&T -> I win card.

It seems quite ridiculous in U/x color combinations that don't have access to Tarmogoyf, I'd say Geist of Saint Traft is headed for the bargain bin and decks need to consider whether they want a board presence or hand disruption between Nemesis and Clique in any deck. Stoneblade seems like an obvious fit, otherwise an aggro-control deck with Green Sun's Zenith and Deathrite Shaman/Exalted Hierarch ramping up to Nemesis instead of casting Delver and/or Goose seems like a good place to start.

I really doubt Lingering Souls is any better than Identity Nemesis, they both die to the same removal but Identity Nemesis doesn't lose tempo vs removal whenever you try to equip Umezawa's Jitte, doesn't lose value vs Deathrite Shaman and is a blue card in deck that's sorely lacking in targets for FoW.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    There are many ways to interact with this card that are available to us in Legacy: Thoughtseize, Inquisition of Kozilek, Daze, Force of Will, Llawan Cephalid Empress, Supreme Verdict and other Wrath of God effects, Terminus, Moat, Runed Halo, Sphere of Safety, Liliana of the Veil, Innocent Blood, Smallpox, Edicts, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale + mana denial, Glacial Chasm, Ensnaring Bridge, Engineered Explosives, Engineered Plague, Golgari Charm, Infest, Pernicious Deed, Night of Souls Betrayal, Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast (while it's on the stack, of course) and a whole host of crappier stuff like No Mercy, Mutilate, Ostracize, Ratchet Bomb, etc.

Frankly that's a pretty big list. And it's bad against combo. I agree that the card is dumb, but our format can definitely handle it.
    Outside the following the cards u listed dont see much play if any at all. Thoughtseize, Inquisition of Kozilek, Daze, Force of Will can answer almost everything in the format except for lands...Supreme Verdict / Terminus are the only cards being played in legacy that answer it once it hits. edict effects are ONLY good if there are no other creatures on his side. That probably wont be the case since this deck promoted mono blue aggro...

Quote Originally Posted by FieryBalrog View Post
    The format can obviously handle it when you consider it in a vacuum; it's a 3 mana 3 power creature. The question is, can the format handle the pile-up of rampant stupidity from the designers as time goes on.
    mono blue aggro will soon be the best deck just you wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    This. UG with Noble Hierarch and stuff? This guy is a tempo decks dream.
    i dont usually like playing decks other than combo, but when i do i like to play tempo, and this card may just bring me back to the tempo side.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

as far as I am concerned, I was uber excited about that card last night. I tried to crunch some numbers and see if it would fit in Merfolks then I stopped.

1- Merfolks is a good deck. I don't see anything that should be cut in preference to a 3/1 for 1 when I can play a lord AND activate a mutavault for the same price.

2- I play elves. Why would I care?

Opinion? Over hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

The only thing missing from this card is the 'it can't be countered' clause.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    The only thing missing from this card is the 'it can't be countered' clause.
    Yeah I mean they did it really well... it could have had "can't be countered" and "Flash".... fair design, this way :D

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayradis View Post
    as far as I am concerned, I was uber excited about that card last night. I tried to crunch some numbers and see if it would fit in Merfolks then I stopped.

1- Merfolks is a good deck. I don't see anything that should be cut in preference to a 3/1 for 1 when I can play a lord AND activate a mutavault for the same price.

2- I play elves. Why would I care?

Opinion? Over hype.
    When that 3/1 equipped with a Jitte make your Wirewood Symbiote useless and kill your whole team, you can come back here and tell us you care.

jk LOL

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Yeah I mean they did it really well... it could have had "can't be countered" and "Flash".... fair design, this way :D

Greetings
    Pshhh! Do you want WotC to emergency errata the thing?

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    When that 3/1 equipped with a Jitte make your Wirewood Symbiote useless and kill your whole team, you can come back here and tell us you care.

jk LOL

Still don't care.
    Elves is a faster deck than Merfolks in all scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Shame the wording, it should have target the player. Leyline of Sanctity would be a funny sb tech.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Still don't care.
    "It does not effect the deck I play so it ok?" I am sorry, that's a really scary way of thinking about this. Because even if this does not effect you THIS TIME, what about the next power creeping card that is breaking something else? You know I play elves too and I do care, I am bothered by this a fair bit.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    Tell me this? DOes a 1 CMC 3/2 flying belong in mono blue?
    No, but at least the instant or sorcery thing has SOME kind of connection.In any case on mistake doesn't justify another.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

In other news...

The sky is falling.

I think it is important to focus on card funtions in deck types this new guy can take over. And a lot of possibilites were already mentioned in this thread. These are the roles I see:

1) Evasive + spot removal immune Equipment carrier for Blade Archetypes (emulating Lingering Souls)
    2) being the hexproof guy in a tempo shell (see Mungo in RUG and Geist in UWR) while holding the fort just like Goyf albeit at a higher mana cost.
    3) I actually dont think he is that awesome in Merfolk since that deck aims to swarm with lord effects and has evasion most of the time anyway. Maybe still good enough, though.

Liliana and Terminus based decks are the only ones that can deal with this guy once he got onto the battlefield.

I would try something like this:
    Grixis-tempo:

4 deathrite
    4 Delver
    3 Young Pyromancer // 2 Lavamancer
    3 I. Nemesis // 4 I. Nemesis

4 Bolt
    2 additional removal
    4 BS
    3 Ponder
    3 Probe
    4 Stifle
    4 Daze
    4 Force (or Therapy?)

4 Waste
    8 Fetch
    6 Duals

Still don't care.
    I feel its max value ends up to be in an Aggro U/x/y deck rather in Merfolk, maybe Delver+Noble Hierarch based.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Lol yeah, why would the pro Elves player care that Jitte got a buff and stuff like Engineered Plague, Golgari Charm and Zealous Persecution will become more popular SB cards...

Obviously this card won't have too much of an impact on most other Combo decks though. But for all other decks I think the impact is quite big. I can easily see more controlling UW decks running this and I would almost certainly play them in blue Nic Fit.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Christ. It's not hard. Nemesis, Goyf, Delver, cantrips, counters, another color for removal, done.

Like you guys know that people play Clique and this card is basically infinitely times superior right?
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Thread Information