Thread: [Premium Article] The History of Vintage: The First Ten Years (1993-2002)

[Premium Article] The History of Vintage: The First Ten Years (1993-2002)

http://www.eternalcentral.com/school...rst-ten-years/

The first ten chapters of my History of Vintage have been compiled into a single download available at a roughly $5 discount over the individual chapters.

If you haven't read this series, now is the perfect chance!

blurb:

The first ten chapters in Vintage expert Stephen Menendian’s acclaimed series, Schools of Magic: History of Vintage, are compiled for the first time, weighing in at over 225 pages of unforgettable history. As Magic crosses its 20th anniversary, players are more curious and nostalgic than ever about the game’s colorful history and remarkable growth. As the game’s oldest sanctioned constructed format, the History of Vintage traces back to the origins of the game and reflects the trends and strategic innovations of the game itself. The format that came into existence with the with the first Banned and Restricted List announcement in January, 1994 continues unabated today known as “Vintage.”

Deepen your appreciation and enjoyment of the game and the Vintage format by learning about the creation of the game and steady evolution of the format known primarily as “Type I.” See how each new set affected the format, and how those developments prompted changes to the Banned and Restricted list. Learn the decks of the era, and recount the tournament victories that shaped the metagame in their original historical context. Using the lens of Robert Hahn’s famous “Schools of Magic,” Stephen identifies six strategic philosophies that continue to inspire players in Vintage today. Stephen has uncovered a hidden and forgotten history with a compelling narrative and interviews. Read about the debates over the format that changed the format, and better appreciate how many of those debates continue today.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: [Premium Article] The History of Vintage: The First Ten Years (1993-2002)

Stephen, I wish you would occasionally post something that is not simply an advertisement. This forum is for the discussion of ideas. You treat it as a billboard. There is nothing for us to discuss on this unless we pay you.

Participate in a discussion, for Pete's sake.

EDIT: I hope you do not respond with a link to some comment you made at some point.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Shouldn't this be in the Vintage format & article discussion, rather than the legacy one? (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/f...mat-Discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    There is nothing for us to discuss on this unless we pay you.

EDIT: I hope you do not respond with a link to some comment you made at some point.
    That's completely untrue. The vast majority of "links" I've posted have been to Free articles this year (Dual land article, 2 Doomsday Puzzles, Rogue Hermit article, etc). Also, I've posted a bunch of tournament announcements from Eudemonia and Top 8 decklists.

IIRC, the only "premium" links I've posted at all this year pertain to this series on the History of Type I.

I really wish this forum would have a separate area for "pay-to-read" articles.

Pay-to-read are the antithesis of free-discussion of MTG on this forum. Isn't discussion of selling cards prohibited from this forum? If that is true, then why are pay-to-read articles given exemption?

If you actually discussed something in your opening post beyond an advertisement I wouldn't have made this post.

Complaining about the cost of premium content is considered off-topic and is against site rules. If you don't want to pay to read it, don't. People that do want to, on the other hand, can use this thread to discuss it. -zilla

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

I'm pretty sympathetic to the ad considering it's a 225 page "article"... but cmon, $20 is still twenty dollars.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    I really wish this forum would have a separate area for "pay-to-read" articles.

Pay-to-read are the antithesis of free-discussion of MTG on this forum. Isn't discussion of selling cards prohibited from this forum? If that is true, then why are pay-to-read articles given exemption?

If you actually discussed something in your opening post beyond an advertisement I wouldn't have made this post.
    This is a kick-ass series. This is a forum for discussion of Legacy and Vintage content. If you don't feel it's relevant to your interests go elsewhere.

Steve has participated in the Doomsday discussion mostly, because that's what he's most familiar with in Legacy. He doesn't really have random thoughts on Maverick or other decks he doesn't play. ;)

Mild flaming removed. -zilla
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

I've only purchased the first 4 chapters (based on my interest in the format), but they were well worth the money. Anyone with a broader interest in the History of Vintage shouldn't be disappointed.
    $20 is a more than a fair price in my mind and is really a drop in the bucket when you consider this hobby.

Thread Information