Thread: Protection and damage can't be prevented effects

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Protection and damage can't be prevented effects

For example, say my opponent has a Kor Firewalker blocking my Goblin Guide. Since Firewalker has pro red, my guide normally won't do damage to him. What I'm concerned about is if the protection effecting is preventing the damage that would be dealt. For example, say I cast a Skullcrack to target my opponent before combat damage. Will the firewalker now take damage?
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Re: Protection and damage can't be prevented effects

Yes protection does in fact prevent damage, so the Firewalker will die.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

http://yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/#R70216

702.16. Protection

702.16e. Any damage that would be dealt by sources that have the stated quality to a permanent or player with protection is prevented.

“It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Thanks! I was unable to look up the rules when this question popped into my mind, so I just had to know.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    http://yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/#R70216

702.16. Protection

702.16e. Any damage that would be dealt by sources that have the stated quality to a permanent or player with protection is prevented.

And prevented damage is never dealt. So you dont get life from lifelink creature. Right?

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Correct.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

So how does this work with True-Name Nemesis and Combust? I assume TNN's protection from player prevents the creature from being a valid target in the first place?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    So how does this work with True-Name Nemesis and Combust? I assume TNN's protection from player prevents the creature from being a valid target in the first place?
    Protection will prevent being targeted. However, if Skullcrack is cast, damage will still be dealt to True-Name Nemesis.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Protection will prevent being targeted. However, if Skullcrack is cast, damage will still be dealt to True-Name Nemesis.
    The damage would be prevented if it could target True name nemesis. Skullcrack only removes the fact that damage can be prevented, not the fact that TNN has protection from you and therefore that you can't target it.

Skullcrack would only be usefull if you cast a damage spell that doesn't target like earthquake, or if one of your creatures is blocked by TNN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    The damage would be prevented if it could target True name nemesis. Skullcrack only removes the fact that damage can be prevented, not the fact that TNN has protection from you and therefore that you can't target it.

Skullcrack would only be usefull if you cast a damage spell that doesn't target like earthquake, or if one of your creatures is blocked by TNN.
    I think the Earthquake would still hit TNN even without the Skullcrack because it doesn't target...

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by trino View Post
    I think the Earthquake would still hit TNN even without the Skullcrack because it doesn't target...
    However earthquake cast from the named source would have its damage prevented by TNN upon resolution

Quote Originally Posted by comp rules
    702.15e Any damage that would be dealt by sources that have the stated quality to a permanent or player with protection is prevented.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I too was saddened at the lack of "can't be prevented" sweeper damage spells. Probably because it would undermine a ton of white pro-red guys, not that the Holy Tommy Gun concept is much of a good one these days.

If one cast Skullcrack just prior to a non-targeted damage spell, such as Volcanic Fallout, that sweeper would deal its damage to True-Name Nemesis, as well as any creatures any player controls that just lost the ability to prevent damage (because, woot, Skullcrack affects all the players. whee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Sep 2011

If there's a creature-based RDW deck worried about getting through TNN, I wonder if Leyline of Punishment would be a good SB strategy. If TNN blocks anything, it just dies. You still can't block it, but I doubt a red aggro deck is worried about being raced by a 3-power 3-drop. Leyline slso stops DRS lifegain, Batterskull lifegain, lots of nasty anti-red things, and is immune to Abrupt Decay. 0-mana permanent skullcrack seems OK.

If there's a creature-based RDW deck worried about getting through TNN, I wonder if Leyline of Punishment would be a good SB strategy. If TNN blocks anything, it just dies. You still can't block it, but I doubt a red aggro deck is worried about being raced by a 3-power 3-drop. Leyline slso stops DRS lifegain, Batterskull lifegain, lots of nasty anti-red things, and is immune to Abrupt Decay. 0-mana permanent skullcrack seems OK.
    A little strategy is OK as long as it's somewhat rules related, but please keep pure strategy discussion to the appropriate forums.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information