Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Chalice of the Void

Oct 2013
    Seattle, WA

[SCD] Chalice of the Void

In a lot of the N&D/Established Decks threads people are crowing over how good Chalice of the Void is against the current meta. Is this the case? If so, why haven't Chalice decks been placing well recently?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: [SCD] Chalice of the Void

Quote Originally Posted by stage View Post
    In a lot of the N&D/Established Decks threads people are crowing over how good Chalice of the Void is against the current meta. Is this the case? If so, why haven't Chalice decks been placing well recently?
    Chalice is extremely good. A turn 1 chalice at 1 counters most of the cards in RUG, for example. The problem is that the deck that you'd need to build to play challice isn't so hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Chalice is extremely good. A turn 1 chalice at 1 counters most of the cards in RUG, for example. The problem is that the deck that you'd need to build to play challice isn't so hot.
    It's less that and more, the issue of playing Chalice makes it very difficult to play the cards that improve a deck's consistency, like cheap cantrip effects. It also comes very close to forcing you to play a Sol-base, which is cold to Wasteland. There are decks that can use Chalice effectively (namely, Turbo Eldrazi - aka 12-Post; and Big Red and Stompy variants plus MUD). Both of those are going to end up less consistent long-term (especially whilst learning to play the deck due to losing out on the 12-cantrips of most combo decks, or the tempo theft of cards like Daze, which also counter Chalice.

Yes, Chalice is a strong card: but it has the issue of reducing overall consistency in the deck it's played in, as you have to either build around it or just say, "To Hell with it!"

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    It's less that and more, the issue of playing Chalice makes it very difficult to play the cards that improve a deck's consistency, like cheap cantrip effects. It also comes very close to forcing you to play a Sol-base, which is cold to Wasteland. There are decks that can use Chalice effectively (namely, Turbo Eldrazi - aka 12-Post; and Big Red and Stompy variants plus MUD). Both of those are going to end up less consistent long-term (especially whilst learning to play the deck due to losing out on the 12-cantrips of most combo decks, or the tempo theft of cards like Daze, which also counter Chalice.

Yes, Chalice is a strong card: but it has the issue of reducing overall consistency in the deck it's played in, as you have to either build around it or just say, "To Hell with it!"
    Not sure 12 Post can use Chalice effectively. Crop Rotation, Top, Expedition Map, Pithing Needle, and Candelabra aren't cards you want to shut off.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Chalice's main problem was always consistency since only Sol-decks could really make effective use of it, while preventing the use of powerful 1-drops of your own. Since the chance for an opening CotV + necessary accelerant is way below 40%, you sacrifice alot of power for one potential blowout, and only if you're on the play.

Chalice is also weaker nowadays for two reasons:

1. Abrupt Decay
    2. Retarded powerful 1-drops in form of DRS and especially Delver. If they can slip one of those into play before your Chalice is online, they'll go a long way to ruin your day. And the worse thing is, due to deck construction, you're probably not running any effective removal like StP or Bolt for them.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

In order for a Legacy deck to be good, you need one of the following:

1) Brainstorm
    2) Deathrite Shaman
    3) AEther Vial

While Chalice at one is great against decks that run the cards above, Chalice decks tend to have horrible draws and a lot of times, it does to itself due to poor mulligans.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

4 Color Loam is a very powerful, decently consistent deck that gets to run Chalice and doesn't have to run Sol Lands. And there is no set card that legacy decks need to run to be good. That is complete and utter horse shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    4 Color Loam is a very powerful, decently consistent deck that gets to run Chalice and doesn't have to run Sol Lands. And there is no set card that legacy decks need to run to be good. That is complete and utter horse shit
    You're right in that assertion. However, the point of Legacy is that there are a lot of decks that are equally as powerful, if not more so because of cards like DRS, Vial and BS. Chalice is an incredible weapon, but it also has a tendency to limit your deck choices more noticeably than any of the aforementioned cards (DRS, Vial and BS, to wit.) DRS has a rider of "Are you playing Black and/or Green?" Vial has a rider of "Are you playing lots of dudes of equal CMC?" BS has a rider of "Are you playing Blue?"

And before you ask, yes, I am aware that those are incredibly simplistic points of view, but they are all pretty relevant comparisons to Chalice.

There's too much emphasis on playing Chalice of the Void on turn one instead of playing Chalice of the Void on turn two, I think the card, be it MD or SB, in Aether Vial/Cavern of Souls decks like Merfolk, Goblins, Death and Taxes or maybe Affinity is pretty solid.

May 2005

For the same reason unpowered Null Rod/Fish decks are terrible in Vintage. You have to play a bunch of bad cards to have a shot at blanking absurdly good cards.

Chalice was at its prime in the Mental Misstep era, in decks like Steel Stompy. After that, it became a fringe card again and has stayed there.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    Chalice was at its prime in the Mental Misstep era, in decks like Steel Stompy. After that, it became a fringe card again and has stayed there.
    Honestly, I think it was already outdated even then. I actually posted an opinion that I thought we should all be sprucing up our Chalice aggro decks at the time, and I tried it. The result was me learning a valuable lesson: The Chalice decks that were reasonably good in days gone by are simply not good enough any more. Even then they weren't. The format has gotten a lot more powerful since the days of Faerie Stompy and Dragon Stompy. MUD is cool. Don't get me wrong. But the guys talking about consistency have it right. The card pulls you very powerfully in its direction. And that direction sux.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I've ceased to play the old school FS because of incosistency isues and also because of Deed and Waste. Now with the printing of Decay CotV became even more vulnerable, but there are still no new tools to play it on turn1 except for Mox Opal.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Consistency for 3 reasons
    1. chalice has to be in your opening hand and this only happens ~40% of the time unless you mulligan aggressively
    2. you have to be on the play. It sucks when your opponent goes first and plays delver and on your turn you COTV @ 1 and then the delver gets there in 4-5 turns
    3. You have to be able to cast it turn one. This means you are playing sol lands (12 at most with a possible crystal vein) chrome mox / mox diamond (never known any deck to play both), or your playing SSG / ESG - other than the lands you are card disadvantaging yourself. Other than accelerating your t1 you probably don't need multiples of chrome mox or ancient tombs.

lets say you're playing a sol land deck with 4 mox. you have a 32% chance of getting COTV and what you need to cast it on t1. so on average once every 3 game match.

in the event that you did land it, most decks it hurts have something to deal with it.

Shardless / jund have abrupt decay / deed krosan grip and possibly others from the board.
    Combo decks have echoing truth / wipe away.
    Red deck wins might have trouble with it but RDW are easy matches to win in general
    D&T / Maverick have flickerwisp, mangara, quasali pridemage

basically against the decks it hurts they'll typically see more answers for it than you will be able to pull it off. Thats not to say its bad, but to make it viable with 30% chance of happening you have to devote a lot of slots to this strategy.

Stax consistency in landing COTV / Trini t1 is around 45-50% and that deck is far from top tier.... 50% of the time you dominate...actually because of FOW its much less than 50%. If you could protect it conveniently it would be much better. But now you are devoting a lot of resources to 1 strategy that does not win the game.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Chalice is an hard lock against X CMC spells (where X is the number of tokens): that's the good part of it. That means that your opponent has to find a solution or be unable to cast that spells.

Usually, playing cov prevents you from playing 1 CMC spells (since you want to prey on them): that's the bad part of it. Moreover it's often played alongside sol-lands which have their disadvantages, but also have advantages.

Ideally you want to play chalice as soon as possible in order to blank all the spells of a certain CMC (let's say 1), but it's not mandatory. Chalice is often playd in decks with plenty of mana and huge creatures (ie wurmcoil engine) which many decks literaly have no way to handle: the most feared card is, in fact, swords to plowshares since it negates your big investment (6 or 7 mana) at the cost of only 1 mana.

So it's still fine to drop a chalice on turn 3 or 4 to protect your next threat, because usually it will be big enough to ignore the board.

It's true that with the printing of AD chalice got weaker, but also note that BG decks lean more on 2 CMC spells than 1: chalice is often sided out against those decks.

The consistency issues are true, not playing manipulation hurts, but there are many successful decks that don't run any either.
    Ignorance is strength

Much of what has been said thus far is retarded. It doesn't have to be played turn one on the play. Is it better turn one on the play? Of course ... what an absurd observation. Mother of Runes is better on the play turn one, so is Goblin Guide. It doesn't have to be played on turn one to be effective if it's blanking your opponents removal, especially if what it's protecting is a 2-3 turn clock. It dies to Abrupt Decay is a fantastic reason to never play 1-2 CMC perms, thanks.

Oct 2005
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    Chalice is an hard lock against X CMC spells (where X is the number of tokens): that's the good part of it. That means that your opponent has to find a solution or be unable to cast that spells.
    X is not 0 unless they cast it for zero.

Chalice is still excellent vs. combo turn 1 and operates to shut off most delver decks as long as they don't turn 1 delver. Its a reasonable sideboard choice.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Some decks like Belcher and SI have an easier time playing around Chalice at 0 because the IMS's can come from non-0 sources like Land Grant and ESG. Also, against ANT, they can go off with Cabal Rituals and 0's if you throw down Chalice at 1. Its not very good anymore because its easy to play around. Even playing SI, where you'd think it would be a silver bullet, its just trash that rarely does anything but set the combo player back a turn or 2.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I mean against Delver, they play delver, you play chalice, you shut down at least 50% of their draws. Kill the delver, proceed with your gamplan while they struggle to find cards that they can even cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The problem most chalice decks have is that they mulligan poorly and cant really recover. In my opinion if you want to play a consistent deck with chalice you should look at U/B Tezzerator. Jace, Tezzeret and Thirst for Knowledge help mitigate the problem and the talismans and signets make hands a lot easier to keep.

Thread Information