Thread: [Brainstorming] RG Ramp

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

[Brainstorming] RG Ramp

It's most likely a terrible idea due to combo (and Miracles), but I'm still wondering:

Ramping with Aether Vial + Satyr Hedonist + Burning-Tree Emissary and maybe Tinder Wall.

Would there be any viable GSZ targets (or Natural Order, for the hell of it) to make use of that kind of extra mana?

Re: [Brainstorming] RG Ramp

Could be okay as an Empty the Warrens + Glimpse of Nature deck.

Jan 2011
    York

Creatures that make mana gsz natural order and glimpse feels like heading towards elves... maybe some type of stompy/superfriends shell with fast mana into a lock piece that ramps to walkers it feels cute I'm trying to wrap my head around what could abuse the plethora of creatures in red/green that store mana or produce on etb there's the alluren and food chain routes as well I just can't imagine how anything would be better then the decks that already abuse any of the cards I or anyone else have mentioned

No love for myr superion? :)

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Try Veteran Explorer.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Oct 2005
    Belchertown, MA

I was working on something like this for Modern. I had hoped to create a storm combo deck that had access to the legal rituals in Modern - Battle Hymn, Infernal Plunge, and Geosurge, and could just beat down if it fizzled. I used Priest of Urabrask, Burning-Tree Emissary, Wild Cantor to bump up storm count. I used turn 1 Magus of the Vineyard to ramp. I used Empty the Warrens, Storm Entity, Goblin Bushwhacker, Fury of the Horde, and Chancellor of the Forge to make big turns happen, but it was really inconsistent. The various red card "draw" (Wild Guess et al) was not good enough, and one Counterspell took the whole thing apart. It would be fun to try in Legacy, and with the Satyr now too. I think a Combo deck with an Aggro plan B could be very interesting. I'm not sure this is what you're thinking of, but if I have time I'll try to cook up a starting point.
    Last edited by ntropy; 10-31-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typos

Oct 2005
    Belchertown, MA

After a lot of circular thinking and remembering my horrible playtesting in Modern - the Storm thing doesn't really work. It's trying to be a storm deck that wins on a different vector, with a different back-up plan, but ETW covers that vector in TES, ANT, and SI, and the back-up aggro plan is so underwhelming that its nowhere near worth replacing the tried and true storm engines of Burning Wish and Infernal Tutor. So scratch that.

My thinking did bring me around to an idea which is probably closer to the OP's idea in the first place. I liked this one enough to try out. I've assembled a Glass Cannon style Natural Order deck capable of a turn 1 Progenitus or Ruric Thar. It's clunky and unreliable, but worth looking at. Here's my first draft:

3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Progenitus
    4 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1 Woodfall Primus
    4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Tinder Wall
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Burning-Tree Emissary
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Land Grant
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Manamorphose
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Natural Order
    3 Dramatic Entrance
    1 Eureka

It's capable of a turn 1 NO or Dramatic Entrance, with turn 1 Tinder Wall, turn 2 NO more likely. It needs GG to do anything, so the red or black rituals are really not very helpful, though both BTE and Manamorphose can turn red into green. the real issue is lack of card filter effects. I'm thinking of running Sylvan Library or Mirri's Guile in the main to push the clock back a turn, but gain the ability to fix a hand that's close or that's been thoughtsiezed. It can produce enough mana to hardcast Ruric, which is cool. If I can get this thing up to a level where I want to start Sideboarding, I'll have access to a sweet toolbox of huge green stuff to bring in. 4 Eurekas are probably the right move, but I'm not gonna spring for them at the moment. They also make games vs Emrakul and Griselbrand harder...not that I'm past the goldfish stage yet. Anyways, thanks to the OP for getting my gears turning on this. I'm having fun!

Thread Information