Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [EDH] Super Smash Bros.

May 2011
    Albany, NY
    Last edited by Davran; 04-24-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Re: [EDH] Super Smash Bros.

Hilarious deck title, bro.

Hammer of Purphoros both grants haste (which is good), and gives you every permanent type you might want. Maybe Heartstone?
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by boneclub24 View Post
    Hilarious deck title, bro.

Hammer of Purphoros both grants haste (which is good), and gives you every permanent type you might want. Maybe Heartstone?
    Hammer of Purphoros is interesting...but is it maybe too expensive? I mean, with Hammer out you're trading 6 mana and a land for something from the opponents...which I'm not entirely convinced is good value. The haste part is certainly relevant, though...so maybe it is worth it after all? I'm not all that sure how proactive this deck will actually be. Smash Bros might be expensive enough to activate that their ability is more useful in response to a Wrath or some removal...so I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Heartstone should probably be in here, although I don't like how symmetrical it is. It's too bad Training Grounds is blue...

Nov 2010
    Seattle

I feel you would mostly be playing it for the haste, and the other ability is just more reason to play it.
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

I never saw this guy on the spoilers; seems like a fun deck. I might have to make something like it :P
    What it takes to be a pimp:
    1. Knowing the right people.
    2. Have the money
    Not one or the other, but both.

The fastest way to become a millionare is to start with a billion dollars, then start collecting magic cards, eh? - dry cereal

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by boneclub24 View Post
    I feel you would mostly be playing it for the haste, and the other ability is just more reason to play it.
    You make a convincing argument. I'm sure one of the standard playing kids around here has one in a trade binder or something...worst case it ends up getting cut later on and I'm out $1.00 in trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by r3dd09 View Post
    I never saw this guy on the spoilers; seems like a fun deck. I might have to make something like it :P
    Yeah, it sort of snuck in there with very little fanfare because it's not nearly as busted as some of the other new legends.

I'm a goblins player at heart, so I almost went goblin tribal as the colors give access to both versions of Wort, and there's something special about a whole pile of mana, Krenko, and the Smash Bros...but I figured I'd try the good stuff approach first. I can always fall back on the little green men...

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    I'm a goblins player at heart
    I hear you man

I've converted from Adun Oakenshield. You should consider Rancor! My list is goblin tribal. Sword of the Meek is better in mine because of all the 1/1's, but it's a passively recurrable artifact for Shattergang to destroy. Aspect of Mongoose is like Rancor, but I am not using it.

My list is 52 goblins along with:

Sol Ring
    Sword of the Meek
    Skullclamp
    Goblin Bombardment
    Survival of the Fittest
    Rancor
    Purphoros, God of the Forge
    Moggcatcher
    Demonic Tutor
    Patriarch's Bidding

Ringleader typically shows 2-3 goblins. There's Kiki/Crafter combo. It's really fun to make Recruiter piles. Patriarch's Bidding choosing goblins...
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 12-21-2013 at 12:49 PM.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I hear you man

I've converted from Adun Oakenshield. You should consider Rancor! My list is goblin tribal. Sword of the Meek is better in mine because of all the 1/1's, but it's a passively recurrable artifact for Shattergang to destroy. Aspect of the Mongoose is like Rancor, but I am not using it.

My list is 52 goblins along with:

Sol Ring
    Sword of the Meek
    Skullclamp
    Goblin Bombardment
    Survival of the Fittest
    Rancor
    Moggcatcher
    Demonic Tutor
    Patriarch's Bidding

Ringleader typically shows 2-3 goblins. There's Kiki/Crafter combo. It's really fun to make Recruiter piles. Patriarch's Bidding choosing goblins...
    Rancor is brilliant. I can't believe I didn't think of it. I also like Sword of the Meek...but it's not the best with my current list unless I can get Nether Traitor/Reassembling Skeleton rolling.

Man...now I just want to brew this as goblin tribal.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Someone pointed out to me tonight that Hammer of Purphoros makes Enchantment Artifact Creatures. So... yeah

Edit - Duh! Looks like Boneclub pointed that out right away...
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 01-09-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I think Wood Elves and Farhaven Elf are better than Farseek and Nature's Lore in your opening post list. I'd even be tempted to look at swapping Kodama's Reach and Cultivate for Yavimaya Granger and Yaviamaya Dryad, although that's not as clear-cut.

Yavimaya Elder should almost certainly be in there somewhere! Seedguide Ash is also pretty good, especially because you have a few extra sacrifice outlets.
    InfoNinjas

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTroll View Post
    I think Wood Elves and Farhaven Elf are better than Farseek and Nature's Lore in your opening post list. I'd even be tempted to look at swapping Kodama's Reach and Cultivate for Yavimaya Granger and Yaviamaya Dryad, although that's not as clear-cut.

Yavimaya Elder should almost certainly be in there somewhere! Seedguide Ash is also pretty good, especially because you have a few extra sacrifice outlets.
    All good suggestions. Yavimaya Elder especially should be here...not sure how I overlooked that one.

The list in the OP definitely could be better, I put it together pretty quickly in anticipation of the new decks. One of these days I'll get around to updating it.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Someone pointed out to me tonight that Hammer of Purphoros makes Enchantment Artifact Creatures. So... yeah

Edit - Duh! Looks like Boneclub pointed that out right away...
    It does indeed, but part of the activation cost is sacrificing a land. I feel like it would be difficult in certain situations to maintain a favorable position to even create the Enchantment Artifact Creature, much less turn around and sacrifice it to Shattergang Brothers?

4RB, sacrifice a land and a creature: Run out of permanents.
    4RR, sacrifice a land and an artifact: Run out of permanents.
    4BG, sacrifice a land and an enchantment: Run out of permanents.

Almost seems better to just ensure that the things you're feeding it are like the kind you're already using; the kind of permanents with LTB effects that either make the commander's mission in life easier, or just do neat things.

If you're into double-duty with your permanents, I wonder if something like Titania's Song is worth the include. However your current setup of artifacts is also not geared towards the heavy end, so you'd be losing their abilities to just control some weird 2/2s. It seems like it would change the deck's curve a lot.

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed would seem to work well with your sacked creatures - with the interesting exception of Eternal Witness, Disciple of Bolas, and Zealous Conscripts; a single Human in each color, and oddly enough they'd be fantastic candidates for the ability. Bummer man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It does indeed, but part of the activation cost is sacrificing a land. I feel like it would be difficult in certain situations to maintain a favorable position to even create the Enchantment Artifact Creature, much less turn around and sacrifice it to Shattergang Brothers?

4RB, sacrifice a land and a creature: Run out of permanents.
    4RR, sacrifice a land and an artifact: Run out of permanents.
    4BG, sacrifice a land and an enchantment: Run out of permanents.

Almost seems better to just ensure that the things you're feeding it are like the kind you're already using; the kind of permanents with LTB effects that either make the commander's mission in life easier, or just do neat things.
    The best part about the Hammer is the haste. The activated ability is just a nice bonus if you really need to kill something.

If you're into double-duty with your permanents, I wonder if something like Titania's Song is worth the include. However your current setup of artifacts is also not geared towards the heavy end, so you'd be losing their abilities to just control some weird 2/2s. It seems like it would change the deck's curve a lot.
    Titiana's Song is cute...but ultimately creatures are the easiest thing to "shatter" for value. The hardest thing to get value out of is enchantments. That's why Rancor is pretty clutch here.

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed would seem to work well with your sacked creatures - with the interesting exception of Eternal Witness, Disciple of Bolas, and Zealous Conscripts; a single Human in each color, and oddly enough they'd be fantastic candidates for the ability. Bummer man.
    Mike is probably worth running regardless. It is interesting that there's a human in each color...I...uh...meant to do that?

I suppose you could also run Trike in here too for the surprise(!) combo finish (not really). Actually, screw that noise. Murderous Redcap seems pretty perfect with Shatter Bros and Mike.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Here's the version of Shattergang Brothers I've been working on for a few weeks. My goal when playing EDH is to always bring a good deck to the table, but never to bring an obnoxious or overpowered deck to the table. I aim to win somewhere between 1/5 to 1/3 of the games (noting that if all of the decks were perfectly balanced, it'd be 1/4 for a large number of games).

Wood Elves
    Farhaven Elf
    Yavimaya Granger
    Yavimaya Dryad
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Ondu Giant

Sylvan Ranger
    Gatecreeper Vine
    Pilgrim's Eye
    Mycosynth Wellspring
    Elvish Visionary
    Wall of Blossoms
    Ichor Wellspring

Artifact Mutation
    Uktabi Orangutan
    Wickerbough Elder
    Indrik Stomphowler
    Acidic Slime

Shriekmaw
    Bone Shredder
    Spitebellows
    Big Game Hunter
    Flametongue Kavu
    Duplicant

Reassembling Skeleton
    Bloodghast
    Squee, Goblin Nabob
    Sprouting Thrinax
    Eternal Witness
    Yavimaya Elder
    Anger
    Nighthowler
    Reaper of the Wilds
    Huntmaster of the Fells
    Precursor Golem
    Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper
    Genesis
    Seedguide Ash
    Thragtusk
    Dragonlair Spider
    Grave Titan
    Deadwood Treefolk
    Hornet Queen
    Woodfall Primus

Pernicious Deed
    Oblivion Stone
    Gaze of Granite

Skullclamp
    Sword of the Meek
    Aspect of Mongoose
    Oversold Cemetery
    Survival of the Fittest
    Night Soil
    Phyrexian Arena
    Grim Feast
    Golgari Germination
    Attrition
    Heartstone
    Grave Pact
    Black Market
    Garruk, Primal Hunter
    Spine of Ish Sah

-----37 Lands-----
    9 Forest
    3 Mountain
    5 Swamp
    Bojuka Bog
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Verdant Catacombs
    Wooded Foothills
    Woodland Cemetery
    Rootbound Crag
    Twilight Mire
    Overgrown Tomb
    Stomping Ground
    Badlands
    Bayou
    Taiga
    Golgari Rot Farm
    Gruul Turf
    Savage Lands
    Command Tower

Tectonic Edge
    Dust Bowl
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Temple of the False God

I think the biggest weakness is how the deck plays without Shattergang Brothers available. I especially like Artifact Mutation and Grim Feast (note that Grim Feast's Oracle wording is "whenever a creature is put into an opponent's graveyard," not just "target opponent.").
    InfoNinjas

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Here's the version of Shattergang Brothers I've been working on for a few weeks.
    I like where you've gone with this list.

One thing I've noticed from my own experience with the deck is that Spine of Ish Sah isn't really all that strong. If you look at it objectively, you're paying 9R to make everyone sacrifice an artifact and destroy some random permanent. If it's Vindicate you want, Maelstrom Pulse is much more mana efficient and comes down much earlier if there's something you need to kill. If it's a "value" artifact you want, Myr Retriever is something that you don't already have that could just be more useful overall.

I think the biggest weakness is how the deck plays without Shattergang Brothers available. I especially like Artifact Mutation and Grim Feast (note that Grim Feast's Oracle wording is "whenever a creature is put into an opponent's graveyard," not just "target opponent.").
    I agree that the deck can be somewhat weak without the Smash Bros. in play...but I also think that it can work out OK without them if you can get your engine going anyway.

Artifact Mutation is a "pet" card of mine that I definitely overlooked for this deck.

As for Grim Feast, I've been meaning to pick one up for a while now. I'm a big fan of passive effects that grant some sort of advantage over the game (Oversold Cemetery is another favorite) because they can help balance your board position in a multiplayer setting.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I really like Artifact Mutation here. There's always at least a Sword of X and Y to hit and there's often something critically important to destroy. The bodies chump block and sac to Shattergang.

I am not yet sure if Black Market will be excellent or overkill. I figure it will help recast Shattergang after they've been destroyed a few times, or cast Spine of Ish Sah. I'll hunt for something better than the Spine.

I am not super impressed with Hammer of Purphoros. Haste isn't super important, and although it makes Artifact Enchantment Creatures the cost of sacrificing lands is really steep.

Note that both Shriekmaw and Spitebellows work really well with Shattergang Brothers, but you have to be careful with the triggers.

Shriekmaw:
    Cast for evoke cost.
    Sacrifice and Terror triggers go on the stack. Put sacrifice trigger below Terror trigger.
    Let Terror trigger resolve.
    Activate Shattergang Brothers, sacrificing Shriekmaw.

Spitebellows:
    Cast for evoke cost.
    Sacrifice trigger goes on the stack.
    Activate Shattergang Brothers, sacrificing Spitebellows, putting "opponents sacrifice a creature" on the stack.
    Spitebellows leaves-the-battlefield ability triggers and goes on the stack.
    InfoNinjas

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Do you still have this deck together?
    I think I am going to hijack your thread cause I am loving my list.

Last night I started a 1v1 game off with Cavern of Souls, Aether Vial, go.
    Later my Ringleader naturally showed 4 goblins.
    My opponent had a Dissipation Field out. I took advantage of my Vial@4 a few turns until he assembled Ghostly Prison, Teferi's Moat, and Story Circle...

After he played the Circle, I kicked Goblin Ruinblaster and took another land with Strip Mine. He scooped once Kiki-Jiki, Mirrorbreaker and Goblin Settler made it clear he would never be able to activate his Story Circle.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Do you still have this deck together?
    I think I am going to hijack your thread cause I am loving my list.

Last night I started a 1v1 game off with Cavern of Souls, Aether Vial, go.
    Later my Ringleader naturally showed 4 goblins.
    My opponent had a Dissipation Field out. I took advantage of my Vial@4 a few turns until he assembled Ghostly Prison, Teferi's Moat, and Story Circle...

After he played the Circle, I kicked Goblin Ruinblaster and took another land with Strip Mine. He scooped once Kiki-Jiki, Mirrorbreaker and Goblin Settler made it clear he would never be able to activate his Story Circle.
    Hijack away. I've been looking for a Goblin Recruiter, Goblin Settler and a few other random goblins for a while now, I really want to give your version a try. No one seems to have Beetleback Chiefs, either. I was cruising bulk bins at PAXEast last week for just this purpose which netted me a Lightning Crafter and Moggcatcher...but the rest remain elusive.

I noticed that you don't have Tar Pitcher in your list - too low impact? Sparksmith is a thing too...I'm not sure if it's a good thing, but it is a thing.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Yeah, Tar Pitcher got outclassed by other options at the 4 slot. Sparksmith could be good, but I suspect he'd often deal more damage to me than the creature I'm targeting.

The idea is to keep the goblin count as high as possible.

Shattergang Brothers

52 Goblins

10 Non-Goblin
    Aether Vial
    Rancor
    Skullclamp
    Goblin Bombardment
    Demonic Tutor
    Survival of the Fittest
    Hammer of Purphoros
    Moggcatcher
    Patriarch's Bidding

37 Lands
    8 Mountains
    Taiga
    Badlands
    Stomping Ground
    Blood Crypt
    Savage Lands
    Command Tower
    Reflecting Pool
    Cavern of Souls
    Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    Auntie's Hovel
    Dragonskull Summit
    Graven Cairns
    Temple of Malice
    Grove of the Burnwillows
    Rootbound Crag
    Temple of Abandon
    Fire-Lit Thicket
    Great Furnace
    Pendelhaven
    Strip Mine
    Mutavault
    Contested War Zone
    Kessig Wolf Run
    Goblin Burrows

Swamp
    Raging Ravine
    Lavaclaw Reaches
    Kazandu Refuge
    Akoum Refuge

The mana base has proven difficult to perfect, but I'm almost there. I'd like to replace the last 5 lands listed with Tree of Tales, Vault of Whispers, City of Brass, Mana Confluence, and Wasteland.

Shattergang Brothers (the card) allows me to switch to 'control mode' if necessary. I will generally have enough creatures to sack to weaken my opponent's board when needed. The proposed changes to the mana base will hopefully let me control the artifacts on board a little better. Enchantments are pretty safe unless I find Rancor.

Board wipes are tough to recover from. The deck sets up a pretty quick clock though.

87% of the goblins that can be foil are. I still need a King, Pyromancer, Matron, Gorger, Incinerator, and Boggart Mob.

Thread Information