Thread: Shardless BUG or Sneak Attack

Shardless BUG or Sneak Attack

in a meta where I was expecting a non-negligible amount of Dredge, Death & Taxes, opposing S&T strategies and some Stoneblade, which of those two decks would you say is the better choice?

For the sideboard I'd pack some amount of blood moons, firespouts, bounce and grave-hate in the Sneak Attack and some combination of Hymns, Thoughtseizes, Pernicious Deed a Maelstrom Pulse and some Grave Hate.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Shardless BUG or Sneak Attack

Mono White Stax
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

sadly I don't have the cards for that deck. I've got a full Sneak Attack, UW Miracles, Shardless BUG, GB Rock, Esper Stoneblade, UWR Delver

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Seems like realistically you have every expensive staple other than LEDs then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Seems like realistically you have every expensive staple other than LEDs then.
    mostly, but I don't have humilities, ghostly prisons etc

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Sneak Attack is the much better deck overall, but I wouldn't want to run it in a field with a lot of Death and Taxes or other Show and Tell decks.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Sneak Attack is the much better deck overall, but I wouldn't want to run it in a field with a lot of Death and Taxes or other Show and Tell decks.
    I wouldn't want to play Shardless BUG against D&T, Sneak & Show, or Drege, either though. Honestly, I might be inclined to play Big Red if I were going to play a Sneak Attack deck. Trinisphere can shut down Dredge pretty well at least long enough where you should be able to combo and win, you're the Sneak attack deck not playing Show and Tell, so that should help against those decks, and you have maindeck bloodmoons for stoneblade. D&T might still be an issue, I'm not too familiar with how Sneak Attack vs. D&T goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jamis View Post
    I wouldn't want to play Shardless BUG against D&T, Sneak & Show, or Drege, either though. Honestly, I might be inclined to play Big Red if I were going to play a Sneak Attack deck. Trinisphere can shut down Dredge pretty well at least long enough where you should be able to combo and win, you're the Sneak attack deck not playing Show and Tell, so that should help against those decks, and you have maindeck bloodmoons for stoneblade. D&T might still be an issue, I'm not too familiar with how Sneak Attack vs. D&T goes.
    sadly I've sold my trinispheres =( I haven't played against D&T that much, but show and tell is pretty cold against them, since they can put mangara or karakas into play and just screw you over. They also have revokers for Sneak Attack and Griselbrand.

What would you suggest I build for the tournament`?
    Last edited by Tenbin; 10-31-2013 at 06:43 PM.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Which have you had more experience with? Often times it just comes down to making the least amount of mistakes.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

This discussion belongs in the "What Should I Play In My Metagame?" thread. It's stickied about five threads above this one.

As to what you should build, how about Deathblade or Esper Stoneblade with enough SB grave hate to beat the Dredge players?

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    This discussion belongs in the "What Should I Play In My Metagame?" thread. It's stickied about five threads above this one.

As to what you should build, how about Deathblade or Esper Stoneblade with enough SB grave hate to beat the Dredge players?
    Right you are. I feel dumb as shit now; I blame the late hour :P. Does stoneblade really fare well against S&T?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbin View Post
    Right you are. I feel dumb as shit now; I blame the late hour :P. Does stoneblade really fare well against S&T?
    No, it doesn't.

Alternatively, you can try something similar to Reid Duke's Bant list, but prepare a bit more for the Death and Taxes players in the room. The matchups against Sneak Attack, Dredge, and Stoneblade are very strong.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    No, it doesn't.

Alternatively, you can try something similar to Reid Duke's Bant list, but prepare a bit more for the Death and Taxes players in the room. The matchups against Sneak Attack, Dredge, and Stoneblade are very strong.
    Yea the bant deck can beat sneak attack, dredge and stoneblade fairly easily. You even have a good game against death and taxes.

It will have problems against elves and maverick.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

I wouldn't say Bant beats Dredge easily. LED Dredge should handle it fairly easily.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    I wouldn't say Bant beats Dredge easily. LED Dredge should handle it fairly easily.
    There are several people in my local store (including myself on occasion) who play Bant. It's something similar to Reid Duke's list, although with more emphasis on the Green Sun's Zenith package and no Stoneforge Mystics.

The combination of Zenith, Ooze, Knight (into Bojuka Bog), and Teeg make it very difficult for Dredge to win the late game, but it still has the counterspells and removal package to contend with in the early game. The sideboard doesn't have any cards dedicated to Dredge, but the further addition of cards like Meddling Mage, Envelop, and Engineered Explosives (in some lists) are brought in, replacing chaff like Qasali Pridemage and Jace.

In the collective experience of our local store, including those that play both Bant and Dredge, the Bant matchup is probably Dredge's worst among decks that don't pack dedicated gravehate: even more so than faster combo decks like Reanimator or Storm.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Except all those are slow as balls. Sure you have FoW to slow me down but I have LED or Breakthrough to just win on the spot. I'm not sure what kind of Dredge players are at your store, no offense. Plus I thought we were talking about Reid's list, which loses AT LEAST 8 out of 10 games against LED Dredge.

Reanimator is 10 times worse, I don't know what you're talking about.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Thread Information