Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Magic - the Cheatering

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Magic - the Cheatering

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    What happened? Internet tells me nothing new.
    I don't know, but it sure seems it was about damn time...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    What happened? Internet tells me nothing new.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...nned_for_life/

Looks like there is nothing definitive. Apparently he gave a talk at a judge conference about cheating and someone also mentioned that he fetched a hardened scales with an ancient stirrings at some small event.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

As a player in the event he got his DQ at that got him banned, I can tell everyone exactly what happened.
    This happened at my LGS.
    He was playing against a friend of mine who is new to Modern (and who told him they were new). He cast Ancient Stirrings and revealed Hardened Scales. My friend was shocked and told him he couldn't do that. He did the "oops made a mistake" and, without calling a judge, took the bottom 4 cards and selected something else.
    My friend was so flabbergasted that they finished the match without calling a judge themselves. Afterwards, when they told me the story, I urged them to tell the judge anyway, which they did. In the subsequent investigation, Bertoncini lied to the judge about the sequence of events, which is what got him disqualified.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...7i&sh=4ae900b7

something else for the fun

https://clips.twitch.tv/WealthyRelievedPeppermintOpieOP
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Wow, that was smooth as shit. 'Crap, I'm one mana short...checkin' dat graveyard again...BOOM!'
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Hasn't that guy been banned/investigated for stuff before? It's a fucking joke. I honestly wonder how often I've been cheated at events because I've never caught anyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Wow, that was smooth as shit. 'Crap, I'm one mana short...checkin' dat graveyard again...BOOM!'
    Pretty much. I don't know if I should be impressed or disgusted.

But as long as WotC has such a forgiving stance to cheaters, nothing is going to change. Penalities for cheating should be much harsher and repeated offenders should get a lifetime ban at the second offense already, not some horseshit like the whole Bertoncini showed.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    That one was nice. Underlines my repeated point that cheating is at least as important as playskill to secure top table finishes in events.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/...ion-2019-01-12

Quote Originally Posted by Head Judge Emilien Wild
    Sato was planning what was going to be his last attack of the current game. He went to declare attackers and then noticed that he forgot to play his land for the turn, a land that he needed for his attack to work out. He didn't acknowledge this fact and didn't ask for permission to back up to his main phase, but instead he just placed the land onto the battlefield and finished declaring his attackers.
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ato-2019-01-18

Quote Originally Posted by WotC
    After a thorough review of the events leading up to his disqualification, the Player Investigations Committee determined that Sato's disqualification was valid, that the actions were opportunistic, but not premeditated nor intended to deceive his opponent. The Player Investigation Committee recommended an official warning; Sato will not be suspended from the DCI.

Absolute trash.

it really makes me wonder how vigilantly I should be watching my opponents at the higher tables and later rounds of big tournaments. I get the feeling that a lot of these "pros" you face will definitely try to stretch the rules to their advantage.

Although to be fair the few "pros" I've played against didn't really seem to be doing anything shady.

I did have a bad experience playing against Dan Ward once at an SCG Open though. That guy tries to play some serious mind games to distract you and intimidate you.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    it really makes me wonder how vigilantly I should be watching my opponents at the higher tables and later rounds of big tournaments. I get the feeling that a lot of these "pros" you face will definitely try to stretch the rules to their advantage.

Although to be fair the few "pros" I've played against didn't really seem to be doing anything shady.

I did have a bad experience playing against Dan Ward once at an SCG Open though. That guy tries to play some serious mind games to distract you and intimidate you.
    Mind games are not technically speaking cheating as long as what they say is not missrepresenting the board state and not insulting / Harrassing.
    However, it is often hard to tell what is the limit between small chatter that is unpleasant and insults / harrassment.
    I've Watched and heard stories about a French player Remi Fortier that is usually allways trying gain advantage by making you tilt. The rule is allways call a judge. If you are the third player of the day doing it vs someone maybe the judge will consider it and issue a warning. If you are the first one, well, maybe nothing will happen because those guys are usually strong at what they do and will find the logical arguments not to get a warning, but it will at least be useful for other players.

Thread Information