Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic - the Cheatering

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Re: Magic - the Cheatering

A Stephen Specks was caught palming 7 cards after his opponent counted a 53 card deck that was presented. When the judges came over, they found the 7 missing cards in Mr. Specks sideboard and those 7 cards just happen to be a very good opening hand.

Mr. Specks was also known for having 5+ turn 1 kills at a Modern GP playing Bloom Titan and along with some other shady things like not knowing how Pact of Negation worked with Hive Mind when an opponent casts a spell. Basically running hot with a skill intensive deck by avoiding the skill part with lots of "lucky" turn 1 wins.
    Thus, several players at this ongoing PT decided to keep a watchful eye on him if they ever had to play him.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

How can you get T1 kills with Bloom Titan? Running Simian Spirit Guide?

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    How can you get T1 kills with Bloom Titan? Running Simian Spirit Guide?
    Yes.
    Exile SSG, cast Amulet of Vigor.
    Play Simic Growth Chamber, float UG after Amulet of Vigor trigger.
    Cast Summer Bloom.
    Play Simic Growth Chamber three times to float UUUGGG off of AoV triggers.
    Cast Hive Mind and resolve it.
    Cast Summoner's Pact.
    Win on your opponent's upkeep.

Repeat several times to top 8 a GP.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    Yes.
    Exile SSG, cast Amulet of Vigor.
    Play Simic Growth Chamber, float UG after Amulet of Vigor trigger.
    Cast Summer Bloom.
    Play Simic Growth Chamber three times to float UUUGGG off of AoV triggers.
    Cast Hive Mind and resolve it.
    Cast Summoner's Pact.
    Win on your opponent's upkeep.

Repeat several times to top 8 a GP.
    He made the finals of one GP and top 8'd the next Modern GP, with a lot of success at Modern PIQs, despite demonstrating a poor understanding of how his deck worked. I know he killed my friend on turn 1 and turn 2 in the match they played. The easiest way to obtain a lot of of success with a powerful, high variance deck is to eliminate variance from the equation. Wouldn't it be great if you could consistently kill someone on turn one with a combo that requires six specific cards, some of which don't even occur as 4-ofs?

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Just read what was going on:

- As for Chapin, he played 2 lands in one turn
    That game was complex and Chapin made a few mistakes, including forgetting the scrye on a Read The Bones that turn and the Ajani error later on. Neither of those was really cheating, and the fluster of what happened with the Read The Bones was probably a large factor in playing the second land (unintentionally). He looked flustered and not like a cheater.... like the video linked in the next round with the Temple pick up.

it continues ... pretty savage. Think about the average barnacle desperate to Q in the first place, I can't imagine PPTQs and PTQs they must be rife with people cheating fish left and right.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

The full video of Chapin playing 2 lands in a turn in Game 3, along with an Elspeth that the second land allowed him to cast (illegally), and take control of the game from that point.
    http://i.imgur.com/8M6wn4e.gifv

I guess it's only fitting he would get a game loss for a different game rules violation later in the same game (and subsequently lose the match). But I guess a lot of people brush this off because he's Pat Chapin, who most people like.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by JACO View Post
    I guess it's only fitting he would get a game loss for a different game rules violation later in the same game (and subsequently lose the match). But I guess a lot of people brush this off because he's Pat Chapin, who most people like.
    What was the game loss for?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    it continues ... pretty savage. Think about the average barnacle desperate to Q in the first place, I can't imagine PPTQs and PTQs they must be rife with people cheating fish left and right.
    The sad thing is, with Dig in hand and that board state, he had no reason to cheat at all. Some cheats I just do not understand, like Jon Elden with Batterskull even though he had a Stoneforge in hand...
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

The sad thing is, with Dig in hand and that board state, he had no reason to cheat at all. Some cheats I just do not understand, like Jon Elden with Batterskull even though he had a Stoneforge in hand...
    Or Bertoncini cheating twice in the same game with Brainstorm after he had already won.

edit: I just watched Jon Eldon's move. Holy shit.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Wow; Valdivia is so brazen with that I hope he gets a ban as I can not see how you can pass that up as a "mistake". Chapin's double-land could be a mistake but it does not seem like the sort of error a player at his level should be making. I think giving him a six-month ban would be a good message to send the community.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Chapin's double-land could be a mistake but it does not seem like the sort of error a player at his level should be making. I think giving him a six-month ban would be a good message to send the community.
    That sounds like it would send a terrible message.

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Wow; Valdivia is so brazen with that I hope he gets a ban as I can not see how you can pass that up as a "mistake". Chapin's double-land could be a mistake but it does not seem like the sort of error a player at his level should be making. I think giving him a six-month ban would be a good message to send the community.
    You have to be Bertoncini-level sloppy to get a suspension for accumulated warnings.

Playing a second land happens accidentally all the time. If you wanted a suspension for that, you'd be suspending a quarter of the PT.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Yes, I have done it myself quite a few times. It's gotten to the point were I keep tokens to count my land drops.

Playing Modern one week I started my turn, got called away for a ruling, came back and restarted my turn drawing a second card for the turn. That shit just happens sometimes, it's not always cheating.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I accidentally played an extra land on camera a few months ago. Guess I'll enjoy my 6 month ban despite not having any warnings prior on my record
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by JACO View Post
    I saw a couple high level judges (3+) tweeting while he was arguing his case that he'd argued enough that he should have also received a warning for Unsportsmanlike Contact - Minor for how much he was arguing / not letting it go.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I saw a couple high level judges (3+) tweeting while he was arguing his case that he'd argued enough that he should have also received a warning for Unsportsmanlike Contact - Minor for how much he was arguing / not letting it go.
    Don't you think it was clearly an error?
    We even know that he draw the right type of card because it was recorded and watched by many people keeping track of chapin's cards. I can understand he was arguing.
    To be honest, I was really upset that he lost a game like that (not because he is Chapin, but only because we knew that even if he did not show the card, it was a legal card)... Knowing that he played 2 lands this turn, I'm not upset anymore.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    To be honest, I was really upset that he lost a game like that (not because he is Chapin, but only because we knew that even if he did not show the card, it was a legal card)... Knowing that he played 2 lands this turn, I'm not upset anymore.
    These are two unrelated incidents. Also, what cdr said: people make mistakes all the time. I don't remember where I read, but arguing about this someone said that, in the context of this game, people make decisions based on what they think benefits them the most. Thus, if someone takes an illegal action, it's almost always to their benefit.

Take this example: Player A Bolts a 2/3 Tarmogoyf with sorcery and land in the graveyard, expecting to kill it. If Player B knows that Bolt will grow the Goyf before it can die, people will say Player A played badly. Now, if Player B doesn't know, people will say Player A cheated. Now, did Player cast the Bolt looking to kill the Goyf? Of course he did. But that doesn't make him a cheater.

People make all kinds of mistakes all the time. Last year, Jon Finkel played to lands in one turn on camera. Do you think he cheated there? Do you think LSV cheated drawing extra cards against Sam Black on camera when playing Elves in Legacy?
    This is no different than people commenting on how badly featured players are playing. The game you see on camera is completely different than the one either player is playing.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Not a judge but this was embarrassing and I agree. Chapin should know better. The definition of drawing extra cards has been codified for years. "The head judge's ruling is final" is announced at the beginning of every tournament. I think he thought because he's the self-styled "innovator" he should get a pass. Same reason Tom Brady yaps to the refs, or why Gretzky and Jordan did. It's a poor example to set for other players either way.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

Yes, I have done it myself quite a few times. It's gotten to the point were I keep tokens to count my land drops.

Playing Modern one week I started my turn, got called away for a ruling, came back and restarted my turn drawing a second card for the turn. That shit just happens sometimes, it's not always cheating.
    Well, by definition it is cheating just not intentional cheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information