Thread: LPrize: Community-Incentivized Deckbuilding Innovation

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

LPrize: Community-Incentivized Deckbuilding Innovation

I awoke from a sleep, following a questionable cocktail of Mexican food and imperial stout, and my body cried out, not only in anguish as expected, but to direct me to apply principles of the XPrize and Kickstarter to Legacy MtG.

Consider a problem. I want to play Root Maze in a Legacy deck, but I'm as talentless in deckbuilding as I am in every other artistic endeavor. Oh, but I so want lands and artifacts to enter the battlefield tapped and to feel like I'm taking part in the creative community. And I'd gladly have $5 sucked out of my wallet if it meant there was a viable deck with it for me to try.

What if crowdfunded deckbuilding/tournament placing challenges could be created? For instance, a challenge posted on The Source that allowed for people (others with the same pet card or just benefactors who like to challenge others) to chip in with a Donate button or something to reward the first person to, say, Top 16 a tournament of at least 100 people with a deck including at least 3 of a particular card. If enough people throw in dollars and get it to a minimum, say $50, that money will be pledged until the contest is over by a finish line date. If someone succeeds, they get even more tournament winnings and we have a new deck. If no one succeeds, pledges go unclaimed.

Think people would be into such a thing or should I never voice ideas that I get after Mexican food and dark beer again?
    Last edited by Scott; 11-10-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Re: LPrize: Community-Incentivized Deckbuilding Innovation

So what you are saying is I want to win with a crappy ass card...and not only that I want someone else to do it for me since I suck at magic anyways. Root maze is a crappy card, if it was not a crappy card then it would be played more. I do know a person once who tried to use it but he came in 17th of a 16 man tournament.

Almost every magic deck is already crowd-sourced, hence years of play-testing and 300 page threads on the optimum configuration.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Turner View Post
    So what you are saying is I want to win with a crappy ass card...and not only that I want someone else to do it for me since I suck at magic anyways.
    Yes. Unfortunately, I have no prize to offer you for your reading comprehension. FWIW, that was just an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Turner View Post
    Almost every magic deck is already crowd-sourced, hence years of play-testing and 300 page threads on the optimum configuration.
    I'm totally fine with my idea being crappy, but I'm talking about crowd-funding, not crowd-sourcing--AKA the hive mind--ideas. Big difference.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    What if crowdfunded deckbuilding/tournament placing challenges could be created? For instance, a challenge posted on The Source that allowed for people (others with the same pet card or just benefactors who like to challenge others) to chip in with a Donate button or something to reward the first person to, say, Top 16 a tournament of at least 100 people with a deck including at least 3 of a particular card.
    Play Belcher, put said cards in your sideboard, profit.

Thread Information