Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheating or clever use of the rules?

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Re: Cheating or clever use of the rules?

Chalice of the Void creates kind of a unique and awkward situation regarding missed triggers. Under the current rules, playing a spell which would be countered by the Chalice in hopes that your opponent will miss their trigger is fully legal. The only thing that makes it cheating is if you try to somehow manipulate your opponent to missing the trigger.

I think it's important when you're playing a deck that includes cards that have these types of triggers (e.g. Chalice of the Void, Nether Void, Counterbalance, etc.) that you have a firm grasp on the rules and also a proper vocabulary to correctly explain any shady situations to a judge. In the example of the OP, if I were the controller of hte Chalice, I would have called a judge and explained the situation by stating that no verbal or clear non-verbal indicator was made to show the passing of priority after my opponent cast Crop Rotation. Furthermore, my opponent had previously asked a judge if they could "speed through" their actions to circumvent the Chalice trigger and had been advised that they could not. As such, I believe that my opponent is intentionally trying to bypass my trigger, which is using the game rules in a deceptive way to gain an advantage, which I believe constitutes deliberate cheating.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

To put it mildly, I don't think there's a place in Magic for those shenanigans.

For full disclosure though, after the missed trigger rules changed, I was also locked out by a Chalice on 1 and needed to resolve a Brainstorm to get my Terminus back onto the top of my deck. I patiently waited until my opponent had lethal on board when I cast Brainstorm on his end step. I paused and asked, "resolves?" My opponent said okay, at which point I drew my first card. About a second later, my opponent said, "no wait, Chalice!"

I called a judge, not to rules lawyer him, but because I didn't know what to do after having drawn my first card. The judge told me to just put a card back at random, which was actually favorable for me because it gave me a small chance to put back the Terminus, even though I told him which blank I had ripped off the top.

Do you guys think playing into Chalice was an appropriate move on my part? My out was hoping my opponent forgot his trigger, I gave him a chance to acknowledge the trigger, and even after starting to resolve my Brainstorm, I rewinded the action as much as I could when he remembered. This is the first and only time I tried it, but I wanted to make sure that the new rules allow us to attempt this.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post

For full disclosure though, after the missed trigger rules changed, I was also locked out by a Chalice on 1 and needed to resolve a Brainstorm to get my Terminus back onto the top of my deck. I patiently waited until my opponent had lethal on board when I cast Brainstorm on his end step. I paused and asked, "resolves?" My opponent said okay, at which point I drew my first card. About a second later, my opponent said, "no wait, Chalice!"

I called a judge, not to rules lawyer him, but because I didn't know what to do after having drawn my first card. The judge told me to just put a card back at random, which was actually favorable for me because it gave me a small chance to put back the Terminus, even though I told him which blank I had ripped off the top.

Do you guys think playing into Chalice was an appropriate move on my part? My out was hoping my opponent forgot his trigger, I gave him a chance to acknowledge the trigger, and even after starting to resolve my Brainstorm, I rewinded the action as much as I could when he remembered. This is the first and only time I tried it, but I wanted to make sure that the new rules allow us to attempt this.
    I'm really surprised you had to put a card back. Brainstorm should have resolved after what is clear to me was a missed trigger
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post

I would actually not agree with the ruling of the judge. There is no rule against playing your spells into chalice fully knowing they will get countered if your opponent remembers his triggered ability. In your scenario the moment you asked if your spell resolved and your opponent said okay it is obvious that he didn't triggered his chalice. Since it is not your job to keep track of you opponents triggered abilities imo the spell should resolve as normal. It is even worse to reverse the action by putting back a random card if the card drawn can still be 'identified' by both players.

EDIT: ninja'd by Tammit, I'm clearly to slow
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

What a douche!

I am a bit naive and also a pretty poor player, which makes it easy for me to maintain morale high ground (since i'd rarely win even if i let my sportsmanship slip a bit in order to benefit). I still consider magic to be gentleman's sport in which both players have some responsibility to maintain correct game state even if tournament rules say differently at the moment.
    I'd never play into chalice hoping opponent would miss trigger. I think there is quite a difference between opponent missing a trigger from something i did knowing it would only work if he misses it and him missing a trigger for one of his own actions.
    Him forgetting to put a counter on lorescale coatl for drawing a card and both of us realizing it after combat and him suffering the consquences then is OK.
    casting a CMC1 spell into chalice hoping he will forget to say it will be countered when i pass priority is NOT.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    casting a CMC1 spell into chalice hoping he will forget to say it will be countered when i pass priority is NOT.
    Why? I always feel the better player should win. The better player will play to his outs.

The scenario you describe has nothing to do with bad sportsmanship or not being a gentleman. People only feel that way about it because before the rules changes, playing a spell into Chalice hoping your opponent would not recognize it was actually a scummy move that would get you DQ'ed. These day's it's a legitimate out. I also liked the old system way better but that's a totally different issue here. Note that this has nothing to do with what Rock Lee was doing - if it's true what was said here, he was drawing extra cards which should definitely be a game loss if not even a suspension if done on purpose.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Plenty of reasons to run something into Chalice, Tarmogoyf, hit threshold, trigger Vengevines. Playing hyperfast to subvert your opponent is cheating. The same could be said for hyperstorming without giving an opponent a chance to use countermagic.

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    I am a bit naive and also a pretty poor player, which makes it easy for me to maintain morale high ground (since i'd rarely win even if i let my sportsmanship slip a bit in order to benefit). I still consider magic to be gentleman's sport in which both players have some responsibility to maintain correct game state even if tournament rules say differently at the moment.
    I'd never play into chalice hoping opponent would miss trigger. I think there is quite a difference between opponent missing a trigger from something i did knowing it would only work if he misses it and him missing a trigger for one of his own actions.
    Him forgetting to put a counter on lorescale coatl for drawing a card and both of us realizing it after combat and him suffering the consquences then is OK.
    They're fundamentally the same thing, why is it ok in one area but not another? Chalice isn't a state based effect, it's like Counterbalance in that you have to acknowledge the counter occurs, and if you're playing Chalice like I have in the past, you should be real fucking adamant about knowing what is and is not countered.

I leave my chalices up front, directly in my line of sight with the opponent at all times--I know some people leave things like Sylvan Libraries and Chalices on the side, don't do this, they're more important than the rest of your board, focus on them, don't miss the triggers.

Playing a 1 cmc spell into a flustered opponent hoping he will forget the trigger is no different than hoping your flustered opponent will make poor attacks or make a misplay, this is totally fine, and it's not unreasonable to disguise plays in such a way to make the opponent misplay.

It's like saying keeping your Verdant Catacombs up to fetch Dryad Arbor in response to a Liliana's -2 sac ability isn't ok because it's not what the opponent wanted to happen..If he was thinking clearly, it wouldn't have happened. Much like Chalice.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

His action was the exact definition of cheating

The definition of cheating follows

act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination.

Furthermore if any of the actions could alternatively be described by any of the following its probably cheating too.

synonyms: swindle, defraud, deceive, trick, scam, dupe, hoodwink, double-cross, gull
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post

synonyms: swindle, defraud, deceive, trick, scam, dupe, hoodwink, double-cross, gull
    These all sound like blue cards to me.

Back to the topic, I would hate to be that Chalice player. I would definitely call a judge on that. Permission does still exist in the format and before a spell resolves, the non active player does have time to react to it. Unless he/she says it resolves, it hasn't resolved yet.

Picking up your library because you flashed a Brainstorm might get away with a warning but doing it a again with Crop Rotation, it's either you're a really with triggers or you're cheating.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

The fact that his opponent was registering the chalice triggers right after he was casting the spells makes it pretty clear his opponent knew what was going on
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I'll be bringing up this specific scenario at the Judge Conference during the Legacy Rules Primer seminar at GP:DC. This is totally unacceptable.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I'll be bringing up this specific scenario at the Judge Conference during the Legacy Rules Primer seminar at GP:DC. This is totally unacceptable.
    Based on the description the OP provided (nevermind if it actually happened, let's assume it's accurate); how would the ruling not be Game loss for the Crop Rotation player?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I have another example of "cheating".

I was playing sneak and show against a shard less player. opponent suspends an ancestral vision and drops an ensnaring bridge. i cast blood moon a 2 turns later and stick a griselbrand the turn after. Opponents ancestral vision "somehow" stops loosing counters when he realizes that griselbrand can attack if he has 7 cards in hand. Several turns pass and his hand fills one by 1 and he continues to miss the trigger. I finally notice and call a judge expecting him to get a game loss for this blatantly obvious intentional cheating. He gets a warning and forced to resolve the visions.

Stuff like this shouldn't be happening. The through process behind it is ...."if i can miss the trigger without my opponent catching on I can gain advantage. When he catches it theres no penalty for me.

I feel like if there were harsher penalties people wouldn't be tempted to manipulate the rules.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I have another example of "cheating".

I was playing sneak and show against a shard less player. opponent suspends an ancestral vision and drops an ensnaring bridge. i cast blood moon a 2 turns later and stick a griselbrand the turn after. Opponents ancestral vision "somehow" stops loosing counters when he realizes that griselbrand can attack if he has 7 cards in hand. Several turns pass and his hand fills one by 1 and he continues to miss the trigger. I finally notice and call a judge expecting him to get a game loss for this blatantly obvious intentional cheating. He gets a warning and forced to resolve the visions.

Stuff like this shouldn't be happening. The through process behind it is ...."if i can miss the trigger without my opponent catching on I can gain advantage. When he catches it theres no penalty for me.
    Generally, a warning is the typical penalty for missed triggers and GRV's. Repeated offenses in the same vein will escalate. You pretty much get a warning first before anything more serious gets penalized.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Generally, a warning is the typical penalty for missed triggers and GRV's. Repeated offenses in the same vein will escalate. You pretty much get a warning first before anything more serious gets penalized.
    i can understand that but his violation was intentional and intentional violations of the rules should have stricter punishments IMO. I deserved a warning for failure to maintain game state but he defiantly deserved something stronger IMO.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

i can understand that but it was intentional and intentional violations of the rules should have stricter punishments IMO. I deserved a warning for failure to maintain game state but he defiantly deserved something stronger IMO.
    The way rulings are judged is independent of the game state. A missed trigger in this game state is identical to one from another game state; as far as evaluating the penalty is concerned.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

If you build a deck with the primary goal of 'missing triggers', you haven't actually 'forgotten' about them, at least IMO. If they are not going on the stack during the game, you are clearly accounting for them in your intent.

That's very nebulous of course, so just examine the player's actions. You can't just 'speed' your way through a part of the game, that's asinine. Can you imagine how great combat would be? "I'm thinking abooooout... maaaaybe.... hmmmmmmmm. I miiight pass the tuuuuurn, or I miiiiiiiight...." opponent: "will you just GO alre-" you: "ZOMGATTACKYOUWITHEVERYTHING" *writes your new life total down* opponent "hey wtf man i'm not at 6 you didn't give me a chance to block" you: "well too bad, I already wrote it down"

I think the banning of Shahrazad sets a clear precedent for using tournament rules against the tournament. You shouldn't be able to build a deck that wins on the basis of time/space concessions which need to be made during a tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Based on the description the OP provided (nevermind if it actually happened, let's assume it's accurate); how would the ruling not be Game loss for the Crop Rotation player?
    I almost always side with my fellow judges, even in that PTQ Houston situation I think the ruling was right. I do not agree here, and there's no way I don't kick some one out of the tournament for that. I'll be bringing this up and reporting on it during our seminar. Behavior like this is not to be a part of a healthy community.

Thread Information