Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Blue] UR Landstill

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: [Blue] UR Landstill

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Most decks do not care about Tabernacle. The problem with Landstill is that it's very much a meta dependant control list. The modern Vintage landscape has evolved to a point where efficient creature strategies force too many concessions on an engine like Standstill. Frankly, at least in the NE of the United States and from what I can tell most of Europe, one would be hard pressed to actually run Standstill.
    I'm an optimist who believes that Landstill can make any concessions necessary in any metagame. Whether I'm a realist is up for debate :P I am brainstorming major changes to the list at the moment, so there will probably be a number of updates. I plan on winning Australia's Vintage Masters this year with Landstill, so stay tuned everyone and I will appreciate your constructive criticism on my lists.

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Most decks do not care about Tabernacle. The problem with Landstill is that it's very much a meta dependant control list. The modern Vintage landscape has evolved to a point where efficient creature strategies force too many concessions on an engine like Standstill. Frankly, at least in the NE of the United States and from what I can tell most of Europe, one would be hard pressed to actually run Standstill.
    Having just had to play against Tabernacle with Dredge on Sunday, I was floored by how much it hosed me (though it was out of Shops, not Landstill). Tabernacle is extremely strong when it's good.

Re: Standstill - I think it can still be viable, though it probably needs an assist from synergistic sweepers/removal (such as Engineered Explosives, Barbarian Ring) and may no longer be a 4-of in favor of supplemental help (e.g. Mystic Remora, Fact or Fiction?).

But I haven't played Landstill in a while so feel free to ignore me.

Wow, you have made some changes to your list indeed! How have you felt about the changes after playing around with it a little bit? Enjoying the changes or a bit frustrated with them even though you think they are competitively good changes?

This is my current URx Landstill decklist. Any thoughts or feedback is much appreciated as I'm still extremely new to the format (:
    Unpowered URx Landstill
    Lands (25)
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Creeping Tar Pit

Instants (21)
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mana Drain
    3 Lightning Bolt
    2 Misdirection
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Mental Misstep
    1 Steel Sabotage
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Chain of Vapor

Enchantments (4)
    4 Standstill

Artifacts (6)
    3 Engineered Explosives
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

Planeswalkers (4)
    4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard (Obviously tweak to meta)
    X Grafdigger's Cage
    X Ingot Chewer
    X Toxic Deluge
    X Yixlid Jailer/Leyline of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Notion Thief
    This is my current URx Landstill decklist. It differs quite a bit from many others I've seen, but with aggro decks being so popular I feel like the black splash is phenomenal and I like running Creeping Tar Pit for a Jace killer. Any thoughts or feedback is much appreciated as I'm still extremely new to the format (:
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I have been testing the changes, but variance is terrible against me at the moment, for some reason. Last night, my mate was wiping the floor with me using his Grixis control list. At one point he has seen Recall, FoW, Drain, Lotus, two MOXEN, Time Vault and Key. Fortunately I manage to EE the Time Vault away in response to the Key activation and subsequently Key itself, but of course he rips Yawgwill, gets it back and protects it using Lotus Mana, uses his one remaining Blue to flash back Recall and topdecks two MOXEN to play Key and activate...

Enough about my frustrations. The list performed well against MUD the other night. I felt that if he didn't get a broken start the matchup was OK as long as you play really tight. The Dismember, Steel Sabotage, and Hurkyl's were excellent there. The reduction of dead Counterspell helped also, Spell Pierce countered a clutch spell to allow me to continue to beat with Factory to win. I didn't play any postboard games but with an additional Steel Sabotage, 3 Chewer, Heretic, and Deluge, I would be confident winning. I feel better with only 4 dead cards preboard instead of 8.

Against Grixis I fear that it's got worse, however. My friend has started playing Flusterstorm mainboard, which fucked with my night majorly. Given that Dredge is laying low where I am, I might even come down to 5 pieces of Dredge hate to sneak another Counterspell in there for the Blue matchup, perhaps a REB. More testing needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by aahz View Post
    Having just had to play against Tabernacle with Dredge on Sunday, I was floored by how much it hosed me (though it was out of Shops, not Landstill). Tabernacle is extremely strong when it's good.

Re: Standstill - I think it can still be viable, though it probably needs an assist from synergistic sweepers/removal (such as Engineered Explosives, Barbarian Ring) and may no longer be a 4-of in favor of supplemental help (e.g. Mystic Remora, Fact or Fiction?).

But I haven't played Landstill in a while so feel free to ignore me.
    Tabernacle is pretty awful, really. Dredge is probably the only match up where it has a reasonable amount of play. It's also not a board card needed by Workshops to beat Dredge.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Purchasing the last Mana Drain and Library of Alexandria this next week so I finally have the deck fully built (:

Any feedback on the decklist would be appreciated. It's listed 2 posts up ^^
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Nice acquisitions! I have changed my list to better combat MUD and TNN, your list is more akin to my older one. Could I suggest at the moment it might be better to replace the Echoing Truth with a Hurkyl's Recall and the Chain of Vapor with Steel Sabotage? Also, you might want to consider playing with the number of Misdirection, Mental Misstep, and Mindbreak Trap in your list and Max out your Bolts and maybe slip in some Spell Pierce and Dismember. Testing is proving it's a lot stronger pre board against MUD and your matchup is definitely better than 50/50 over the course of 3 games.

Hey,

Played in a vintage event last weekend, 42 pple showed up so 6 rounds !
    Deck felt really good. Null Rod did alot of work in the control mu's.

R1 2-0 Monastery
    R2 2-0 Grixis Control
    R3 2-0 Mono U Belcher
    R4 1-2 MUD
    R5 2-0 Oath
    R6 ID Monastery
    QF 2-0 Oath
    SF 2-1 MUD
    F 1-2 MUD

4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland
    2 Faerie Conclave
    1 Steam Vents
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Library of Alexandria
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Mental Misstep
    3 Mana Drain
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Force of Will
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Treasure Cruise
    1 Time Walk
    1 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    4 Null Rod
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Mox Sapphire
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Island
    SB: 3 Pyroclasm
    SB: 4 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Flusterstorm
    SB: 4 Energy Flux
    SB: 3 Relic of Progenitus

Greetz

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Two losses against MUD, which Landstill is supposed to beat. How did you find Energy Flux? Consider some number of Ingot Chewers for faster interaction?

Yeah MUD is not a mu I'm afraid to play. I had some pretty bad luck. First MUD had t1 crucible which I FoW'ed and then he played lotus crucible, and kept a bad hand g3. In the finals I thought I had the final game because I was gonna cast E. Flux but he played tangle wire and I didnt drew a land(alrdy had 5 in play) for the next 6 turns. He followed with another tangle wire which gave him some time then he drew crucible ftw.
    Energy Flux was really good but I did miss the early interaction of Ingot Chewer. Its also a great follow up after a drain.
    Next time I play I will go -2 E. Flux -1 Relic +3 Ingot Chewer

Quote Originally Posted by rancOr_ View Post
    Yeah MUD is not a mu I'm afraid to play. I had some pretty bad luck. First MUD had t1 crucible which I FoW'ed and then he played lotus crucible, and kept a bad hand g3. In the finals I thought I had the final game because I was gonna cast E. Flux but he played tangle wire and I didnt drew a land(alrdy had 5 in play) for the next 6 turns. He followed with another tangle wire which gave him some time then he drew crucible ftw.
    Energy Flux was really good but I did miss the early interaction of Ingot Chewer. Its also a great follow up after a drain.
    Next time I play I will go -2 E. Flux -1 Relic +3 Ingot Chewer
    You seem weak to Dredge, is 2-3 Relic really enough to combat them?

standard 7 slots of 4 Grafdigger's Cage 3 Relic

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I've not liked non-creature MUD hate, but I"m going to test Energy Flux and see how it goes. It seems pretty powerful.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Also, I'm a little greedy and usually only run six Dredge-hate slots. Seems if you cut one Relic you'll end up at that number too. How do you feel about only six?

I think 6 is perfectly fine, there is not that much difference. I also think a split of Energy Flux and Ingot Chewer is best. Ancient grudge requires the green splash and Welder gets hit by chalice 1,although both very good.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

6 is the minimum I belive you can have and maintain a positive Dredge matchup. Lower and you are going to have to get lucky to win.

On Energy Flux, the "problem" with it is that at 3 mana, it can often be too late or too expensive (especially on the draw). It can wreck them in some cases (where it comes down early), but in others, it may well not deal with what you need it to. It's an odd paradox that surrounds the card in the sense that it is best when it can be landed early, yet the way to do that is to run more artifacts, which in turn makes Flux worse for you.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Deck is copping a White splash at the moment!

American Landstill

2 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Tundra
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Library of Alexandria