Thread: Knowing Your Strengths and Weaknesses

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Knowing Your Strengths and Weaknesses

Do you guys ever reflect on what you are good at in this game and what you aren't good at? If so, how do you generally improve whatever it that you are bad at? For example, I know I am extremely bad about trying to play too quickly and missing obvious interactions or missing triggers. How would I improve this? Just by slowing down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Re: Knowing Your Strengths and Weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Do you guys ever reflect on what you are good at in this game and what you aren't good at? If so, how do you generally improve whatever it that you are bad at? For example, I know I am extremely bad about trying to play too quickly and missing obvious interactions or missing triggers. How would I improve this? Just by slowing down?
    slow down. As you go through the turn, recite the steps of the turn in your head. untap, upkeep, draw, main 1, attack, main 2, end. For example, when you get to "upkeep" look to see if there are any cards with triggers, before you pass priority, look at your hand and see if you have anything to cast.

When your opponent does something, activates abilities or casts spells or attacks or ends his turn, respond with "thinking". Look for triggers, scan your hand for responses.

This process seems tedious but as you become a better magic player it becomes second hand. You'll find that scanning the battlefield for triggers / responses is very fast and often times won't take but 1 second.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

In regards to missing obvious interactiins and such, try thinking about as many different lines as possible. It sounds obvious but even small things like this can make a huge difference. Whenever you're faced with a tough decision between two different lines, keep them in mind throughout the game so you can decide afterwards which line would have been better overall.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I like to play in stupidly formal settings. What you can get away with in your weekly game and what you can get away with in formal games happen to be world's apart. You learn fast that way.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

I'm told that I'm really good at looking like I'm not losing when I'm losing.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I usually do poor when I play tournaments with 5+ rounds. My brain stamina sucks I guess.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Tormod View Post
    I'm told that I'm really good at looking like I'm not losing when I'm losing.
    This is important. There are a few players at my local that are very good at this, and even though I feel like I am dominating, their face throws me off and sometimes it makes me do a different play thinking that aren't just dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    This is important. There are a few players at my local that are very good at this, and even though I feel like I am dominating, their face throws me off and sometimes it makes me do a different play thinking that aren't just dead.
    its just about bluffing really. Always play like you have outs or a plan. Never concede.

Example: I took all the bounce spells out of my Sneak and show deck against bug once. He landed a ensnaring bridge. i knew i was drawing dead to it but I don't concede. I landed a blood moon and he coundnt cast anything. he filled his hand and griselbrand was able to swing through for the win.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    In regards to missing obvious interactiins and such, try thinking about as many different lines as possible. It sounds obvious but even small things like this can make a huge difference. Whenever you're faced with a tough decision between two different lines, keep them in mind throughout the game so you can decide afterwards which line would have been better overall.
    I have two flipped Delvers, opponent is at three life, I tap the Delvers to win. Opponent plays Pyroblast which I do not Spell Pierce, because he'd just pay two and kills the Delver, so there's no point, moreover the second Delver kills him, so what. I'd rather keep Pierce in case he has Bolt for the second insect. Ok, REB resolves, Delver is Dead, take three, gg?

No, he rather Abruptly Decayed the second Delver.
    (I've lost this game several turns later.)

I learned my lesson.

Next time I played against a Gobo pilot. He had that Goblin which returns Goblin cards from gy, and so he returned a Goblin Edict to hand in upkeep. (I played RUG again and I hadn't Stifle unfortunately). Then he tapped for the Edict and kept few mana open, one of them been Cavern. He also had another card in hand.
    My hand was Spell Pierce and Spell Snare. Guess what I played... Spell Pierce. This way he tapped most of his remaining mana, but then I Snared the Edict. If I'd just Snared it, he would have lots of mana to play some gobo I couldn't counter (Snare hits only Piledriver, moreover he had that Cavern), so SPiercing the Edict even though it did nothing was the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I usually do poor when I play tournaments with 5+ rounds. My brain stamina sucks I guess.
    This. :-D

I think sometimes I stick with decks longer than I should. This isn't entirely my fault, budget factors into it, but it's not like I'm actually locked into one deck. I guess it's okay though because I've only played legacy for about 11 months, and I'm still learning a lot. I'm the kind of player who likes to stick with a deck for a long time to try and learn it inside/out. This can probably be a strength and a weakness.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

So.... you Play Legacy since 11 months and have the feeling that you are sticking with one deck for too long? What am I not getting?

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    I think sometimes I stick with decks longer than I should. This isn't entirely my fault, budget factors into it, but it's not like I'm actually locked into one deck. I guess it's okay though because I've only played legacy for about 11 months, and I'm still learning a lot. I'm the kind of player who likes to stick with a deck for a long time to try and learn it inside/out. This can probably be a strength and a weakness.
    Depending on what deck you're referring to, this is probably essential. I know for my part the last time that I brought Spring Tide to a tournament (5, 6, 7 years ago) it was after a bit of a hiatus, and I foolishly thought I could just walk in and goldfish turn 3s and turn 2s like I had previously.

Nope.

It wasn't even interference from others, though I'd never actually seen Iona until that tournament ("Wait, lemme read that… oh."). I failed myself pretty hard, making poor choices that led to my own demise. If you're playing any similarly convoluted deck (or more-so), then you goldfish that clown every chance you get, for as often as you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    So.... you Play Legacy since 11 months and have the feeling that you are sticking with one deck for too long? What am I not getting?

Greetings
    Well, to give an example, I was playing Shardless BUG since July of last summer and only stopped playing it a couple weeks ago to switch to BUG Delver, which I think I should have done a month or two ago. Is a metagame shift not a good enough reason to switch decks?

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    Well, to give an example, I was playing Shardless BUG since July of last summer and only stopped playing it a couple weeks ago to switch to BUG Delver, which I think I should have done a month or two ago. Is a metagame shift not a good enough reason to switch decks?
    Depends on what type of player you are. I've been playing Miracles since it was a deck. I've tried switching decks ever since but it just didn't ever work out - so I am still on Miracles, always with a "new and fancy second deck" (which I won't play - because... Miracles and stuff).

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Depends on what type of player you are. I've been playing Miracles since it was a deck. I've tried switching decks ever since but it just didn't ever work out - so I am still on Miracles, always with a "new and fancy second deck" (which I won't play - because... Miracles and stuff).

Greetings
    True. I guess I'm more of a jack-of-all-trades kind of player. At heart my favorite archetype is control, but I actually mostly play midrange and tempo. Though I'm not afraid to play something that doesn't fit with my preferred playstyle in general. Being mostly spike, I'll play what it takes to win or what has game against most of the field.

EDIT: I said mostly spike. I do have some Johnny in me. For example, I think I'm going to play BUG Delver for a while. I think a pure spike would lean towards UWR Delver instead, but I just love playing decks with blue and black cards in legacy too much.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

I am really bad at overextending into sweepers :/

I play too slowly but I love controlly decks like Miracles and always get draws. Stoneblade is better but still getting draws. Now switching to Merfolk :-)

Thread Information