View Poll Results: Should True-Name Nemesis be banned

Voters
388. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

177 45.62%
  • No.

211 54.38%
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like to see True-Name Nemesis gone?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Re: Would you like to see True-Name Nemesis gone?

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Because there are negative consequences associated with banning cards with respect to consumer confidence in the format and in Magic products.
    I'm really on the fence about the whole thing. I definitely wish they hadn't printed the card but I acknowledge that banning it could set a precedence. If WotC does acknowledge the public outcry over this card, I hope their approach to banning it would be an intelligent one. Perhaps something similar to the ante cards - "TNN was designed with multiplayer in mind and thus shouldn't be played in a 1v1 format".

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Yeah, that's bullshit.
    The fact that you pretend that you can't see the difference is bullshit.

Thought experiment: if Wizards printed a card that is totally bonkers and breaks every single format, would you consider the situation completely rectified if they emergency banned the card after the card has been released but before it is officially legal (i.e. during the prerelease period)? Or would you consider it a fuckup of epic proportions?

Oct 2013
    Seattle, WA

Like others have said, I'd be happier if it weren't in the format because of its really boring, uninteractive design (and the fact that it's in blue...)

That said, it doesn't seem format-warping enough to be banworthy

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Just saw the SCG Delver mirror match. Wow. Such excitement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    If a card actively makes the format worse for existing, why wouldn't you ban it?
    Because "worse for existing" in this context is entirely subjective, and you know it. The day that becomes valid criteria for banning is the day the format comes apart at the seams. There are plenty of people who believe(d) that Lackey made the format worse for existing. Or FoW. Or Brainstorm. Or Tarmogoyf. Or Top. Or Show and Tell. Or any other number of cards. That doesn't mean they're right.

The only objective way to judge whether a card makes the format "worse" is whether it's warping the format, and even that is extremely subjective, albeit somewhat less so. (Cue Brainstorm banning argument for the next 50 pages.)

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

More super exciting TNN action on SCG stream.

EDIT: Hadn't internalized that TNN stops Jitte too. So fucking glad I play combo atm. This is a travesty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Just saw the SCG Delver mirror match. Wow. Such excitement.
    I wished the other guy topdecked a Jitte as well so they could both hammer each other with 2 TNNs and a Jitte. So many decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    So fucking glad I play combo atm. This is a travesty.
    So true.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Thought experiment: if Wizards printed a card that is totally bonkers and breaks every single format, would you consider the situation completely rectified if they emergency banned the card after the card has been released but before it is officially legal (i.e. during the prerelease period)? Or would you consider it a fuckup of epic proportions?
    This is similar to what happened with Memory Jar back in the day.
    http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...?Article=10023

Also, Hulk-Flash happened.

WOTC prints a lot of cards, and mistakes happen. Banning mistakes is a good thing. It would have been easy to print True-Name Nemesis so that it worked in Commander but wasn't abusive in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    (Cue Brainstorm banning argument for the next 50 pages.)
    7/8 at this weeks SCG.Yay stale as a day old fart!

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

First creatures came for the combo players
    and you didn't speak out because you weren't a combo player.

Then creatures came for the control players
    and you didn't speak out because you weren't a control player.

Then creatures came for the gimmick players
    and you didn't speak out because you weren't a gimmick player

Then creatures came for you
    and there were no spells left to play for you
    11th at SCG Baltimore - 6/02/2013
    2nd at SCG Philadelphia - 6/23/2013
    28th at SCG Worcester - 7/07/2013

Oct 2004
    Earth

I don't think TNN is something Legacy can't handle. I voted yes mostly because I don't like the card design. But I also really hate the trend Wizards has started with printing a single, RARE Legacy bomb in every commander set and making so many pay a lot of money for one card and a pile of worthless commander cards just to keep up. Then they conclude how popular commander is, and repeat the scam. There should be a law against rubbish like that. Actually I suspect the majority of cards from boosters end in the garbage bin sooner or later. Hasbro is a mass producer of garbage.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

No way! He's not even close to as good as tarmogoyf was when he first got printed. Three mana gets you show and fucking tell. Give me a break. It seems like every time there's a new sheriff in town people want to ban the shit out of him. Just skim through the banned thread to see what I mean. Not too long ago people wanted to ban deathrite shaman!

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    No way! He's not even close to as good as tarmogoyf was when he first got printed. Three mana gets you show and fucking tell. Give me a break. It seems like every time there's a new sheriff in town people want to ban the shit out of him. Just skim through the banned thread to see what I mean. Not too long ago people wanted to ban deathrite shaman!
    I think that most people want it banned not because it's too powerful, but because it's a terribly designed card that makes for terribly uninteresting games of Magic.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Quote Originally Posted by warai View Post
    I think we should give 2 months or so for the meta to adapt and then formulate opinions. Now is way too soon ;)
    True-Name Nemesis has only been legal for a few weeks. It should be given at least a few months before deciding if it is banworthy.
    InfoNinjas

Aug 2013
    Georgia

I don't understand this mindset. Fighting games have the same thing going for them; new revision of a game comes out, suddenly every change to the character they don't play is broken and needs to be nerfed. Oh no, TNN makes me consider changing my deck to deal with him! BAN!

All these ban crying advocates own decks like Death and Taxes. TNN is forcing them to change decks.

The real problem is Show and Tell, just look at all the Sneak and Show players winning trophies and titles by slaying the TNN decks.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    All these ban crying advocates own decks like Death and Taxes. TNN is forcing them to change decks.

The real problem is Show and Tell, just look at all the Sneak and Show players winning trophies and titles by slaying the TNN decks.
    But D&T (at least the flyer-heavy version with SoFaI) has already proven that they can easily race TNN. And D&T is favored against Sneak & Show.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by bjholmes3 View Post
    I don't understand this mindset. Fighting games have the same thing going for them; new revision of a game comes out, suddenly every change to the character they don't play is broken and needs to be nerfed. Oh no, TNN makes me consider changing my deck to deal with him! BAN!
    I'm not sure if I speak for everyone, but I don't hate TNN because it is broken. I hate it because it leads to very uninteractive games, and it happens to be extremely powerful. I'll probably be playing exclusively TNN builds when I find out exactly what I want to play, and I'm probably looking to acquire another playset reluctantly.

I don't play fighting games. But I am familiar enough with Super Street Fighter to know that after every few characters in the tournament mode, you get a stage where you try to kick the crap out of a car or some boxes, rather than a non-playable character. TNN has the effect of reducing Magic matches to something like that.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Gone? Yes. Banned? No.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Gone? Yes. Banned? No.
    +1

Thread Information